Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
69 registered members (barbaram, Animisha, ando, 5penguins, Bobby Simons, AlphaBravoCharlie, 36251, CharlesXX, clothearednincompo, 14 invisible), 2,877 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2848619
05/16/19 01:44 AM
05/16/19 01:44 AM
Auckland, New Zealand
T
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ted  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T

Auckland, New Zealand
56. Sam S - November Fire
I actually thought it probably was Satie and I started visualising street scenes at night by Edouard Cortes. It's a nice piece, and you play it expressively; it suits the character of your piano sound too.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2848624
05/16/19 01:56 AM
05/16/19 01:56 AM
Queensland Australia
MarieJ Offline
Gold Subscriber
MarieJ  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Queensland Australia
11. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Little Wood-bird (Waldvoglein) (Op. 77, No. 15) Another new-to-me piece; these Recitals provide a treasure-trove of new possibilities. It certainly didn’t sound ‘easy’ to me, though. Well done!

12. cmb13 - Craig - Autumn Song - October Your playing (and your venerable Steinway) captured all of the quiet wistfulness? sadness? regret? of Autumn. That was lovely.

13. EdmondRhapsody - Faded I can see why this piece stayed with you, it’s melodious and catchy. I’ve added it to my ‘maybe one day’ list. Nicely played!

14. peterws - Wistful Thinking Wistful because the young lady is growing up? Delightful, Peter.

15. lyricmudra - Venetian Boat Song No. 1 (Songs Without Words Op. 19 No. 6) A really beautiful piece, played superbly - I’m so glad you found time to learn and record this to share with us!

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]XXXVIII-LV

My C3 - solace.
Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2848645
05/16/19 04:37 AM
05/16/19 04:37 AM
Queensland Australia
MarieJ Offline
Gold Subscriber
MarieJ  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Queensland Australia
16. noobpianist90 - Two Part Invention in C Major BWV 772 A lovely flowing rendition. Congratulations, not only for polishing it to this high standard in such a short time, but also for recording it in a single take. That’s something I can only dream about.

17. Jason Lenthe - Important Event That piece is reminiscent of a fanfare - which would be appropriate for an ‘important event’. You handled it very well.

18. Ted Jones - Improvisation I look forward to your entries, Ted - so much going on, evoking so many images. This one uncertainly didn’t disappoint!

19. Associate X (Liz) - Tchaikovsky- Seasons (June- Barcarolle) Ah - another wonderful piece from Tchaikovsky’s Seasons, and yes, it was very enjoyable.

20. sinophilia - Waltz in G# minor Op. 39 no. 3 I didn’t hear a ‘glaring’ wrong note - which confirms the idea that we are all our own toughest critics smile. Beautifully played!

My C3 - solace.
Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room [Re: MarieJ] #2848652
05/16/19 04:54 AM
05/16/19 04:54 AM
Auckland, New Zealand
T
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ted  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T

Auckland, New Zealand
Originally Posted by MarieJ

18. Ted Jones - Improvisation I look forward to your entries, Ted - so much going on, evoking so many images. This one uncertainly didn’t disappoint!

Thanks for listening, Marie, glad you like it. I'm not very good at formal composition, possibly because ideas have to be excluded, and I find that hard to do. Images and associations are part of the joy of listening to music, so I am pleased my playing triggers them for you.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2848668
05/16/19 06:38 AM
05/16/19 06:38 AM
Queensland Australia
MarieJ Offline
Gold Subscriber
MarieJ  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Queensland Australia
21. Monica K. - Song for Gavin Another Einaudi first - the hauntingly beautiful ‘Song for Gavin’ has never appeared in an ABF Recital before. As always, Monica, your performance inspires, and sets a benchmark for the rest of us. I’m thrilled that you were still able to participate despite everything that’s going on in your life at the moment.

22. facdo - Invention No.13 in A minor, BWV 784 I’m unable to give technical feedback, but I can certainly give applause - a spirited rendition, nice work!

23. barbaram - Prelude No 2 in D Minor BWV 940 How true - the more our playing improves, the more demanding our expectations, so there’s always that ‘gulf’. Your hard work shows - that was lovely!

24. Riddler (Ed) - Maiden Voyage ‘Floating and ambiguous’ describes this unusual piece accurately. I can add ‘and very enjoyable’!

25. Palmpirate - The Prophet Bird That was quite an amazing piece, not at all what I expected. Beautiful, so delicately played - congratulations!

My C3 - solace.
Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2848782
05/16/19 12:09 PM
05/16/19 12:09 PM
B
barbaram Online content

1000 Post Club Member
barbaram  Online Content

1000 Post Club Member
B

First batch: 1-21 and 50 - 56
Terrific mix of familiar and new (to me)!

01. wouter79 - Melodious Studies, op.45 Nr.8 Barcarolle
Lovely piece, so much more than the idea of a “study” or “etude” would suggest. You and your teacher may have areas for further improvement in mind, but coming to it fresh this was a delight with really engaging rhythm, flow and harmonies.

02. Claudemir Medeiros - Lua Branca
Very nice character to this piece, and you have a lovely flow and great accuracy.

03. Mosotti - Prelude in E minor Op.28 No.4
Super job for the amount of time you have been playing. Don’t think I could do anything like as well and I have a lot more years under my belt!

04. Peyton - Porz Goret
Lovely. I really enjoy the soothing, mesmeric quality of Tiersen. Love Glass too, but soothing is perhaps not the adjective I’d apply to his work

05. MarieJ - Limbo
I know exactly what you mean about the challenge of extracting the music. You have certainly succeeded here, this was a very enjoyable performance

06. Jerzyk19 - Pamietam Twoje Oczy

Fab, I love the piece and you have done a great job. I’m extra impressed that you have adapted this from an accordion arrangement. Bravo

07. akc42 Alan Chander - BWV 974 Adagio
Lovely, gentle flow throughout, very nice

08. KevinM - Song without words Opus 30.3
I very much like the contrast between deeper, more intense phrases and lighter, gentler ones

09. Sandalholme - Nocturne Op62 No1
Lovely dreamy quality, though I sure was jolted awake by your marvellous flourish around the 2 min mark

10. Thomas - Maple Leaf Rag
I loved the energy of this – it bounces along but never feels rushed

11. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Little Wood-bird (Waldvoglein) (Op. 77, No. 15) What a sweet little piece, you did a great job with it

12. cmb13 - Craig - Autumn Song - October
Very evocative! I feel the bittersweet nostalgia of misty cool afternoons walking through falling leaves, and cosy evenings by the fire

13. EdmondRhapsody - Faded
Lovely, this works very well as a piano solo piece

14. peterws - Wistful Thinking
Great stuff Peter

15. lyricmudra - Venetian Boat Song No. 1 (Songs Without Words Op. 19 No. 6)
Beautifully done

16. noobpianist90 - Two Part Invention in C Major BWV 772
Lovely – I particularly enjoyed the interplay of the voices which I think you have balanced beautifully, and your graceful ornaments

17. Jason Lenthe - Important Event
As I listen to your piece I can really imagine a little boy all dressed up for an important event, perhaps a little suit and short trousers, and taking himself and the event very seriously indeed!

18. Ted Jones - Improvisation
Wow, amazing to be able to improvise like this

19. Associate X (Liz) - Tchaikovsky- Seasons (June- Barcarolle) Great moody opening! There is a melancholy here, at first anyway, that surprises me for a piece entitled “June”

20. sinophilia - Waltz in G# minor Op. 39 no. 3
Gorgeous, you have really succeeded in creating a beautiful rich sound, well done

21. Monica K. - Song for Gavin
So glad to hear your lovely performance in this recital Monica. We’re all rooting for you.

50. zsolpyW - Unforgiven
Terrific!

51. lvojnovic - Regen (Little rain)
Cute piece, you create that sense of rain very effectively

52. PikaPianist - Toccata in F minor
Bravo! Exquisite

53. Ralphiano (real name is a secret!) - Fin des vacanses
Another lovely Tansman piece, and very nicely done.
I look forward to hearing your Clementi too. It’s a chunky undertaking though, and I’m sure it will benefit from the additional time to really settle and mature for you.

54. Piano_primo_1 - Ave Maria Based on Prelude by JS Bach
Such a lovely familiar piece, and the flute adds great interest

55. Tyrone Slothrop - The Song of Twilight
What a lovely piece. It’s familiar but I didn’t know what it was. You’ve done a great job with it, well done

56. Sam S - November Fire
There have been quite a few brooding pieces in this recital and this is right up there! It strikes me too as the kind of piece where you really need to let the pauses and silences count. I enjoyed it a lot.
Thanks for introducing me to something new, and thank you so much for taking on the job of organising this recital. Much appreciated.

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2848784
05/16/19 12:10 PM
05/16/19 12:10 PM
Georgia, USA
Sam S Offline

3000 Post Club Member
Sam S  Offline

3000 Post Club Member

Georgia, USA
Excellent recital, as usual - Skipping around among the classical pieces...

22. facdo - Invention No.13 in A minor, BWV 784 - Well done! My only suggestion - experiment with different articulations, especially detached notes.

23. barbaram - Prelude No 2 in D Minor BWV 940 This is one of my favorites - love the minor key and chord progressions. Excellent!

25. Palmpirate - The Prophet Bird How have I never heard this before? So odd - sounds just like a bird! And then the middle section was very different - loved your legato playing there. Loved it!

26. Snejana - "A Walk in the Forest" - Medley of three pieces by composers from three different eras that follow one imaginative story. Scherzo by Dmitri Kabalevsky; Peaceful Calm by Rick Robertson; Walking Piece by Igor Stravinsky. Very creative programming - and excellent playing! I think they worked well together.

28. snowfox - A minor waltz Can't tell it's above your level! Sounded great!

29. Ganddalf - Mallorca (Barcarolle) Op.202 I can see why you like it so much. You can break your rules anytime! excellent playing as usual.

30. thepianoplayer416 - Keyboard Suite in D Minor (HWV437) Allemande & Courante Excellent! Cool how your piano changed color in the middle of the video! (just kidding)...

31. RogerRL - Etude 9 I'm not a Glass fan, but I liked this - you handled it well.

33. QuasiUnaFantasia - Moonlight sonata, 2nd movement Nicely done! Loved the dynamic contrasts.

34. ThePld - Ballad of The Earth That's a well-written piece - and well played!

37. JoBert - Adagio (KV 540) Excellent - loved the contrasts! Sounds like an opera overture...

38. torquenale (Alessandra) - Espana - Prelude Prelude to a bullfight? Sounds like you are ready! Good luck in your recital!

39. Moo smile - Morceaux de fantaisie, Serenade (1892 version) OK, when you get really going, the camera starts shaking! Good job!

40. joangolfing - Bourree One and Two (French Overture) BWV 831 Sounds like all you hard work has paid off - these are really excellent!

More to come!
Sam

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2848809
05/16/19 12:44 PM
05/16/19 12:44 PM
Salish Sea
Qwerty53 Offline

Silver Supporter until Sept 10 2020
Qwerty53  Offline

Silver Supporter until Sept 10 2020

Salish Sea
07. akc42 Alan Chander - BWV 974 Adagio Heavenly. What a beautiful piece! I hope to play it someday.

08. KevinM - Song without words Opus 30.3 You played this with great sensitivity.

09. Sandalholme - Nocturne Op62 No1 I enjoyed your beautiful nocturne. Your reported loss of concentration and speaker noise were not evident to me, but then again the last time I heard this piece, the pianist was interrupted by a fire alarm! Wonderful to hear the whole thing so well played.

10. Thomas - Maple Leaf Rag Such a buoyant piece of music, and you play it with considerable dash and energy, just as it should be! Although perhaps a bit too fast?

11. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Little Wood-bird (Waldvoglein) (Op. 77, No. 15) Beautiful choice, and you played it very well, with nice handling of the balance between voices.

”Mister Upright,” Yamaha YUS5.
Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2848818
05/16/19 01:05 PM
05/16/19 01:05 PM
Florida
R
Riddler Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Riddler  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R

Florida
03. Mosotti - Prelude in E minor Op.28 No.4
But oh, there is nothing that soothes the soul after a trying day better than a bit of Chopin! Beautiful playing!

The beginning of this piece reminds me a lot of the beginning “Winter” from Vivaldi’s “The Seasons”. I wonder if there was a connection. In any case, good playing on your part.

08. KevinM - Song without words Opus 30.3
Wonderful expression, with a feeling of warmth and serenity. Well done.

Very spirited, musical, enjoyable. Cool video, too!

11. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Little Wood-bird (Waldvoglein) (Op. 77, No. 15)
Charming short piece. Nicely done!

14. peterws - Wistful Thinking
Peter, that was terrific! Wonderful melodies, harmonies, arranging. Your creations are getting better as you age, in spite of your humble pronouncements!

15. lyricmudra - Venetian Boat Song No. 1 (Songs Without Words Op. 19 No. 6)
Lovely, very musical and appealing.

Ed

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2848829
05/16/19 01:27 PM
05/16/19 01:27 PM
Santa Fe, NM
J
jotur Offline
Gold Level
jotur  Offline
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J

Santa Fe, NM
28. snowfox - A minor waltz lovely, and a delicate feel to it.

27. Ralph L. - Someone Like You I like the use of the background - the full-production feel. Very well done.

26. Snejana - A Walk in the Forest Well done, nice choices for the medley, very calm and peaceful feeling.

24. Riddler - Maiden Voyage I am always awed by your adventurousness into this music, and this was cool - I had images of contemplating a spring evening looking out over city lights.

23. barbaram - Prelude Bach! You did this justice. I liked it a lot.

21. Monica K. - Song for Gavin Your music is so easing and beautiful that I think you should listen to all your past cds in order to give yourself space in this time of trouble. This was beautiful.

20. sinophilia - Waltz in G# minor You continue to impress me with your progress and focus. This was so well-played and I loved it.

19. Associate X - Seasons I didn't know I'd recognize this smile I thought you handled the dynamics and flourishes well.

17. Jason Lenthe - Important Event I loved it! So jolly and jaunty, and your touch was perfect.

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps “more music” is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2848851
05/16/19 02:18 PM
05/16/19 02:18 PM
Bay area, CA
R
RogerRL Offline
RogerRL  Offline
R

Bay area, CA
Originally Posted by Peyton
31. RogerRL- I was looking forward to hearing this. I've been working on a number of glass's etudes, this one included, so its really nice to hear other players interpretations. You did well. That last section, where it slows to 120, I think is the toughest.
those simultaneous leaps in both hands certainly required a lot of work. And you can hear the pause as I was trying so hard not to make a mistake there; I'm still working on getting that section seamless.

Shigaru Kawai SK-2, Kawai MP11SE
Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2848860
05/16/19 02:40 PM
05/16/19 02:40 PM
Georgia, USA
Sam S Offline

3000 Post Club Member
Sam S  Offline

3000 Post Club Member

Georgia, USA
More, mostly classical...

41. Mr. Super-Hunky - Song from a secret garden I love this Mr S-H. You may have found your true style!

42. schinl - Prelude Op.23 No.4 Your hard work definitely paid off. I admire Rachmaninoff a lot, but have never played any of his pieces - maybe some day. Well done!

43. jotur/Cathy Turner - Victory March Cathy, this is so cool! Bringing back to life the music composed by your family. A really interesting project and great playing - yes I can hear the band in there somewhere...

44. dumka1 - "April" (Snowdrop) from "The Seasons" Well, it certainly sounds "difficult". Excellent!

45. Qwerty53 - Still Blue Loved your description! And the music!

47. oneilt130 - Sonatina Op 36 No 2nd Movement It wouldn't be a student recital without Clementi! Well done.

48. Serge88 - Sonata "Pathetique" no.8 op.13 2nd mvt Very nice - loved the video, with all the different camera angles. Must have been multiple takes, or do you have that many cameras? Wish I had a monitor that big on my old piano...

49. Purrblast - Gigue in C Major (Sarabande con Partite in C Major, BWV 990, Var 16) Very energetic - loved it!

51. lvojnovic - Regen (Little rain) What fun! Well done!

52. PikaPianist - Toccata in F minor I'm speechless - outstanding!

53. Ralphiano (real name is a secret!) - Fin des vacanses Very well done! Next time - Clementi...

54. Piano_primo_1 - Ave Maria Based on Prelude by JS Bach I play this with my wife on recorder or clarinet - nicely done.

55. Tyrone Slothrop - The Song of Twilight I got so caught up in trying to figure out your home page link that I forgot to listen!

01. wouter79 - Melodious Studies, op.45 Nr.8 Barcarolle You bring out the LH melody very well - sounds great!

02. Claudemir Medeiros - Lua Branca Nicely done - love Brazilian music!

03. Mosotti - Prelude in E minor Op.28 No.4 Love the little nuances you include!

04. Peyton - Porz Goret I've never heard this - loved it! Your videos are always so artistic - and they match your pieces very well...

07. akc42 Alan Chander - BWV 974 Adagio I love this piece - sounds even better in the original with wind instrument and strings. Very well done!

08. KevinM - Song without words Opus 30.3 I used to play this one - I just love Mendelssohn. Very nice!

09. Sandalholme - Nocturne Op62 No1 Very sensitive playing!

10. Thomas - Maple Leaf Rag Nicely done - my suggestion - slow it down. If you slow it down you can play it cleaner, and I think Joplin always said not to play his pieces fast.

11. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Little Wood-bird (Waldvoglein) (Op. 77, No. 15) Well done - loved the ending!

12. cmb13 - Craig - Autumn Song - October Very sensitive playing - loved it!

14. peterws - Wistful Thinking Excellent tinkering around!

15. lyricmudra - Venetian Boat Song No. 1 (Songs Without Words Op. 19 No. 6) I've always loved this piece! Excellent!

16. noobpianist90 - Two Part Invention in C Major BWV 772 Very confident!

17. Jason Lenthe - Important Event Outstanding - you played it like you meant it!

19. Associate X (Liz) - Tchaikovsky- Seasons (June- Barcarolle) This is the only one of the seasons that I have played - it's so bittersweet - very Russian. Loved it!

20. sinophilia - Waltz in G# minor Op. 39 no. 3 I agree with you about the multiple takes - you should be happy with this one!

Sam

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2848873
05/16/19 02:58 PM
05/16/19 02:58 PM
Russia
B
Balezin Dmitry Offline
Balezin Dmitry  Offline
B

Russia
01. wouter79 - Melodious Studies, op.45 Nr.8 Barcarolle
I liked the ending a lot... and I wanted to here more od those
high pitched melodies.

02. Claudemir Medeiros - Lua Branca
I feel like it should be played by several guitars (2 or three). I can alomost here it. Interesting melodies.

03. Mosotti - Prelude in E minor Op.28 No.4 (to do)
When I see someone who has started not so long ago (as me) I kind of
pray for the piece to be well played (to assure myself that WE can do it). I liked your playing a lot. Chpoin is great!

04. Peyton - Porz Goret
I love Tiersen a lot...I play 3 of his things. And this one was new to me. I liked how it developed...layers of melodies are slowly added. Soothing.

05. MarieJ - Limbo
Ludovico Einaudi - I love him...I see it's popular. And I don't care that somebody says that He's too simple...I love the tunes and feel. You played it well. I'd like to watch your fingers move playing those melodies...it's a bit like trance.

06. Jerzyk19 - Pamietam Twoje Oczy
Fron the first chords it was WOW...so assurtive after only 2 year 10 moths...I mean, I feel confidence and skill. Great...ok. Wrote this after 10 sec. of watching. Now I feel bad about my own hands position and technique...You've made great progress. Just great.

I feel that Bach is very "deep" and one can study and polish any piece
forever. Nicely played.

09. Sandalholme - Nocturne Op62 No1
I like special effects and that "fast run" was a nice surprize.
Lovely playing

Great movie...very atmospheric. I feel like I'm watching black and white movie with no words. Great skills. Loved it.

11. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Little Wood-bird (Waldvoglein) (Op. 77, No. 15)
Great playing. Interesting melody. One can really imagine a bird singing among trees.

I just can't live without some music in my life
Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2848914
05/16/19 04:26 PM
05/16/19 04:26 PM
Alagoas - Brazil
C
Claudemir Offline
Claudemir  Offline
C

Alagoas - Brazil
Thank you guys. I'm glad you like this piece of slow choro.

If you are interested in listening professionals playing choros, please listen to "Época de Ouro" (Golden Age) celebrating the history of choro wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR98R_I2FxU

Last edited by Claudemir; 05/16/19 04:27 PM.

Started learning on December 2016.

Nowadays studying classical plus pop music.

My Youtube channel
Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2848922
05/16/19 05:01 PM
05/16/19 05:01 PM
W
Whizbang Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Whizbang  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
W

Originally Posted by Thomas
This time I am submitting my performance of Scott Joplin's Maple Leaf Rag since I am looking for advice on how to perform this better. So far I feel like my rhythm may have been off, but my issue is that I don't know when to use the pedal. I haven't found much info about this on the web so I am curious as to what you guys on here may think.

This was very nice.

I liked the intro quite a lot.

I think you are correctly assessing that you've got some rhythm issues going on. Your left hand is super solid, good job navigating the jumps, particularly in the difficult C section.

Your right hand, though, is wobbly, especially in the repeated right hand figure in measures 1-4 in the A section which have a kind of limping quality. I think this comes down to two factors: 1) I think the tempo you are aiming for is a good one, but it is pushing or rushing your technique 2) you are having some mechanical issues with the figure.

For the latter, I think it may be because you are playing the notes with just finger articulation, but regardless, I think if you dial the tempo back in general, your right hand figures will become more even, you'll get fewer 'clipped-sounding' notes, and you'll be able to tweak the movements at a slower pace until they work better at the faster pace.

In terms of pedaling, you are correct that there is not often a lot of guidance in many printed rags. Where Joplin has something notated, it usually indicated he means it, but there is no notation here.

Your basic ragtime pedal decision is going to be between no pedal or pedaling twice per measure. Because of the stride bass, if you choose not to pedal, you're going to get a pretty significant chop in the bass as the dampers alternatively suppress the boom and the chuck. Pedaling twice makes the bass more of an extended chord and you can then choose to make the sound fuller by holding the pedal longer or crisper by lifting the pedal on the chuck. When the bass walks, it generally makes sense to not pedal so that the sound does not get muddy.

From a notation standpoint, Maple Leaf is notated extremely sparsely (too sparsely IMO), but note that the ascending arpeggiated figure in measures 7 and 8 is marked p, which the following measure starting at mf followed by a crescendo and, while you don't necessarily have to follow that as written, ragtime benefits from applying some dynamic variation--if played at constant volume it can become a little mind-numbing. Joplin's later rags definitely tend to offer more dynamic guidance.

In the B section. you are nailing measure 5, which is one of my trouble measures. You start with an octave variation, which is nice. These types of variations are (almost certainly) representative of performance practice. These variations also help deal a bit with the monotony issue I mention... within a given section a common ragtime 'stanza' is ABAC... with the repeat, that would be ABAC ABAC and that's a lot of times you have to hear A. Variations help keep things fresh.

(Generally, my teach usually prefers that I play the first time straight and only introduce variants on the repeats.)

For your C section, you are nailing some tough stuff.

Both C and D sound pretty solid. You push the rhythm a couple times in C and D. Nice variations at the end of D.

Overall you do a good job of avoiding tempo creep, a personal issue I struggle with, though I think you're rushing a bit towards the end.

I think all the above boils down to a recommendation to dial back on the tempo some, so you can fix evenness and can fully articulate the notes. At this point, it sort of feels like the music is coming at you a little bit faster than you are mechanically/mentally able to process it.

As for pedal, play around and see what you like.

Again, nice job.

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2848940
05/16/19 06:09 PM
05/16/19 06:09 PM
Sheffield, UK
K
KevinM Online content
500 Post Club Member
KevinM  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
K

Sheffield, UK
I was going to add a few further notes on the pieces I especially loved but I am just going to leave it to this one which has a personal connection.

33. QuasiUnaFantasia - Moonlight sonata, 2nd movement

I hope I'm not stealing your thunder here QuasiUnaFantasia, I am sorry to hear of your loss.

I so agree with you about this second movement, it is a neglected delightful piece worthy of its own attention.

This was the last piece I learnt as a child/teenager 40 years ago. I remember I learnt it well, I could play the first two movements of Moonlight Sonata from memory for the next couple of years. My father was the motivation for me playing, encouraging and then bribing with the offer of a guitar in the future which meant I kept on with the piano longer than I otherwise would have. I got the guitar as a birthday present, I remember he was a bit grumpy about it. He rightly recognised the guitar would just be a fly by night thing driven by my teenage self to try and be in the cool crowd. The piano lessons stopped and so did my progress.

I am now estranged from my Father who a couple of years ago was diagnosed with a nasty form of dementia which results in delusions. I had to organise him to go into care and of course he feels betrayed, not able to recognise what he needs. He will not speak with me.

I recognise the piece so well after all this time, and it reminds me of this gift my father gave me that I haven't truly appreciated until recently.
Thank you.

Last edited by KevinM; 05/16/19 06:10 PM.

Mendelssohn Song without Words Op19,2 and 19,6, Jensen Sehnsucht Op8,5. Chopin Nocturne C# Minor. Schumann Hasche Mann from Kinderszenen Op15,3. https://soundcloud.com/sheffieldkevin
DP: Kawai MP11SE. HP: Superlux HD681 EVO
Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Qwerty53] #2848962
05/16/19 07:06 PM
05/16/19 07:06 PM
Hershey, PA, USA
Handyman Offline
Handyman  Offline

Hershey, PA, USA
Originally Posted by Qwerty53

46. Handyman (John) - Phantom of the Opera Sounds great! But shouldn’t you have offered a “spoiler alert” in your description?! Just kidding; nice to have this background.

Thanks much - knowing the beginning and the ending is often only a very small part of a great story - how one gets from the first to the second can be complex and riveting and full of drama, mystery, excitement and surprises galore...

John

"Difficulties deferred and challenges unmet will eventually return with a vengeance to bite one in the butt." (paraphrasing Chopin)
Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2848967
05/16/19 07:17 PM
05/16/19 07:17 PM
Auckland, New Zealand
T
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ted  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T

Auckland, New Zealand
A very good start with what is a surprisingly difficult piece to play really well. If I were you I would practise it a little more slowly using a light, precise, detached touch, metronomically correct, without pedal, taking care that every note was in its right place. Once you can play it reliably like that right through, which shouldn’t take too long, then gradually bring in pedal, accents, phrasing, legato groups, dynamics and interplay between the hands.

Last edited by Ted; 05/16/19 07:20 PM.

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room [Re: cmb13] #2849024
05/16/19 09:50 PM
05/16/19 09:50 PM
D
dumka1 Offline
dumka1  Offline
D

Originally Posted by cmb13

44. dumka1 - "April" (Snowdrop) from "The Seasons" So happy to hear another month from the Seasons! Those runs seem tricky and relentless....they just keep coming! That Petyr! Thanks for the tip on October.

Those runs aren't bad by themselves but coordinating them with the left-hand chords is a little tricky.

You're very welcome. I enjoyed your rendition of "October," it's very lyrical and evocative. My only suggestion would be to bring out the lower voice a bit more in the part when the same melody as the opening one is repeated in the left hand... I watched the video--nice grand piano! And your dog is very cute--and quiet (mine is a barker which makes the recording process quite unpredictable :)).

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2849041
05/16/19 10:34 PM
05/16/19 10:34 PM
Florida
R
Riddler Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Riddler  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R

Florida
16. noobpianist90 - Two Part Invention in C Major BWV 772
Well done! Very musical and appealing. Impressive hand independence. I envy you “first take” guys – never works for me. 😊

17. Jason Lenthe - Important Event
I know nothing about this piece, but it does indeed have a majestic, stately feel to it, which your playing brings out superbly. Well done!

20. sinophilia - Waltz in G# minor Op. 39 no. 3
Delightful! I did not hear a clunker, so whatever mistake you made must have been an inoffensive one. Well done!

21. Monica K. - Song for Gavin
Gavin must have been a really good guy! I am very glad to see that you are still participating and I hope you take some comfort in knowing that all of us are rooting for you.

23. barbaram - Prelude No 2 in D Minor BWV 940 (to do)
Very nice! There is a hint of something more somber there, which reminds me of one of his choral works.

Ed

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  BB Player 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Question about front lid on my Kawai grand
by Deltajockey. 09/16/19 03:13 AM
How Many Digitals Get This Correct
by Jonky Ponky. 09/16/19 12:17 AM
Pianodisc midi retrofit
by Sweelinck. 09/15/19 11:30 PM
Brass lick
by fatar760. 09/15/19 05:59 PM
Was Rachmaninov really a "triple threat"?
by pianoloverus. 09/15/19 05:31 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,061
Posts2,869,885
Members94,422
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission