Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
9 registered members (DPAfficionado, Testing123, David B, pagirl, jshelton, Dukerbud88, Abdol, 2 invisible), 378 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Who is the Adult Beginner's Forum for? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2849015
05/16/19 09:14 PM
05/16/19 09:14 PM
Auckland, New Zealand
T
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ted  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T

Auckland, New Zealand
Speaking as a member on here and Pianostreet for seventeen years, I think those who inhabit the ABF section are a pretty nice and, perhaps more importantly, a musically broadminded lot. Although far from a beginner, I shall continue to contribute to the recitals because I think free improvisation is something an adult beginner could easily develop and get a lot of pleasure from doing, regardless of technical level.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Who is the Adult Beginner's Forum for? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2849017
05/16/19 09:17 PM
05/16/19 09:17 PM
Midwest USA
Stubbie Offline
Gold Subscriber
Stubbie  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Midwest USA
ABF for learners is certainly a large part of the sub-forum, but it's not limited to that. It's also a place to share accomplishments (e.g. AOTW), find a sympathetic ear (I really blew that recital), and just chat in a civil manner. It is not all work and no play, as it would be if we restricted ourselves to learning issues only. Yes, we all "learn" from most anything that is posted, but that, in my opinion, is much too broad a definition of "learners."

[Linked Image]
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams
Re: Who is the Adult Beginner's Forum for? [Re: Dr. Rogers] #2849025
05/16/19 09:51 PM
05/16/19 09:51 PM
Finland
O
outo Offline
4000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O

Finland
Originally Posted by Dr. Rogers
Originally Posted by outo
I think teachers or advanced palyers are quite welcome here as well as total beginners. However we mostly try to be friendly or at least polite even when we disagree. So we don't call our fellow forum members "stinkers" even if we may sometimes think so quietly...

Sure. In general I wouldn't say something like that about other forum members, and there are many with whom I have had polite and professional disagreements. What you may not be aware of is that I have been harassed via private messages. I've received threats and been called all sorts of horrid names (in multiple languages, no less). I think "stinker" is a pretty mild word for people who would do such a thing.

Edit: Something just occurred to me. I wonder if it's because people see my avatar and think I'm female. I've always read that women experience much more harassment online than men. I don't know if that's the case or not.

I'm sorry about the harrasment. Certainly isn't common in ABF. It may not be your gender however, could be just the fact that you are "opiniated" (as am I). I cannot remember getting many unkind PMs, but I have certainly ended up in some heated discussions. Some people think it is not nice to strongly disagree here asking posters to continue with PMs.

People get my gender wrong all the time. It is interesting, because it certainly still does affect how one is treated. For someone interested in gender studies it's like a real life experiment smile

Re: Who is the Adult Beginner's Forum for? [Re: outo] #2849030
05/16/19 10:08 PM
05/16/19 10:08 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
Tyrone Slothrop  Offline

People get my gender wrong all the time. It is interesting, because it certainly still does affect how one is treated. For someone interested in gender studies it's like a real life experiment smile

Do you suppose it could have anything to do with using as your forum handle a word from a language other than the one prevalent on this forum? wink grin

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Who is the Adult Beginner's Forum for? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2849032
05/16/19 10:11 PM
05/16/19 10:11 PM
Finland
O
outo Offline
4000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O

Finland
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

Do you suppose it could have anything to do with using as your forum handle a word from a language other than the one prevalent on this forum? wink grin

Yes, but what makes it interesting is why people assume one way, not the other. Besides, it happens in other forums as well, even domestic wink

Re: Who is the Adult Beginner's Forum for? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2849034
05/16/19 10:12 PM
05/16/19 10:12 PM
Florida
cmb13 Offline
Silver Level
cmb13  Offline
Silver Level

Florida
Again, I can’t imagine why anyone would harass someone else on the forum. State your opinion, disagree if you must, and move on. Aside from the occasional quip that falls flat, I hope I don’t offend others. Do onto others as you would have others do onto yourself.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Re: Who is the Adult Beginner's Forum for? [Re: cmb13] #2849035
05/16/19 10:14 PM
05/16/19 10:14 PM
Finland
O
outo Offline
4000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O

Finland

Originally Posted by cmb13
Do onto others as you would have others do onto yourself.

This does not always work, since many people are far more sensitive than I am smile

Re: Who is the Adult Beginner's Forum for? [Re: outo] #2849037
05/16/19 10:16 PM
05/16/19 10:16 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
Tyrone Slothrop  Offline

Yes, but what makes it interesting is why people assume one way, not the other. Besides, it happens in other forums as well, even domestic wink

BTW, for the record, I'll go out on a limb and say I always assumed you were the other gender than the one suggested by the pronouns people use to refer to you wink LOL

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Who is the Adult Beginner's Forum for? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2849039
05/16/19 10:29 PM
05/16/19 10:29 PM
Finland
O
outo Offline
4000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O

Finland

BTW, for the record, I'll go out on a limb and say I always assumed you were the other gender than the one suggested by the pronouns people use to refer to you wink LOL

And you are probably right smile Then again, I do not think it should matter one way or the other. Besides, I have often referred to me as the grazy cat lady here, which may give a clue grin

Re: Who is the Adult Beginner's Forum for? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2849133
05/17/19 07:18 AM
05/17/19 07:18 AM
Australia
E
earlofmar Offline
3000 Post Club Member
earlofmar  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
E

Australia
''grazy cat lady''.......sorry I'll need more clues

Problems with piano are 90% psychological, the other 10% is in your head.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Who is the Adult Beginner's Forum for? [Re: cmb13] #2849139
05/17/19 07:45 AM
05/17/19 07:45 AM
In the Ozarks of Missouri
NobleHouse Offline
2000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

In the Ozarks of Missouri
Originally Posted by cmb13
Originally Posted by NobleHouse

What was that? Did someone say something?

Just kidding. I’ve never ignored someone....at least not on an official level.

"can you hear me now", lol....

[Linked Image]
Re: Who is the Adult Beginner's Forum for? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2849154
05/17/19 08:36 AM
05/17/19 08:36 AM
Texas
Dr. Rogers Offline
Dr. Rogers  Offline

Texas
I have a pretty thick skin online. My wife and I have an ongoing stalker in real life.

After my marriage, my wife and I (and also her parents) were stalked by a relative of mine who objected to our union and went off the deep end. Knives, guns, following us around, following my in-laws around, arrests, trials, restraining orders, false reports to the FBI that my new bride was a spy (that really happened!), FBI agents showing up at my office... (thankfully the folks at the FBI weren't born yesterday and realized they'd been had) And when the restraining order proved to not be worth the paper it was printed on, we moved nearly a thousand miles across the country, "far from the home I love," but now we finally have something close to peace.

This same relative has tried to harass me online as well. If that person finds me here (I'm not going to hide), they will likely come here to harass me. For several years I had little to no online presence - I still don't have any social media accounts at all. The last time I interviewed for a job, the HR manager said that I seemed to be a non-person. If I seem a little jumpy, at least now you know why...

So, yes, although some people can be hurtful, that's nothing compared to the crap I've gotten from my own family. Thankfully, on this forum, I can hit the ignore button. "Ain't nobody got time for that," as they say.

I think everyone in this thread is genuine, and includes several of the best folks in this forum. I do think the number of "bad apples" on the forum, as it were, is very small.

Last edited by Dr. Rogers; 05/17/19 08:37 AM.

Austin Rogers, PhD
Music Teacher in Austin, TX
Baldwin SD-10 Concert Grand "Kuroneko", Baldwin Upright, Yamaha P-255
Re: Who is the Adult Beginner's Forum for? [Re: Dr. Rogers] #2849163
05/17/19 09:13 AM
05/17/19 09:13 AM
L
LarryK Offline
500 Post Club Member
LarryK  Offline
500 Post Club Member
L

Originally Posted by Dr. Rogers
I have a pretty thick skin online. My wife and I have an ongoing stalker in real life.

After my marriage, my wife and I (and also her parents) were stalked by a relative of mine who objected to our union and went off the deep end. Knives, guns, following us around, following my in-laws around, arrests, trials, restraining orders, false reports to the FBI that my new bride was a spy (that really happened!), FBI agents showing up at my office... (thankfully the folks at the FBI weren't born yesterday and realized they'd been had) And when the restraining order proved to not be worth the paper it was printed on, we moved nearly a thousand miles across the country, "far from the home I love," but now we finally have something close to peace.

This same relative has tried to harass me online as well. If that person finds me here (I'm not going to hide), they will likely come here to harass me. For several years I had little to no online presence - I still don't have any social media accounts at all. The last time I interviewed for a job, the HR manager said that I seemed to be a non-person. If I seem a little jumpy, at least now you know why...

So, yes, although some people can be hurtful, that's nothing compared to the crap I've gotten from my own family. Thankfully, on this forum, I can hit the ignore button. "Ain't nobody got time for that," as they say.

I think everyone in this thread is genuine, and includes several of the best folks in this forum. I do think the number of "bad apples" on the forum, as it were, is very small.

That’s terrible, I’m sorry to hear that. As Sartre wrote, heck is other people. I knew a guy who owned a software company that created virtual worlds. He received death threats when he changed some people’s virtual worlds!

The truth is, humans need community, we don’t do well living alone, in isolation. So, we have to interact with others. As for this forum, it is wise to remember that there are real people behind all these screen names, and that they’re all struggling to get through life.

Yamaha P-515, Pianoteq Standard 6
Re: Who is the Adult Beginner's Forum for? [Re: LarryK] #2849165
05/17/19 09:23 AM
05/17/19 09:23 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
Tyrone Slothrop  Offline

Originally Posted by LarryK
That’s terrible, I’m sorry to hear that. As Sartre wrote, heck is other people. I knew a guy who owned a software company that created virtual worlds. He received death threats when he changed some people’s virtual worlds!

It's easy to be dismissive about such threats. We live in a world where celebrities or politicians can hardly utter a new word in public without death threats being lobbed their way. There are some pretty disturbed individuals out there. And every once in a while, someone other there takes the next step and tries to make good on their threats.

I also wonder if further investment in the mental health area would even help with this particular issue. I suspect that many people that make such threats, or try to carry them out, may not be mentally ill in a conventional sense - at least not in a way that modern psychological/psychiatric treatments can effectively address. They can't all be sociopaths, could they? (But I speculate about this not as not a mental health professional - only an observer).

Re: Who is the Adult Beginner's Forum for? [Re: earlofmar] #2849169
05/17/19 09:36 AM
05/17/19 09:36 AM
*sigh* Salt Lake City
malkin Offline
5000 Post Club Member
malkin  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

*sigh* Salt Lake City
Originally Posted by earlofmar

I'm reading "grazy" as a combination of grand, lazy, and crazy. As it applies to me, it would be a grazy lady with cats, although with the lovely ambiguity of English it could be a lady with grazy cats.

Learner
Re: Who is the Adult Beginner's Forum for? [Re: malkin] #2849178
05/17/19 09:49 AM
05/17/19 09:49 AM
Finland
O
outo Offline
4000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O

Finland
Originally Posted by malkin
Originally Posted by earlofmar

I'm reading "grazy" as a combination of grand, lazy, and crazy. As it applies to me, it would be a grazy lady with cats, although with the lovely ambiguity of English it could be a lady with grazy cats.

At least not greasy smile Sorry about the typo, these tiny virtual keyboards are just not for me...

Re: Who is the Adult Beginner's Forum for? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2849183
05/17/19 10:12 AM
05/17/19 10:12 AM
L
LarryK Offline
500 Post Club Member
LarryK  Offline
500 Post Club Member
L

Originally Posted by LarryK
That’s terrible, I’m sorry to hear that. As Sartre wrote, h*ll is other people. I knew a guy who owned a software company that created virtual worlds. He received death threats when he changed some people’s virtual worlds!

It's easy to be dismissive about such threats. We live in a world where celebrities or politicians can hardly utter a new word in public without death threats being lobbed their way. There are some pretty disturbed individuals out there. And every once in a while, someone other there takes the next step and tries to make good on their threats.

I also wonder if further investment in the mental health area would even help with this particular issue. I suspect that many people that make such threats, or try to carry them out, may not be mentally ill in a conventional sense - at least not in a way that modern psychological/psychiatric treatments can effectively address. They can't all be sociopaths, could they? (But I speculate about this not as not a mental health professional - only an observer).

The guy I mentioned was not dismissive of these threats, as a matter of fact, he was quite disturbed by them and took steps to protect himself and his family.

It’s easy to think that nobody would ever make good on these threats but it is impossible to know for sure. None of us are invisible in the world. If someone wants to find us, they probably can. I take some solace in thinking that it is easier to maintain anonymity in a large city than in a small town, but no place is perfectly safe.

Yamaha P-515, Pianoteq Standard 6
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  BB Player 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Help with bad key on my keyboard
by heimtun. 06/25/19 09:57 AM
DH Baldwin (Samick) Action Stack/Key
by TimM_980. 06/25/19 01:11 AM
In Praise Of The Original Yamaha AG N3
by cphollis. 06/25/19 12:42 AM
Hammer wear on Kawai console circa 1968
by extravagrant. 06/24/19 11:46 PM
Audio Book: How to Listen to and Understand Great Music
by TX-Bluebonnet. 06/24/19 11:06 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics192,698
Posts2,841,834
Members93,715
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission