Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
53 registered members (AndrewJCW, astrotoy, AZNpiano, AprilE, camperbc, BeeZee4, Animisha, accordeur, 12 invisible), 3,786 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 44 of 91 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 90 91
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: CyberGene] #2848590
05/15/19 10:26 PM
05/15/19 10:26 PM
深水埗區
N
newer player Offline
1000 Post Club Member
newer player  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
N

深水埗區
Originally Posted by CyberGene
I received a mail from Philippe from Pianoteq earlier today informing me there’s a new version of Pianoteq that I might like. And you asked me to test Garritan CFX so I decided to briefly test both with the N1X.

First Pianoteq, it’s definitely an improvement from what I remember. I think I like the Bechstein DG the most. But I still hear some nasal character in the muddle. I’ll have to test more though, don’t want to bash on Pianoteq without more thorough testing.

Garritan CFX. Hmm, first impression after the long break is it’s so sibilant. I just can’t believe I’ve managed to tolerate this noisy hiss and sibilance before (but I used HD650 before and now it is the HD595 that are bright so the certainly make things worse). Second impression is the lush reverberation I used to like is just too much and smearing things. Needs getting used to and I think I prefer less reverb now. Otherwise a nice timbre and a playable piano. But that noise frown Switched to the N1X binaural and it’s so clean and nice. It’s the best of the three pianos. I don’t see myself returning to VST-s soon.

CyberGene - thank you so much for taking the time to test both Garritan CFX and the updated PianoTeq.

I was hoping the N1X's action and integrated interface would propel the VSTs to new heights. Perhaps fiddling with the velocity curves might help a bit.

It is nice to see that Yamaha has improved its sound system enough to ignore the VST options. That gives you more time to focus on playing.

And without continuous VST purchases, hybrid pianos become a more affordable stand-alone investment.

(ad) SWEETWATER Lowest Prices
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: newer player] #2848634
05/16/19 03:30 AM
05/16/19 03:30 AM
A
AlexBltn Offline
AlexBltn  Offline
A

Did anybody compare Yamaha's Binaural sound between N1X and CLP-645 or P-515? Are they different things, or comparable in their quality?

Originally Posted by newer player
It is nice to see that Yamaha has improved its sound system enough to ignore the VST options. That gives you more time to focus on playing. And without continuous VST purchases, hybrid pianos become a more affordable stand-alone investment.

+1. This is good news. Finally no need that mess with VST's.

Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2848642
05/16/19 04:18 AM
05/16/19 04:18 AM
Sweden
Animisha Online content
500 Post Club Member
Animisha  Online Content
500 Post Club Member

Sweden
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
[quote=Tyrone Slothrop] Well I'm quite determined to not get the same one for her for our Amsterdam flat since I think buy two identical pianos is stupid (which is why we had an FP30 in DC but have an ES110 in Amsterdam), so it may just be that I could end up buying an NV10 after all.

I have heard there is a Roland with a terrific app... just rumours... but it might interest you for your Amsterdam flat? cool

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2848649
05/16/19 04:48 AM
05/16/19 04:48 AM
P
percy64 Offline
percy64  Offline
P

[
Congrats percy64! I'm impressed you just bought it and are already getting it delivered, while mine is going to take another week to bring it all of 20 miles. Haha.

In fact I ordered it about 4 weeks ago. I just missed getting one they had in stock so have had to wait for another batch to arrive in UK. However I think the waiting and anticipation just builds the excitement so you get so much more enjoyment if you have to wait a short period smile

Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: David B] #2848650
05/16/19 04:52 AM
05/16/19 04:52 AM
P
percy64 Offline
percy64  Offline
P

Originally Posted by David B

Unless you're not home, I predict you'll miss a meal or some sleep to find a little time.

I was very intemperate the first night I had my N1X (and the second and third night). grin

Congrats on the purchase.

God Bless,
David

Ha - I've been playing the old Clavinova (CLP-155) almost exclusively for a long time. That has such a light touch that I expect to have a few issues playing the N1X - I doubt if I have the stamina to manage more than a hour or so at the moment.

Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: AlexBltn] #2848702
05/16/19 09:05 AM
05/16/19 09:05 AM
Sofia, Bulgaria
CyberGene Online content
4000 Post Club Member
CyberGene  Online Content
4000 Post Club Member

Sofia, Bulgaria
Originally Posted by AlexBltn
Originally Posted by newer player
It is nice to see that Yamaha has improved its sound system enough to ignore the VST options. That gives you more time to focus on playing. And without continuous VST purchases, hybrid pianos become a more affordable stand-alone investment.

+1. This is good news. Finally no need that mess with VST's.

Well, that’s how I feel. Other people might still prefer VST-s. Don’t take my word for granted smile

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: David B] #2848703
05/16/19 09:16 AM
05/16/19 09:16 AM
Sofia, Bulgaria
CyberGene Online content
4000 Post Club Member
CyberGene  Online Content
4000 Post Club Member

Sofia, Bulgaria

This is one of the things I really liked about the N1X without thinking of a word for it: sibilance. Thank you for that word.

That is a good word. The meaning is clear from the context, but I still looked it up. Thanks, CyberGene. You've added to my vocab. thumb

Credit goes to head-if forums (and my past obsession with headphones which is now luckily gone smile ). The term “sibilant” in the context of headphones and sound has a rather negative connotation and refers to non-neutral coloration that seems to accent on a particular part of the highs that is perceived as a hissing sound. It comes from the sibilant consonants of “s” and “sh”. There’s this hissing, or sibilance, in Garritan CFX which has been previously discussed and is even more pronounced through HD595-s. Which is why I prefer HD650-s. On the other hand there’s absolutely no sibilance with either of these headphones and N1X which is very clean of noises and other artifacts.

Last edited by CyberGene; 05/16/19 09:18 AM.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: David B] #2848936
05/16/19 05:58 PM
05/16/19 05:58 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
Tyrone Slothrop  Offline

7000 Post Club Member

Trying to find a temporary place for N1X until interior designer can rejigger my flat. I took measurements in the store but now I'm questioning one of the them.

Could someone measure the depth of the unit from the back to the front edge of the keyboard for me? While in the store, I measured and noted down a depth of 61 cm from front to back, but now I'm wondering if I left out the keyboard and my measurement was only the upper cabinet.

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: David B] #2848944
05/16/19 06:17 PM
05/16/19 06:17 PM
The Sierras
D
David B Online content OP
500 Post Club Member
David B  Online Content OP
500 Post Club Member
D

The Sierras
24.25" or ~62 cm

Edited to readjust measurement.

Last edited by David B; 05/16/19 06:21 PM.

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Mac mini 2018/Focusrite Scarlett 2i4/KRK Rokit 6 G3 Studio Monitors
Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course; Lessons 1-39 Completed
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: David B] #2848972
05/16/19 07:22 PM
05/16/19 07:22 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
Tyrone Slothrop  Offline

7000 Post Club Member

24.25" or ~62 cm

Edited to readjust measurement.

Thanks David! I guess I did include the keyboard after all. smile

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2848976
05/16/19 07:29 PM
05/16/19 07:29 PM
Pennsylvania
A
Amy C Offline
Amy C  Offline
A

Pennsylvania
YESSS Tyrone! One of us! One of us! grin grin grin

The more I play it the more I love it. Practicing every day has been such a joy! I spent some time on a Steinway Grand today, and every piece I learned this week on the Yamaha transferred over perfectly. It felt like a seamless transition, thanks to the N1X action. For me, at least, because I am jumping between the Yamaha and Steinway/Bosendorfer/Chickering grands a few times a week, I couldn't be happier.

Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: Animisha] #2848987
05/16/19 07:55 PM
05/16/19 07:55 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
Tyrone Slothrop  Offline

7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Animisha
[quote=Tyrone Slothrop] Well I'm quite determined to not get the same one for her for our Amsterdam flat since I think buy two identical pianos is stupid (which is why we had an FP30 in DC but have an ES110 in Amsterdam), so it may just be that I could end up buying an NV10 after all.

I have heard there is a Roland with a terrific app... just rumours... but it might interest you for your Amsterdam flat? cool

Good point! Although the LX708 is almost as expensive as the N1X. confused LOL But she might like the Piano Every Day app, that's true enough. grin

Originally Posted by Amy C
YESSS Tyrone! One of us! One of us! grin grin grin

The more I play it the more I love it. Practicing every day has been such a joy! I spent some time on a Steinway Grand today, and every piece I learned this week on the Yamaha transferred over perfectly. It felt like a seamless transition, thanks to the N1X action. For me, at least, because I am jumping between the Yamaha and Steinway/Bosendorfer/Chickering grands a few times a week, I couldn't be happier.

That's great to know!

Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: David B] #2849103
05/17/19 04:34 AM
05/17/19 04:34 AM
P
percy64 Offline
percy64  Offline
P

Well - the sound is as glorious as I had remembered and nice to have it in the quite of my own room rather than the noise of the piano showroom. As expected it is going to take me a while to get used to the action - I feel as if my playing has taken a step backwards as it is so long since I have played a Grand Piano regularly. But even now I find the intricate parts of the music (e.g. trills) so much easier

Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2849279
05/17/19 01:40 PM
05/17/19 01:40 PM
Dublin
johnstaf Online crying
2000 Post Club Member
johnstaf  Online Crying
2000 Post Club Member

Dublin

Good point! Although the LX708 is almost as expensive as the N1X. confused LOL But she might like the Piano Every Day app, that's true enough. grin

[quote=Amy C]YESSS Tyrone! One of us! One of us! grin grin grin
!

In Europe, it's closer to half the price. It's a cost-effective way to get Brownie points!

Last edited by johnstaf; 05/17/19 01:42 PM.
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: johnstaf] #2849281
05/17/19 01:43 PM
05/17/19 01:43 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
Tyrone Slothrop  Offline

7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by johnstaf

[quote=Amy C]YESSS Tyrone! One of us! One of us! grin grin grin
!

In Europe, it's closer to half the price. It's a good way to get cost-effective Brownie points!

Great point! I wouldn't be buying it in US, I'd be buying in Amsterdam.

Well, we'll see if I can survive PhilipInChina's piano party without someone letting slip to my wife that I bought an N1X for myself, to see if those cost-effective Brownie points will be needed! shocked wink laugh

Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2849391
05/17/19 07:27 PM
05/17/19 07:27 PM
Dublin
johnstaf Online crying
2000 Post Club Member
johnstaf  Online Crying
2000 Post Club Member

Dublin

Well, we'll see if I can survive PhilipInChina's piano party without someone letting slip to my wife that I bought an N1X for myself, to see if those cost-effective Brownie points will be needed! shocked wink laugh

That could have been a close one! I can keep my mouth shut. grin

Last edited by johnstaf; 05/17/19 07:27 PM.
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: David B] #2849479
05/18/19 04:47 AM
05/18/19 04:47 AM
P
percy64 Offline
percy64  Offline
P

The N1X really is very fussy about headphones. I have a decent pair of AKG but when I try those the sound is really unbelievably poor - no base at all and very thin mid range even at full gain. My Audio technicas sound better but too quite. Those are both good headphones that work well with the old clavinova and every other source I have used them with.

I bought a pair of Yamaha HPH-150 phones with the piano and at least they match. The sound is pretty good but a bit sibilant when used with the already bright binaural CFX sound. Looks as if I am going to have to go shopping for another pair, but it will be tricky to test them out and risky to buy without trying them in combination with the N1X itself.

Still I am loving the piano itself - already my playing is sounding better.

Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: percy64] #2849482
05/18/19 05:02 AM
05/18/19 05:02 AM
P
percy64 Offline
percy64  Offline
P

Originally Posted by percy64
The N1X really is very fussy about headphones. I have a decent pair of AKG but when I try those the sound is really unbelievably poor - no base at all and very thin mid range even at full gain..

In fact the AKG seemed to have a problem with the lead and switching that improved it a lot - now better than the HPH-150 but not perfect.

Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: percy64] #2849506
05/18/19 07:44 AM
05/18/19 07:44 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
Tyrone Slothrop  Offline

7000 Post Club Member

The N1X really is very fussy about headphones. I have a decent pair of AKG but when I try those the sound is really unbelievably poor - no base at all and very thin mid range even at full gain..

In fact the AKG seemed to have a problem with the lead and switching that improved it a lot - now better than the HPH-150 but not perfect.

By 'lead,' do you mean the entire headphone cable? Because that's surprising that the cable would have made a difference. Did you just become a headphones audiophile while we weren't looking? (ok, that was a joke since this forum is so anti-audiophile laugh )

Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2849510
05/18/19 07:57 AM
05/18/19 07:57 AM
P
percy64 Offline
percy64  Offline
P

[By 'lead,' do you mean the entire headphone cable? Because that's surprising that the cable would have made a difference. Did you just become a headphones audiophile while we weren't looking? (ok, that was a joke since this forum is so anti-audiophile laugh )

In fact it was the adaptor to convert from 3.5mm to 1/4" that must have been making a bad connection - using a different one sorted it. It might have been sending the right channel to both ears that would account for the lack of bass.

Page 44 of 91 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 90 91

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Master's Audition-- Beethoven Op 79, 'Cuckoo'?
by winterflower. 10/19/19 11:29 PM
Baldwin: The End of an Era!
by Retsacnal. 10/19/19 09:46 PM
CAREFUL when performing in China!!
by Norbert. 10/19/19 08:37 PM
Music Theory Posters
by jandz. 10/19/19 06:21 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,619
Posts2,881,111
Members94,716
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission