Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
108 registered members (anotherscott, AnnInMiami, 36251, AWilley, ando, Arty Movie, AB99, anamnesis, 27 invisible), 1,349 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Realistic goal and expectation for a self learner #2848732
05/16/19 10:16 AM
05/16/19 10:16 AM
New York
K
KL NY Offline OP
KL NY  Offline OP
K

New York
I have a few years of lesson from teenage year. Now i can't afford the lesson , I have been playing on and off through the years. Now start to get more serious on playing.

Right now I am at level 2-3. How far can a self learner goes ? What your opinion and experience on this? I try to be realistic on this journey and expect soon or later there is a limit how much i can learn by myself.

Thank

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Realistic goal and expectation for a self learner [Re: KL NY] #2848743
05/16/19 10:52 AM
05/16/19 10:52 AM
Pennsylvania
D
dmd Offline
4000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
D

Pennsylvania
I would not spend another moment concerning myself with it.

I would just start enjoying the time you spend playing the piano.

You will naturally progress as you learn things through books, videos, forums, online courses and any other means you employ.

You will get as far (levels) as your enthusiasm, efforts, and learning methods will take you.

You may find that your journey takes you in a direction not even related to levels …. jazz, blues, rock …. who knows.

Each day …. sit at the piano and enjoy yourself. Strive for "better" but do not be consumed by "how far" you are getting.

Good Luck

Last edited by dmd; 05/16/19 10:54 AM.

Don

Kawai MP11SE, Edifier R1850DB Active Bookshelf Speakers, Yamaha HS8S Powered Subwoofer, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq and numerous other VSTs
Re: Realistic goal and expectation for a self learner [Re: KL NY] #2848763
05/16/19 11:33 AM
05/16/19 11:33 AM
Toronto, Canada
T
thepianoplayer416 Offline
500 Post Club Member
thepianoplayer416  Offline
500 Post Club Member
T

Toronto, Canada
I was playing on and off for a few years before getting enrolled in an adult evening class. I don't have to think about the level I'm at as long as I enjoy the pieces I'm playing. There are many original pieces and simplified arrangements of the same pieces. In the beginning I may be playing an arrangement of a Schubert Serenade (even in another Key). As I get better I would eventually download the original.

Unless you're aiming to be a professional musician, you can spend years with the same pieces. And the more pieces you play, the better you get and you learn more things about the same pieces, the composer who wrote them, etc. It's an endless learning process. Coming from a non-musical family I'm happy to be the only person playing a few tunes on a keyboard even when I'm just doing pieces at an intermediate level.

Re: Realistic goal and expectation for a self learner [Re: dmd] #2848771
05/16/19 11:44 AM
05/16/19 11:44 AM
B
barbaram Offline

1000 Post Club Member
barbaram  Offline

1000 Post Club Member
B

Originally Posted by dmd

Each day …. sit at the piano and enjoy yourself. Strive for "better" but do not be consumed by "how far" you are getting.

+1
Just enjoy the journey and make it a consistent part of your life. There are many resources available to support your learning journey besides the traditional 1-1 in person teacher route. See what works for you.
If traditional lessons are in fact what works best for you (they are for me), they may fit back into your life down the line. In the meantime take advantage of whatever works for you and fits into your life now.

Re: Realistic goal and expectation for a self learner [Re: KL NY] #2848779
05/16/19 11:58 AM
05/16/19 11:58 AM
Italy
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
sinophilia  Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

1000 Post Club Member

Italy
How far can you go? Well it really depends on your ambitions and how much time and effort you are willing to put into it, and to some extent also by your own personal "talent". The fact that you had some years of lessons as a teenager is definitely an advantage, starting from scratch as an adult is more difficult.

I've been learning by myself for 7 years, practicing between 1 and 1.5 hours a day on average, and I got to an intermediate level. I learn easy pieces faster, I can sight-read some things, and I can learn wonderful pieces at about ABRSM 6/RCM 8 level in a few months without killing myself. How well I eventually play them, that's very hard to say... the polishing/performing/recording part is the most frustrating, and increasingly so as your own expectations change and grow.

In the end, just go for it, and you'll soon understand how it goes and how much you enjoy it.

Diana & Wally - Yamaha W110BW (U1)
To create a beautiful sound, one must imagine it at first and then learn to produce fluid physical motions that breathe life into music. (Shirley Kirsten)
http://youtube.com/sinophilia
Re: Realistic goal and expectation for a self learner [Re: barbaram] #2848953
05/16/19 06:36 PM
05/16/19 06:36 PM
In the Ozarks of Missouri
NobleHouse Online content
2000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Online Content
2000 Post Club Member

In the Ozarks of Missouri
Originally Posted by barbaram
Originally Posted by dmd

+1
Just enjoy the journey and make it a consistent part of your life. There are many resources available to support your learning journey besides the traditional 1-1 in person teacher route. See what works for you.
If traditional lessons are in fact what works best for you (they are for me), they may fit back into your life down the line. In the meantime take advantage of whatever works for you and fits into your life now.

+2. Enjoy your own personal piano journey!

[Linked Image]
Re: Realistic goal and expectation for a self learner [Re: KL NY] #2848954
05/16/19 06:44 PM
05/16/19 06:44 PM
Colorado
O
One Ohm Offline
One Ohm  Offline
O

Colorado
I heard in one of Adras Schiff lectures recently, that Chopin did not receive any formal piano lessons. Maybe his mother taught him piano? I have not verified any of this, but it was a surprise when I heard it in the lecture. Here is the link to the lecture. Schiff Lecture On Chopin. Listen for a couple minutes at the time linked.

Last edited by One Ohm; 05/16/19 06:51 PM.
Re: Realistic goal and expectation for a self learner [Re: KL NY] #2848963
05/16/19 07:06 PM
05/16/19 07:06 PM
Victoria, BC
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
BruceD  Offline
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Victoria, BC
While I don't strongly disagree with what has been posted above, I do offer one caveat for someone who wants to "start getting more serious on playing." It depends how serious you want to get and what your ultimate goals are. If you are playing simply for your enjoyment, then do continue as others have suggested. However, if getting more serious involves - eventually - attempting repertoire that is more challenging that what you can currently play, the self-taught learner may - and I repeat may - develop bad habits, poor skills and even possible injury without the guidance of a good teacher.

I would suggest that, when it becomes possible and if you wish to continue serious playing, you start taking lessons. I understand that that may not be possible at the moment, but if playing the piano is a long-term serious endeavor, then you will eventually need guidance and teaching.

Meanwhile, I will join the others and say: enjoy the journey.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: Realistic goal and expectation for a self learner [Re: KL NY] #2848975
05/16/19 07:29 PM
05/16/19 07:29 PM
*sigh* Salt Lake City
malkin Offline
5000 Post Club Member
malkin  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

*sigh* Salt Lake City
Pretty realistic to say that I'll never be Chopin. But then again, I've taken lessons.

Learner
Re: Realistic goal and expectation for a self learner [Re: One Ohm] #2848984
05/16/19 07:49 PM
05/16/19 07:49 PM
New York City
pianoloverus Online content
pianoloverus  Online Content

New York City
Originally Posted by One Ohm
I heard in one of Adras Schiff lectures recently, that Chopin did not receive any formal piano lessons. Maybe his mother taught him piano? I have not verified any of this, but it was a surprise when I heard it in the lecture. Here is the link to the lecture. Schiff Lecture On Chopin. Listen for a couple minutes at the time linked.
I think Schiff is mistaken, and Chopin had two teachers according to the bio in the link below. It might be more correct to say his lessons were for a fairly short period of time, and he developed much of his technique by himself. He extended the technical approach of the day.
https://www.britannica.com/biography/Frederic-Chopin

Re: Realistic goal and expectation for a self learner [Re: KL NY] #2849007
05/16/19 08:53 PM
05/16/19 08:53 PM
Colorado
O
One Ohm Offline
One Ohm  Offline
O

Colorado
pianoloverus - I believe Schiff addresses at least one of the teachers in the link you provided. He stated that the teacher was actually a violin player, not a piano player.

Anyway, my point was not to justify going it alone since Chopin did not take formal lessons. It was just an interesting piece of information.

As BrudeD states, I also highly suggest getting a good teacher if you become serious about advancing. Not a week goes by that my teacher (Eric Jones in Littleton CO.) does not provide some important insight or correction that I would not have found obvious on my own. There is no doubt that my progress would be slower and more tedious without a good teacher. However, it is possible to progress and enjoy the piano without formal lessons. The important thing is to start at something.

Last edited by One Ohm; 05/16/19 08:54 PM.
Re: Realistic goal and expectation for a self learner [Re: KL NY] #2849073
05/17/19 12:50 AM
05/17/19 12:50 AM
India
N
noobpianist90 Offline
500 Post Club Member
noobpianist90  Offline
500 Post Club Member
N

India
Speaking from experience as a self-learner, there are two things you need in abundance to be successful at self learning. Time and patience. You should expect that your progress will be slow since you will make a lot of mistakes, and you will practice these mistakes. Then you will need to unlearn these mistakes and fix them.

I personally like self learning because it allows me to discover things for myself. Since nobody is showing me how to play a certain passage, I find my own solutions through trial and error. I find a lot of joy in being able to discover these things for myself. As time has gone by, I've gotten better and better at arriving at solutions more quickly.

That being said, I feel it's better to start self learning when you're a bit more advanced. the likelihood of making mistakes at the beginner stage is a lot higher.

As for how far a self learner can go? I don't see any limits. As long as one has enough time and patience, I see no reason why there should be a cap on progress.

Here are some links that have been very useful to me:
Fundamentas of Piano Practice
Painostreet links

Re: Realistic goal and expectation for a self learner [Re: KL NY] #2849081
05/17/19 02:05 AM
05/17/19 02:05 AM
M
meaculpa Offline
meaculpa  Offline
M

Originally Posted by KL NY
I have a few years of lesson from teenage year. Now i can't afford the lesson , I have been playing on and off through the years. Now start to get more serious on playing.

Right now I am at level 2-3. How far can a self learner goes ? What your opinion and experience on this? I try to be realistic on this journey and expect soon or later there is a limit how much i can learn by myself.

Thank

That is an interesting question KL, I guess there is a limit on how much one can learn by himself, it seems as though you have a piano and are fairly good at playing things you have self taught, but sooner or later for progress you will want to go further and more serious,, I'am sorry at the moment you can't afford lessons, but even if you can have one lesson per month it might help, plus you can always email your tutor if you have any questions.
I was in your situation, when I was a busy working mum, I had too many other commitments, and not enough funds for lessons, so I had to wait until such time I could take more formal lessons. Which has now been 4 years, even now my repertoire isn't that much, but I can play easy stuff, sight read , I take lessons every two weeks, or even once a month.

Re: Realistic goal and expectation for a self learner [Re: KL NY] #2849082
05/17/19 02:15 AM
05/17/19 02:15 AM
Toronto, Canada
T
thepianoplayer416 Offline
500 Post Club Member
thepianoplayer416  Offline
500 Post Club Member
T

Toronto, Canada
Everybody has a favorite composer or performer. Some people are known for their performances of Chopin. Others like Glenn Gould was into Bach, Stewart Goodyear is into Beethoven. Just because you don't get into Chopin Etudes or Beethoven Sonatas doesn't make you a better or worst performer, everybody have their own taste in music.

Someone like myself get into playing Bach fugues occasionally. I don't find the pieces too challenging when played at a slower tempo although some people would think otherwise. When we have a teacher we get into playing pieces by a number of composers covering different genres. When I'm on my own, I tend to download more pieces by Bach & Handel.
(An aside: I believe I had a past-life in 18th century Europe and got exposed to Baroque music.)

Re: Realistic goal and expectation for a self learner [Re: KL NY] #2849083
05/17/19 02:28 AM
05/17/19 02:28 AM
Groove On Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Groove On  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

One bit of advice that I like - finish it! Whatever learning resources your using, finish it. Work through it thoughtfully and mindfully but get to the end. Even if you’re only getting 50% of the lessons (or even less). Once you ‘finish it’ you’ll have gotten a big percentage of the learning under your belt, and then you can circle back to revisit the sticky bits that stopped you in your tracks. You’ll also have a bigger picture / better perspective of what you’re learning.

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
Re: Realistic goal and expectation for a self learner [Re: KL NY] #2849104
05/17/19 04:38 AM
05/17/19 04:38 AM
Romania
M
Mosotti Offline
Mosotti  Offline
M

Romania
My opinion as a beginner smile

The problem with self learning is that there's no one there to correct you. There's no one there to explain things to you. There's more than technique, equally hard or maybe harder is to understand a piece and use the correct phrasing, pedaling etc. A good teacher will also suggest exercises for trouble areas or way to do things you've never thought about trying yourself. He/she will watch you and immediately see that you are tense, where you are tense, that your arms are in a weird position, but you don't even notice, being concentrated on other things, that you use weird fingerings, because you couldn't find a better one yourself and so on.

Before I started learning the piano, I thought it's just about pressing some keys with the right fingers, it's all about practice and time, and eventually you'll get it, but it's really so much more. Every part of your body is practically involved at some point or another. I think it's not that is hard to self learn even fairly advanced pieces, but it's impossible to do it effortlessly without proper technique, plus make them sound good, like a trained pianist does it. And you just can't figure out by yourself what a lot of very gifted people developed over hundreds of years. It's like trying to teach yourself chemistry, you're probably blow yourself up eventually...

Now all of the above apply to classical music, if you just want to play other genres, like new age, easy listening (which I actually like, I'm not one of those that say those are crap), playing in a band, I suppose the requirements are not that high. But even so, if you look at the greatest rock keyboardists most of them had formal piano training...

As for Chopin, it doesn't matter at all what he studied, he was a genius. You should not compare to a genius unless you know you are a genius smile

Re: Realistic goal and expectation for a self learner [Re: Mosotti] #2849144
05/17/19 07:52 AM
05/17/19 07:52 AM
New York
K
KL NY Offline OP
KL NY  Offline OP
K

New York
Originally Posted by Mosotti
My opinion as a beginner smile

The problem with self learning is that there's no one there to correct you. There's no one there to explain things to you. There's more than technique, equally hard or maybe harder is to understand a piece and use the correct phrasing, pedaling etc. A good teacher will also suggest exercises for trouble areas or way to do things you've never thought about trying yourself. He/she will watch you and immediately see that you are tense, where you are tense, that your arms are in a weird position, but you don't even notice, being concentrated on other things, that you use weird fingerings, because you couldn't find a better one yourself and so on.

Before I started learning the piano, I thought it's just about pressing some keys with the right fingers, it's all about practice and time, and eventually you'll get it, but it's really so much more. Every part of your body is practically involved at some point or another. I think it's not that is hard to self learn even fairly advanced pieces, but it's impossible to do it effortlessly without proper technique, plus make them sound good, like a trained pianist does it. And you just can't figure out by yourself what a lot of very gifted people developed over hundreds of years. It's like trying to teach yourself chemistry, you're probably blow yourself up eventually...
)

Well said !! i dont need to repeat myself grin That exactly how I feel and experience right now.

Re: Realistic goal and expectation for a self learner [Re: noobpianist90] #2849227
05/17/19 11:51 AM
05/17/19 11:51 AM
New York City
pianoloverus Online content
pianoloverus  Online Content

New York City
Originally Posted by noobpianist90
I personally like self learning because it allows me to discover things for myself. Since nobody is showing me how to play a certain passage, I find my own solutions through trial and error. I find a lot of joy in being able to discover these things for myself. As time has gone by, I've gotten better and better at arriving at solutions more quickly.
Even when someone has a teacher there always many things one discovers without the teacher's help. But without a teacher, at least for the first 5-10 years, one doesn't know what one doesn't know. A solution one finds by oneself may be OK but not the best or even satisfactory. Many amateur Youtube performances are quite horrible even by the most basic standards but the pianists who posted those videos for the most part probably thought their playing was good or even excellent. They didn't know what they didn't know.

Re: Realistic goal and expectation for a self learner [Re: noobpianist90] #2849242
05/17/19 12:24 PM
05/17/19 12:24 PM
India
N
noobpianist90 Offline
500 Post Club Member
noobpianist90  Offline
500 Post Club Member
N

India
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
But without a teacher, at least for the first 5-10 years, one doesn't know what one doesn't know. A solution one finds by oneself may be OK but not the best or even satisfactory. Many amateur Youtube performances are quite horrible even by the most basic standards but the pianists who posted those videos for the most part probably thought their playing was good or even excellent. They didn't know what they didn't know.

I'm not disagreeing with you. That's why I followed up with this:
Originally Posted by noobpianist90
That being said, I feel it's better to start self learning when you're a bit more advanced. the likelihood of making mistakes at the beginner stage is a lot higher.

There are many reasons why I prefer to self learn. I like to have the freedom to take breaks from the piano whenever I feel like it. I've had a teacher before, and taking breaks never went well.
I get what you're saying about the amateur recordings though. Even when I listen to my own recordings from a few years ago, I can hear so many mistakes, most of which I couldn't hear at the time of the recording. That just means that I'm able to discern a lot better now. It shows that I'm improving, albeit slowly. I'm okay with that.

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Steinway refinish
by TheLoneliestMonk. 08/17/19 08:18 PM
Rare condition makes music painful for pianist
by FrankCox. 08/17/19 06:47 PM
Rare condition makes music painful for pianist
by FrankCox. 08/17/19 06:46 PM
What brand of hammers are these from the 80's?
by Piano Danno. 08/17/19 06:23 PM
Finally accepting reality
by KevinM. 08/17/19 04:59 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,590
Posts2,859,817
Members94,179
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission