Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
122 registered members (barbaram, Blague, beeboss, 5150917069, Animisha, 30 invisible), 3,406 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Re: Audiophile Stuff! Turn away! Specs and sound. [Re: CyberGene] #2849942
05/19/19 11:09 AM
05/19/19 11:09 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by CyberGene
Are you sure you can distinguish between a €500 amp and €10000 amp in a blind test? smile

I think there are people who could based on character of the sound, if they knew the make/model of the two amps in question. The interesting test would be if we were to take two highly rated amps in audiophile reviews - one €500 (yes, audiophile mags do review €500 amps! LOL) and the other €10000, and the listeners are only told one is €500, the other is €10000, pick the more expensive one! smile

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
(ad) SWEETWATER Lowest Prices
Re: Audiophile Stuff! Turn away! Specs and sound. [Re: CyberGene] #2849945
05/19/19 11:15 AM
05/19/19 11:15 AM
New York City
L
LarryK Online content
500 Post Club Member
LarryK  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
L

New York City
Are you sure you can distinguish between a €500 amp and €10000 amp in a blind test? smile

Yes, I am pretty sure I can but I would rather spend my time listening to music than doing blind tests.

Right now, I’m running a $1000 Class D amp while my expensive amp is in for repairs after being taken out by something, most likely by a huge power surge from a transformer explosion at ConEd.

Can I hear a difference between the cheap amp and the expensive amp? Absolutely. Is it a significant difference? Yes. Would I sell the expensive amp when I get it back and keep the Class D amp? Nope. Too bad the Class D amp does not beat the more expensive amp because, if it did, I would save a lot of money.

I know, it’s not a blind test but it is what my ears tell me after swapping out a single component.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: Audiophile Stuff! Turn away! Specs and sound. [Re: Bruce In Philly] #2849954
05/19/19 11:35 AM
05/19/19 11:35 AM
Sofia, Bulgaria
CyberGene Online content
4000 Post Club Member
CyberGene  Online Content
4000 Post Club Member

Sofia, Bulgaria
Well, you already know you’re listening to one or the other and your expectations are fully working smile That’s why blind tests are useful and why many people who otherwise swear by what they can hear actually fail them smile

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
Re: Audiophile Stuff! Turn away! Specs and sound. [Re: CyberGene] #2849974
05/19/19 12:28 PM
05/19/19 12:28 PM
New York City
L
LarryK Online content
500 Post Club Member
LarryK  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
L

New York City
Well, you already know you’re listening to one or the other and your expectations are fully working smile That’s why blind tests are useful and why many people who otherwise swear by what they can hear actually fail them smile

Of course, I knew you were going to say that. Regardless of the type of test, I still rely on my sense of hearing. If it makes you feel better to say that my sense of hearing can always be tricked, well, go ahead and hold that view. I want you to be happy. I don’t need a blind taste test to differentiate between an avocado and a tomato.

Last edited by LarryK; 05/19/19 12:29 PM.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: Audiophile Stuff! Turn away! Specs and sound. [Re: LarryK] #2849976
05/19/19 12:32 PM
05/19/19 12:32 PM
Celestis
Granyala Offline
500 Post Club Member
Granyala  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Celestis
Originally Posted by LarryK
P.S. If I could only listen to headphones, I’d drop the money for the top of the line STAX. After all, by definition, you’re not spending the money to build a two channel system with speakers, so, why not?

Because, contrary to you, I do not have infinite disposable income. 1.5K for my Clear was already borderline insane to spend on audio given my financial situation. (I don't regret it though)

If I had, I would buy a house first and get some nice speakers in a dedicated listening room.

Top of the line STAX are what ~5K?
Add another 5K for the specialty amp (b/c you can't drive them electrostatics with any equipment, compared to normal HPs).

Hmm, what kind of musicians don’t care about sound quality? Classical? Rock? Pop? I don’t believe that musicians who have spent decades perfecting their sound don’t care if that sound is ruined on the recording. Poorly recorded CDs will not sell well.

Read up on the thing called "loudness war", listen to modern music (I know most of it sucks)... hear the clipping distortion, hear the squashed dynamics, hear the crappy lossy compression in nearly all mainstream media..
Most artists / studio engineers do NOT care about audiophilia and neither does the vast, overwhelming majority of listeners.
These are professionals and they know their mathematics. They have neutral pro grade gear that is well designed w/o any unnecessary marketing BS. Down to the essentials and .. often not exactly good looking either. Designed to get the job done.

People like you and me, that actively try to get the best sound they can, sit back and close their eyes while listening are a tiny subset of a tiny subset. Most peeps out there listen to crappy 10€ earbuds while doing all kinds of things while listening and call it a day.

With so little ambient sound, you start hearing the blood flowing through your own veins, a disconcerting sound, and one you never hear normally.

Indeed, operational noises of our bodies are annoying as f***. To bad for me that I hear them most of the time. I can also feel my pulse w/o putting a finger on any artery.

Speakers and amps are the two biggest parts of the equation.

Partially correct:
Speakers and room are the biggest factors, in nearly every system, interactions with an unoptimized room degrade SQ far more than any "cheap" amp could. Cheap being a relative term, mind you, of course the amp has to be of sufficient quality to not add distortion/color the signal and cope with the attached load at the desired volumes.

Now regarding your amp: Why did you redact the spec sheet? This is a little paranoid.
I see rather high wattage, okay, if you think you need that (hint: unless you plan to go deaf or have a very large room to fill, you don't).

Okay, lets compare that to my amp: Yamaha RX-V377.
Note: That IS an entry level AVR and was the most modest and cheapest Yamaha had on offer when I needed an amp in aa pinch. (more would not make sense for my speakers, more power would not be useful, I run it at -40dB and the neighbor already complains about the bass level (lol I swear that guy can hear grass grow laugh )

I have 70W @0.09/THD
You get 0.05 @ 50W
Yup, a little lower but both are well below any audible levels.

Frequency response
Mine: 10 - 100KHz +0 / -3db
Yours: 0 - 350KHz +-3db
In terms of what we can hear: 20 - 20000 that would be a tie. Both amps should be linear in that range with roll offs at the extremes of the spectrum.

S/N ratio:
Mine: 110db
Yours 79dB
Differences in measurements/weighting? Unclear since I do not know how the measurements are performed. Your amp seems considerably noisier but -79 should still be inaudible.

Power consumption idle:
Holy Moly yours eats 500W w/o doing squat all... yay Class A heater!
Sadly, my manual doesn't specify smirk

Your amp outperforms mine on paper. Easily. It should, yet according to the numbers I see, apart from a lousy class A efficiency I don't see anything that makes me go "OMG awesome". Chances are good that when I hear your amps paired with my speakers, I would not notice much of a difference... well ... except in the electrical bill and room temperature.

Wanna see a really well designed headphone amp with values that make audiophiles drool?
https://jdslabs.com/product/atom-amp/
Bam! 99$. Yeah, it is possible to design great hardware w/o it costing an arm and a leg.

Last edited by Granyala; 05/19/19 12:36 PM.

The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.
VPC 1 -> Pianoteq 6 Std | Garritan CFX / Pearl Alto Flute 201
Re: Audiophile Stuff! Turn away! Specs and sound. [Re: Bruce In Philly] #2849977
05/19/19 12:33 PM
05/19/19 12:33 PM
Raleigh, North Carolina
MacMacMac Offline
9000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Raleigh, North Carolina
Is there a difference between fact and foolishness? I think there is.

Re: Audiophile Stuff! Turn away! Specs and sound. [Re: Granyala] #2849988
05/19/19 12:42 PM
05/19/19 12:42 PM

6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Granyala
Add another 5K for the specialty amp (b/c you can't drive them electrostatics with any equipment, compared to normal HPs).

If you are interested in electrostatics, the low-end STAX, w/ amp can be had for around the price of your Focals.

I am not interested. The DC bias alone is >500V. I just like that so close to my head.

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Audiophile Stuff! Turn away! Specs and sound. [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2849990
05/19/19 12:47 PM
05/19/19 12:47 PM
Celestis
Granyala Offline
500 Post Club Member
Granyala  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Celestis
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

If you are interested in electrostatics, the low-end STAX, w/ amp can be had for around the price of your Focals.

I am not interested. The DC bias alone is >500V. I just like that so close to my head.

I thought about Stax when doing my research but honestly, I wanted the signature of the Focals and the whole non portable special rig turned me off.
I can put my Clear into it's case and take it with me / plug it into virtually anything with it's 55 Ohm impedance, since it isn't hard to drive.

Imagine taking a pair of Stax on vacation.
Unless you plan to french kiss your Electrostats, I wouldn't worry about the voltage. laugh

The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.
Re: Audiophile Stuff! Turn away! Specs and sound. [Re: Bruce In Philly] #2849993
05/19/19 12:53 PM
05/19/19 12:53 PM
New York City
L
LarryK Online content
500 Post Club Member
LarryK  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
L

New York City
One quick statement, how in the world can you claim that I have infinite disposable income? That is an absurd statement. I worked for a guy worth around half a billion dollars and even he didn’t have infinite disposable income. Hyperbole like this statement is not useful.

Last edited by LarryK; 05/19/19 12:53 PM.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: Audiophile Stuff! Turn away! Specs and sound. [Re: Granyala] #2849997
05/19/19 01:03 PM
05/19/19 01:03 PM
New York City
L
LarryK Online content
500 Post Club Member
LarryK  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
L

New York City

P.S. If I could only listen to headphones, I’d drop the money for the top of the line STAX. After all, by definition, you’re not spending the money to build a two channel system with speakers, so, why not?

Because, contrary to you, I do not have infinite disposable income. 1.5K for my Clear was already borderline insane to spend on audio given my financial situation. (I don't regret it though)

If I had, I would buy a house first and get some nice speakers in a dedicated listening room.

Hmm, what kind of musicians don’t care about sound quality? Classical? Rock? Pop? I don’t believe that musicians who have spent decades perfecting their sound don’t care if that sound is ruined on the recording. Poorly recorded CDs will not sell well.

Read up on the thing called "loudness war", listen to modern music (I know most of it sucks)... hear the clipping distortion, hear the squashed dynamics, hear the crappy lossy compression in nearly all mainstream media..
Most artists / studio engineers do NOT care about audiophilia and neither does the vast, overwhelming majority of listeners.
These are professionals and they know their mathematics. They have neutral pro grade gear that is well designed w/o any unnecessary marketing BS. Down to the essentials and .. often not exactly good looking either. Designed to get the job done.

People like you and me, that actively try to get the best sound they can, sit back and close their eyes while listening are a tiny subset of a tiny subset. Most peeps out there listen to crappy 10€ earbuds while doing all kinds of things while listening and call it a day.

With so little ambient sound, you start hearing the blood flowing through your own veins, a disconcerting sound, and one you never hear normally.

Indeed, operational noises of our bodies are annoying as f***. To bad for me that I hear them most of the time. I can also feel my pulse w/o putting a finger on any artery.

Speakers and amps are the two biggest parts of the equation.

Partially correct:
Speakers and room are the biggest factors, in nearly every system, interactions with an unoptimized room degrade SQ far more than any "cheap" amp could. Cheap being a relative term, mind you, of course the amp has to be of sufficient quality to not add distortion/color the signal and cope with the attached load at the desired volumes.

Now regarding your amp: Why did you redact the spec sheet? This is a little paranoid.
I see rather high wattage, okay, if you think you need that (hint: unless you plan to go deaf or have a very large room to fill, you don't).

Okay, lets compare that to my amp: Yamaha RX-V377.
Note: That IS an entry level AVR and was the most modest and cheapest Yamaha had on offer when I needed an amp in aa pinch. (more would not make sense for my speakers, more power would not be useful, I run it at -40dB and the neighbor already complains about the bass level (lol I swear that guy can hear grass grow laugh )

I have 70W @0.09/THD
You get 0.05 @ 50W
Yup, a little lower but both are well below any audible levels.

Frequency response
Mine: 10 - 100KHz +0 / -3db
Yours: 0 - 350KHz +-3db
In terms of what we can hear: 20 - 20000 that would be a tie. Both amps should be linear in that range with roll offs at the extremes of the spectrum.

S/N ratio:
Mine: 110db
Yours 79dB
Differences in measurements/weighting? Unclear since I do not know how the measurements are performed. Your amp seems considerably noisier but -79 should still be inaudible.

Power consumption idle:
Holy Moly yours eats 500W w/o doing squat all... yay Class A heater!
Sadly, my manual doesn't specify smirk

Your amp outperforms mine on paper. Easily. It should, yet according to the numbers I see, apart from a lousy class A efficiency I don't see anything that makes me go "OMG awesome". Chances are good that when I hear your amps paired with my speakers, I would not notice much of a difference... well ... except in the electrical bill and room temperature.

Wanna see a really well designed headphone amp with values that make audiophiles drool?
https://jdslabs.com/product/atom-amp/
Bam! 99$. Yeah, it is possible to design great hardware w/o it costing an arm and a leg.

Your amp and my amp are not in the same country as far as performance.

You’re ignoring the watts my amp can swing on transients, which is what a lot of complicated orchestral music requires for an exciting musical presentation. Some people call this slam.

I don’t play loud except for when it must be loud when playing back recordings that have a wide dynamic range. A Brahms Symphony can have a dynamic range of around 18 as measured by Tidal, Norah Jones is around 9.

I know all about the loudness wars. I don’t listen to that kind of crappy music.

The extra cost for the electric bill is around $50 a month, well worth it for the quality of sound I achieve. People blow more in Starbucks in two weeks.

I redacted because there are other products on the screenshot and I wanted you to just look at the numbers.

Last edited by LarryK; 05/19/19 01:06 PM.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: Audiophile Stuff! Turn away! Specs and sound. [Re: LarryK] #2849998
05/19/19 01:04 PM
05/19/19 01:04 PM
Celestis
Granyala Offline
500 Post Club Member
Granyala  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Celestis
One quick statement, how in the world can you claim that I have infinite disposable income? That is an absurd statement. I worked for a guy worth around half a billion dollars and even he didn’t have infinite disposable income. Hyperbole like this statement is not useful.

Figure of speech, not to be taken in the strict mathematical sense. wink

From the way you talk, it seems like a 10K amp is pocket change for you.
Compared to a person that can MAYBE, if life is kind, put away 2K/year, that does look like "he can buy whatever he fancies, monetary aspects be damned".

Re: Audiophile Stuff! Turn away! Specs and sound. [Re: Granyala] #2849999
05/19/19 01:08 PM
05/19/19 01:08 PM
New York City
L
LarryK Online content
500 Post Club Member
LarryK  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
L

New York City

Figure of speech, not to be taken in the strict mathematical sense. wink

From the way you talk, it seems like a 10K amp is pocket change for you.
Compared to a person that can MAYBE, if life is kind, put away 2K/year, that does look like "he can buy whatever he fancies, monetary aspects be damned".

It is not pocket change to me, this amp is my lifetime amp, the one I expect to keep until I die and I gritted my teeth to buy it. I looked for seven years to find this amp on the used market at a price I could barely justify. I sold it to my wife based on how it consumes less floor space than my last amplifier, lol. I will not tell her the price.

Last edited by LarryK; 05/19/19 01:11 PM.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: Audiophile Stuff! Turn away! Specs and sound. [Re: Bruce In Philly] #2850000
05/19/19 01:10 PM
05/19/19 01:10 PM

6000 Post Club Member

The key is to get one's disposable income to the level where one can afford one's hobbies. Everything beyond that is gravy.

Re: Audiophile Stuff! Turn away! Specs and sound. [Re: Bruce In Philly] #2850001
05/19/19 01:11 PM
05/19/19 01:11 PM
Celestis
Granyala Offline
500 Post Club Member
Granyala  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Celestis
I don’t play loud except for when it must be loud when playing back recordings that have a wide dynamic range. A Brahms Symphony can have a dynamic range of around 18 as measured by Tidal, Norah Jones is around 9.

Double wattage nets you +3 db, so when you listen to efficient speakers at 90dB (1W for ease of calculus)
You need 8W to get to that +9dB and 64W to get to +18dB.

My amp can hold 70W continuous and spit out 160W on brief transients.

However, that would be 108dB of loudness. Ouch!

Personally, the most dynamic recording I have is +12, necessitating a measly 16 watts @ 102dB. certainly enough that the neighbor complains.

*chuckles* Okay, I got the wrong impression then and stand corrected.
Probably a wise choice b/c WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) is always difficult to get when it comes to HiFi gear. laugh
I redacted because there are other products on the screenshot and I wanted you to just look at the numbers.

To be perfectly honest: I'd rather look at a pic of your system. (considering that listening to it is sadly out of the question) laugh

Last edited by Granyala; 05/19/19 01:20 PM.

Re: Audiophile Stuff! Turn away! Specs and sound. [Re: Granyala] #2850004
05/19/19 01:28 PM
05/19/19 01:28 PM
New York City
L
LarryK Online content
500 Post Club Member
LarryK  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
L

New York City

Double wattage nets you +3 db, so when you listen to efficient speakers at 90dB (1W for ease of calculus)
You need 8W to get to that +9dB and 64W to get to +18dB.

My amp can hold 70W continuous and spit out 160W on brief transients.

However, that would be 108dB of loudness. Ouch!

Personally, the most dynamic recording I have is +12, necessitating a measly 16 watts @ 102dB. certainly enough that the neighbor complains.

*chuckles* Okay, I got the wrong impression then and stand corrected.
Probably a wise choice b/c WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) is always difficult to get when it comes to HiFi gear. laugh

To be perfectly honest: I'd rather look at a pic of your system. (considering that listening to it is sadly out of the question) laugh

You know, my quest has never been about playing at loud volume levels and I have never had a neighbor complain about my stereo. That doesn’t mean that it doesn’t get loud but I do not play at ear splitting levels.

My desire is to have a sound that is eerily lifelike and I like what I have built in terms of that criteria. Vocals are stunning for their depth and emotional content. Like I mentioned before, I tricked an electrician working in my kitchen into thinking I was playing the cello in the living room. That was kind of a blind test. Why he didn’t realize that I was using the new 20amp circuits he had installed the day before, I do not know, he just said he walked into the living room expecting me to be seated there with my cello, and I was not, lol. I don’t play the cello, and even if I did, I wouldn’t sound like Pablo Casals.

My speakers have a unit that actively rolls off bass so as to avoid the problem of bass overhang in small rooms. I do not run a sub although that would make the bottom end better if done right.

Last edited by LarryK; 05/19/19 01:30 PM.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: Audiophile Stuff! Turn away! Specs and sound. [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2850006
05/19/19 01:31 PM
05/19/19 01:31 PM
Raleigh, North Carolina
MacMacMac Offline
9000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Raleigh, North Carolina
Speaking of this ...
The key is to get one's disposable income to the level where one can afford one's hobbies. Everything beyond that is gravy.
I get the impression that you're retired.
Did I guess right? Or am I full of it?

Re: Audiophile Stuff! Turn away! Specs and sound. [Re: LarryK] #2850007
05/19/19 01:36 PM
05/19/19 01:36 PM
Celestis
Granyala Offline
500 Post Club Member
Granyala  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Celestis
My desire is to have a sound that is eerily lifelike and I like what I have built in terms of that criteria.
My speakers have a unit that actively rolls off bass so as to avoid the problem of bass overhang in small rooms. I do not run a sub although that would make the bottom end better if done right.
Well ultimately that is the most important aspect. After all, we build these systems to enjoy them.
As for the sub: integration and placement is very difficult. In terms of music listening (organ music and electronic music excluded) you are almost always better off w/o one.

I wouldn't want to watch a movie w/o a sub though. So much fun to feel the couch rumble. laugh

Re: Audiophile Stuff! Turn away! Specs and sound. [Re: MacMacMac] #2850011
05/19/19 01:56 PM
05/19/19 01:56 PM

6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Speaking of this ...
I get the impression that you're retired.
Did I guess right? Or am I full of it?

Nope. Just a business owner.

Re: Audiophile Stuff! Turn away! Specs and sound. [Re: Granyala] #2850014
05/19/19 01:59 PM
05/19/19 01:59 PM
New York City
L
LarryK Online content
500 Post Club Member
LarryK  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
L

New York City
My desire is to have a sound that is eerily lifelike and I like what I have built in terms of that criteria.
Well ultimately that is the most important aspect. After all, we build these systems to enjoy them.
As for the sub: integration and placement is very difficult. In terms of music listening (organ music and electronic music excluded) you are almost always better off w/o one.

I wouldn't want to watch a movie w/o a sub though. So much fun to feel the couch rumble. laugh

I agree, which is why I have not installed a sub and will not. Bass energy is the most problematic to control because the waves are so long, of course.

If I want to listen to organ music, I’ll go to St. John the Divine in Manhattan and listen to their organ, which has over 8,000 pipes. There is nothing else like it and I know I’ll never come close to reproducing that sound. I heard a performance of Bach’s complete orgelbüchlein a few months ago, it was stunning to hear that. It’s hard to know exactly where to sit, the organist gave us some tips, and I went with sitting in the chorister seats.

As for WAF, cost, and all that, I don’t own a car and I had the most assets when we married. I started out after college with about $3k to my name, and no debt, so building a system like this was a long time coming. My wife sometimes asks if we can sell all the gear and just get a radio, and I say, nope.

Last edited by LarryK; 05/19/19 02:03 PM.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: Audiophile Stuff! Turn away! Specs and sound. [Re: LarryK] #2850018
05/19/19 02:16 PM
05/19/19 02:16 PM
Celestis
Granyala Offline
500 Post Club Member
Granyala  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Celestis
If I want to listen to organ music, I’ll go to St. John the Divine in Manhattan and listen to their organ, which has over 8,000 pipes. There is nothing else like it and I know I’ll never come close to reproducing that sound. I heard a performance of Bach’s complete orgelbüchlein a few months ago, it was stunning to hear that. It’s hard to know exactly where to sit, the organist gave us some tips, and I went with sitting in the chorister seats.

My wife sometimes asks if we can sell all the gear and just get a radio, and I say, nope.

Man, I envy you. I always imagined how it would be to witness a live organ performance. Maybe one day.

Sell the gear and buy a radio .... HERESY I say... but which brings us right back to the point that audiophile SQ isn't important for many people. wink

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  Piano World 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Strich & Zeidler
by Iamwill80. 09/19/19 09:43 AM
Used Pianos from College Sales and other names ;-)
by letsplayit. 09/19/19 06:12 AM
homage to bach
by OscoBosco. 09/18/19 11:53 PM
Kawai CS8 and ES8
by Dkrs60. 09/18/19 08:39 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,102
Posts2,871,017
Members94,447
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission