2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (Aylin, brdwyguy, bcalvanese, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, 6 invisible), 1,336 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by jshelton
If I recall correctly Friedrich Gulda tried giving concerts in the nude. Don't know how much of a success it was.

Barely successful, I would think!

Cheers!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
There's a successful trio, captured in a (humorous) painting by Beryl Cook.

https://www.gettyimages.ae/detail/v...ate-news-footage/674431366?adppopup=true

(Play the linked vid: nice piano bench. ha )

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
My August Förster came with a leather Jansen artist bench ($1100 retail). It's very heavy (35 pounds?) and obviously will last forever. However, I've never found Jansen benches to be all that comfortable. As I have lower back problems, after extensive research on this forum and elsewhere, I found an Andexinger Ergo bench for a very reasonable price at Thomann, the big German music store:

Andexinger Ergo Piano Bench

[Linked Image]

I love this bench. I ordered the bench online, and they had it to me in less than 10 days. It's very comfortable, strong, not super heavy, and the mechanism is silent.

So now I have an expensive Jansen bench I don't use! My teacher thinks the church she plays for might buy it from me.

August Förster 215
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD
Originally Posted by jshelton
If I recall correctly Friedrich Gulda tried giving concerts in the nude. Don't know how much of a success it was.

Barely successful, I would think!

Cheers!

grin

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by malkin
The woolie on the bench looks nice. I'm not sure about sliding around though.

As for sitting on leather (or plastic or wood for that matter), I'm afraid that the occasional glimpses of my rather ancient thighs would be quite a horrifying distraction to both performer and listener, so I generally only play while fully clothed.

No, it's got the soft back of the sheepskin which grips the seat very well - I have used one for at least 25 or 30 years, as has my Mum for even longer. I had to replace mine a few years ago as it finally wore out.

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rickster

As for sitting on leather (or plastic or wood for that matter), I'm afraid that the occasional glimpses of my rather ancient thighs would be quite a horrifying distraction to both performer and listener, so I generally only play while fully clothed.

Malkin, your comment reminds me of a post I made on PW a few years ago about a certain piano dealer who made an advertisement video of him playing one of his pianos buck-naked (as we say here in the south smile ).

Of course, you could only see the back side of him and very little anatomy at that. Puts a whole new light on the song, "By the light of the bare skin silvery moon". But another member didn't like my comments and reported it to the moderators.

Moral of the story? The bench doesn't have to be comfortable to bare skin, just clothed skin, at least on Piano World. smile

Rick

Depends on how you sit on the piano bench. My mum would perch on the very front of the bench which I did too for years - probably because I was too lazy to move it!!!

Actually, I won't admit to being lazy - just procrastinating. I'm very good at procrastinating - why do something today which I can quite easily procrastinate again till the day after the day after tomorrow? I mightn't live that long and it would have been a waste of time - though that argument hasn't worked out yet.

But with back, hip ... and anything else you care to name - issues, I find I'm needing to sit further back, and if I'm in shorts, my leg can be in contact with the bench (and presumably the same happens if in a skirt - had no experience myself). And - yes, I do move it nowdays, often start a playing session perched on the front, then move it toward the piano when my back is screaming for more support.

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
Online Content
Originally Posted by backto_study_piano
Depends on how you sit on the piano bench. My mum would perch on the very front of the bench which I did too for years - probably because I was too lazy to move it!!!

Actually, I won't admit to being lazy - just procrastinating. I'm very good at procrastinating - why do something today which I can quite easily procrastinate again till the day after the day after tomorrow? I mightn't live that long and it would have been a waste of time - though that argument hasn't worked out yet.

But with back, hip ... and anything else you care to name - issues, I find I'm needing to sit further back, and if I'm in shorts, my leg can be in contact with the bench (and presumably the same happens if in a skirt - had no experience myself). And - yes, I do move it nowdays, often start a playing session perched on the front, then move it toward the piano when my back is screaming for more support.

For years, I sat on the bench too close to the keyboard on the piano in a kind of slouch position. Never had any formal training, which I needed, but didn't know I needed it until it was too late. smile

That said, I learned as I went and as my piano playing has improved I've moved the bench further back away from the keyboard and my piano posture is better along with the position of my arms and fingers. Still, not that I can play all that well, but I have learned that how we sit at the bench can make a difference (or not:-).

On the other hand, I've seen some very well known concert pianists in some really slouchy sitting positions on the piano bench. So, I guess it's an individual thing as to how we sit at the bench, what bench we like or not like or if we sit at all. Some new-age pianists/performers stand while plying the digital stage piano. Personally, I'd rather sit while playing... smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by backto_study_piano

For years, I sat on the bench too close to the keyboard on the piano in a kind of slouch position. Never had any formal training, which I needed, but didn't know I needed it until it was too late. smile

That said, I learned as I went and as my piano playing has improved I've moved the bench further back away from the keyboard and my piano posture is better along with the position of my arms and fingers. Still, not that I can play all that well, but I have learned that how we sit at the bench can make a difference (or not:-).

On the other hand, I've seen some very well known concert pianists in some really slouchy sitting positions on the piano bench. So, I guess it's an individual thing as to how we sit at the bench, what bench we like or not like or if we sit at all. Some new-age pianists/performers stand while plying the digital stage piano. Personally, I'd rather sit while playing... smile

Rick

Standing at a stage piano - bad news. A young "acquaintance" insisted that it was the "cool" thing to do. I'd sit to play the awful plastic piano at that Church, but he insisted on raising it up and standing when he played. His hands were bent back at a horrible angle. But - it was "cool" - or did I say that? But the damage being done to his arms and wrists horrified me.

Glenn Gould sat very low on a low chair, and he sat slouched badly. Not sure if this link will work?
https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...a431e8090de/1500584111299/glenngould.jpg

WIKI says of Gould "The piano had to be set at a certain height and would be raised on wooden blocks if necessary. A small rug would sometimes be required for his feet underneath the piano. He had to sit exactly fourteen inches above the floor, and would play concerts only while sitting on the old chair his father had made. He continued to use this chair even when the seat was completely worn through."

There are many GOOGLE references to him having had extreme pain toward the end of his (all too short) life.

WIKI also quotes George Szell "That nut's a genius."

M
M
Originally Posted by Seeker
Jansen will recondition a bench if shipped to them. (...not sure if a tech has to do this for you). Reconditioning involves putting the mechanism into working order as well as reupholstering.

This is good to know! My bench, which came with my Petrof, is about a the end of its life for cushioning. I was thinking about buying another, but perhaps I can get Jansen to recondition it!

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
T
T
Guidance is good, and we all can benefit from expert's advice. However, I find that nowadays it is so easy to end up going around in circle looking for "the best" thing, reading reviews, comparing prices etc. I do that too, and often wind up more undecided and confused than I was in the beginning. You know, like when you're looking on something on Amazon that has 90% five stars reviews but there's this guy... this guy, that gives 1 star and he really seems to make a valid point...

In a case like this, I think all you can really do is find a way to try as many options as you can. Because in the end it's all a matter of just one thing: what it's comfortable for YOU.

[Linked Image]

S
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
S
I've used a standard office chair at times and found it satisfactory. They adjust easily, have decent back support if you want that and are easily moved. One will do if you need something quickly and want to wait until you have time to "test drive" some other options that you might have to travel to find. Just be careful of ones with arms to prevent scratches.

David

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I have an Andexinger steel hydraulic bench, which has served me well for years.

At my digital, I have a widish wooden stool from IKEA. I knew that it was roughly the same height as another (fairly low) piano stool I used to have, so I planned to make some sort of cover with padding underneath to get the exact height I wanted, but that wasn't necessary in the end. It's bare wood, and I can sit on it for hours. Sometimes you just get lucky with these things. The stool is 45 cm in height, so it should be fairly easy to add height. I'm the same height as the OP, but my digital is slightly lower than my grand.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by johnstaf
... It's bare wood, and I can sit on it for hours ...

I play Pipe Organ - on a wooden bench. In the morning worship I sit for about 1¼ to 1½ hrs before the sermon, then another 20 mins afterwards (and the pews are wooden for the sermon, but I have a cushion!! Evening isn't quite as long. But on Pipe Organ, you're more active - whole body, 2 legs, so that might help.

Our '60s KAWAI when I was a teenager had a wooden bench too, now that I think of it.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Malkin, your comment reminds me of a post I made on PW a few years ago about a certain piano dealer who made an advertisement video of him playing one of his pianos buck-naked (as we say here in the south smile ).

Of course, you could only see the back side of him and very little anatomy at that. Puts a whole new light on the song, "By the light of the bare skin silvery moon". But another member didn't like my comments and reported it to the moderators.

Moral of the story? The bench doesn't have to be comfortable to bare skin, just clothed skin, at least on Piano World. smile

Rick

Which reminds me about the piano stool joke, which I am not allowed to post. It would certainly get me banned.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
Online Content
Originally Posted by PhilipInChina
Which reminds me about the piano stool joke, which I am not allowed to post. It would certainly get me banned.

Which reminds me of the old, antique piano stools with the claw-feet and crystal ball on the bottom of the legs. Also, the round seat raised up and down with a big threaded screw type center post; twist the stool counter-clockwise for up and clockwise for down. I have one of those, and older original. Original ones can be fairly expensive too, when you can find them.

I've seen advertisements for older upright pianos that included the old, adjustable claw-foot stools.

In lieu of an adjustable, padded concert bench, I prefer the standard wood bench with a cushioned pad on top, or no cushion at all if I'm not sitting too long at a time. If I'm playing my digital stage piano at an outdoor event I still take one of my regular wood piano benches.

Interesting discussion. smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by PhilipInChina

Which reminds me of the old, antique piano stools with the claw-feet and crystal ball on the bottom of the legs. Also, the round seat raised up and down with a big threaded screw type center post; twist the stool counter-clockwise for up and clockwise for down. I have one of those, and older original. Original ones can be fairly expensive too, when you can find them.

I've seen advertisements for older upright pianos that included the old, adjustable claw-foot stools.

In lieu of an adjustable, padded concert bench, I prefer the standard wood bench with a cushioned pad on top, or no cushion at all if I'm not sitting too long at a time. If I'm playing my digital stage piano at an outdoor event I still take one of my regular wood piano benches.

Interesting discussion. smile

Rick

FYI
Since I have vintage pianos, I wanted the antique stool with claw feet.,.... not for me, as they are quite uncomfortable but a place for my cat to sit 🙀.
Found vintage stools under $100 on eBay, including shipping.

The standard wood bench would Not work for me, as my body mechanics would be poor.

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by WhoDwaldi
In the long run, I think it's best to bite the bullet (an initially very expensive one) and buy an artist bench--the kind with knobs to adjust the height.

Everybody will recommend Jansen.
http://www.pianosupplies.com/pianos/JansenArtist.html

I second this motion! I love my Jensen artist bench and find it worth every cent.

Bösendorfer 170
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Lakeviewsteve
Originally Posted by WhoDwaldi
In the long run, I think it's best to bite the bullet (an initially very expensive one) and buy an artist bench--the kind with knobs to adjust the height.

Everybody will recommend Jansen.
http://www.pianosupplies.com/pianos/JansenArtist.html

I second this motion! I love my Jensen artist bench and find it worth every cent.

And I'll third the motion! I wouldn't want to be without mine. There's a reason why the Jansen is the icon that it is.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
I would never give up my Jansen bench, but the only disadvantage - if that's the right word (perhaps inconvenience is a better one) - is that it takes so very many nob turns to raise it from its lowest level to the highest. For us pianists, maybe that's a good exercise for the wrists! The only time when this becomes a problem is when one of my colleagues plays; she sits low, and I sit high. That's when I bring out the adjustable chair I imaged earlier because adjusting it is so much easier and quicker than adjusting the Jansen.

That ease of adjustability is something to consider if several pianists sit at the same piano regularly. Otherwise, for most of us, our one position is the only one we need, most of the time.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Somewhat similar to Rickster’s setup, I have a standard Yamaha padded bench in black. It’s a bit short for me so I tried some cheap increased padding. If I grab a fitted dining room seat cushion it’s very comfortable. But I wanted something that looked cool. I thought thick saddle blankets might work. I found that my thick black woolen saddle blanket is perfect. Handwoven to cushion the horse’s back and the rider’s behind. It’s very comfortable and I’m still able to use it.
I have a well padded adjustable seat and adjustable stand for my Casio.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission