Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
134 registered members (achoo42, barbaram, Andymania, AlphaBravoCharlie, ando, Adypiano, anotherscott, accordeur, Animisha, 30 invisible), 1,635 guests, and 20 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Who is the Adult Beginner's Forum for? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2848769
05/16/19 11:40 AM
05/16/19 11:40 AM
South Wales
C
Colin Miles Offline
500 Post Club Member
Colin Miles  Offline
500 Post Club Member
C

South Wales
Surely it doesn't really matter. Whether we are a beginner, intermediate, advanced or concert level, or a teacher or a tuner, we can all learn something from these threads. Yes, better to post in the appropriate one, but if you stick to just your 'level' or your 'expertise' you are likely to miss something interesting.

Roland LX7

South Wales, UK
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Who is the Adult Beginner's Forum for? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2848770
05/16/19 11:43 AM
05/16/19 11:43 AM
W
WeakLeftHand Offline
WeakLeftHand  Offline
W

Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
But I think this is all par for the course. There should be nothing astounding in this makeup of the references to piano teachers on ABF by various members.

It should be noted that it hardly makes sense for the majority of the members of ABF to be anti-teacher. In the last ABF survey in the autumn, 57.3% of the ABF members that responded to the survey have a teacher. I think anti-piano-teacher folks would hardly have a teacher themselves.

Maybe I've been oblivious but I haven't noticed any blatant anti-teacher threads or posts? There was one I remember when a student complained about all of his teachers...but I think most people there concluded the problem might not have been with the teachers.

But then, I'm fairly new here so maybe I just haven't seen it.

FWIW, I have a teacher and I like her. I have no anti-piano teacher sentiments, but I do have anti-piano teacher forum sentiments. grin

Last edited by WeakLeftHand; 05/16/19 11:45 AM.
Re: Who is the Adult Beginner's Forum for? [Re: WeakLeftHand] #2848776
05/16/19 11:55 AM
05/16/19 11:55 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand
Maybe I've been oblivious but I haven't noticed any blatant anti-teacher threads or posts? There was one I remember when a student complained about all of his teachers...but I think most people there concluded the problem might not have been with the teachers.

There have been a few threads, but I'm not going to link them so as not to fuel a fire. As I said, most have been anti-Piano Teacher forum comments, and the extent of other negative piano teacher sentiment has mostly been confined to people explaining why they don't have teachers themselves or don't believe a teacher can help them, with a "few" notable exceptions. For example, to illustrate the exceptions, one current forum member has, in the past explained that they can watch piano teachers in Youtube videos but would not want one to teach them one-on-one and is absolutely negative on piano teachers altogether, but has not been able to cogently explain the difference between the two - why a piano teacher-made video is OK but a live breathing piano teacher in the room with them is not.

I have no anti-piano teacher sentiments, but I do have anti-piano teacher forum sentiments. grin

As I said!

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Who is the Adult Beginner's Forum for? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2848777
05/16/19 11:57 AM
W
WeakLeftHand Offline
WeakLeftHand  Offline
W

There have been a few threads, but I'm not going to link them so as not to fuel a fire. As I said, most have been anti-Piano Teacher forum comments, and the extent of other negative piano teacher sentiment has mostly been confined to people explaining why they don't have teachers themselves or don't believe a teacher can help them, with a "few" notable exceptions. For example, to illustrate the exceptions, one current forum member has, in the past explained that they can watch piano teachers in Youtube videos but would not want one to teach them one-on-one and is absolutely negative on piano teachers altogether, but has not been able to cogently explain the difference between the two - why a piano teacher-made video is OK but a live breathing piano teacher in the room with them is not.

I have no anti-piano teacher sentiments, but I do have anti-piano teacher forum sentiments. grin

As I said!

Aaahhh! Thanks for the enlightenment.

Re: Who is the Adult Beginner's Forum for? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2848778
Finland
O
outo Offline
4000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O

Finland
I think teachers or advanced palyers are quite welcome here as well as total beginners. However we mostly try to be friendly or at least polite even when we disagree. So we don't call our fellow forum members "stinkers" even if we may sometimes think so quietly...

Re: Who is the Adult Beginner's Forum for? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2848850
05/16/19 02:17 PM
05/16/19 02:17 PM
Florida
cmb13 Online content

Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member

Florida
I agree we welcome advanced players and teachers here - we all have a lot to learn and expert opinions are valued. The only anti-teacher sentiment I am aware of stemmed from a very small handful of teachers who have been aggressively disparaging their students. Most of those comments were on the Teacher forum, not here.

Others may feel teachers are necessary for them, but that doesn’t make them anti-teacher.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune
Bach Inventions
Grieg Sonata - Andante molto

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Re: Who is the Adult Beginner's Forum for? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2848861
05/16/19 02:41 PM
05/16/19 02:41 PM
Texas
Dr. Rogers Offline
Dr. Rogers  Offline

Texas
Originally Posted by Stubbie
Perhaps, as a teacher, you're sensitized to critical remarks about teachers.

I think you're right.

a few ABF members, who may have mistakenly wandered into the Piano Teachers forum like a lamb led to slaughter....

That gave me a chuckle just now.

It should be noted that it hardly makes sense for the majority of the members of ABF to be anti-teacher.

Indeed, it's far from the majority. And there are styles where a teacher may not be needed. Those styles just don't exist in my world. cool

Austin Rogers, PhD
Music Teacher in Austin, TX
Baldwin SD-10 Concert Grand "Kuroneko", Baldwin Upright, Yamaha P-255
Re: Who is the Adult Beginner's Forum for? [Re: outo] #2848864
05/16/19 02:48 PM
05/16/19 02:48 PM
Texas
Dr. Rogers Offline
Dr. Rogers  Offline

Texas
Originally Posted by outo
I think teachers or advanced palyers are quite welcome here as well as total beginners. However we mostly try to be friendly or at least polite even when we disagree. So we don't call our fellow forum members "stinkers" even if we may sometimes think so quietly...

Sure. In general I wouldn't say something like that about other forum members, and there are many with whom I have had polite and professional disagreements. What you may not be aware of is that I have been harassed via private messages. I've received threats and been called all sorts of horrid names (in multiple languages, no less). I think "stinker" is a pretty mild word for people who would do such a thing.

Edit: Something just occurred to me. I wonder if it's because people see my avatar and think I'm female. I've always read that women experience much more harassment online than men. I don't know if that's the case or not.

Last edited by Dr. Rogers; 05/16/19 02:51 PM.

Austin Rogers, PhD
Music Teacher in Austin, TX
Baldwin SD-10 Concert Grand "Kuroneko", Baldwin Upright, Yamaha P-255
Re: Who is the Adult Beginner's Forum for? [Re: Dr. Rogers] #2848874
05/16/19 02:58 PM
05/16/19 02:58 PM
Chicago
P
Pau Gasol Offline
Pau Gasol  Offline
P

Chicago
Originally Posted by Dr. Rogers
I wonder if it's because people see my avatar and think I'm female. I've always read that women experience much more harassment online than men. I don't know if that's the case or not.

Oh! That answers my curiosity as to whether or not you were the "Ms. Rogers" who was my first piano teacher some 40 years ago, plus or minus. Must've been someone else! She didn't live in Texas though...

Re: Who is the Adult Beginner's Forum for? [Re: Dr. Rogers] #2848878
05/16/19 03:05 PM
05/16/19 03:05 PM
W
WeakLeftHand Offline
WeakLeftHand  Offline
W

Sure. In general I wouldn't say something like that about other forum members, and there are many with whom I have had polite and professional disagreements. What you may not be aware of is that I have been harassed via private messages. I've received threats and been called all sorts of horrid names (in multiple languages, no less). I think "stinker" is a pretty mild word for people who would do such a thing.

Edit: Something just occurred to me. I wonder if it's because people see my avatar and think I'm female. I've always read that women experience much more harassment online than men. I don't know if that's the case or not.

I do not see you have an avatar. I thought you were male!

I have had the same experience as you, being attacked via private message because that person could not win the argument in public. And yes, I am female, and yes, the attackers are usually older men. But I'm not sure they knew I was female. I just thought that's how older men handled arguments, all gloves off. I don't know. I guess I'm just generalizing.

Re: Who is the Adult Beginner's Forum for? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2848880
05/16/19 03:08 PM
05/16/19 03:08 PM
Victoria, BC
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
BruceD  Offline
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Victoria, BC
As for whom this forum is intended, I think it is intended for anyone who thinks s/he has something to contribute or has questions to ask, just like the other forums (fora?) on Piano World. Many of us are from experts, but do have some experience which may help others when it is shared.

Some of us even have opinions that we are willing to share! smile

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: Who is the Adult Beginner's Forum for? [Re: WeakLeftHand] #2848898
05/16/19 03:57 PM
05/16/19 03:57 PM
Greater Chicago Metro Area
E
EPW Online content
500 Post Club Member
EPW  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
E

I do not see you have an avatar. I thought you were male!

I have had the same experience as you, being attacked via private message because that person could not win the argument in public. And yes, I am female, and yes, the attackers are usually older men. But I'm not sure they knew I was female. I just thought that's how older men handled arguments, all gloves off. I don't know. I guess I'm just generalizing.

I didn't realize you were female to I saw one of your other posts the other day. Doesn't matter to me male / female I have gotten private emails on another music forum and I learned to just let it go. I'm male by the way.

As far as who is ABF for, I think all of us. I'm not a beginner but I never got to the really advanced stage either after all these years. Life got in the way. I always read Morodience post ,as an example, she offers good advice and is level headed in her answers.

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
Re: Who is the Adult Beginner's Forum for? [Re: Dr. Rogers] #2848902
05/16/19 04:08 PM
05/16/19 04:08 PM
Santa Fe, NM
J
jotur Offline
Gold Level
jotur  Offline
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J

Santa Fe, NM
I have been harassed via private messages. I've received threats and been called all sorts of horrid names (in multiple languages, no less).

You can put people on *ignore* and they can no longer send you private messages. Click on their username next to a post, and then on "view profile". Right under their initial information there is a series of brown boxes, and the far right one is "ignore".

In the context of public threads you will not be able to see the content of their posts unless you explicitly toggle a specific post. I've got a couple of people on *ignore* and I don't think I've missed anything smile Once in awhile I'll toggle a specific post, but largely I'm happy skipping them.

Last edited by jotur; 05/16/19 04:12 PM. Reason: added instructions for putting someone on "ignore"

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps “more music” is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
Re: Who is the Adult Beginner's Forum for? [Re: jotur] #2848905
05/16/19 04:19 PM
Florida
cmb13 Online content

Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member

Florida

Really? Names, threats??? Why in the world would anyone bother? That’s crazy.

Originally Posted by jotur

You can put people on *ignore* and they can no longer send you private messages. Click on their username next to a post, and then on "view profile". Right under their initial information there is a series of brown boxes, and the far right one is "ignore".

In the context of public threads you will not be able to see the content of their posts unless you explicitly toggle a specific post. I've got a couple of people on *ignore* and I don't think I've missed anything smile Once in awhile I'll toggle a specific post, but largely I'm happy skipping them.

Would love to see that ignore list, just for ideas wink.

Ps tell me if you can see this message lol.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune
Bach Inventions

Re: Who is the Adult Beginner's Forum for? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2848906
E
EPW Online content
500 Post Club Member
EPW  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
E

I usually don't use the ignore but just pass over those posts and never engage them. So far it seems to have worked for me. I just hope those folks that seem so angry in their posts are just putting on an act. For life is to short to be that angry face to face too.

Peace all smile

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
Re: Who is the Adult Beginner's Forum for? [Re: cmb13] #2848920
05/16/19 04:46 PM
05/16/19 04:46 PM
Santa Fe, NM
J
jotur Offline
Gold Level
jotur  Offline
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J

Santa Fe, NM
Originally Posted by cmb13
Ps tell me if you can see this message lol.

laugh

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps “more music” is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
Re: Who is the Adult Beginner's Forum for? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2848982
05/16/19 07:42 PM
05/16/19 07:42 PM
In the Ozarks of Missouri
NobleHouse Offline
2000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

In the Ozarks of Missouri
I have ever only used the "ignore" option on one person. I think that they shortly afterwards were "banned".

[Linked Image]
Re: Who is the Adult Beginner's Forum for? [Re: NobleHouse] #2848991
05/16/19 08:01 PM
05/16/19 08:01 PM
Florida
cmb13 Online content

Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member

Florida
Originally Posted by NobleHouse

What was that? Did someone say something?

Just kidding. I’ve never ignored someone....at least not on an official level.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune
Bach Inventions

Re: Who is the Adult Beginner's Forum for? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2849002
05/16/19 08:21 PM
05/16/19 08:21 PM
Canada
keystring Offline
keystring  Offline

Canada
I've never noticed this thread before. I'd say that the ABF is for LEARNERS. That's it. The Pianist forum is different in that there is an assumption that the members there already have backgrounds, and it may be expected that they know stuff, but there will be a bleedover either direction.

Where students have questions, teachers might pop up to give insight into those questions in the ABF. Advanced pianists might too. Some teachers are also still learners. Some advanced pianists are still learners. Pavarotti, at the end of his life, said "I am a student."

So I think the ABF is for learners, and about learning.

Young children would probably not post in the ABF because they are young children, but a 15 year old might well do so - and that should be quite ok.

Re: Who is the Adult Beginner's Forum for? [Re: keystring] #2849006
05/16/19 08:49 PM
05/16/19 08:49 PM
Florida
cmb13 Online content

Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member

Florida
Originally Posted by keystring
I've never noticed this thread before. I'd say that the ABF is for LEARNERS. That's it. The Pianist forum is different in that there is an assumption that the members there already have backgrounds, and it may be expected that they know stuff, but there will be a bleedover either direction.

Where students have questions, teachers might pop up to give insight into those questions in the ABF. Advanced pianists might too. Some teachers are also still learners. Some advanced pianists are still learners. Pavarotti, at the end of his life, said "I am a student."

So I think the ABF is for learners, and about learning.

Young children would probably not post in the ABF because they are young children, but a 15 year old might well do so - and that should be quite ok.

Exactly - Well put!

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune
Bach Inventions

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A question for sight readers
by hag01. 10/15/19 10:36 AM
Help me choose my next DP
by idfpiano. 10/15/19 10:15 AM
Disappointed with Roland piano
by Mils. 10/15/19 10:10 AM
Help for University course
by Bln99. 10/15/19 08:31 AM
raise up tuning in 20 minutes?
by Andymania. 10/15/19 07:53 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,532
Posts2,879,309
Members94,678
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission