Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
48 registered members (begin แบป, Chopin Acolyte, David Boyce, DSINTER, CyberGene, Animisha, cfrederi, ChiralSpiral, 13 invisible), 1,956 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 72 of 74 1 2 70 71 72 73 74
Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky] #2713522
02/11/18 05:58 PM
02/11/18 05:58 PM
Florida
cmb13 Offline

Silver Level
cmb13  Offline

Silver Level
2000 Post Club Member

Florida
Oh, I liked carolinakeys.....Im a Carolinas fan. Tar Heels!

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky] #2713536
02/11/18 06:33 PM
02/11/18 06:33 PM
Upstate SC
dobro Offline
500 Post Club Member
dobro  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Upstate SC
Iโ€™m right next door to Charlotte and catch all of the Tar Heel news. They have great programs there.

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently unit 4
Faber All In One -Level 2
Grateful Dead fan since 1987
Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky] #2718877
03/04/18 03:35 PM
03/04/18 03:35 PM
Germany
C
Contraalto64 Offline
Contraalto64  Offline
C

Germany
Hi, I'm a 54 years old German piano restarter. I had some lessons when I was thirteen. But financial issues kept me from going. It was always clear to me that one day, I would return to piano. And so I did. Six years ago I bought myself a nice upright and restarted lessons.
At the moment I don't have a teacher since I'd rather be on my own right now.
A year ago a nice Kawai GE 30 replaced my modest little upright and I enjoy playing even more.
Returning to piano was one of the best decisions ever made.

Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky] #2719215
03/05/18 08:14 PM
03/05/18 08:14 PM
Oregon
Pallen Offline
Pallen  Offline

Oregon
Greetings, PianoWorld

I am 56 years old from Oregon in the US with my Wife of 18 years. I have repeatedly tried at learning to play music but have found it very difficult as I am a slow learner. Well this time I am being a lot more serious about my practice as I use a 61 key board I was given. I shopped online for a teacher and for 8 months now I have been slowly but consistently learning a lot from her. I have next to no money to save each month for a digital piano slab but will keep at it, and once I both have enough for one AND prove to myself it will get used I will let myself get a used YD P-115 digital piano. I have already obtained an FC3A half and FC4A pedals for use with it as a good faith in myself investment. I am already using the FC4A with my current keyboard.

Using an eMeda 61 KB for dummies Yup, That's really what it's called. Can you blame for wanting to upgrade to an 88 key Digital Piano (ie. YDP115w). Yep, I've got the bug for digital sound and 88 keys. I am learning to play using PianoVideoLesson.com Year 1 Course, and am currently in Unit 3.
Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky] #2724411
03/26/18 09:59 AM
03/26/18 09:59 AM
R
Reaper_FBB Offline
Reaper_FBB  Offline
R

Hi all. This is actually my second post on this stream:-) I tried learning for the first time in 2012 but got stuck and frustrated after a couple of months and stopped.

However, my girlfriend got to grade 5 while at school (15 years ago) and has recently started playing again. This got me inspired to try again so I'm now a 48-year old beginner.

I started again in September 2017, bought the grade 1 books and aimed to do the grade 1 exam in March 2018. I had my exam on the 2nd March and am happy to say that I passed (and only 5 points short of a Merit).

I've now started the Grade 2 stuff and I'm hoping to do the exam later this year (although this may be a little optimistic since I'm finding the pieces pretty tough).

As well as continuing through the grades, I am aiming to Transcribe a few of my favourite songs. I'm already about half way through "Someone Else" by Queensryche and actually really enjoying it.

Also, I bought the music for I Giorni by Ludovico Einaudi and that is going to be a long-term project to dabble with here and there. So yeah, Hello again. I'm really enjoying it and the grade seem to keep me motivated because I have a clear aim... Let's see how it goes,

Cheers

Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky] #2724521
03/26/18 06:58 PM
03/26/18 06:58 PM
Florida
cmb13 Offline

Silver Level
cmb13  Offline

Silver Level
2000 Post Club Member

Florida
Good luck on your journey, Reaper! I'm 48 also, began at around 43. It can be done but it takes commitment. I also transcribe sometimes, or modify transcriptions to suit my level, but it is sometimes a big killer of time. Most importantly, have fun!

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune

Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky] #2724536
03/26/18 07:56 PM
03/26/18 07:56 PM
Kitsap County, WA
Chrispy Offline
Gold Subscriber
Chrispy  Offline
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member

Kitsap County, WA
Same here, I'm also 48, started just under 2 years ago. I finally felt confident enough to submit a piece to the Waltz recital. That was a big moment for me. Definitely never too late.

And, even without you posting age, your reference to Queensryche gives away we are the same vintage smile Saw them play at Day on the Green along with Metallica, Faith No More and Soundgarden. What a concert!

Anyway, glad to have you here again, I found this forum really helps me stick with it!

๐’€๐’‚๐’Ž๐’‚๐’‰๐’‚ ๐‘จ๐’—๐’‚๐’๐’• ๐‘ฎ๐’“๐’‚๐’๐’… ๐‘ต1๐‘ฟ
Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: Chrispy] #2724599
03/27/18 07:10 AM
03/27/18 07:10 AM
R
Reaper_FBB Offline
Reaper_FBB  Offline
R

Nice... I've seen all those bands as well:-) As far as Queensryche goes, I actually saw Geoff Tate earlier this year where he performed the whole of Operation: Mindcrime live since it was the 30th anniversary of the album. Absolutely amazing! He also sang a selection from "Empire" and "Promised Land" including "Someone Else" on hearing which, I suddenly realized that it would be a great song to try to Transcribe, hence where I am now:-)

Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky] #2766486
09/19/18 04:06 PM
09/19/18 04:06 PM
Claremont, CA
T
Telchar Offline
Telchar  Offline
T

Claremont, CA
Hi all, I'm 60 years old from Southern California. I'm a complete novice who is still trying to formulate a plan of attack that addresses my work schedule. I am planning on finding a teacher as I believe that structure will help keep me focused. I bought a Roland FP-90 a couple weeks ago and have been playing with it practicing scales and sight reading as well a a couple simple songs. Since my work day (including commute time) is usually around 14 hours practice has been brief during the week with longer sessions on weekends. So far progress has been rapid (at least for me), but I can already see several places where a teacher will be of great benefit (hand independence).

I work as a computer security engineer for the electrical grid. After 37 years of computer security it still holds my interest.

Looking forward to the journey!

Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky] #2766503
09/19/18 05:11 PM
09/19/18 05:11 PM
Australia
E
earlofmar Offline
3000 Post Club Member
earlofmar  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
E

Australia
nice to have you on board Techar. A teacher will be of enormous help, even if it is just someone to talk to.

Problems with piano are 90% psychological, the other 10% is in your head.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: Telchar] #2766518
09/19/18 06:56 PM
09/19/18 06:56 PM
In the Ozarks of Missouri
NobleHouse Offline
2000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Telchar
Hi all, I'm 60 years old from Southern California. I'm a complete novice who is still trying to formulate a plan of attack that addresses my work schedule. I am planning on finding a teacher as I believe that structure will help keep me focused. I bought a Roland FP-90 a couple weeks ago and have been playing with it practicing scales and sight reading as well a a couple simple songs. Since my work day (including commute time) is usually around 14 hours practice has been brief during the week with longer sessions on weekends. So far progress has been rapid (at least for me), but I can already see several places where a teacher will be of great benefit (hand independence).

I work as a computer security engineer for the electrical grid. After 37 years of computer security it still holds my interest.

Looking forward to the journey!

Welcome aboard and enjoy your journey!

[Linked Image]
Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky] #2766561
09/19/18 10:52 PM
09/19/18 10:52 PM
Upstate SC
dobro Offline
500 Post Club Member
dobro  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Upstate SC
Welcome Telchar, youโ€™ll find some great people here. Enjoy.

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently unit 4
Faber All In One -Level 2
Grateful Dead fan since 1987
Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky] #2775356
10/25/18 08:09 AM
10/25/18 08:09 AM
Finland
J
Juke Offline
Juke  Offline
J

Finland
Since I finally decided to join after being long time lurker, I might as well introduce myself.

Greetings everyone.

I'm 39 year old Finnish man. Six years ago I started learning piano simply because I needed a hobby. Ever since I have practiced almost daily, and I have made clear progress.

My interests are piano (no surprises there smile ), gym and video games. Also, out of curiosity, I'm trying to learn Japanese.

Before starting piano, I listened only metal music, but after I started this new hobby, I have learned to appreciate also classical music.

Music randomizer:
http://cmajor.fi
Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky] #2775376
10/25/18 09:10 AM
10/25/18 09:10 AM
Florida
cmb13 Offline

Silver Level
cmb13  Offline

Silver Level
2000 Post Club Member

Florida
Hey, Juke, welcome the forum! Some metal has classical roots, and some metal guitarists have classical training. Enjoy the journey.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune

Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky] #2775387
10/25/18 10:10 AM
10/25/18 10:10 AM
48-49 High Street (WI, USA)
T
TheophilusCarter Offline
TheophilusCarter  Offline
T

48-49 High Street (WI, USA)
Hi. Iโ€™ve been lurking for quite a while, and only posting a little recently, but I might as well introduce myself!

Iโ€™m relatively new to piano, but I have played various other instruments to some degree or another for most of my life. After unsuccessfully noodling on piano on and off over the years, I finally decided to get serious about it several years ago, but even then, my progress was a bit irregular. About five months ago, I really got the bug, and have been practicing two hours a day, five or six days a week, and Iโ€™m finally making some progress! Iโ€™m not following an exact syllabus, but looking at the RCM one, I have some pieces in the level 3 and 4 range, and one that Iโ€™d guess is early level 5. Iโ€™m following a standard classical kind of curriculum, though that also includes some rock / pop tunes in classical-style arrangements. Iโ€™m also dipping my feet into blues piano and hoping to test out the jazz waters someday. Right now, my goal is simply to continue to make practicing a priority, even when life tries to get in the way โ€ฆ

My other interests include, well, more music! I play bass, mostly upright, including some gigging here and there with a small jazz combo, in which my wife plays drums, so thatโ€™s cool too! Iโ€™m also, on and off, a bit of a gamer of various sorts, having been obsessed with chess at one point, and dabbling in video games, pen-and-paper role-playing games, etc. I also enjoy reading and TV, usually light stuff these days, fantasy, scifi, whathaveyou.

Iโ€™m looking forward to learning more about piano from my fellow forum dwellers. Cheers!

Decent upright bassist, aspiring decent pianist
Casio PX-160, Casio CDP-130
Roland KC-80
Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky] #2848663
05/16/19 05:59 AM
05/16/19 05:59 AM
C
chongjasmine Offline
chongjasmine  Offline
C

I come from the small country of Singapore. Just started learning keyboard not long ago.
Really enjoy learning to play.

Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky] #2848664
05/16/19 06:15 AM
05/16/19 06:15 AM
Australia
E
earlofmar Offline
3000 Post Club Member
earlofmar  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
E

Australia
welcome chongjasmine

Problems with piano are 90% psychological, the other 10% is in your head.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: chongjasmine] #2848951
05/16/19 06:31 PM
05/16/19 06:31 PM
NobleHouse Offline
2000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by chongjasmine
I come from the small country of Singapore. Just started learning keyboard not long ago.
Really enjoy learning to play.

Welcome to the Piano World family!

[Linked Image]
Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky] #2848985
05/16/19 07:51 PM
05/16/19 07:51 PM
Toronto, Canada
T
thepianoplayer416 Offline
500 Post Club Member
thepianoplayer416  Offline
500 Post Club Member
T

Toronto, Canada
In my younger days I learned the recorder in school. Later my sister introduced me to the violin. Coming form a non-musical family, everybody in the family took music lessons as a hobby but nobody was expected to become a professional musician. In my school years our class did a group presentation on great composers with 4 people in each group. Before the Internet our group went to the library and got a book on J.S. Bach. And we found a harpsichord recording of the French Suite #3 as class presentation. I liked listening to the piece but would never imagine learning it a few decades later. After watching a few cousins play piano, I've decided the instrument was too hard to learn. I'd go to the library to borrow violin sheet music to play up to the time when the Internet just became available with a phone connection.

The years that followed I got into photography as a hobby. I wasn't aiming to have a career in it. After working for a few years I got myself my first 61 keyboard and learned a few Bach pieces on my own. In the meantime got into some family issues and nearly had a nervous breakdown. I found myself getting into keyboard playing more and more and eventually upgraded to an 88 keyboard for some serious playing.

My part-time hobby outside of work is playing violin with a music group in senior homes. We are always trying new repertoire that is a bit more challenging for some of us but keeps my mind active. During the summer when the music group has a break, I'd spend my days playing my keyboard.

Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky] #2849788
05/19/19 01:23 AM
05/19/19 01:23 AM
Hawai'i Island
B
BigIslandGuy Offline
BigIslandGuy  Offline
B

Hawai'i Island
Aloha from the island of Hawai'i, AKA 'The Big Island'. I'm a 63 year old haole who has resided most of my life in the Puna district of our island, just a little south of Hilo for those familiar with the layout around here.

I started piano when I was 6. At that time, we lived just outside Calgary, Alberta. I think that living there for three years is how I picked up a permanent allergy to cold weather. wink I still remember my piano teacher there, Mrs. Thompson, who also taught my two brothers. She had, what seemed to a 6 year old, a huge, black Steinway and was very strict about proper posture and hand position. Sometimes she would hover with a ruler next to me when playing and if she caught a wrist sagging or any fingers going flat or 'flying', -pack! - down came the ruler on the offending fingers. She was terrifying to me, but on the other hand, I've never fallen into bad hand posture habits since.

When we moved to Seattle, WA in 1965, our mom found a new teacher for us who, I for one liked way more. At least she didn't scare me. My two brothers nevertheless struggled with piano, mainly because it didn't hold their interest, which led to not practicing, which of course led to no progress and frustration with the whole affair. Our mom finally got the hint when my little brother took his John Thompson books out and burned them. That was the end of piano for him. My older brother dropped it to, although not quite so dramatically. On the other hand, I had started to really enjoy the piano and I also discovered the amazing world of Bach's organ music. My love of the organ helped propel me forward in piano because of the need to be solid at the piano to play the organ well, or at least that was what I was always told and I do believe it to be true that piano competency is a good foundation for playing the organ. The organ has enough of its own complications, like pedals, that one doesn't need to be dealing with the fundamentals while trying to learn all the rest too. I ended up being lucky enough that when I was teenager, I was able to take organ lessons from the organist at St. Thomas Episcopal church in Medina, a suburb of Seattle. Since most people don't have pipe organs to practice on at home, they gave me a key to their organ and I could practice all I wanted, barring of course during services etc. That organ is an incredibly beautiful little, tracker-action instrument made by Metzler. I made good use of the time I had on that organ , learning quite a lot of Bach's major organ works. I still have the key to turn on that organ's blower and play it, which I did a few years ago when we were visiting the Seattle area.
[Linked Image]
Since then, I went on to majoring and degree in mathematics and developing software for a living, with a focus on ultra hi performance image compression software for sensor platforms etc. I have always enjoyed electronics and before moving to Hawaii I worked for Halliburton in their open-hole well logging division as a master tech, which ended up being what led me love mathematics. I came to realize that without a solid math foundation, I was never going to really understand how electronic filters worked, but then the math itself became more interesting than the electronics, so I wound up majoring in it. I still enjoy electronics and hold an extra class ham radio license (call WH6BY). Along the way, I also learned to fly and got my pilot license with an instrument rating tacked on. While I was in Florida to get my instrument rating, I met my wife on the CB radio, some 40 years ago now. We ended up in Hawaii because some old friends of the family have a little hotel here and allowed my wife and I to work there to get through college. That was back in the early 1980s.
Throughout all of this, I've always managed to have some kind of keyboard to keep from losing everything, so I never really broke off from playing, but with school the later work and all, I only could be in maintenance mode, where I played exercises and things I knew, just to stay limbered up, but no real concentration on learning new stuff.
Then I was diagnosed at 49 years old with a stage 4 cancer and everything changed. I went through the unholy trinity of chemo, surgery and radiation, which dinged the cancer, but left my body kind of a wreck. My wife decided that a little baby grand would be better therapy than the crappy piano I was playing, so she bought me a new, Story & Clark, 5' something piano. Story and Clarks aren't the greatest pianos, but not the worst either and I was immensely grateful for it, so I played it to death. Literally. Those just aren't made to handle 4 or 5 hours a day of hard practice and the hammers become hard and the action practically unusable for shading musical phrases. And that was with twice yearly servicing. But, I didn't have long to worry about that, as my cancer came back with a vengeance, this time in the left parietal lobe of my brain. My wife first noticed that I was pulling my right shoulder up when practicing and sure enough, a tumor a little smaller than a golf ball was there. This time I was left unable to play at all, because as the cancer advanced (it was very aggressive), it paralyzed my right side until I could even stand up. Long story short, two years of intense chemo (along with some very serious complications) and months of hospital time left me with no signs of cancer. When I relapsed, I was told I had about 6 months to live. That was in 2011. Just goes to show, never give up! However, as I mentioned, I couldn't play for 2 years or so, not only because of the paralysis, but chemo complications caused all my finger and toe nails to fall off, as well as the last joint of my middle, left finger to completely dissolve when sepsis set in because my port-a-cath got infected. But, finally that frozen dissolved joint quit hurting so badly, my fingernails grew back and some strength came back in my right side so I could think about playing again. But, the Story and Clark was by now decrepit. I had played the snot out of it. We had lost our tech, who retired so and pianos and tuners don't grow on trees around here, so I reverted to a little Yamaha YP-142. Not the greatest, but better better than what the Story and Clark had become. I conjunction with Pianoteq, that combo actually is quite serviceable for practice.Thankfully, my beautiful wife , who has the patience of a saint agreed to let me start looking for something to replace the Story and Clark. After 3 years I found my 'dream' piano - a highly tweaked, five year old Steinway B in Honolulu that was only used in competitions and for visiting artists, like Lang Lang who has played on it. I flew up to Honolulu to test play it and fell in love instantly. So, now it sits in my house and I'm still grinning like the Cheshire cat.

Oh, almost forgot - I've loved growing orchids since I was a teenager. It's one reason I love it here so much - I can grow them in my yard. Like this one, in bloom right now. Sadly, many beautiful yards near us were destroyed in the 2018 eruption that incinerated hundreds of homes.
[Linked Image]
Enough babbling from me. Over and out.

Last edited by BigIslandGuy; 05/19/19 01:27 AM.
Page 72 of 74 1 2 70 71 72 73 74

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Caramoor Festival - Messaien
by LXXXVIIIdentes. 07/16/19 01:07 AM
Verituner for Android
by Vlad Ants. 07/15/19 10:24 PM
Bass string recommendation for Steinway A?
by l8style. 07/15/19 05:38 PM
<7k Upright piano, advice please
by JoanneD. 07/15/19 05:16 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,026
Posts2,848,862
Members93,893
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission