2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (Chris B, Cheeeeee, Carey, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 10 invisible), 2,009 guests, and 333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
ABull Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hi James:

Sorry for the delay getting back to you. I did indeed report it to my dealer who will contact Kawai I guess (hope!). Here's the very brief snippet.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4sy6u7lnymjzbeo/BULL%20-%20KAWAI%20CS11%20Noise.mp4?dl=0

This noise went on for about 30 seconds but it took a while to find the phone and start recording by which time it went off. However, the sound didn't change - same sound as in the clip, just longer.

Cheers...Adrian

B
B
Hi Adrian

I can't help with resonance but I have an idea (unqualified) to check if the muffled sounds are inherent in the system.
I have the CA78 and if you turn off the touch curve all together (set to off) you get a very loud bright piano like a true standard upright sound in a school hall etc (feel free to disagree anyone as I am no expert).

The key point being it is loud, sharp and bright. when you go back to even touch setting light+ (the next from off position) the warmth and reduced volume from the sampling takes over and it could come across as muffled in comparison.
I know your 'muffled' experience may be different but by trying the two settings it will tell you if the system (speakers, position etc) is able to be bright as well as muffled.

hope this helps

Regards

H
H
On the CA78 i found the muffled sounds can be fixed by going to Virtual Technician and setting the voicing to "bright 1"
There is also "bright 2" which is even brighter but to me thats a bit too much.

Not sure that gonna help you for the CS11 but it does have this setting according to its manual

All other ways to make it sound brighter made it sound also more unrealistic to my ears.

A
ABull Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Much obliged both for your comments! I'm tweaking everything I can with the VT settings.

Cheers....Adrian

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ABull
Hi James:

Sorry for the delay getting back to you. I did indeed report it to my dealer who will contact Kawai I guess (hope!). Here's the very brief snippet.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4sy6u7lnymjzbeo/BULL%20-%20KAWAI%20CS11%20Noise.mp4?dl=0

This noise went on for about 30 seconds but it took a while to find the phone and start recording by which time it went off. However, the sound didn't change - same sound as in the clip, just longer.

Cheers...Adrian

Hello Adrian, thank you for posting the clip. The CS11 obviously should not produce that sound, however I'm afraid I'm not sure what might have caused it. I will forward your video to my colleagues in R&D and ask if they have any suggestions.

In the meantime, please keep me posted on any developments from your dealer and/or Kawai UK.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
A
ABull Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Will do. Thanks James.

A
ABull Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hi James. A technician came to look at the piano last week and essentially found no fault. He considered it must have been a software glitch and he re-flashed the piano with the V1.10 software. As for my feelings about the somewhat 'muffled' sound, he suggested that it was just a case of the Yamaha/Kawai difference in terms of voice. The GranTouch the Kawai replaced was a much brighter sound. Adding to this perception of a less open sound is the setup that I have for my MP-11 which doesn't help comparisons! Many thanks for your help anyway!

All the best...Adrian

Thanks for the update, Adrian, and for summarising the technician's assessment.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
D
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by ABull
Hi James. A technician came to look at the piano last week and essentially found no fault. He considered it must have been a software glitch and he re-flashed the piano with the V1.10 software. As for my feelings about the somewhat 'muffled' sound, he suggested that it was just a case of the Yamaha/Kawai difference in terms of voice. The GranTouch the Kawai replaced was a much brighter sound. Adding to this perception of a less open sound is the setup that I have for my MP-11 which doesn't help comparisons! Many thanks for your help anyway!

All the best...Adrian

Hi Adrian,

There have been many members of this forum that have experienced the transition from the Yamaha sound to Kawai sound and found it odd at first. One does get used to this difference (one doesn't notice after a while); however, there is a thread that will definitely interest you by an MP11 owner who wanted to use the sound edit functions on the Kawai to create a sound closer to their old Yamaha sound.

Abby Pianoman thread - can't get the right sound from MP11

Abby PIanoman thread - my EQ & virtual technician settings

This should help you get closer to the sound you're used to.

Kind regards,

Doug.

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
A
ABull Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Doug - many thanks! That's most appreciated!

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Doug M.

There have been many members of this forum that have experienced the transition from the Yamaha sound to Kawai sound and found it odd at first. One does get used to this difference (one doesn't notice after a while);

True. I had the same impression at first, but after few weeks sound grew on me a lot. I love it now.

Roland LX708
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Having been one of these users, the main difference to me is one that's been described here before. Kawai's sampling (or EQ presets) seem to stress deeper bass and louder treble. Yamaha has a more restrained bass, and especially quiet treble. I think these differences are so well-known that Kawai even has some preset that will ramp down the volume higher on the keybed.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission