Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
132 registered members (accordeur, AndrewJCW, amyram, Antihero, AlphaBravoCharlie, AcousticAndre, anamnesis, 33 invisible), 2,049 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
How can I improve long term memory? #2848513
05/15/19 03:45 PM
05/15/19 03:45 PM
Uk
C
Chemblue Offline OP
Chemblue  Offline OP
C

Uk
I know that my piano playing is better when playing from memory which my teacher agrees with. I have been playing piano since November 2016 aged 55. I do not do grades but used Abrsm to measure progress. My new teacher is fantastic and has taken my piano playing to the next level and currently working on Beethoven Sonata 14 1st movement. Sometimes I can play from memory and then another practice session forget. Why.

Regards

Blessings to you

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: How can I improve long term memory? [Re: Chemblue] #2848523
05/15/19 04:47 PM
05/15/19 04:47 PM
New York City
pianoloverus Online content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
pianoloverus  Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

New York City
Do you have a plan and/or different techniques you use to memorize a piece? There are a lot of PW threads on the different techniques one can use to help memorization.

Re: How can I improve long term memory? [Re: Chemblue] #2848533
05/15/19 05:08 PM
05/15/19 05:08 PM
Georgia, USA
Sam S Offline

3000 Post Club Member
Sam S  Offline

3000 Post Club Member

Georgia, USA
Seems that we have discussed this a lot recently - if my memory is not failing! Different techniques work for different people, so you will need to find what works for you.

- Repetition
- Drilling
- Analysis of form
- Analysis of harmony
- Memorize what the page looks like (Ack! Doesn't work for me...)
- Memorize how it sounds
- Give names to sections that help you remember what happens there ("Low Bb", "c minor arp"), and even say the names out loud at the right time.
- My go-to technique - do whatever it takes to memorize a short section, and never look at the score again for that section - OK, I exaggerate, but divorce yourself from reliance on the score early in the process.

Sam

Re: How can I improve long term memory? [Re: Sam S] #2848538
05/15/19 05:17 PM
05/15/19 05:17 PM
Uk
C
Chemblue Offline OP
Chemblue  Offline OP
C

Uk
Thank you for your responses. The problem I have is that I seem to be able to play from memory for a number of weeks then suddenly struggle to remember. I am going through a difficult emotional time caring for my dying mother. Would this effect memory or is that just an excuse.

Look forward to receiving any advice

Re: How can I improve long term memory? [Re: Chemblue] #2848542
05/15/19 05:26 PM
05/15/19 05:26 PM
Australia
E
earlofmar Offline
3000 Post Club Member
earlofmar  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
E

Australia
I can only speak about my own memory as I am no expert on the subject. When I first started piano six years ago I deliberately memorised everything. In those days I could memorise a piece within weeks and as they got harder within several months. The problem for me was the pieces were never secure and when I memorised I watched my hands and and then became dependent on watching my hands to play. I would also stop using the score once I had the piece committed to memory and found I was missing vital information, sometimes even notes. I had to learn to play and read the score simultaneously which I found very hard, harder actually because using this method seemed to switch off my ability (which I thought had been good) to memorise.

So coming to present day I still read from the score right from the start, and employ no deliberate memorisation. I wait for the piece to become embedded in my memory which for the grade five and now grade six pieces I have been studying seems to take over a year (bearing in mind a lot of my attention is not to memorise but to learn the new techniques). But the difference is I am not relying only on muscle memory as I would have in the early days but a mix of muscle, cerebral (having studied the pieces), visual and tactile memory. All of this makes the piece more secure and was highlighted yet again by my recent experience. I just returned from a two month holiday to Europe where I played next to no piano. When I went to play my pieces again I had some trouble at first but with slow run throughs (aided of course with the score) all the pieces were still there and within days were back to where I had left off. This would not have been the case in the early days when if I didn't play a piece for a month I had lost it all together.

Following Trying to follow the Ling Ling 40 hour method

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: How can I improve long term memory? [Re: Chemblue] #2848583
05/15/19 08:53 PM
05/15/19 08:53 PM
*sigh* Salt Lake City
malkin Offline
5000 Post Club Member
malkin  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

*sigh* Salt Lake City
My experience is that high levels of stress affect just about everything, so I'm not surprised to hear that memory may be decreased during a time of high stress.

Learner
Re: How can I improve long term memory? [Re: Chemblue] #2848586
05/15/19 09:08 PM
05/15/19 09:08 PM
India
N
noobpianist90 Offline
500 Post Club Member
noobpianist90  Offline
500 Post Club Member
N

India
I have found that re-learning a piece does wonders for memory re-inforcement.

Lets say I finish learning a piece, then I stop playing it until it completely fades from memory. This takes time, sometimes over a year. Then I learn it again from scratch again. The second time, I learn the piece at a much faster rate, and the piece is also memorised a lot more firmly than the first. I am trying this out on 3 or 4 pieces. It's working out quite well so far. The more times I repeat this process, the stronger the memory gets. The hardest part about this for me is to resist the impulse to keep playing a piece that I really like.

Re: How can I improve long term memory? [Re: Chemblue] #2848594
05/15/19 09:49 PM
05/15/19 09:49 PM
Not Banned
N
newer player Offline
1000 Post Club Member
newer player  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
N

Not Banned
Science has a long way to go before we have even a basic grasp of memory IMHO. Regardless, since I spend a lot of time memorising information, I looked near-and-far for helpful tools.

From a practical perspective, I found Piotr Wozniak has some helpful articles, particularly around learning strategies, repetition, sleep, exercise, diet. Pitor has been optimising a spaced-repetition system for three decades; his software is probably more useful for learning vocabulary or studying for a medical exam. But his articles are interesting and worth a quick review:

super-memory.com/index.htm

Re: How can I improve long term memory? [Re: Chemblue] #2848599
05/15/19 10:45 PM
05/15/19 10:45 PM
Finland
O
outo Offline
4000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O

Finland
Originally Posted by Chemblue
Thank you for your responses. The problem I have is that I seem to be able to play from memory for a number of weeks then suddenly struggle to remember. I am going through a difficult emotional time caring for my dying mother. Would this effect memory or is that just an excuse.

Look forward to receiving any advice

This happens to me too. The more routine something becomes the harder it becomes for me to really concentrate and that is the main cause of my memory failures. The only way to battle this is to take a break, let myself forget partly and relearn several times. It is a very time consuming process (months or even years) and I will never get to 100% because I am built that way. I also fail to remember my daily routines and familiar things occasionally, it's not just piano playing. But I have managed to reach a state where I can quickly get the piece back without digging out the score and recover from the occasional memory problems fast enough to continue playing. Only for one short piece so far because as I said it is a long and time consuming process...but it is a start smile

Re: How can I improve long term memory? [Re: Chemblue] #2848603
05/15/19 11:03 PM
05/15/19 11:03 PM
Sweden
Animisha Offline
500 Post Club Member
Animisha  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Sweden
Originally Posted by Sam S
Different techniques work for different people, so you will need to find what works for you.

Yes, but also: try to use more than one technique. The more connections you create with the notes that you need to remember, the easier it is to retrieve the memory.

Originally Posted by Chemblue
I am going through a difficult emotional time caring for my dying mother. Would this effect memory or is that just an excuse.

I am very sorry to read this, it must be very sad. Yes, this can effect memory and many other things as well. Be kind to yourself!

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
Re: How can I improve long term memory? [Re: Chemblue] #2848659
05/16/19 04:43 AM
05/16/19 04:43 AM
Uk
C
Chemblue Offline OP
Chemblue  Offline OP
C

Uk
Thank you for all your kind responses. Blessings to you all

Re: How can I improve long term memory? [Re: Chemblue] #2848692
05/16/19 07:36 AM
05/16/19 07:36 AM
Pennsylvania
D
dmd Offline
4000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
D

Pennsylvania
I do not play much classical music anymore.

I have chosen the jazz route instead.

However, I do play some classical pieces (beginner) from time to time and one thing I have taken from the jazz genre is CHORDS and CHORD PROGRESSIONS.

When you know the chord progression (or chord) you are playing it makes it much easier to remember notes because they are frequently the notes in that chord.

So …. the first thing I do when playing a classical piece is to go through and write in the chords.

Then, as I play I am thinking chords and the note or notes I need along the way are probably within that chord.

Very helpful.

Don

Kawai MP11SE, Edifier R1850DB Active Bookshelf Speakers, Yamaha HS8S Powered Subwoofer, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq and numerous other VSTs

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Art Case Pianos?
by malkin. 11/17/19 04:13 PM
Replacement Sustain Pedal for Kawai L1
by Sherman197111. 11/17/19 03:59 PM
Accessible Great Piano Music
by Keith D Kerman. 11/17/19 02:30 PM
Fingers and thumb movements for playing scales.
by Junkers 88. 11/17/19 01:27 PM
Horowitzian playing style
by KevinM. 11/17/19 11:42 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,152
Posts2,892,023
Members94,991
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission