Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
91 registered members (Abdol, alexPixel, Bill McKaig,RPT, Antihero, Anglagard44, AlphaBravoCharlie, Animisha, Ankee, barbaram, 18 invisible), 1,419 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 43 of 98 1 2 41 42 43 44 45 97 98
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: CyberGene] #2848272
05/15/19 12:39 AM
05/15/19 12:39 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
Tyrone Slothrop  Offline

7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by johnstaf
Congratulations Tyrone! That's fantastic news. It's a fantastic piano. You'll love it!

Thanks!

Originally Posted by CyberGene
Congrats, Tyrone, feel very happy for you, welcome to the club smile

Haha. Thanks!

I knew it wink

You might have known but until I tried the NV10 side-by-side with the N1X (or almost side-by-side - different piano stores separated by about 40 mins), I was 50:50 split between N1X and NV10, and if anything leaning just slightly toward NV10 because of the real damper pedal. But when I tried it and compared it to the N1X pedal, I honestly felt the N1X pedal was so much easier for me to control. That real damper action was erased by the greater difficulty it was to control the damper, and that I seemed to be able to half-pedal on the NV10 at only one single exact point. I'm definitely not that precise.

Lastly but probably most importantly, the Bonner's Music comparison of the sound made me think the NV10 sounded clearly better to me. About 4 notes were even oversaturated on the N1X. But as you pointed out in your Youtube comment to that video, the N1X introduced the binaural headphone mode. So today, when I brought my headphones to both stores, there was no doubt to me that with headphones, the N1X sounded so much better to my ears than the NV10 did. Binaural headphone mode made a huge difference, and I think Kawai needs to play catch up on that feature.

In the end, after personally trying, it was an easy decision for me that I was able to make without even considering price. For me, the differences were that significant.

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
(ad) SWEETWATER Lowest Prices
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2848275
05/15/19 01:40 AM
05/15/19 01:40 AM
The Sierras
D
David B Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
David B  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
D

The Sierras
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Amy C's post and David B's most recent post probably pushed me over the top since the sound was so good even from a potato smile (in the case of Amy C's phone) and David B's two mics.

cool

So today, when I brought my headphones to both stores, there was no doubt to me that with headphones, the N1X sounded so much better to my ears than the NV10 did. Binaural headphone mode made a huge difference, and I think Kawai needs to play catch up on that feature.

In the end, after personally trying, it was an easy decision for me that I was able to make without even considering price. For me, the differences were that significant.

Binaural is the bomb!!!

I'd love to try it with your 800's.

Congrats on the purchase.

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Mac mini 2018/Focusrite Scarlett 2i4/KRK Rokit 6 G3 Studio Monitors
Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course; Lessons 1-41 Completed
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: David B] #2848281
05/15/19 02:08 AM
05/15/19 02:08 AM
Moscow, Russia
I
Iaroslav Vasiliev Online content
1000 Post Club Member
Iaroslav Vasiliev  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
I

Moscow, Russia
Wonderful news, Tyrone! My congratulations!

I'm yet to play N1X and your description of it has blown my appetite. smile

Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: David B] #2848290
05/15/19 03:19 AM
05/15/19 03:19 AM
Sheffield, UK
K
KevinM Online content
500 Post Club Member
KevinM  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
K

Sheffield, UK
Congrats Tyone. Great news for you. I wish lots of enjoyment with your new piano.

Mendelssohn Song without Words Op19,2 and 19,6, Jensen Sehnsucht Op8,5. Chopin Nocturne C# Minor. Schumann Hasche Mann from Kinderszenen Op15,3. https://soundcloud.com/sheffieldkevin
DP: Kawai MP11SE. HP: Superlux HD681 EVO
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: David B] #2848295
05/15/19 03:37 AM
05/15/19 03:37 AM
Sofia, Bulgaria
CyberGene Online content
4000 Post Club Member
CyberGene  Online Content
4000 Post Club Member

Sofia, Bulgaria
Tyrone, with your formidable memory you seem to be the best one to maintain our N1X adoption statistics smile

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: CyberGene] #2848381
05/15/19 05:25 AM
05/15/19 05:25 AM
Dublin
johnstaf Online crying
2000 Post Club Member
johnstaf  Online Crying
2000 Post Club Member

Dublin
Tyrone, with your formidable memory you seem to be the best one to maintain our N1X adoption statistics smile

We have our very own piano Google!

Congratulations again Tyrone. How utterly wonderful!

Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: David B] #2848386
05/15/19 05:42 AM
05/15/19 05:42 AM
Denmark
QuasiUnaFantasia Offline
QuasiUnaFantasia  Offline

Denmark
Also congratulations from me for reaching a decision Tyrone! Now it will be interesting how well Pianoteq fares. My guess is that it will get very little usage from now on. Probably just a few times to remind yourself, how much better the N1X sounds. smile

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28, Pianoteq 6.5 (Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2), Garritan CFX Lite
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: David B] #2848427
05/15/19 09:12 AM
05/15/19 09:12 AM
Long Beach, CA
TomLC Offline
Gold Subscriber
TomLC  Offline
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member

Long Beach, CA
Happy you are happy, Tyrone. Looking forward to seeing a pic of the new setup.

[Linked Image]

Novice with a Novus.....?
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: TomLC] #2848437
05/15/19 10:12 AM
05/15/19 10:12 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
Tyrone Slothrop  Offline

7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by David B
Binaural is the bomb!!!

I was really shocked it made such a difference. I did check out CyberGene's binaural recordings and they seemed nice, but when I was at the piano with headphones, it blew me away.

I think we should have a thread with N1X owners though to share settings. I'm with Amy C on not liking the default brilliance, but a little reverb is not bad. Interested in what other people are using on their N1X so I can try those settings out on myself too.

I'd love to try it with your 800's.

Due to G.A.S., I was thinking of actually upgrading to HD800S's, but I was so impressed with how the N1X sounds with the HD800's, I think I'm going to table that.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Iaroslav Vasiliev
Wonderful news, Tyrone! My congratulations!

I'm yet to play N1X and your description of it has blown my appetite. smile

And you probably shouldn't unless you are ready for it to make a 650,000 RR hole in your pocket! laugh

LOL. Euler1707, CyberGene, pianokat123, J5on, Amy C, Bro', jgbs, Tyrone Slothrop, David B, Chrispy, Tyrone Slothrop. Who did I leave off?

Congratulations again Tyrone. How utterly wonderful!

Now I just have to just get it in time to furiously practice Twinkle Twinkle before the piano party so I'm not embarrassed!

Originally Posted by QuasiUnaFantasia
Also congratulations from me for reaching a decision Tyrone! Now it will be interesting how well Pianoteq fares. My guess is that it will get very little usage from now on. Probably just a few times to remind yourself, how much better the N1X sounds. smile

Thanks. I'm feeling quite nostalgic about Pianoteq. I had been thinking of upgrading my piano PC to be able to run Pianoteq with a silly number of voices but that also is at least temporarily tabled as I check out if the N1X fully satisfies me as I think it might. I also suspect I may have just swung unexpectedly toward sampled pianos. LOL.

With regard to VSTs, I will go ahead and buy either Garritan CFX full or VSL Synchron Concert D though. Need to try those out. But probably not immediately. N1X by itself seems like it will be satisfactory for me.

Originally Posted by TomLC

Well that's not going to happen that soon since I'm engaging an interior designer to make my space livable with the new piano since it definitely won't fit in the currently allocated location. About 4-6 weeks, will put up my pics though - maybe after Bulgaria though wink

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2848446
05/15/19 10:26 AM
05/15/19 10:26 AM
The Sierras
D
David B Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
David B  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
D

The Sierras

Well that's not going to happen that soon since I'm engaging an interior designer to make my space livable with the new piano since it definitely won't fit in the currently allocated location. About 4-6 weeks, will put up my pics though - maybe after Bulgaria though wink

You can always do before and after pics. The before pic would satisfy our visual lust to see your new N1X immediately, while the after pic would provide a nice contrast displaying the new home you made for the N1X.

Just a thought. wink

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: David B] #2848449
05/15/19 10:31 AM
05/15/19 10:31 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
Tyrone Slothrop  Offline

7000 Post Club Member

You can always do before and after pics. The before pic would satisfy our visual lust to see your new N1X immediately, while the after pic would provide a nice contrast displaying the new home you made for the N1X.

Good idea. I think I will do that then!

Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: David B] #2848491
05/15/19 01:59 PM
05/15/19 01:59 PM
P
Peddler100 Online content

Peddler100  Online Content

P

Congrats on your decision Tyrone!

Ok, who had the 3rd week in May in the pool? smile

Yamaha NU1X, Sennheiser HD 599 headphones, dabling with PianoTeq
Formerly known as oneilt130
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: David B] #2848509
05/15/19 03:32 PM
05/15/19 03:32 PM
Sofia, Bulgaria
CyberGene Online content
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Sofia, Bulgaria
Prtcy64 just joined the club according to the prices thread smile

Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: David B] #2848541
05/15/19 05:24 PM
05/15/19 05:24 PM
P
percy64 Offline
percy64  Offline
P

Should turn up tomorrow but I won't have much time until the weekend

Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: percy64] #2848551
05/15/19 06:05 PM
05/15/19 06:05 PM
The Sierras
D
David B Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
David B  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
D

The Sierras
Originally Posted by percy64

Unless you're not home, I predict you'll miss a meal or some sleep to find a little time.

I was very intemperate the first night I had my N1X (and the second and third night). grin

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: newer player] #2848553
05/15/19 06:18 PM
05/15/19 06:18 PM
Sofia, Bulgaria
CyberGene Online content
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Sofia, Bulgaria
Originally Posted by newer player
@CyberGene - Now that you have settled in with the N1X, it would be interesting for you to connect Garritan CFX for an evening and hear your quick opinion comparing N1X on playability, sound, general enjoyment, and whatever else you note.

I received a mail from Philippe from Pianoteq earlier today informing me there’s a new version of Pianoteq that I might like. And you asked me to test Garritan CFX so I decided to briefly test both with the N1X.

First Pianoteq, it’s definitely an improvement from what I remember. I think I like the Bechstein DG the most. But I still hear some nasal character in the muddle. I’ll have to test more though, don’t want to bash on Pianoteq without more thorough testing.

Garritan CFX. Hmm, first impression after the long break is it’s so sibilant. I just can’t believe I’ve managed to tolerate this noisy hiss and sibilance before (but I used HD650 before and now it is the HD595 that are bright so the certainly make things worse). Second impression is the lush reverberation I used to like is just too much and smearing things. Needs getting used to and I think I prefer less reverb now. Otherwise a nice timbre and a playable piano. But that noise frown Switched to the N1X binaural and it’s so clean and nice. It’s the best of the three pianos. I don’t see myself returning to VST-s soon.

Last edited by CyberGene; 05/15/19 06:20 PM.

Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: David B] #2848559
05/15/19 06:50 PM
05/15/19 06:50 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
Tyrone Slothrop  Offline

7000 Post Club Member

LOL. Euler1707, CyberGene, pianokat123, J5on, Amy C, Bro', jgbs, Tyrone Slothrop, David B, Chrispy, Tyrone Slothrop. Who did I leave off?
Prtcy64 just joined the club according to the prices thread smile

I counted myself twice (obviously I was so excited, I thought I had two new pianos and not just one). No matter, the club rolls needs an update already: Euler1707, CyberGene, pianokat123, J5on, Amy C, Bro', jgbs, Tyrone Slothrop, David B, Chrispy, percy64

Congrats percy64! I'm impressed you just bought it and are already getting it delivered, while mine is going to take another week to bring it all of 20 miles. Haha.

Unless you're not home, I predict you'll miss a meal or some sleep to find a little time.

I was very intemperate the first night I had my N1X (and the second and third night). grin

Oh my. In my case, I already hardly sleep as it is. I'll probably need to impose some rules on myself smile

Garritan CFX. Hmm, first impression after the long break is it’s so sibilant. I just can’t believe I’ve managed to tolerate this noisy hiss and sibilance before (but I used HD650 before and now it is the HD595 that are bright so the certainly make things worse). Second impression is the lush reverberation I used to like is just too much and smearing things. Needs getting used to and I think I prefer less reverb now. Otherwise a nice timbre and a playable piano. But that noise frown Switched to the N1X binaural and it’s so clean and nice. It’s the best of the three pianos. I don’t see myself returning to VST-s soon.

This is one of the things I really liked about the N1X without thinking of a word for it: sibilance. Thank you for that word. I played on the N1X yesterday before I went to the other store to play on the NV10, and that was exactly the character I noticed. The contrast was almost jarring. The N1X sounded so clean with headphones. Admittedly though, I was simply not used half the time to the pedal 'whooshing' of the NV10 (although I finally figured out how to turn that off), but even with stuff like that off, the N1X sounded more clean "out of the box". The only thing I had to do in the store was to turn down brilliance, and then it was perfect for me.

Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: David B] #2848560
05/15/19 06:53 PM
05/15/19 06:53 PM
P
Pete14 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Pete14  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P

CyberGene, did you play the VSTs through the on-board speakers as well? If so, how did they sound? Do you believe the multi-channel system works well with stereo inputs, etc..?

Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: David B] #2848568
05/15/19 07:35 PM
05/15/19 07:35 PM
Virginia
HwyStar Offline
500 Post Club Member
HwyStar  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Virginia
I know that using piano weights to measure the down weight of middle "C" is not the perfect way to test a DP, for down-weight (inertia), but would any of you have a set to measure middle-C with? Fazioli 52, 54, 56, 58, 60, ouch 62, OMG 64, use your elbows 66...

I understand the differences between AP's and DP's but since the hybrids are using actual keybeds it is a little bit more accurate than DP keyboards. I am betting the N1X is probably at 60 grams. I do not remember what the NV10's came in at.

Remember how Hugh made the comment about the workout? I have my concerns since I do have some arthritis in both my hands. Too many broken guitars on stage. smile

Nord Grand, Kawai MP11 (v1), iMac 2017, Yamaha HS8's, Sennheiser 650, Focusrite 2i4, Pianoteq 6.4.0, Steinway Model A, Mason and Hamlin Model AA, Piano Marvel: 3C
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2848570
05/15/19 07:49 PM
05/15/19 07:49 PM
The Sierras
D
David B Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
David B  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
D

The Sierras

This is one of the things I really liked about the N1X without thinking of a word for it: sibilance. Thank you for that word.

That is a good word. The meaning is clear from the context, but I still looked it up. Thanks, CyberGene. You've added to my vocab. thumb

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Page 43 of 98 1 2 41 42 43 44 45 97 98

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Best recorder?
by WandaWanda. 11/20/19 07:10 AM
Spaced repetition vs 1 piece after another?
by CianistAndPomposer. 11/20/19 05:44 AM
Bach Rewrite
by Purrblast. 11/20/19 03:17 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,200
Posts2,892,910
Members95,017
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission