Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
122 registered members (ando, 36251, Andymania, anotherscott, AndrewJCW, AlphaBravoCharlie, Ankee, Antihero, 24 invisible), 1,602 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Is ABRSM Grade 8 in a year and a half an achievable goal? #2847820
05/13/19 04:00 PM
05/13/19 04:00 PM
UK
D
Donn Offline OP
Donn  Offline OP
D

UK
In order to enter a course in roughly two years time I need to achieve Grade 8.

My mother is a piano teacher so I've been playing quite casually all my life but I've only recently began to start focusing heavily on piano. In terms of performance, I can learn pieces around grade six within a few weeks and it takes me around a month to learn most pieces above that however I'm incredibly new to all other aspects of the exam and theory in general. I'm confident in my technical ability and I'm prepared to put a lot of time into this but I'd like to get any opinions on how achievable this is or what I should focus on.

It's not the end of the world if not.

Last edited by Donn; 05/13/19 04:02 PM.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Is ABRSM Grade 8 in a year and a half an achievable goal? [Re: Donn] #2847822
05/13/19 04:07 PM
05/13/19 04:07 PM
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Chris Offline
Cheshire Chris  Offline

Cheshire, UK
If your mother is a piano teacher, she presumably prepares students for the grade 8 exam and is by far the best person to advise you. She knows your abilities far better than we do. What’s her opinion?

Chris

Yamaha P-515, Yamaha Reface CP.
Re: Is ABRSM Grade 8 in a year and a half an achievable goal? [Re: Donn] #2847831
05/13/19 04:21 PM
05/13/19 04:21 PM
Florida
cmb13 Online content

Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member

Florida
Good point. If you’re a solid 6, you could probably get through 8 in a year with a lot of work and practice. Make sure it’s focused and efficient practice.

Funny, when I saw the thread title, I thought it was someone starting from scratch trying to complete grade eight in one year. I thought, oh great, here we go again!

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune
Bach Inventions
Grieg Sonata - Andante molto

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Re: Is ABRSM Grade 8 in a year and a half an achievable goal? [Re: Donn] #2847833
05/13/19 04:29 PM
05/13/19 04:29 PM
Greater Chicago Metro Area
E
EPW Offline
500 Post Club Member
EPW  Offline
500 Post Club Member
E

Greater Chicago Metro Area
Or your mom should be able to advise on another teacher friend she knows to evaluate you.
I think you would have a chance if you are at a solid 6. But you might be at a disadvantage compared to other students that are a solid 8-9 level taking the course.

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
Re: Is ABRSM Grade 8 in a year and a half an achievable goal? [Re: Donn] #2847892
05/13/19 07:45 PM
05/13/19 07:45 PM
Victoria, BC
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
BruceD  Offline
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Victoria, BC
Originally Posted by Donn

My mother is a piano teacher so I've been playing quite casually all my life but I've only recently began to start focusing heavily on piano. In terms of performance, I can learn pieces around grade six within a few weeks and it takes me around a month to learn most pieces above that however I'm incredibly new to all other aspects of the exam and theory in general. I'm confident in my technical ability and I'm prepared to put a lot of time into this but I'd like to get any opinions on how achievable this is or what I should focus on.

It's not the end of the world if not.

There are some points here to which the answer might be: "It depends."

You write that you can learn grade six pieces within a few weeks, but the question is: "How well do you learn them?" Are they up to performance level. Would they be up to examination level and performed more or less flawlessly?

What other piano exams have you sat for? What is your experience performing under the stress of an examination? Unlike RCM (Toronto) ABRSM Grade 8 does not require that pieces be memorized nor are extra points given for memorization.

Putting a lot of time into all aspects of the examination may be enough but examination pieces should really be ready a couple of months before the examination so that you have time to live with them and really make them your own. All that said, Grade 8 ABRSM is not an examination that seems to have extremely high performance standards, and while the pieces are not technically that demanding they do represent a considerable step up from those required for the Grade 6 examination.

Make sure that you achieve at least the minimum tempo requirements for the technical tests (Scales and arpeggios).

How are your sight-reading skills? The requirements for Grade 8 don't seem to be that daunting.

So, all told; it depends, and what does Mom say?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: Is ABRSM Grade 8 in a year and a half an achievable goal? [Re: Donn] #2847966
05/14/19 02:48 AM
05/14/19 02:48 AM
W
Whizbang Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Whizbang  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
W

Originally Posted by Donn

Can you elaborate on the course and why you are interested in it?

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
Re: Is ABRSM Grade 8 in a year and a half an achievable goal? [Re: Donn] #2848010
05/14/19 08:16 AM
05/14/19 08:16 AM
Boynton Beach, FL
Morodiene Offline
Morodiene  Offline

Boynton Beach, FL
Are you currently taking lessons? If not, you need to start now. By your own assessment you are confident in your technical abilities and you can learn Gr 6 pieces in a few weeks. But a teacher may have a different opinion. Do not try to do this without a teacher, and it may be best to study with someone other than Mom - many colleagues of mine have fellow teachers teach their children because having the parent in a supporting role is best for many kids.

Also, as the child of a teacher, it may be easy to set aside your lessons when things are busy for her paying students. It happens and I'm not judging, but if you are paying someone else, you will remain a priority.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Is ABRSM Grade 8 in a year and a half an achievable goal? [Re: Donn] #2848011
05/14/19 08:25 AM
05/14/19 08:25 AM
London
F
fatar760 Offline
fatar760  Offline
F

London
Personally, I'd gauge how ready you are based on whether you can comfortably sight-reading at that level and how well you can perform the scale/technical studies aspect of the exam.

It sounds like quite a work load and you'd have to be very careful that the sudden increase in the amount your playing, along with the new technical demands of the pieces, don't lead you to developing an injury from over-use.

Re: Is ABRSM Grade 8 in a year and a half an achievable goal? [Re: Donn] #2848072
05/14/19 12:28 PM
05/14/19 12:28 PM
London
C
chopin_r_us Online content
2000 Post Club Member
chopin_r_us  Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
C

London
If you haven't got grade 5 theory then go for Trinity. Don't see a problem otherwise.

Re: Is ABRSM Grade 8 in a year and a half an achievable goal? [Re: Donn] #2848074
05/14/19 12:34 PM
05/14/19 12:34 PM
J
joe80 Online content
3000 Post Club Member
joe80  Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
J

Grade 8 ABRSM is not all that difficult, and yet people do struggle with it. The actual performance level is not that high in terms of the pieces, but you have to be secure in all of your scale work, arpeggios, and that takes a bit of time to learn if you're not used to doing it all the time. I know some may say scales are just the same pattern over and over, and to an extent that's true, but you'll be amazed at how easy it is to mess them up.

You also have to have solid aural, and a good theoretical knowledge. You'll want to know something about the pieces you're playing as well, it all helps.

So, can you do it in 2 years? Yes probably. The thing is you don't have to be that good to get a distinction at Grade 8 so it's not really a seal of quality, but you will have to work pretty hard just to get all the work done for it.

Of course it depends on what else you're doing in your life, how busy is your timetable? You'll need a good two hours per day to practise for this, and the practice will have to be of fairly consistent and good quality.

Re: Is ABRSM Grade 8 in a year and a half an achievable goal? [Re: Donn] #2848251
05/15/19 12:27 AM
05/15/19 12:27 AM
Romania
M
Mosotti Offline
Mosotti  Offline
M

Romania
I don’t think it’s possible unless you get lucky.

Re: Is ABRSM Grade 8 in a year and a half an achievable goal? [Re: Donn] #2848276
05/15/19 02:41 AM
05/15/19 02:41 AM
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Chris Offline
Cheshire Chris  Offline

Cheshire, UK
Why do you say that? If the OP is comfortable with grade 6 pieces, going to grade 8 in two years seems very achievable to me. An advancement of one grade a year is pretty average.

Chris

Yamaha P-515, Yamaha Reface CP.
Re: Is ABRSM Grade 8 in a year and a half an achievable goal? [Re: Donn] #2848392
05/15/19 07:27 AM
05/15/19 07:27 AM
Worcester. Uk
W
Wayne2467 Offline
Wayne2467  Offline
W

Worcester. Uk
it’s only three pieces per grade isn’t it. So sounds achievable to me from what the OP has posted about themself

Re: Is ABRSM Grade 8 in a year and a half an achievable goal? [Re: Donn] #2848397
05/15/19 08:06 AM
05/15/19 08:06 AM
Romania
M
Mosotti Offline
Mosotti  Offline
M

Romania
Well, let's wish him luck and wait for an update smile

Re: Is ABRSM Grade 8 in a year and a half an achievable goal? [Re: joe80] #2848420
05/15/19 09:55 AM
05/15/19 09:55 AM
Texas
Dr. Rogers Offline
Dr. Rogers  Offline

Texas
Originally Posted by joe80
Grade 8 ABRSM is not all that difficult, and yet people do struggle with it. The actual performance level is not that high in terms of the pieces...

This comment really piqued my interest. I won't disagree, as I could see Grade 8 pieces being considered relatively easy from a certain point of view.

But it makes me wonder: what sort of repertoire are you playing? If you're playing Gaspard three times every morning before breakfast, then Grade 8 is peanuts, but for most amateur pianists Grade 8 is fairly ambitious.

The thing is you don't have to be that good to get a distinction at Grade 8 ...

I sincerely hope that's the case! I'm sitting Grade 8 on the 24th of this month, a little more than a week.

You'll need a good two hours per day to practise for this, and the practice will have to be of fairly consistent and good quality.

100% agree. I'm putting in about two hours a day, much to the chagrin of my long-suffering family.

Austin Rogers, PhD
Music Teacher in Austin, TX
Baldwin SD-10 Concert Grand "Kuroneko", Baldwin Upright, Yamaha P-255
Re: Is ABRSM Grade 8 in a year and a half an achievable goal? [Re: joe80] #2848422
05/15/19 10:05 AM
05/15/19 10:05 AM
UK
S
ShyPianist Offline
500 Post Club Member
ShyPianist  Offline
500 Post Club Member
S

UK
Originally Posted by joe80
Grade 8 ABRSM is not all that difficult, and yet people do struggle with it. The actual performance level is not that high in terms of the pieces, but you have to be secure in all of your scale work, arpeggios, and that takes a bit of time to learn if you're not used to doing it all the time. I know some may say scales are just the same pattern over and over, and to an extent that's true, but you'll be amazed at how easy it is to mess them up.

You also have to have solid aural, and a good theoretical knowledge. You'll want to know something about the pieces you're playing as well, it all helps.

So, can you do it in 2 years? Yes probably. The thing is you don't have to be that good to get a distinction at Grade 8 so it's not really a seal of quality, but you will have to work pretty hard just to get all the work done for it.

Of course it depends on what else you're doing in your life, how busy is your timetable? You'll need a good two hours per day to practise for this, and the practice will have to be of fairly consistent and good quality.

I think this is a case of it's easy when you know how and you've done it. If you're a concert pianist then Grade 8 is obviously "not that difficult". If you're just starting with Grade 8 standard pieces then it's pretty difficult. Same as A level maths is "not that difficult" for a university maths professor. As for a distinction at Grade 8 not really being a seal of quality, well why does anyone bother working for anything in that case?

OP, it sounds eminently doable to me, but you will know much better when you start tackling some of the Grade 8 repertoire. Good luck :-)

Pianist, independent music arranger, violinist, mother
Re: Is ABRSM Grade 8 in a year and a half an achievable goal? [Re: Donn] #2848460
05/15/19 12:08 PM
05/15/19 12:08 PM
Romania
M
Mosotti Offline
Mosotti  Offline
M

Romania
Just wondering, since you say it’s not a big deal, has anyone here got or knows someone who got level 8 with distinction in 2 years? And I not even talking about complete beginner, let’s say from grade 5. He also needs grade 5 in music theory to take grade 8 directly.

Re: Is ABRSM Grade 8 in a year and a half an achievable goal? [Re: Mosotti] #2848461
05/15/19 12:27 PM
05/15/19 12:27 PM
UK
S
ShyPianist Offline
500 Post Club Member
ShyPianist  Offline
500 Post Club Member
S

UK
Originally Posted by Mosotti
Just wondering, since you say it’s not a big deal, has anyone here got or knows someone who got level 8 with distinction in 2 years? And I not even talking about complete beginner, let’s say from grade 5. He also needs grade 5 in music theory to take grade 8 directly.

Well I for one was countering the idea that it's not a big deal, but suggested that if he is playing Grade 6 standard pieces now then Grade 8 within two years sounds very doable. However you make a good point about theory. Still Grade 5 theory is not exactly rocket science so assuming the OP reads music fine then I also think that's doable. Hard work, but doable.

Pianist, independent music arranger, violinist, mother
Re: Is ABRSM Grade 8 in a year and a half an achievable goal? [Re: Mosotti] #2848490
05/15/19 02:58 PM
05/15/19 02:58 PM
M
Michael P Walsh Offline
Michael P Walsh  Offline
M

Originally Posted by Mosotti

I think one of the pianists who used to post on here got to grade 8 in frighteningly quick time. Never say never, there's always someone in the world achieving things that are hard to believe. As for grade 5 to grade 8, I expect that's hardly unheard of. Not saying it's easy or even common, not at all.

Re: Is ABRSM Grade 8 in a year and a half an achievable goal? [Re: Donn] #2848503
05/15/19 03:41 PM
05/15/19 03:41 PM
UK
D
Donn Offline OP
Donn  Offline OP
D

UK
Thanks for all the insightful responses.

To answer a few questions, I am currently taking lessons fairly regularly and the fact that I have access to a piano almost all of the time means that I'm quite easily getting over two hours of practise each day.

In terms of my ability, I'm familiar with performing music for a crowd (though mostly in a band) and I've taken a couple flute exams before so I'd say I'm familiar with the general layout and pressure of the exam. My main issue is my sight reading and sight singing which both still feel very raw.

How long it takes for my pieces to get up to performance standards varies but I'd say a month is probably a fair assessment. Though, I've got into the habit of learning new pieces while working on those I've learnt - unsure of whether that's a good idea but my teacher hasn't said anything yet.

As for what my mum says, she thinks it's definitely achievable. She thinks my piece playing skill is a lot higher than the rest and she's confident that I could pass the Grade 5 theory without too much trouble. My scales and aural she thinks aren't bad considering I've never approached them before, she's mainly worried about the amount of content I have to catch up on.

Thanks again.

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The action of my NU1X is driving my wife crazy
by iLogic. 10/18/19 08:56 AM
Free soundeditor?
by KlinkKlonk. 10/18/19 08:51 AM
Casio digital piano vs Acoustic piano
by magicpiano. 10/18/19 06:57 AM
Medeli dp680 keys issue
by Rotem. 10/18/19 01:16 AM
Medeli dp680 keys issue
by Rotem. 10/17/19 11:47 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,582
Posts2,880,448
Members94,702
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission