Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
105 registered members (Antihero, Barly, atamgp, Andymania, accordeur, ando, 36251, Arty Movie, Anthill, 27 invisible), 1,581 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 41 of 91 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 90 91
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: David B] #2847612
05/12/19 07:31 PM
05/12/19 07:31 PM
N
navindra Offline
navindra  Offline
N

Originally Posted by David B
You can easily scratch the N1X finish just by lightly dusting it with a microfiber cloth when the piano finish is bare. I know because I've done it. They are not deep scratches that you can feel with your nail, but they are enough to "cloud" the high polish finish. I guess that is the trade-off with a high polish finish. The wax not only covered up those fine blemishes, but it also provides a protective coating. It's so super slick that the dust glides off easier.

I'm confused because when I was researching pianos, I'm quite sure I came across Yamaha marketing literature that claimed the ebony gloss finish was specially treated to be scratch resistant. I remember thinking I wish Kawai also had the same scratch resistant treatment.

However, I can't find this marketing claim anymore. Perhaps it doesn't apply to the N1X? Or perhaps Yamaha retracted the claim?

(ad) SWEETWATER Lowest Prices
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: navindra] #2847618
05/12/19 07:48 PM
05/12/19 07:48 PM
The Sierras
D
David B Online content OP
500 Post Club Member
David B  Online Content OP
500 Post Club Member
D

The Sierras
Originally Posted by navindra

I'm confused because when I was researching pianos, I'm quite sure I came across Yamaha marketing literature that claimed the ebony gloss finish was specially treated to be scratch resistant.

I'm not sure what kind of finish they use. I contacted my dealer and they didn't know (not definitively). I contacted Yamaha customer service and they didn't know.

It must be a secret.

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Mac mini 2018/Focusrite Scarlett 2i4/KRK Rokit 6 G3 Studio Monitors
Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course; Lessons 1-39 Completed
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: David B] #2847619
05/12/19 07:56 PM
05/12/19 07:56 PM
Long Beach, CA
TomLC Offline
Gold Subscriber
TomLC  Offline
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member

Long Beach, CA
Is this “scratching” a problem for all you N1x owners?

[Linked Image]

Novice with a Novus.....?
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: TomLC] #2847620
05/12/19 07:59 PM
05/12/19 07:59 PM
The Sierras
D
David B Online content OP
500 Post Club Member
David B  Online Content OP
500 Post Club Member
D

The Sierras
Originally Posted by TomLC
Is this “scratching” a problem for all you N1x owners?

Not with with the help of Meguiars.

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Mac mini 2018/Focusrite Scarlett 2i4/KRK Rokit 6 G3 Studio Monitors
Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course; Lessons 1-39 Completed
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: David B] #2847644
05/13/19 12:53 AM
05/13/19 12:53 AM
Sofia, Bulgaria
CyberGene Online content
4000 Post Club Member
CyberGene  Online Content
4000 Post Club Member

Sofia, Bulgaria
Mine doesn’t have any scratches yet besides a very tiny one after my daughter tried to draw with a very hard chalk on the surface... Still it’s barely visible.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: David B] #2847706
05/13/19 09:52 AM
05/13/19 09:52 AM
Vancouver, BC
N
NormB Offline
NormB  Offline
N

Vancouver, BC
To maintain that finish without any issue of wax buildup perhaps use a spray on, wipe off car 'gloss enhancer' like this one from Zaino.

Last edited by NormB; 05/13/19 09:53 AM.
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: David B] #2847744
05/13/19 11:44 AM
05/13/19 11:44 AM
Virginia
HwyStar Offline
500 Post Club Member
HwyStar  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Virginia
Good link NormB!

It does say this at the bottom of that page and that may apply to pianos better:

Please note: Using the product in its original concentration will provide the best results. However, some people may find it difficult to evenly spray Z-6™ in its extremely high concentration. To make Z-6™ Ultra Clean more user-friendly, you may dilute the product with distilled water up to a ratio of 1 to 1 to help you get better results. Test by diluting with small proportions until you find what works best for you. Again, for optimal results, it is best not to dilute Z-6™ Ultra Clean.

Nord Grand, Kawai MP11 (v1), iMac 2017, Yamaha HS8's, Sennheiser 650, Focusrite 2i4, Pianoteq 6.4.0, Steinway Model A, Mason and Hamlin Model AA, Piano Marvel: 3C
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: Amy C] #2847777
05/13/19 01:37 PM
05/13/19 01:37 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Amy C
@9190 - I tried both the Yamaha and the Kawaii...yes, the Kawaii pedals are quite tight. The Yamaha's are on the opposite end, at least on mine - quite loose, almost bordering on too much so, but they are still extremely responsive. I play on an older Bosendorfer now and then that has extremely tight pedals and I've learned that I'd rather on the looser side with a little less control than on the tighter side and having to be jamming on it.

Amy C, if you had your preference would you have preferred the pedals on the N1X to be different in any way, or are you fully satisfied with them? When you tested out the NV10, did you find it any easier to control half-pedalling on the NV10 or the N1X? I assume from your remarks above that you think the Bosendorfer's pedals are too tight and the NV10 is too similar to that? Is that right?

Also, moving away from pedaling, when you tried both N1X and NV10, how did you find the keyboard action compares to each other, and say, the Bosendorfer you play?

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2847781
05/13/19 01:47 PM
05/13/19 01:47 PM
R
rach3master Offline
rach3master  Offline
R

Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Amy C, if you had your preference would you have preferred the pedals on the N1X to be different in any way, or are you fully satisfied with them? When you tested out the NV10, did you find it any easier to control half-pedalling on the NV10 or the N1X? I assume from your remarks above that you think the Bosendorfer's pedals are too tight and the NV10 is too similar to that? Is that right?

Also, moving away from pedaling, when you tried both N1X and NV10, how did you find the keyboard action compares to each other, and say, the Bosendorfer you play?

I owned the N1 (not the N1X) for 2 years and have currently owned the NV10 for about 9 months. The N1's pedal action was just fine in every aspect and I presume the N1X would have remained the same, if not improved. The NV10's pedal action, on the other hand, is very stiff out of the box, and the half-pedaling window is much too narrow to apply consistently. Fortunately, I had a piano technician regulate the mechanism to adjust it to my liking, and I have no more issues with it now.

Youtube piano recordings (classical music/video games/anime): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh9N3Xirs86USDQXE1WiwXg
Kawai Novus NV-10 / Yamaha Avantgrand N1 with Garritan CFX VST
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2847789
05/13/19 02:12 PM
05/13/19 02:12 PM
Pennsylvania
A
Amy C Offline
Amy C  Offline
A

Pennsylvania
Tyrone, I completely agree with rach3master - the N1X damper and sostenuto pedals are great - totally responsive and not too stiff and, even though on the slightly looser side, completely responsive to half-pedaling. Playing through some debussy yesterday, the the pedal really allowed for a wide range of sound. I found the half-pedaling easier on the N1X, and indeed, the very stiff pedals were a big mark against the Kawaii. The only thing I'm not super thrilled with is that the soft pedal is not very responsive. I wish it was a little stronger of an effect - it doesn't have quite that "glossy" sound that a grand does when used.

As for action, honestly, the NV10 was extremely good - I'd say comparable to the Yamaha. But taken as a whole - when I sat down to play something that needed a lot of fine control and really small gradations of texture and tone and pedal, the Yamaha definitely won out. Compared to the Bosendorfer or the Steinways I frequently play on? They are VERY close in feel. It is most comparable to a rebuilt early 20th century Chickering that I play on once a week - slightly stiffer action, but quite responsive. The only thing I noticed is with some finicky and fast turns/trills/other ornamentation, every now and then they don't come through, even though I know I'm hitting it right. I don't have that issue on the Chickering.

Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: David B] #2847793
05/13/19 02:19 PM
05/13/19 02:19 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

7000 Post Club Member

Thanks rach3master & Amy C! Very helpful! I'm thinking I will buy one of these two this week (finally).

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: Amy C] #2847804
05/13/19 02:35 PM
05/13/19 02:35 PM
Sofia, Bulgaria
CyberGene Online content
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Sofia, Bulgaria
Originally Posted by Amy C
The only thing I noticed is with some finicky and fast turns/trills/other ornamentation, every now and then they don't come through, even though I know I'm hitting it right. I don't have that issue on the Chickering.

Hmm, wondering if it’s the same effect of very occasional note misses we discussed recently in this thread with Christy. I thought (and still believe) it’s due to the double repetition lever needing a bit more key release travel to do its job, i.e. it’s perfectly normal for a grand piano action. However now that three of us have noticed it, it is (very) slightly worrying smile I even have my own theory about why it works this way, knowing the Yamaha patent smile But I’m from my phone so will explain later. I can reproduce it only in one particular place in the Chopin’s first ballade but I know how to avoid it too. I mean it’s rare and is easy to overcome (basically you need to get used to the particular key rebound of the Yamaha action and anticipate how it would behave and kind of internalize how much to release the key depending on how fast you need to replay it).

Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: David B] #2847806
05/13/19 02:40 PM
05/13/19 02:40 PM
Kitsap County, WA
Chrispy Offline
Gold Subscriber
Chrispy  Offline
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member

Kitsap County, WA
I still think it's just me and learning how to use the action on a grand. Though I don't get the "stuck key" feeling on my teacher's piano like the N1X, I do have an issue with repeated notes not sounding on his piano. I'd be interested in what you've identified about the action that might cause this. As you say, and I talked to my teacher about this, it definitely has to do with how I'm striking the keys and I'm working on some ideas he had to make it better.

𝒀𝒂𝒎𝒂𝒉𝒂 𝑨𝒗𝒂𝒏𝒕 𝑮𝒓𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝑵1𝑿
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: David B] #2847811
05/13/19 03:04 PM
05/13/19 03:04 PM
Virginia
HwyStar Offline
500 Post Club Member
HwyStar  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Virginia
Maybe 256 polyphony? Doubtful, but with how fast some of you pros are playing anything could be possible. I am just throwing it out there. It is probably not that.

Nord Grand, Kawai MP11 (v1), iMac 2017, Yamaha HS8's, Sennheiser 650, Focusrite 2i4, Pianoteq 6.4.0, Steinway Model A, Mason and Hamlin Model AA, Piano Marvel: 3C
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2847812
05/13/19 03:13 PM
05/13/19 03:13 PM
Long Beach, CA
TomLC Offline
Gold Subscriber
TomLC  Offline
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member

Long Beach, CA
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Thanks rach3master & Amy C! Very helpful! I'm thinking I will buy one of these two this week (finally).

I for one will be really interested in what you decide Tyrone. Even though you have received everyones opinion, it is really up to you. Get the one, or something else, that makes you feel good. Regardless of what everyone else thinks. Try to play several grands and uprights too. I played a Estonia grand last week. As soon as I touched the keyboard I was in love. So light and smooth. Until I heard the sound I was making. . Sooooo bright! I couldn’t keep playing it. However, many folks love it? My point being, YMMV. wink.

[Linked Image]

Novice with a Novus.....?
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: HwyStar] #2847848
05/13/19 05:34 PM
05/13/19 05:34 PM
Kitsap County, WA
Chrispy Offline
Gold Subscriber
Chrispy  Offline
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member

Kitsap County, WA
Originally Posted by HwyStar
Maybe 256 polyphony? Doubtful, but with how fast some of you pros are playing anything could be possible. I am just throwing it out there. It is probably not that.

No it's definitely not a polyphony issue, it has to do with how the sensors deal with the jack resetting on the key I'm pretty sure. And as noted, it's possible to get something similar to happen on other grand pianos even acoustics. I'm actually curious if this affects Yamaha acoustic grands if CyberGene has found an issue if the patent action, or if it's specifically how the Yamaha action works with the sensors.

𝒀𝒂𝒎𝒂𝒉𝒂 𝑨𝒗𝒂𝒏𝒕 𝑮𝒓𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝑵1𝑿
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: David B] #2847854
05/13/19 05:49 PM
05/13/19 05:49 PM
Sofia, Bulgaria
CyberGene Online content
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Sofia, Bulgaria
I think it has to do with sensors.

Let me try to explain my theory about the missed notes in N1X. It’s just a theory and before making it into a “silent note issue”-gate (similar to the infamous loud note issue in NU1X), this one happens very rarely, has rather easier workaround and maybe I’m just wrong smile

You’ll probably get lost in my explanation and non-native English anyway laugh

Yamaha initially thought of measuring the key velocity only, as in NU1X. However they knew it would lead to loud note issues and they even mentioned that in the patent. But key velocity is much more precise than hammer because it’s slower (1:5 ratio). So according to the patent Yamaha still measure key velocities but also add hammer sensors and compare values (also look for discrepancies). For instance, if the key velocity is higher than some value, the hammer velocity is then checked because we might be in a NU1X situation smile The hammer one is the truth.

So, to measure hammer velocity you need to measure the time hammer passes between two points. The second point should be where the hammer hits the string/rail. The first one however should be after the escapement because if you play “off the jack” you would have erroneous measurement. Why? Because you slowly press the key up to the escapement point (hammer is 1mm before the string) and if you’ve already passed the first sensor, the measurement would have started. Then you wait and hit hard. And time duration is not the correct one. It would be too long. So, we should position the two points within the last 1mm. However we know that the hammer can reach velocities in excess of 5m/s (some say even 10m/s). So, the closer the two points are, the less precise the measurement is because all hammers are scanned in a loop and the CPU needs to be very fast to be able to cope with such a short duration. Yamaha knew that and so they decided to play safe and since hammer measuring is only a fallback, they put the first sensor before the escapement, according to N3 service manual it’s full 10mm of hammer travel before the string (out of around 50mm of total blow distance). That’s well beyond escapement and has the potential of missing notes were it not for the key velocity measurement.

And now comes the interesting part. You play a fast repeated note with only slightly releasing the key. The hammer usually rests on the back-check 8mm from the string. If you release the key very slightly so that the jack is reengaged but the hammer never drops to activate the first sensor (i.e. hammer stays within the 10mm zone) then no hammer velocity will be measured and so the measurement system will get confused. It will measure a high key velocity strike with undetermined hammer velocity. It would fallback to producing zero.

Or maybe it’s just that the slightly extended escapement distance on the AvantGrand pianos (varies from 3mm to 2mm, compared to usually 2-1mm on real grands) that requires a slightly higher release of the keys. I mean it could just be a mechanical deficiency which is also present on real grands as discussed and may (or may not) be more pronounced due to the longer escapement distance.

Last edited by CyberGene; 05/13/19 05:51 PM.

Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: David B] #2847876
05/13/19 06:35 PM
05/13/19 06:35 PM
Sofia, Bulgaria
CyberGene Online content
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Sofia, Bulgaria
OK, forget what I said smile I just sat at the piano to analyze that “issue”. It’s the first time since I have my N1X that I sit at the piano not to actually play but to analyze and observe stuff smile I never needed it.

It’s purely mechanical and expected. The key simply won’t replay if not released at least a few millimeter off the bottom. That’s how grand piano action works and how repetition lever is expected to help the jack reengage. It’s much better than upright piano actions but still needs some release. I’m not sure what the standard regulation dictates but it might be that on the N1X it’s slightly higher than standard. Or maybe it’s OK. Why I encountered it only in one particular piece: because it’s a repeating black note I have to play with my pinky. My pinky is short and weak and it lacks the speed and agility compared to the other fingers. All that (and the higher position of the black key) make it harder for me to release the black key enough with the pinky to be repeated. I need to practice more. But it’s totally expected and natural.

Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: CyberGene] #2847880
05/13/19 07:06 PM
05/13/19 07:06 PM
USA
J
JJHLH Offline
JJHLH  Offline
J

USA
Originally Posted by CyberGene
OK, forget what I said smile I just sat at the piano to analyze that “issue”. It’s the first time since I have my N1X that I sit at the piano not to actually play but to analyze and observe stuff smile I never needed it.

It’s purely mechanical and expected. The key simply won’t replay if not released at least a few millimeter off the bottom. That’s how grand piano action works and how repetition lever is expected to help the jack reengage. It’s much better than upright piano actions but still needs some release. I’m not sure what the standard regulation dictates but it might be that on the N1X it’s slightly higher than standard. Or maybe it’s OK. Why I encountered it only in one particular piece: because it’s a repeating black note I have to play with my pinky. My pinky is short and weak and it lacks the speed and agility compared to the other fingers. All that (and the higher position of the black key) make it harder for me to release the black key enough with the pinky to be repeated. I need to practice more. But it’s totally expected and natural.

Thanks for the information. It makes perfect sense the way you describe it.

Yamaha N1X, P-515. Garritan CFX. Genelec 8331 monitors.
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: CyberGene] #2847905
05/13/19 08:48 PM
05/13/19 08:48 PM
N
navindra Offline
navindra  Offline
N

Originally Posted by CyberGene
My pinky is short and weak and it lacks the speed and agility compared to the other fingers.

This is the first I've heard of this short and weak pinky issue causing N1X silent keys and missed notes. This is very worrying, to say the least... Tyrone could you let us know if you see the same issue when you audition the N1X?

Page 41 of 91 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 90 91

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Beginner Question: "Polishing" a Piece
by Antihero. 10/19/19 10:28 AM
Scales - natural or traditional fingering?
by Barly. 10/19/19 08:52 AM
Terrific Pianist!
by camperbc. 10/19/19 07:39 AM
how to be a good pianist?
by dann54. 10/19/19 06:56 AM
Kawai MP11SE and Speakers
by Anthony Rose. 10/19/19 06:36 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,606
Posts2,880,897
Members94,709
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission