Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
67 registered members (Bett, ando, achoo42, Alex Hutor, Balezin Dmitry, akc42, Anticlock, 18 invisible), 1,177 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Trying something new [Re: outo] #2847423
05/11/19 07:04 PM
05/11/19 07:04 PM
Boynton Beach, FL
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Morodiene  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Boynton Beach, FL
As someone who learned two instruments to a high level (piano and voice), I must admit that it's very difficult to maintain at that level. I often find myself choosing to focus on one, and then the other. And then fit composing in the rotisserie as well.

However, I do think it depends on the individual. I love doing both and could never give one up for the other. There's just not enough braincells and time to do both to the level I want to.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Trying something new [Re: outo] #2847527
05/12/19 11:52 AM
05/12/19 11:52 AM
Finland
M
Meria Offline
Meria  Offline
M

Finland
I love the sound of cello and I thought for years that I'd love to learn to play it. I tried cello this spring and instantly realized that it would not work for me. I don't want my fingertips to harden because it would mess my piano playing. That's the reason I gave up guitar few years back (I only played guitar for a year or so). Somehow I had forgotten that. There is lots of people who play both and hardened fingertips don't bother them, so it's not a deal breaker for everyone. If you have passion to play cello, go for it and enjoy the amazing sound of the beautiful instrument.

Instead of cello I picked up flute last month and this far I'm enjoying it a lot! It's perfect size to take with me anywhere I go and the sound is beautiful... Or should I say the sound will be beautiful in the future grin

Acoustic: Fazer upright, digital: Roland F-130R, synth: Roland Fantom X6
Re: Trying something new [Re: Meria] #2847531
05/12/19 12:14 PM
05/12/19 12:14 PM
L
LarryK Offline
500 Post Club Member
LarryK  Offline
500 Post Club Member
L

Originally Posted by Meria
I love the sound of cello and I thought for years that I'd love to learn to play it. I tried cello this spring and instantly realized that it would not work for me. I don't want my fingertips to harden because it would mess my piano playing. That's the reason I gave up guitar few years back (I only played guitar for a year or so). Somehow I had forgotten that. There is lots of people who play both and hardened fingertips don't bother them, so it's not a deal breaker for everyone. If you have passion to play cello, go for it and enjoy the amazing sound of the beautiful instrument.

Instead of cello I picked up flute last month and this far I'm enjoying it a lot! It's perfect size to take with me anywhere I go and the sound is beautiful... Or should I say the sound will be beautiful in the future grin

Just a quick comment, classical guitar strings, which are made of nylon or silver wrapped nylon, do not cause the formation of calluses like steel strings. I had calluses when I played the violin. I’ve played the classical guitars for nine years and my fingertips are soft. I put aloe vera on my hands every night. Now, the fingernails on the right hand can be a problem on the piano but some classical guitarists play without nails.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: Trying something new [Re: LarryK] #2847532
05/12/19 12:16 PM
05/12/19 12:16 PM
Finland
M
Meria Offline
Meria  Offline
M

Finland
Originally Posted by LarryK

Just a quick comment, classical guitar strings, which are made of nylon or silver wrapped nylon, do not cause the formation of calluses like steel strings. I had calluses when I played the violin. I’ve played the classical guitars for nine years and my fingertips are soft. I put aloe vera on my hands every night. Now, the fingernails on the right hand can be a problem on the piano but some classical guitarists play without nails.

Oh I'm sorry, I should have been more precise. I played acoustic guitar.

Re: Trying something new [Re: Meria] #2847535
05/12/19 12:27 PM
05/12/19 12:27 PM
L
LarryK Offline
500 Post Club Member
LarryK  Offline
500 Post Club Member
L

Classical guitars are acoustic guitars too. :-) You mean steel stringed acoustic guitars. No need for apologies.

There is a funny story about Groucho Marx and Segovia. Groucho played the guitar, steel stringed, and he loved Segovia’s playing. Both Groucho and Segovia were living in Los Angeles so Groucho kept asking Segovia to dinner. Segovia finally relented and said he would come, as long as he didn’t have to play. Groucho said ok.

So, on the night of the dinner, Groucho walked around with a Gibson steel stringed guitar under each arm, the guitars were brand new and Groucho was proud of them. At one point, he said to Segovia, could you take one of these guitars, they’re killing me! Segovia took a guitar, plucked a few chords and handed it back, saying the guitar was unplayable! Segovia had never played on steel strings, it was always either gut strings in the early days or nylon strings.

Last edited by LarryK; 05/12/19 12:29 PM.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: Trying something new [Re: outo] #2847536
05/12/19 12:29 PM
W
WeakLeftHand Offline
WeakLeftHand  Offline
W

I played acoustic guitar for a bit and was told I needed to develop calluses. I’m female and have thin skin. The calluses were on their way to developing, through blood and pain, but I quit shortly after. Piano is much less painful for me.

Last edited by WeakLeftHand; 05/12/19 12:30 PM.
Re: Trying something new [Re: outo] #2847537
Georgia, USA
Sam S Offline

3000 Post Club Member
Sam S  Offline

3000 Post Club Member

Georgia, USA
Let me just say that I admire people who take up the cello as an adult - keep it up.

But it is difficult to make a satisfying sound. I go to summer music camp every summer. I have been going for nine years. The beginning pianists at the camp sound very good. The beginning cellists - nails on blackboard. Cringe-worthy. It's the intonation. It doesn't bother some people, but it just drives me nuts. I don't know how many years it takes to sound good, but much longer that it takes with most other instruments.

Sam

Re: Trying something new [Re: outo] #2847539
05/12/19 12:38 PM
05/12/19 12:38 PM
L
LarryK Offline
500 Post Club Member
LarryK  Offline
500 Post Club Member
L

I think rowers, or scullers, are the most masochistic people in terms of forming blisters, calluses, and for shredding their hands in general. I bought special sculling gloves and never had a blister, on the water or on the ergometer. The rowers I met took pride in having bloody wounds that would not heal, and has huge calluses. I found one guy who had some sense about it and wore gloves, he was gay, and he said he didn’t want to touch his partner with hands that felt like sandpaper! I guess the partners of the heterosexuals worked hard to not be touched by their partners, lol.

Last edited by LarryK; 05/12/19 12:39 PM.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: Trying something new [Re: outo] #2847550
05/12/19 01:14 PM
05/12/19 01:14 PM
Finland
O
outo Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
O

Finland
Well, I might be in trouble then...I had also forgotten that I suffered as a teen when playing electric guitar because I have a type of skin that does not really harden or form calluses. I have to wear gloves a lot. Maybe I will have to use them for cello playing too smile

Then again, I sometimes have to wear protective plaster in piano playing too, because the side of my thumb gets irritated by the piano key edges.

Re: Trying something new [Re: Meria] #2847558
05/12/19 01:41 PM
05/12/19 01:41 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

5000 Post Club Member

I was in a piano store in December trying out some of the pianos. A salesman who was both a pianist and a guitarist was helping me. At some point, I thought there was a defect in one of the digital pianos which had a haptic feature (where you feel the strings through the keys) and ask the salesperson to also check it and comment. He said he couldn't because he doesn't feel string vibrations through his guitar calluses. shocked shocked shocked

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Trying something new [Re: outo] #2847562
05/12/19 02:15 PM
05/12/19 02:15 PM
Germany
C
Contraalto64 Offline
Contraalto64  Offline
C

Germany
When I returned to piano, seven years ago, I believed that piano would become the main part of my musical life. I considered myself a pianoplayer. Singing in a chorus seemed to be just a kind of minor sidekick. Some years later I picked up alto recorder as my third instrument. The first steps were really hard for me. Intonation was quite challenging and often very frustrating for me,coming from voice and piano. After a while things worked out. In the same time my chorus projects became more demanding and interesting, piano playing as well. Sometimes, singing consumes a huge amount of my time and energy. Next time it is the piano or the recorder, which is especially demanding. When I started playing the recorder, I was afraid that things would work out exactly this way and that my being a pianoplayer would come into danger. And it did. Surprisingly I'm quite comfortable with this fact, because I realized, that Im not a pianoplayer, but I'm a musician.

Re: Trying something new [Re: outo] #2847568
05/12/19 02:40 PM
05/12/19 02:40 PM
W
WeakLeftHand Offline
WeakLeftHand  Offline
W

Originally Posted by outo
Well, I might be in trouble then...I had also forgotten that I suffered as a teen when playing electric guitar because I have a type of skin that does not really harden or form calluses. I have to wear gloves a lot. Maybe I will have to use them for cello playing too smile

Then again, I sometimes have to wear protective plaster in piano playing too, because the side of my thumb gets irritated by the piano key edges.

Haha the sides of my thumb gets red and irritated by the tops of the piano keys, not even the edges.

Re: Trying something new [Re: LarryK] #2847651
05/13/19 02:27 AM
05/13/19 02:27 AM
Finland
M
Meria Offline
Meria  Offline
M

Finland

Classical guitars are acoustic guitars too. :-) You mean steel stringed acoustic guitars. No need for apologies.

I'm used to call (well, not just me but other people too, just in case someone decides to tell me that I shouldn't start calling instruments whatever I want) steel stringed acoustic guitars "acoustic guitar" and nylon stringed "classical guitar" but yes, of course both are acoustics.

Re: Trying something new [Re: Meria] #2847773
05/13/19 01:20 PM
05/13/19 01:20 PM
L
LarryK Offline
500 Post Club Member
LarryK  Offline
500 Post Club Member
L

I don’t mean to belabor the point. I just think a lot of people aren’t aware that you can play a guitar without getting awful calluses on your fingers, that there are guitars that don’t have steel strings. The classical guitar is, in some ways, a neglected instrument, but it has a beautiful sound and, in the hands of good player, can be moving. Classical guitarists pluck, and, generally speaking, don’t strum.

Last edited by LarryK; 05/13/19 01:21 PM.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: Trying something new [Re: LarryK] #2847776
05/13/19 01:37 PM
05/13/19 01:37 PM
W
WeakLeftHand Offline
WeakLeftHand  Offline
W

I don’t mean to belabor the point. I just think a lot of people aren’t aware that you can play a guitar without getting awful calluses on your fingers, that there are guitars that don’t have steel strings. The classical guitar is, in some ways, a neglected instrument, but it has a beautiful sound and, in the hands of good player, can be moving. Classical guitarists pluck, and, generally speaking, don’t strum.

I wasn't playing with steel strings. As I said, I'm a female with thin skin. I got bloody and was starting to develop calluses. The pressure from pressing on the nylon(?) strings over and over, when changing chords, was enough to do that. And the plucking was also the same. I'd love for you to feel my hands, maybe you would understand. I'm sure I'm not alone in this regard either. Some of us just have really thin and fragile skin.

My best friend was adamant that she had very thin hair (each strand). And I said, no you don't, "I" have very thin hair. She compared her hair to mine, and agreed. Hers was MUCH thicker. But she concluded that she had very thin hair because she compared her hair to her father, who indeed had much thicker hair than she did. His was as thick as a wire. Everything is relative.

Re: Trying something new [Re: WeakLeftHand] #2847782
05/13/19 01:48 PM
05/13/19 01:48 PM
L
LarryK Offline
500 Post Club Member
LarryK  Offline
500 Post Club Member
L

Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand

I wasn't playing with steel strings. As I said, I'm a female with thin skin. I got bloody and was starting to develop calluses. The pressure from pressing on the nylon(?) strings over and over, when changing chords, was enough to do that. And the plucking was also the same. I'd love for you to feel my hands, maybe you would understand. I'm sure I'm not alone in this regard either. Some of us just have really thin and fragile skin.

My best friend was adamant that she had very thin hair (each strand). And I said, no you don't, "I" have very thin hair. She compared her hair to mine, and agreed. Hers was MUCH thicker. But she concluded that she had very thin hair because she compared her hair to her father, who indeed had much thicker hair than she did. His was as thick as a wire. Everything is relative.

Interesting, I believe you. I guess the guitar is not for you. Steel strings would hurt you even more. On classical guitars, the three higher pitched strings are nylon, while the three lower pitched strings are wound strings of silver plated copper or bronze over a nylon core.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: Trying something new [Re: LarryK] #2847785
05/13/19 01:55 PM
05/13/19 01:55 PM
W
WeakLeftHand Offline
WeakLeftHand  Offline
W

Interesting, I believe you. I guess the guitar is not for you. Steel strings would hurt you even more. On classical guitars, the three higher pitched strings are nylon, while the three lower pitched strings are wound strings of silver plated copper or bronze over a nylon core.

It’s very unfortunate actually but at least I’ve got the piano, woodwinds and percussion instruments. I just hope I don’t develop arthritis!

Re: Trying something new [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2847792
05/13/19 02:17 PM
05/13/19 02:17 PM
Sweden
Animisha Offline
500 Post Club Member
Animisha  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Sweden
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
he doesn't feel string vibrations through his guitar calluses. shocked shocked shocked

Less sensitivity in your fingertips also affects other areas than piano playing.... whistle

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
Re: Trying something new [Re: LarryK] #2848277
05/15/19 02:44 AM
05/15/19 02:44 AM
R
RosemaryGirl Offline
RosemaryGirl  Offline
R

Just to add my bit… I also used to have calluses when playing classical (nylon strings) guitar. They were probably not as hard as the calluses I would have got if I'd played steel string guitar, but still, they were calluses. I'm yet to pick up my classical guitar again and see if I can redevelop those skills at the same time as trying to learn the piano. I'm worried the longer fingernails on the right hand would be a problem on the piano… but I do absolutely love the sound of the classical guitar!

Re: Trying something new [Re: outo] #2848330
05/15/19 06:02 AM
05/15/19 06:02 AM
Istanbul
I
IosPlayer Offline
IosPlayer  Offline
I

Istanbul
Here is a way to play guitar without callouses.... turn the piano into a guitar (piano improvisation transmogrified to Spanish guitar)...

And Contraslto, you are very right. You are a musician who plays instruments. Play on!

https://soundcloud.com/michael-levy-387395070/andalusian-doggie

Last edited by IosPlayer; 05/15/19 06:03 AM.

Jazz at www.newartistsrecords.com. Search Michael Levy. Use Safari for free tracks.
https://soundcloud.com/michael-levy-387395070
1915 Steinway B, Kawai MP11se, Casio AT5
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Does this bosendorfer look legit?
by sroreilly. 08/17/19 09:53 PM
Steinway refinish
by TheLoneliestMonk. 08/17/19 08:18 PM
Rare condition makes music painful for pianist
by FrankCox. 08/17/19 06:47 PM
Rare condition makes music painful for pianist
by FrankCox. 08/17/19 06:46 PM
What brand of hammers are these from the 80's?
by Piano Danno. 08/17/19 06:23 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,591
Posts2,859,861
Members94,179
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission