Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
125 registered members (ando, accordeur, akc42, Animisha, 36251, Arcflash, ahoffmann, 34 invisible), 1,507 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: What are you currently practicing? [Re: scottgreen94] #2847066
05/10/19 12:38 PM
05/10/19 12:38 PM
Florida
cmb13 Offline

Silver Level
cmb13  Offline

Silver Level
2000 Post Club Member

Florida
Debussy Clair de Lune...big piece for me. It's been three weeks and it's coming along but I suspect I'll be working on it for quite a while.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: What are you currently practicing? [Re: scottgreen94] #2847164
05/10/19 05:39 PM
05/10/19 05:39 PM
Phoenix, AZ
agraffe Offline
agraffe  Offline

Phoenix, AZ
I adore Clair de Lune, cmb13! While you are at it, or soon thereafter, you may want to try Debussy's First Arabesque. It is also short, lyrical and beautiful.

"When life gives you a lemonwood Gaveau [piano], make a place for it (or, what is the same thing, find a wealthy foreign collector/enthusiast to sell it to)." --adapted from and inspired by _The Piano Shop on the Left Bank_ by Thad Carhart
Re: What are you currently practicing? [Re: scottgreen94] #2847392
05/11/19 03:55 PM
05/11/19 03:55 PM
M
MarkEm Offline
MarkEm  Offline
M

I’m working on Chopin’s Ballade no. 3 at the moment - I’ve been at it on and off since November and still have the last two pages of notes to learn... then plenty of time to refine it!

I manage very little practise time so it’s slow slow progress for me and I often end up spending time just catching up to where I was last time I played. But I’m sure I’ll get there so it will be worth it!

Re: What are you currently practicing? [Re: Pover] #2847412
05/11/19 06:10 PM
05/11/19 06:10 PM
Santa Fe, NM
AaronSF Offline
500 Post Club Member
AaronSF  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Santa Fe, NM
I'm working on a Bach Sinfonia in E, Debussy's "Minstrels" from his Preludes, Book 1, and Rachmaninov's Prelude Op.23, No. 4 in D.

Originally Posted by Pover
I think part of the problem for me is the lack of performance opportunities; if I were to learn a large-scale work I'd want to play it for someone to be honest. It's actually sad how little music there is where I live, and how little anyone cares about classical music frown

Performance opportunities are so rare where I live that I have organized a get-together of all of my teacher's adult students at my place next Saturday, just to practice performance.

I have a friend in California who books herself to play for free at senior centers just for the performance practice.

August Förster 215
Re: What are you currently practicing? [Re: scottgreen94] #2847414
05/11/19 06:18 PM
05/11/19 06:18 PM
Colorado
O
One Ohm Offline
One Ohm  Offline
O

Colorado
I like to have many pieces going at once. I try to mix shorter easier pieces with ones that will take me longer. Like AaronSF, I am also working on Rachmaninov's Prelude Op.23 No.4. Such a beautiful song. In addition, I'm working to polish up Chopin Prelude No. 17 and No. 21. Also working on Brahms Ballade Op. 118 No 3 and Chopin Nocturne Op 48 No1. If that was not enough, I'm working on the last movement of Mozart's Sonata K332 and working my way through Bach's WTC. I have a few easy pieces thrown in for times when I do not want to concentrate hard enough. I wish I could learn pieces faster!

Last edited by One Ohm; 05/11/19 06:21 PM.
Re: What are you currently practicing? [Re: scottgreen94] #2847418
05/11/19 06:50 PM
05/11/19 06:50 PM
D
D959 Offline
D959  Offline
D

Beethoven Eroica Variations Op 35
Mozart Sonata K 309
Chopin Ballade no 3
Bach P&F in F# Major, Book 1

Re: What are you currently practicing? [Re: scottgreen94] #2847474
05/12/19 04:27 AM
05/12/19 04:27 AM
V
Vilhelm Moqvist Offline
Vilhelm Moqvist  Offline
V

Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto no 2
Prokofiev Piano Sonata no 8 (this one is REALLY hard)

Re: What are you currently practicing? [Re: gooddog] #2849252
05/17/19 12:33 PM
05/17/19 12:33 PM
F
FourEyes Offline
FourEyes  Offline
F

Originally Posted by gooddog
I haven't been practicing much because I am still recovering from wrist surgery. I really wanted to revive Brahms' opus 119 for the Brahms/Schumann class at the VCM summer academy. Unfortunately, most of the pieces require large stretches which I still can't do without pain. I also wanted to perform the Schubert/Liszt "Gretchen am Spinnrade" but the pinkie work hurts. This morning, my hand surgeon told me to be patient. cry

Is that the summer program in Victoria, BC? It's fantastic! I've been there a couple of times and loved it. Great program.

Re: What are you currently practicing? [Re: scottgreen94] #2849298
05/17/19 02:17 PM
05/17/19 02:17 PM
Pennsylvania
A
Amy C Offline
Amy C  Offline
A

Pennsylvania
I'm close to wrapping up (well, as much as anyone can ever "wrap up" Bach) the English suite no 5 in e minor. The sarabande, passapied and gigue on that piece blow me away - such gorgeous writing. Took me two months. I know I SHOULD commit it to memory, because I love it so much. But I also have a lot else that I want to work on.

Also doing Rachmaninoff's Corelli variations. I'm doing around a variation a week, give or take. Some may take a lot longer. Man do I love this piece more and more each time I work on it. It's really worth playing. If you give it a listen, I think Lugansky's version is best, with Ashkenazy close behind.

Beethoven's 13th sonata, which I am solidifying the first three movements and am two pages from have the last movement in my fingers. Then it needs a whole lot of editorial work. Gosh, what a lovely sonata. It's taken about two months, and probably another month really polishing it. I could have moved faster, but I'm not a professional anymore so I can go whatever pace I want grin

Finishing off Satie's Pieces Froids. I like to play these and look out the window at the leaves blowing about in the Spring wind. Makes me feel very French wink

Just started Handel's suite in F sharp minor. The fugue from that suite is, to my mind, one of the most beautiful I have ever heard. I could live in that music.

Re: What are you currently practicing? [Re: patH] #2849301
05/17/19 02:29 PM
05/17/19 02:29 PM
Pennsylvania
A
Amy C Offline
Amy C  Offline
A

Pennsylvania
@PatH that Scherzo is a toughie. Those beautiful cascading phrases are a PAIN to get in the fingers, to say nothing of the entire ending! I found that it was tough going for a long while and then it started "clicking" really quickly. Keep working!

Re: What are you currently practicing? [Re: scottgreen94] #2849326
05/17/19 03:59 PM
05/17/19 03:59 PM
UK
S
ShyPianist Offline
500 Post Club Member
ShyPianist  Offline
500 Post Club Member
S

UK
Quite a variety but I am really struggling for practice time at the moment what with work, family and yet another Labrador-induced shoulder injury 🤬 (underlining that “how long does it take you to learn a piece” is basically “how long is a piece of string”). I started playing seriously again in January after a 20 year gap.

Easing in pieces
Bach 2 part Inventions - I love them! I’m memorising them as I go, and only up to no 3!
Chopin Preludes - a mix of quick wins and bite size horrors

Beethoven project
I want to delve deep into the sonatas so I started at the beginning with Op 2 No 1. Got the first mvmt down and memorised, 2nd nearly memorised, working on 4th (and 3rd for completeness]. Struggling a little at the moment due to left shoulder problem.

New repertoire
Schumann G Minor Sonata op 22. Had it for a few weeks but have probably only spent a few hours on it so far! Never played Schumann before.

As and when’s
Ravel “Pavane pour un infant defunte”
Godowsky “The Swan”

Next challenge
I don’t want to go through Beethoven in order. I’m considering whether to pick up “The Tempest” again from my student days or launch into the Appassionata

What I really need is a clone that can practice while I work.

Last edited by ShyPianist; 05/17/19 03:59 PM.

Pianist, independent music arranger, violinist, mother
Re: What are you currently practicing? [Re: gooddog] #2849405
05/17/19 08:44 PM
05/17/19 08:44 PM
D
dumka1 Offline
dumka1  Offline
D

Originally Posted by gooddog
Originally Posted by dogperson
Predominantly, Montagues and Capulets from Romeo and Juliet....
I love that piece!

I'm going to start learning it over the summer. Love it, too.

Working on movement 2 of Haydn's sonata in E minor (Hob XVI/34), while trying to polish the 1st movement. Bach, Prelude and Fugue in D minor from WTC book 1, Haydn's concerto in D major; just finished Tchaikovsky's "April." Will probably start "June" next. Too much beautiful music, too little time.

Re: What are you currently practicing? [Re: ShyPianist] #2849406
05/17/19 08:54 PM
05/17/19 08:54 PM
Pennsylvania
A
Amy C Offline
Amy C  Offline
A

Pennsylvania
@shypianist, I started playing seriously again in January after a 15-year break! You're smart for easing in slow, I haven't been doing that and I am starting to feel it in my wrists, arms and shoulders. The Chopin preludes are so wonderful - I did the full 24 back in the day, I'd love to re-do them again, and they seem like a good way to get back in the swing of things.

Re: What are you currently practicing? [Re: Amy C] #2849710
05/18/19 05:42 PM
05/18/19 05:42 PM
UK
S
ShyPianist Offline
500 Post Club Member
ShyPianist  Offline
500 Post Club Member
S

UK
No choice really, I just don’t have the time! But I did decide to start with a clean slate this time after a couple of aborted attempts at picking up old repertoire. I feel like I have some real gaps in core repertoire that I want to try and fill, hence turning to things like the Two Part Inventions which I really wish I’d studied as a child. In hindsight I think some pieces that my teacher assigned post grade 8 were that bit too hard at the time (the black key etude and Jeux d’Eau being a couple of examples) which meant I spent too long learning a handful of pieces instead of getting a broader sweep of core works. Decades later I’m trying to put that right!

Re: What are you currently practicing? [Re: scottgreen94] #2849716
05/18/19 05:51 PM
05/18/19 05:51 PM
Oakland
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
BDB  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B

Oakland
Labor relations! Publicity! Solicitations of donations!

There are a lot of things one has to do to prepare for a performance season.

Semipro Tech
Re: What are you currently practicing? [Re: scottgreen94] #2849790
05/19/19 01:27 AM
05/19/19 01:27 AM
Dublin
johnstaf Online crying
1000 Post Club Member
johnstaf  Online Crying
1000 Post Club Member

Dublin
Originally Posted by ShyPianist
No choice really, I just don’t have the time! But I did decide to start with a clean slate this time after a couple of aborted attempts at picking up old repertoire. I feel like I have some real gaps in core repertoire that I want to try and fill, hence turning to things like the Two Part Inventions which I really wish I’d studied as a child. In hindsight I think some pieces that my teacher assigned post grade 8 were that bit too hard at the time (the black key etude and Jeux d’Eau being a couple of examples) which meant I spent too long learning a handful of pieces instead of getting a broader sweep of core works. Decades later I’m trying to put that right!

I think there is a lot to be said for playing pieces at a higher level, sometimes even an almost impossibly higher level, but only up to a point, and for a specific reason. However, it should be something you choose yourself, and something you work on separately from your more conservatively chosen repertoire. Otherwise the student is turning up unable to do what she was able to do before i.e. make predictable progress from week to week, without the piano turning into a form of stressful torture. Jeaux d'Eau after grade 8? eek

Re: What are you currently practicing? [Re: johnstaf] #2849802
05/19/19 03:38 AM
05/19/19 03:38 AM
UK
S
ShyPianist Offline
500 Post Club Member
ShyPianist  Offline
500 Post Club Member
S

UK
Originally Posted by johnstaf
Originally Posted by ShyPianist

I think there is a lot to be said for playing pieces at a higher level, sometimes even an almost impossibly higher level, but only up to a point, and for a specific reason. However, it should be something you choose yourself, and something you work on separately from your more conservatively chosen repertoire. Otherwise the student is turning up unable to do what she was able to do before i.e. make predictable progress from week to week, without the piano turning into a form of stressful torture. Jeaux d'Eau after grade 8? eek

Yes, my first teacher was wonderful in so many ways, but looking back now I feel things did go awry a little after Grade 8. I got an amazing grounding in technique and musicianship which I will be eternally grateful to him for, but I’ve been trying to come up with a list of the things I learned in the couple of years between getting Grade 8 and starting to prepare for college auditions and I can’t remember many at all! A couple from WTC, some Chopin Etudes, a Liszt Consolation, Wedding Day at Troldhaugen, Mozart Concerto no 20 2nd mvmt (played with school orchestra). After that I’m struggling to think of others although there must have been more. I do remember rarely having anything I could just sit down and play for people and I really regret that now.

Then just as I was preparing for those college auditions he announced he would no longer be teaching so I ended up being mentored through my preparations by my violin teacher with a couple of lessons from a nearby college professor. I was successful but it was incredibly stressful and unsettling!

My tutor at college then assigned me a load of different things which I see now were aimed at plugging gaps and getting to know a wider range of repertoire. Not sure I fully appreciated that at the time. Youth, as they say, is wasted on the young. Now, decades later, I feel I need several lifetimes to learn all the works I want to play!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Still having trouble with altered chords...
by ZeroZero. 07/20/19 12:59 PM
Thin Sound Through Interface?
by Versicolor84. 07/20/19 12:37 PM
Update on (lack of) health
by Monica K.. 07/20/19 11:58 AM
Chopin's Scherzos - Are They Amusing?
by PianoLen3. 07/20/19 05:45 AM
Tuning Hammers of Reyburn
by Vlad Ants. 07/20/19 05:38 AM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,092
Posts2,850,069
Members93,934
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission