2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
72 members (akressevich, aphexdisklavier, Auraltuner, anotherscott, 36251, Bruce In Philly, Beowulf, 19 invisible), 492 guests, and 410 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 16 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 15 16
Re: Thread alerting us about upcoming important concerts?
Mark_C #2847393 05/11/19 04:01 PM
L
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
L
Tonight, May 11th, Angela Hewitt plays the Toccatas at the 92nd St Y in New York City and returns on May 14th to play the English Suites 1-3.

Last edited by LarryK; 05/11/19 04:02 PM.
Mark_C #2854124 05/31/19 06:26 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Apparently, Martha Argerich's concerts in Singapore in early June have been cancelled (in one of them, Eric Lu will play instead) because of "health reasons". Don't know if anyone here was going to go.

I just hope she'll get well soon, I'm not quite ready to lose Martha Argerich just yet.

Sibylle

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." -Brendan Gill
Mark_C #2854167 05/31/19 10:01 AM
A
A
Krystian Zimerman plays a recital in Stuttgart on Tuesday June 4th, and in Basel on June 15th (Brahms 3rd sonata, Chopin 4 Scherzi). I will try to make it to one of those!

I got to see Yuja Wang in Zurich last Sunday, where she played Schumann concerto with the Birmingham Symphony Orchestra. Was anyone at any of the concerts of her European tour? She had also had to cancel the first half of them because of illness.
This was an interesting concert. I can't describe what it was like to hear her play- she has always been a pianist I really admired, someone whom I felt never compromised on quality even while she sustained a glamorous image, but seeing her in action was something else. I had never heard the opening theme of that Schumann played with such tenderness. I was constantly astounded by her courage in playing with such incredible intimacy, and I was a little disappointed that the orchestra often failed to respond. In the second movement, for example, that beautiful conversation between solo and tutti, she was constantly inviting the orchestra to play softer, but they constantly answered her louder. On the whole there was a strange rapport between the two. It might have simply been lack of rehearsal time together, especially that she jumped in halfway through their tour, but I felt a certain coldness, a lack of agreement or a desire to come to an agreement and to make music together. (Mirga Gražinytė-Tyla is one of the most successful female conductors today, but in general I was not convinced or moved by much of what she and the orchestra did. Brahms's 2nd symphony, which was the second half of the program and which I was so excited to hear, was disappointing). In the first movement of Schumann, they took the recapitulation way too slowly and I thought, my god, how is Yuja going to handle this tempo? She simply didn't- she took her own, which was very noticeably faster. I was also surprised that she and the conductor did not come back on stage together after the applause, even after she had played her third encore. (She played three: Mozart/ Volodos/ Wang Rondo alla Turka, Schubert/ Liszt Gretchen am Spinnrade, and Horowitz/ Bizet Carmen variations).

I don't know how other people feel about this, but to me there is something forced and slightly circus-like about the whole tradition of virtuosic encores. After such an intensly poetic piece, I preferred to stay in that mood and not hear anything else. The idea of more- more blindingly fast, gazillion-note pieces that would invite Oh and Wow's had something a little degrading about it, both to the artist, to the audience, and to the masterpiece that had just been delivered. Yuja played magnificently, but I wonder if she enjoys it or if she thinks this is what people want to hear (is this what people want to hear? Isn't this injustice to the audience as well?). I think of pianists like Vadym Kholodenko, who, when people expect a Lizst opera paraphrase, he gives them a Bach choral prelude- when they ask (or think they should ask) for virtuosity, he gives them prayer. It is as if he is saying, I am here to tell you something more important. To me that is more honest. I can't and do not want to hear Flight of the Bumble Bee after Prokofiev 2, or Carmen Fantasy after the painful spiritual journey of a late Beethoven sonata. I want to leave with that, to hold on to the experience as long as possible.

Sorry for the long post.

"Love has to be the starting point- love of music. It is one of my firmest convictions that love always produces some knowledge, while knowledge only rarely produces something similar to love."
Arthur Schnabel

Sibylle #2854229 05/31/19 12:35 PM
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Sibylle
Apparently, Martha Argerich's concerts in Singapore in early June have been cancelled (in one of them, Eric Lu will play instead) because of "health reasons". Don't know if anyone here was going to go.

I just hope she'll get well soon, I'm not quite ready to lose Martha Argerich just yet.

She's still billed to appear in the BBC Proms in August, playing Tchaik 1 (all seat tickets sold out of course, but you can still turn up and prom for £6):

https://www.bbc.co.uk/proms/events/performers/3bb8b89e-5700-4d7a-aa0b-d48f8706831d

If anyone can persuade her to turn up, it's her pal Daniel wink who's conducting. And she adores the Proms audiences too thumb.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
bennevis #2854233 05/31/19 12:45 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bennevis
If anyone can persuade her to turn up, it's her pal Daniel wink who's conducting. And she adores the Proms audiences too thumb.

I had been under the impression she had outgrew the phase where she was avoiding concerts and recitals, even through the stratagem of self-harm. Is she still avoiding her scheduled performances then, even now?

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Tyrone Slothrop #2854268 05/31/19 02:04 PM
Online Content
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

I had been under the impression she had outgrew the phase where she was avoiding concerts and recitals, even through the stratagem of self-harm. Is she still avoiding her scheduled performances then, even now?
Maybe she's just really ill? I see no reason to assume she's just avoiding the concert for another reason. Why call cutting her finger "self harm". To me that sounds like you're trying to sensationalize things. When people use that phrase it usually refers to something more serious.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 05/31/19 02:05 PM.
pianoloverus #2854271 05/31/19 02:07 PM
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

Maybe she's just really ill? I see no reason to assume she's just avoiding the concert for another reason. Why call cutting her finger "self harm". To me that sounds like you're trying to sensationalize things. When people use that phrase it usually refers to something more serious.

Plus in itself it trivialises the serious issue of severe performance anxiety. My guess here is that she is genuinely ill. I can’t imagine being under so much pressure to perform well while being ill.

Pianist, independent music arranger, violinist, mother
Mark_C #2854274 05/31/19 02:10 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
It did sound to me like she was actually ill. Let's not forget that she's, what, 77? I just hope it's nothing serious.

bennevis, I hope you're right and she'll be back for the August Proms.

Sibylle

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." -Brendan Gill
ShyPianist #2854275 05/31/19 02:13 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ShyPianist
Plus in itself it trivialises the serious issue of severe performance anxiety. My guess here is that she is genuinely ill. I can’t imagine being under so much pressure to perform well while being ill.

Sorry, I seriously misspoke. eek I didn't mean to trivialize real self-harm. I see that cutting one's finger to try to give evidence for why one shouldn't have to give a performance is on a different order of magnitude from those that cut out of anxiety and depression. Sorry to all to have been so flippant in my inappropriate use of terminology. blush blush

I was wondering though if she was just trying to avoid performances still. It seems the consensus is that this is behind her and now if she misses an performance, it is because she is really ill.

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Tyrone Slothrop #2854277 05/31/19 02:16 PM
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S

Sorry, I seriously misspoke. eek I didn't mean to trivialize real self-harm. I see that cutting one's finger to try to give evidence for why one shouldn't have to give a performance is on a different order of magnitude from those that cut out of anxiety and depression. Sorry to all to have been so flippant in my inappropriate use of terminology. blush blush

I was wondering though if she was just trying to avoid performances still. It seems the consensus is that this is behind her and now if she misses an performance, it is because she is really ill.

Don’t worry! Although I believe she did cut herself out of severe acute anxiety, that’s what I was saying.

Pianist, independent music arranger, violinist, mother
Mark_C #2854288 05/31/19 02:43 PM
4000 Post Club Member
Online Crying
4000 Post Club Member
She still cancels some performances. It took me three attempts to finally get to see her. When I saw her in March, she looked very frail walking on stage, but that didn't last long... I have been a huge fan for decades, but I didn't realise how amazing she was.

I don't know if this is true or not, but I read that in recent years she only schedules concerts that won't bother her for weeks beforehand, but she does have to cancel from time to time for health reasons. She has had to do this frequently in the last thirty years.

I hope she gets well soon, but I wouldn't be too worried.

Mark_C #2854293 05/31/19 03:02 PM
4000 Post Club Member
Online Crying
4000 Post Club Member
BTW Sybille, Yuja Wang is playing in Dublin on September 4th with the Staatskapelle Dresden. Rachmaninov 3.

johnstaf #2854296 05/31/19 03:05 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by johnstaf
BTW Sybille, Yuja Wang is playing in Dublin on September 4th with the Staatskapelle Dresden. Rachmaninov 3.

What!! Three days before I leave for Vienna. Oh gods, this is too tempting. Will you go? Are there tickets yet?

Sibylle

ShyPianist #2854303 05/31/19 03:40 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Although I believe she did cut herself out of severe acute anxiety, that’s what I was saying.

I did read that she suffered from severe depression around the time of her first marriage and baby and that it lasted 2 years. Not sure, but her losing custody of the baby might also have had something to do with her depression, or maybe it was that she lost custody because of her depression. For an A-list star of the classical world, she's had difficulties in her life.

[Linked Image]

Sibylle #2854323 05/31/19 04:48 PM
4000 Post Club Member
Online Crying
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sibylle

What!! Three days before I leave for Vienna. Oh gods, this is too tempting. Will you go? Are there tickets yet?

Yep! They went on sale today! I have already booked. I can't wait! I'd love to hear her Prokofiev 2, but you can't have everything...

Last edited by johnstaf; 05/31/19 04:50 PM.
Tyrone Slothrop #2854326 05/31/19 05:01 PM
4000 Post Club Member
Online Crying
4000 Post Club Member
Although I believe she did cut herself out of severe acute anxiety, that’s what I was saying.

I did read that she suffered from severe depression around the time of her first marriage and baby and that it lasted 2 years. Not sure, but her losing custody of the baby might also have had something to do with her depression, or maybe it was that she lost custody because of her depression. For an A-list star of the classical world, she's had difficulties in her life.

Yes, she's certainly had her troubles. Early on, she even stopped playing. She wondered why people were making such a big deal about someone playing the piano.

I remember seeing an interview with her on the news a few years ago. She was upset that there had been a bomb in Kabul that day, and she felt a bit silly talking about her piano playing as if it was really important.

BTW, a friend of mine got to hang out with her back stage a few years ago and said she was lovely.

Last edited by johnstaf; 05/31/19 05:05 PM.
Ainar #2854332 05/31/19 05:19 PM
4000 Post Club Member
Online Crying
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rania
I can't describe what it was like to hear her play- she has always been a pianist I really admired, someone whom I felt never compromised on quality even while she sustained a glamorous image, but seeing her in action was something else. I had never heard the opening theme of that Schumann played with such tenderness.
I don't know how other people feel about this, but to me there is something forced and slightly circus-like about the whole tradition of virtuosic encores.

I think Yuja Wang is one of the greatest pianists in the world today. Some people only hear flash, but I feel the same was as you do. I think she has a rare quality about her.

Agreed about the flashy encores. Sometimes a bombastic encore can spoil the mood.

I remember attending a recital in which Andras Schiff played the Diabelli Variations. For me the atmosphere was magical. For an encore he played the Goldberg aria. It was so perfectly judged.

johnstaf #2854333 05/31/19 05:21 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Yep! They went on sale today! I have already booked. I can't wait! I'd love to hear her Prokofiev 2, but you can't have everything...

Right, that's it, I'm going, too laugh

Sibylle

johnstaf #2854350 05/31/19 06:27 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rania
I don't know how other people feel about this, but to me there is something forced and slightly circus-like about the whole tradition of virtuosic encores.

Agreed about the flashy encores. Sometimes a bombastic encore can spoil the mood.

Yuja is hardly the only pianist that plays virtuosic encores. Valentina Lisitsa loves to play La Campanella as an encore and she does often. It's like her signature encore. There are at least 8-9 different recordings on Youtube of her playing this piece - almost half are encores.

[Linked Image]

Tyrone Slothrop #2854409 05/31/19 09:20 PM
4000 Post Club Member
Online Crying
4000 Post Club Member

Yuja is hardly the only pianist that plays virtuosic encores. Valentina Lisitsa loves to play La Campanella as an encore and she does often. It's like her signature encore. There are at least 8-9 different recordings on Youtube of her playing this piece - almost half are encores.

Indeed. It's a time-honoured tradition, but sometimes it can spoil the mood. Sometimes it can be wonderful. I remember Luganski following a Rachmaninoff sonata with the R's arrangement of Mendelssohn's Midsummer Night's Dream Overture. Needless to say it worked like a charm.

I can imagine hearing Valentina playing La Campanella live would be great. Somehow she always manages to inject a sense of fun into the proceedings. She has an infectious love of the music she plays. I've never actually heard her in concert, but I'd love to.

Page 10 of 16 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 15 16

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
OT - Happy Halloween!
by Morodiene - 10/30/20 03:01 PM
Help, Please: Roland FP4 and MIDI
by drutgat - 10/30/20 02:23 PM
Pianoteq and Disklavier XP
by bSharp(C)yclist - 10/30/20 01:30 PM
The problem of ear to hand
by John 656 - 10/30/20 01:25 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,495
Posts3,018,792
Members99,075
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission