Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
115 registered members (Brendan, Animisha, BubbaMc, astrotoy, 39 invisible), 1,240 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Schumann's Von Fremden Ländern und Menschen #2846940
05/10/19 05:32 AM
05/10/19 05:32 AM
Sheffield, UK
K
KevinM Offline OP
KevinM  Offline OP
K

Sheffield, UK
I feel I have this piece under control now, so what I am after is trying for a particular feel. I have two different interpretations, one by Maria-João Pires and the other by Matthias Kirschnereit. Mostly I prefer Kirschnereit's interpretations of Schumann's pieces to Pires' who often I feel plays the pieces too quickly. But for Von Fremden Ländern und Menschen I prefer her interpretation. The piece I feel has three voices and the second voice is quite hidden in Kirschnereit's version and I think by itself the second voice is lovely and Pires brings out that voice nicely.

My teacher really likes the Kirschnereit interpretation. So I'm going to have to do a really good job of it if I go for the Pires interpretation to convince her of my choice.

Pires playing Von Fremden Ländern und Menschen

Kirschnereit playing Von Fremden Ländern und Menschen

Learning Mendelssohn Song without Words Op. 19 No. 2, Schumann Bunte Blätter Stücklein Op. 99 No. 1. Jensen Sehnsucht Op. 8 No. 5. Schumann Kinderszenen Op15 No1, Von Fremden Ländern und Menschen.
Digital piano: Casio Celviano AP-470. Headphones: Superlux HD681 EVO
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Schumann's Von Fremden Ländern und Menschen [Re: KevinM] #2846975
05/10/19 08:32 AM
05/10/19 08:32 AM
New York City
pianoloverus Online content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
pianoloverus  Online Content

New York City
I think listening to good professional performances is a good idea to hear how they shape phrases, voice the melody, and learn how the piece "goes". But I also think you should basically choose your own interpretation for this piece and not "go for" one particular interpretation. Do you really want to copy every little nuance they include? How do you want to shape the melody? Is the balance between the melody and the rest of the notes good?

Re: Schumann's Von Fremden Ländern und Menschen [Re: pianoloverus] #2846982
05/10/19 08:45 AM
05/10/19 08:45 AM
Sheffield, UK
K
KevinM Offline OP
KevinM  Offline OP
K

Sheffield, UK
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I think listening to good professional performances is a good idea to hear how they shape phrases, voice the melody, and learn how the piece "goes". But I also think you should basically choose your own interpretation for this piece and not "go for" one particular interpretation. Do you really want to copy every little nuance they include? How do you want to shape the melody? Is the balance between the melody and the rest of the notes good?

I don't want to do copy, but what I want to make sure I capture is the middle voice which I think the Kerschnereit version lacks but the Pires captures nicely. So I want to include the melody, the second voice while keeping the support soft. Which is going to be hard for me to get right.

What I found interesting was when I was practising while making it a bit staccato to help with my rhythm (I am not sure why but practising staccato helps me feel the rhythm of a piece better) I noticed the middle voice in my own playing that I hadn't noticed before. Then when I went to listen to the two different versions again I could it hear it nicely in one but was muted in the other and I do like the middle voice.

Though I can see how you could have interpreted my discussion to imply copying because of the bit talking about where what I like and my teacher likes differ. But that isn't what I meant from that.

Last edited by KevinM; 05/10/19 08:47 AM.

Learning Mendelssohn Song without Words Op. 19 No. 2, Schumann Bunte Blätter Stücklein Op. 99 No. 1. Jensen Sehnsucht Op. 8 No. 5. Schumann Kinderszenen Op15 No1, Von Fremden Ländern und Menschen.
Re: Schumann's Von Fremden Ländern und Menschen [Re: KevinM] #2847010
05/10/19 10:24 AM
05/10/19 10:24 AM
New York City

New York City
The middle voice should be the softest, no?

Re: Schumann's Von Fremden Ländern und Menschen [Re: pianoloverus] #2847017
05/10/19 10:38 AM
05/10/19 10:38 AM
Sheffield, UK
K
KevinM Offline OP
KevinM  Offline OP
K

Sheffield, UK

Always?

That is what I like about the Pires version is you can hear the middle voice coming through clearly whereas the support is sometimes close to inaudible and I like hearing that middle voice, and I think it gives her interpretation more interest than Kirschnereits as a result.

I am definitely weak on music theory so all I am going on here is what I personally like.

Last edited by KevinM; 05/10/19 10:38 AM.

Re: Schumann's Von Fremden Ländern und Menschen [Re: KevinM] #2847020
05/10/19 10:42 AM
05/10/19 10:42 AM
Sheffield, UK
K
KevinM Offline OP
KevinM  Offline OP
K

Sheffield, UK
I am assuming here that the melody is the loudest, but the middle voice comes above the support, just in case my comment above makes you think I want the middle voice to be louder than the melody.

Last edited by KevinM; 05/10/19 10:43 AM.

Re: Schumann's Von Fremden Ländern und Menschen [Re: KevinM] #2847065
05/10/19 12:38 PM
05/10/19 12:38 PM
New York City

New York City
Originally Posted by KevinM

Always?

That is what I like about the Pires version is you can hear the middle voice coming through clearly whereas the support is sometimes close to inaudible and I like hearing that middle voice, and I think it gives her interpretation more interest than Kirschnereits as a result.

I am definitely weak on music theory so all I am going on here is what I personally like.
The middle voices sound about equal to me in the two recordings. As long as the melody is louder than the other voices in this piece I agree that the middle voice doesn't have to be softer than the bass in the first few phrases at least. Later in the piece there is a melodic line in the bass that's usually brought out.

Re: Schumann's Von Fremden Ländern und Menschen [Re: KevinM] #2847183
05/10/19 07:03 PM
05/10/19 07:03 PM
S
Sidokar Offline
Sidokar  Offline
S

My teacher really likes the Kirschnereit interpretation. So I'm going to have to do a really good job of it if I go for the Pires interpretation to convince her of my choice.

I like quite a lot the Inger Sodergren version. For me it conveys perfectly the spirit of the whole set and the poetry of this particular one. Like pianoloverus I think you need to find your own interpretation based on how you feel the piece. How you voice the different parts depends on the color and tone you choose.

https://youtu.be/VwjhMLJM12M

Re: Schumann's Von Fremden Ländern und Menschen [Re: KevinM] #2847212
05/10/19 09:10 PM
05/10/19 09:10 PM
*sigh* Salt Lake City
malkin Offline
5000 Post Club Member
malkin  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

*sigh* Salt Lake City
Working on this piece is currently making me crazy creating new neural synapses and expanding my skill as a pianist. I am probably playing it at my teacher's studio recital in less than a month.

Learner
Re: Schumann's Von Fremden Ländern und Menschen [Re: KevinM] #2847274
05/11/19 05:24 AM
J
joe80 Offline
3000 Post Club Member
joe80  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
J

My own opinion is that you can practise it various ways, and experiment with the voicing. Don't get stuck in one way. I've heard some of your recordings and you are a good student, so I know you can cope with this.

When you do the repeat you can vary the voicing. You can even play it fairly straight in the first play, and on the repeat do some more experimental voicing, for instance you might want to punctuate the bass on one bar or phrase, and the middle on another. There's no reason to play it the same way twice.

Both performances are good but both very different. I think Pires is more introspective actually.

Re: Schumann's Von Fremden Ländern und Menschen [Re: pianoloverus] #2847275
Scotland
Beemer Offline
Bronze Subscriber
Beemer  Offline
Bronze Subscriber

Scotland

+1

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
Re: Schumann's Von Fremden Ländern und Menschen [Re: Sidokar] #2847286
05/11/19 06:35 AM
05/11/19 06:35 AM
Sheffield, UK
K
KevinM Offline OP
KevinM  Offline OP
K

Sheffield, UK
Originally Posted by Sidokar

I like quite a lot the Inger Sodergren version. For me it conveys perfectly the spirit of the whole set and the poetry of this particular one. How you voice the different parts depends on the color and tone you choose.

https://youtu.be/VwjhMLJM12M

For some reason I don't connect with the Inger Sodergren version.

Like pianoloverus I think you need to find your own interpretation based on how you feel the piece.

I quickly stated after pianovelorus's post that, it wasn't my intention to state or imply that I wanted to copy the interpretation.

The point I was trying to make was about my teacher having a different perspective to myself and if I am going to diverge from her direction it kind of feels like added pressure to do a good job. This piece isn't one that she set me and is not part of my normal lesson and our discussion came out of my request for help with getting it nicely polished.

Re: Schumann's Von Fremden Ländern und Menschen [Re: malkin] #2847287
05/11/19 06:43 AM
05/11/19 06:43 AM
Sheffield, UK
K
KevinM Offline OP
KevinM  Offline OP
K

Sheffield, UK
Originally Posted by malkin
Working on this piece is currently making me crazy creating new neural synapses and expanding my skill as a pianist. I am probably playing it at my teacher's studio recital in less than a month.

I so get this. I learnt to play the piece quickly. But I am finding capturing the essence of the piece really difficult and taking forever. Making me crazy describes it well.

40 minutes of super slow practise on this piece this morning. Focusing on how I want each note to sound and differentiating the difference voices. I stopped at 40 minutes as that is when my concentration ran out.

Re: Schumann's Von Fremden Ländern und Menschen [Re: KevinM] #2847288
05/11/19 06:55 AM
05/11/19 06:55 AM
Brittany, France
P
petebfrance Offline
petebfrance  Offline
P

Brittany, France
My twopence worth:
Having downloaded this piece when you first mentioned it, I've gone through it a few times I think I see what you mean. You are also caught between 'doing it your way' and accepting and therefore following your teacher's advice - totally rejecting it would seem impolite, but, then again, of course it is your performance.
Joe80's advice looks good to me, in that on first playing the 3rd voice is kept in the background but then brought out 'subtly' a bit more in the repeats - which will add interest to the piece and is a kind of 'Judgement of Solomon' approach.
As I say, my twopence worth, but I'm tempted to give it a try too...if I don't make too many mistakes, that is!

regards
Pete
Re: Schumann's Von Fremden Ländern und Menschen [Re: KevinM] #2847329
05/11/19 11:07 AM
05/11/19 11:07 AM
S
Sidokar Offline
Sidokar  Offline
S

The point I was trying to make was about my teacher having a different perspective to myself and if I am going to diverge from her direction it kind of feels like added pressure to do a good job. This piece isn't one that she set me and is not part of my normal lesson and our discussion came out of my request for help with getting it nicely polished.

I do not see the different perspective on interpretation of a given piece being an issue, otherwise everybody would be playing the same way. I think the role of a teacher is to help the student to learn how to convey the tone of the piece and not to impose to him his/her vision (asuming the student has a point of view) but also to make sure the student is aware of the limits of certain choices. So the fact that you have a different opinion is in fact a good opportunity to discuss how and why the piece should be played one way or another.

My point was different; it is that the various elements of the interpretation must be chosen based on the overal tone chosen for the piece not by themselves; Wether the inner voice should be more or less present, the tempo, rubato, phrasing and touch all these elements contribute to give the piece a character: sad, melancolic, dreaming, gay, ... It is the consistency of these choices and the ability to make them happend mechanically that transform a piece into something that tells a story.

Re your 2 versions, I do not see that there is any significant difference in terms of the inner voice. The accoustic of the 2 recordings is very different and has a big impact; and the overall quality of YT sound is pretty average. But there is clearly a big difference in terms of interpretation and the 2 versions convey a different perspective of the piece.

Re: Schumann's Von Fremden Ländern und Menschen [Re: Sidokar] #2847340
05/11/19 11:59 AM
05/11/19 11:59 AM
Sheffield, UK
K
KevinM Offline OP
KevinM  Offline OP
K

Sheffield, UK
My point was different; it is that the various elements of the interpretation must be chosen based on the overal tone chosen for the piece not by themselves; Wether the inner voice should be more or less present, the tempo, rubato, phrasing and touch all these elements contribute to give the piece a character: sad, melancolic, dreaming, gay, ... It is the consistency of these choices and the ability to make them happend mechanically that transform a piece into something that tells a story.

This is really useful. That the interpretation is the sum of all the elements that contribute to that interpretation. Each of the elements needs to be a positive part of that bigger picture. It is good to be reminded of this because I rarely practise all the elements together but try to focus on improving one or two elements at any one time. It can be easy to get lost in that detail and forget about the bigger picture.

Re: Schumann's Von Fremden Ländern und Menschen [Re: KevinM] #2847417
05/11/19 06:31 PM
05/11/19 06:31 PM
Santa Fe, NM
AaronSF Offline
500 Post Club Member
AaronSF  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Santa Fe, NM
I think both Horowitz and Argerich play the "Von Fremden..." better than the two recordings you have.

Horowitz "Von Fremden..."

Argerich "Von Fremden..."

Give these live performances a listen and see what you think.

August Förster 215
Re: Schumann's Von Fremden Ländern und Menschen [Re: AaronSF] #2847520
05/12/19 11:30 AM
05/12/19 11:30 AM
Midwest USA
Stubbie Offline
Gold Subscriber
Stubbie  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Midwest USA
Originally Posted by AaronSF
I think both Horowitz and Argerich play the "Von Fremden..." better than the two recordings you have.

I like them better, yes. The middle voice should neither shrink to a whisper nor assert itself to the same level as the other two voices.

[Linked Image]
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams
Re: Schumann's Von Fremden Ländern und Menschen [Re: AaronSF] #2847542
05/12/19 12:46 PM
05/12/19 12:46 PM
Sheffield, UK
K
KevinM Offline OP
KevinM  Offline OP
K

Sheffield, UK
Originally Posted by AaronSF

The quality of the Horowitz recording results in the detail of the piece being lost. What I did really love was how far he went pianissimo after the rit.

I prefer this Argerich "Von Fremden..." which is beautiful and to me captures the piece pretty much perfectly, and significantly better than the concert encore recordings. How I wish I had a little of her talent.

Re: Schumann's Von Fremden Ländern und Menschen [Re: KevinM] #2847549
05/12/19 01:12 PM
05/12/19 01:12 PM
Sheffield, UK
K
KevinM Offline OP
KevinM  Offline OP
K

Sheffield, UK
My recording from today. I'm pleased with it while also recognising there are still significant issues. My nemesis is still defeating me which is the support is way too loud. Most of my super slow practise is towards quietening the support. My rits are too mechanical, I'm not feeling them so I am playing them as directed but I am not fitting them into the rhythm of the piece and as a result they are lacking. A few ghost notes and I need better regulation. I don't need to play it any faster than I did for this recording, so everything from here on in is about polish.

I feel like I am being my teacher to myself. Complementing me, but then highlighting where I can do better. But right now I'm feeling happy.

Von Fremden Ländern und Menschen

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  BB Player 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Two video from the Mr. Ko Segawa
by Vlad Ants. 06/26/19 04:35 AM
TOO FUNNY: has this been staged?😆
by Norbert. 06/26/19 01:39 AM
Kawai CN37 now or wait for the CN39?
by xelfer. 06/26/19 12:21 AM
Recording piano pieces
by Henri2106. 06/25/19 11:41 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics192,716
Posts2,842,110
Members93,715
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission