Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
62 registered members (camperbc, barbaram, almo82, Boboulus, aphexdisklavier, Calavera, Animisha, Ankee, Abdol, 14 invisible), 833 guests, and 494 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: What exactly is cocktail piano as opposed to jazz piano? [Re: Docbop] #2845993 05/07/19 05:37 AM
ClsscLib Offline

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Docbop
Cocktail piano has *nothing* to do with real Jazz. Cocktail piano is like what used to be called Easy Listening music it's fluffy background music.

That’s an overgeneralization.

There is a range of repertoire, style, and skills among working pianists who play cocktail gigs. Some do play real jazz tunes and material that is hardly “fluffy.”

There’s really no need to stoop to unnecessary and inaccurate sweeping pejorative characterizations about real musicians who are working hard to make people happy through music.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: What exactly is cocktail piano as opposed to jazz piano? [Re: pianolearnerstride] #2846003 05/07/19 06:37 AM
N
Nahum Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by ClsscLib
Cocktail piano has *nothing* to do with real Jazz. Cocktail piano is like what used to be called Easy Listening music it's fluffy background music.

”

There’s really no need to stoop to unnecessary and inaccurate sweeping pejorative characterizations about real musicians who are working hard to make people happy through music.

+1

Re: What exactly is cocktail piano as opposed to jazz piano? [Re: ClsscLib] #2846005 05/07/19 06:39 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member

Well said! thumb

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: What exactly is cocktail piano as opposed to jazz piano? [Re: pianolearnerstride] #2846019 05/07/19 07:47 AM
M
Michael P Walsh Offline
M
I refer to it as accessible (for your average person in the street) jazz. I'm sure that's not the only interpretation of the term. I'm somewhat of a hardened classical guy (beginner pianist though) but I'm very fond of the cocktail style, to the extent that I'm heading that way in my own playing.

Re: What exactly is cocktail piano as opposed to jazz piano? [Re: Michael P Walsh] #2846031 05/07/19 08:19 AM
ClsscLib Offline

3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Michael P Walsh
I refer to it as accessible (for your average person in the street) jazz. I'm sure that's not the only interpretation of the term. I'm somewhat of a hardened classical guy (beginner pianist though) but I'm very fond of the cocktail style, to the extent that I'm heading that way in my own playing.

That seems to me a much fairer way to put it.

In the classical music world -- where I've spent a lot of time -- comparing "light classical" or "pops" to traditional classical music doesn't have the same pejorative relationship as that which exists regarding "easy listening" vs "jazz."

Some music played by good pianists doing cocktail gigs is jazz-based, but other tunes are from shows, the GAS, or popular music. (And great jazz musicians, of course, often tap shows, the GAS, and popular music as sources for indubitably great jazz interpretations.)

I consider a good pianist doing these gigs as always worth listening to, even though many in the room may not be doing active listening.

[Linked Image]

Re: What exactly is cocktail piano as opposed to jazz piano? [Re: ClsscLib] #2846033 05/07/19 08:21 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Some music played by good pianists doing cocktail gigs is jazz-based, but other tunes are from shows, the GAS, or popular music. I consider a good pianist doing these gigs as always worth listening to, even though many in the room may not be doing active listening.

This is a great point and probably contributes to the lack of "definition" around what is "cocktail piano." I've been in restaurants and piano bars where the cocktail pianist was definitely not playing jazz - for example, they'd play showtunes, which has about as much relation to jazz as Chopin would.

But in the end, it's only a name. For some people, it's possible "accessible jazz" does include showtunes / GAS, or maybe even rock standards. The average man on the street can't be expected to be too precise in matters such as this.

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: What exactly is cocktail piano as opposed to jazz piano? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2846034 05/07/19 08:28 AM
ClsscLib Offline

3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Some music played by good pianists doing cocktail gigs is jazz-based, but other tunes are from shows, the GAS, or popular music. I consider a good pianist doing these gigs as always worth listening to, even though many in the room may not be doing active listening.

...I've been in restaurants and piano bars where the cocktail pianist was definitely not playing jazz - for example, they'd play showtunes, which has about as much relation to jazz as Chopin would....

Gershwin, Jerome Kern, Harold Arlen, and others wrote a lot of show tunes that were awfully close to being jazz compositions (and that formed the foundation of the GAS). Needless to say, even a lot of show tunes that clearly are not jazz music have been the basis for great jazz interpretations. That's also true even for some top 40-type popular music.

[Linked Image]

Re: What exactly is cocktail piano as opposed to jazz piano? [Re: pianolearnerstride] #2846035 05/07/19 08:31 AM
ClsscLib Offline

3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member
....All of which confirms to me the wisdom of those two great Ellington observations:

There are only two kinds of music -- good music and the other kind; and

If it sounds good, it is good.

[Linked Image]

Re: What exactly is cocktail piano as opposed to jazz piano? [Re: pianolearnerstride] #2846087 05/07/19 12:00 PM
Simon_b Offline
Hi

No necessarily an answer to the OP, but my 10p worth.

Bottom line cocktail Piano is mainly background music, but it can still be Jazz Piano, played with taste and restraint.

Having done a bit myself, to a very low standard, many years ago, I used to mix it up. I would play 'Charade' with flowery arpeggios and frequently got compliments from a lovely waitress at the Restaurant. Then I might play a slow blues and follow that with a Jazz standard and improvise a bit. Mind you I'm not a proper Jazz pianist, and I never took chances and stayed well within my own safe limits. I never played any classical when I was doing it, simply because I had nothing in my repertoire then. If I had, I certainly might have played some Bach or Chopin. An old guy once tipped me £5 after I had played "Ain't Misbehavin'" and said "that reminded me of the old days when I used to listen to Fats Waller". I should add I can't play like Fats Waller.... at all!

The fact that some elements of Jazz Piano, such as George Shearing's locked hands technique (though not his invention), have become part of the cocktail Pianists armory shows there is a link. But that same cocktail Pianist might also play some Chopin, some Beatles tunes etc etc.

So in my view the best cocktail pianists are vastly under-rated. They may or may not be Jazz Pianists, but they are very versatile and lets face it they are professional musicians trying to earn a living, so they should have our support. Sadly the term seems to be used in a derogatory way sometimes. It shouldn't be!

Cheers

Simon

Simon
Yamaha CLP535
Vox Continental 73

Play what you enjoy listening to, listen to what you enjoy playing!

Re: What exactly is cocktail piano as opposed to jazz piano? [Re: ClsscLib] #2846099 05/07/19 12:41 PM
D
Docbop Offline
D

That’s an overgeneralization.

There is a range of repertoire, style, and skills among working pianists who play cocktail gigs. Some do play real jazz tunes and material that is hardly “fluffy.”

I am very accurate in what I'm saying like most you don't know the difference between real Jazz and Jazz as a style of music. Real Jazz is an approach to playing, in fact it doesn't even have to be what you call Jazz it all about pushing boundaries constantly exploring. Too many people think rolling eighth notes and playing extended chords makes something Jazz it doesn't.

Oh well enjoy yourselves I'm outta here.

Re: What exactly is cocktail piano as opposed to jazz piano? [Re: pianolearnerstride] #2846136 05/07/19 02:56 PM
ClsscLib Offline

3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member
Whatevs.

[Linked Image]

Re: What exactly is cocktail piano as opposed to jazz piano? [Re: pianolearnerstride] #2846699 05/09/19 07:50 AM
ClsscLib Offline

3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member
Speaking of accessible jazz vs. not so much, I first saw these folks, The Art Ensemble of Chicago, perform in Chicago in 1971. I saw them a few times later on in NYC. No one would accuse them of selling out to accessibility: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/01/...nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=270993150509

[Linked Image]

Re: What exactly is cocktail piano as opposed to jazz piano? [Re: ClsscLib] #2846831 05/09/19 02:56 PM
ClsscLib Offline

3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member
Speaking of accessible jazz vs. not so much, I first saw these folks, The Art Ensemble of Chicago, perform in Chicago in 1971. I saw them a few times later on in NYC. No one would accuse them of selling out to accessibility: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/01/...nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=270993150509

I meant 1975, not 1971. Sorry.

[Linked Image]

Re: What exactly is cocktail piano as opposed to jazz piano? [Re: pianolearnerstride] #2846873 05/09/19 06:10 PM
G
Greener Offline

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member
G
It is not an "exactly" kind of thing. It is simply piano music you may hear in a lounge. Agree that it is background and not a show. So, go easy on the far out stuff. Also, recognizeable tunes go over the best. But really, anything is game. Good to know Moon River and others that are highly requested. Seems like it is it's own genre, but it really isn't.

Re: What exactly is cocktail piano as opposed to jazz piano? [Re: Docbop] #2847030 05/10/19 10:24 AM
Piano of Tasmania Offline

This is the kind of Background music I play in cocktail bars smile

My YouTube channel: A Piano of Tasmania
Re: What exactly is cocktail piano as opposed to jazz piano? [Re: Piano of Tasmania] #2847034 05/10/19 10:35 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Piano of Tasmania
This is the kind of Background music I play in cocktail bars smile

That link didn't work because there was stuff at the end of the URL. Here is your video again:

Re: What exactly is cocktail piano as opposed to jazz piano? [Re: pianolearnerstride] #2867713 07/09/19 01:50 PM
S
Sweelinck Offline
S
It is more than just a type of Jazz. I think Dave Brubeck’s Strange Meadowlark or one of Satie’s Gymnopedies or a piano arrangement of a Beatles song (other than copyright issues) can all be used easily for cocktail piano.

Login name is a tribute to Jan Pieterszoon Sweelinck, arguably the historically first great keyboard virtuoso.
Re: What exactly is cocktail piano as opposed to jazz piano? [Re: pianolearnerstride] #2868386 07/11/19 12:04 PM
malkin Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I'd say the difference is in what/how much the audience is drinking and what/how much the audience is attending to the music.

Learner
Re: What exactly is cocktail piano as opposed to jazz piano? [Re: pianolearnerstride] #2869203 07/14/19 10:07 AM
J
joggerjazz Offline
J
I sometimes start with some classical and improvise on it during dinner hour along with some standards. Later in the night more jazz and pop/rock stuff. It's always a challenge trying to play what you think they'd like to hear. What one person might like another might not. The other night I always end with a blues number which people seem to like. But one older woman said what's with the blues? and smurked. Go figure.
Here's something at the beginning of dinner hour. Sorry I hit a crack here and there as I'm playing on a console and there are lots of distractions. People are walking right by in front of the piano and trying to acknowledge them while playing can be a challenge.
Here I'm playing a medley of Piazolla's Milonga Del Angel into Satie's Gymnopedie No 1.

https://www.facebook.com/134763176572883/videos/379226556281606/

Re: What exactly is cocktail piano as opposed to jazz piano? [Re: pianolearnerstride] #2869217 07/14/19 10:30 AM
TomLC Offline
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Very nice, joggerjazz. You are certainly talented. I know it's a restaurant, but I really wanted that woman to lower her voice. smirk

[Linked Image]

Novice with a Novus.....?
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
Christmas Ornaments Music Theme
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Garittan CFX questions
by idfpiano - 12/10/19 01:11 AM
Bass Bridge Replacement- Can't find supplier for wood
by Rick_Parks - 12/09/19 09:22 PM
Steinway grands and Yamaha uprights
by WeakLeftHand - 12/09/19 03:32 PM
Garritan CFX dropouts when used as VST
by stamkorg - 12/09/19 12:57 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,587
Posts2,900,205
Members95,196
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission