2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, 12 invisible), 1,815 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Lady Bird
Hiring a technician will also be a bit of an education, if you are able to go with the technician.You could get to learn a bit more about the
technical side of pianos.
Buying a used piano is perhaps more tricky than buying new.
I say this because of my own bad experience when buying a used piano.It was not even an old piano (made in 2012)Fortunately we were able to return the piano to the dealer.
So in this process of buying a piano try to learn as much as possible.

+1 Very sound advice. Try to tag along and learn as much as you can from the piano technician.

[Linked Image]
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
+2 for tagging along with the piano tech! Considering you’re thinking of digging into retirement funds for a piano, it’s a pretty big deal.
But don’t freak out about having to buy the perfect piano at this point. Many of us grew up learning on some small upright that was NEVER voiced or regulated. I only got to play a grand at recitals. Your son should just love the piano you buy him after playing on a small keyboard. Even if it’s not the perfect choice, your son should be delighted. And he’s a blessed/lucky young man to have a father so concerned about his future musical studies. Best Wishes on your endeavor.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by j&j
+2 for tagging along with the piano tech! Considering you’re thinking of digging into retirement funds for a piano, it’s a pretty big deal.
But don’t freak out about having to buy the perfect piano at this point. Many of us grew up learning on some small upright that was NEVER voiced or regulated. I only got to play a grand at recitals. Your son should just love the piano you buy him after playing on a small keyboard. Even if it’s not the perfect choice, your son should be delighted. And he’s a blessed/lucky young man to have a father so concerned about his future musical studies. Best Wishes on your endeavor.

+3 smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
R
OP Offline
R
Update:

At this time we're no longer perusing the model L, it's more piano than my son needs and while a beautiful piece of art we feel it's best to continue our search.

I will say I've learned so much which will help me continue searching with more confidence, and am glad I joined to forum and am grateful for all of you who've taken the time to chime in, THANK YOU ALL!

I will post updates as we continue this journey, cheers!

RS

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

RS -

You've made a wise decision. thumb

We're rooting for you and look forward to your updates !!

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
R
OP Offline
R
Good day everyone, I have an update!

I believe we found a piano! We decided to keep our search to local reputable stores so we have a warranty and trade-up value and have found a 1999 Young Chang PG-175 Pramberger in pristine condition for a VERY reasonable price (More than half of retail). You can tell the piano was barely played based on the condition of the hammers, and has that nice full sound I'm after. Also, the store is a YC dealer so any need for warranty repair should be easily handled.

I'm awaiting a full tune on it and a tech review but am confident no issues will be found (All the help and info I've gained here have helped significantly!). So my question is, based on research here mostly is:

It's a good thing it was built in 1999 as that confirms it's Korean built (vs China) but bad because of built quality inconsistencies at that time. Is this definitely true and if so what should me and my Tech be looking for when it's checked?

Here's the kicker:
My son is drawn to a small (4'10") brand new Pearl River, he says he likes it because he can easily play Solfeggietto (assuming the action on it is very light and responsive). The price is slightly less than the PG-175 and it's NEW, but that's the only thing I like about it, while not a musician I am a bit of an audiophile and I don't like the way it sounds at all. They can get me a 5'3" version of the same for slightly more than the YC but there's none in the store to hear my son play it. I doubt even the larger model will compete with the 5'9" PG-175, which already sounds really good pre-tune. I hope my son will like it as much as I do, but am I making a mistake passing on a new piano?

T
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
T
With a few exceptions (the old Baldwin model M, for example), most of us aren't too fond of grands under 5' 6-7" or so.

R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by tend to rush
With a few exceptions (the old Baldwin model M, for example), most of us aren't too fond of grands under 5' 6-7" or so.

Agreed, and funny you mention the Baldwin M as I was set on hearing my son play one and yes, it does have a nice full sound for 5'3" but it was already sold (and $1500 more than the YC). If I'm buying my kid a piano for me I have to like the way it sounds as he plays it 2 hrs a day...

I'd steer clear of the smaller Pearl River. Actually I believe it is 4'11" - not 4'10". I think your son would outgrow it fairly quickly. I owned a Korean built 2002 Weber WSG 57 that was very similar to the YC PG 175 at the time and liked it very much. If the YC checks out well, it should be a very good instrument for your son.

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by Carey
I'd steer clear of the smaller Pearl River. Actually I believe it is 4'11" - not 4'10". I think your son would outgrow it fairly quickly. I owned a Korean built 2002 Weber WSG 57 that was very similar to the YC PG 175 at the time and liked it very much. If the YC checks out well, it should be a very good instrument for your son.

Thanks Carey, my sentiments exactly, even for the 5'3".

Originally Posted by Carey

+1 thumb

A local Church I visit on occasion has a smallish Young Chang grand, smaller than the PG175 you are looking at. I've played it a few times and it sounds good and plays good to be so small. I was surprised the first time I played it. The low bass was a bit thin, but you don't play the low bass all the time, unless you like boogie-woogie like I do. smile

Good luck!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
R
OP Offline
R
The piano checks out, we'll get it next Saturday! We can't wait!

https://youtu.be/uFYbasJOS94

Originally Posted by RJ's dad
The piano checks out, we'll get it next Saturday! We can't wait!

https://youtu.be/uFYbasJOS94

Congratulations on your new Young Chang grand piano!

I watched the YT video of your son playing the piano and he's a natural! And, he seemed to enjoy it. smile

All the best!

Rick

The piano looks and sounds terrific. Great choice. Very happy for you and RJ.

CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!!!! thumb

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member
Congratulations! smile
I'm glad you found something that meets your needs.
Thanks for sharing the video of RJ playing.

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

B
B
That's wonderful! Looks and sounds like taking your time to choose has paid off handsomely. Wishing all the best to your son with his piano studies.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Congratulations. That should keep him very happy, even if not quiet!!!

Bear in mind that he'll likely need an adjustable bench, basic ones aren't particularly expensive, as it looks like he was sitting too low (though hard to tell for sure on a video). Consult with his teacher in relation to correct posture.

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Congratulations on your new piano and your son’s interest and talent. Best wishes on your son’s musical journey!

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
D
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
D
An exciting time! Congratulations

Originally Posted by backto_study_piano
Congratulations. That should keep him very happy, even if not quiet!!!

Bear in mind that he'll likely need an adjustable bench, basic ones aren't particularly expensive, as it looks like he was sitting too low (though hard to tell for sure on a video). Consult with his teacher in relation to correct posture.

Not only an adjustable bench, but ALSO a pedal extender.....

https://www.amazon.com/Topeakmart-H...J67/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_sims?ie=UTF8

These tools will improve RJ's posture and eliminate the obvious tension in his shoulders. smile

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission