Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
68 registered members (Beowulf, albydooby, Boboulus, Animisha, Ankee, Bett, astrotoy, 17 invisible), 724 guests, and 421 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Grand Piano Lid Open or Closed? [Re: Minicoop] #2383612 02/07/15 10:14 PM
laguna_greg Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I think it depends entirely on the room, the instrument, and what you're doing with it/them.

My living room is quite large and resonant, with a small but noticeable echo. It's perfect to sing in but not so good for the piano alone. My M&H AA has a really big sound despite it's comparatively small size, so it usually works better for everyone if the piano is all-the-way closed. It sounds very beautiful this way. I usually practice on it closed up as it has much more definition in that very lively room.

When I work with singers, the piano is all-the-way closed unless they are professionals with enormous voices. Then I open it to half-stick, or the balance will be off.

For recording, the piano is all the way open, the string cover removed, and moved more to the center of the room.

For teaching, I keep it all closed up. It's just better to make students work a little harder than not.

For chamber music, I have to open it when playing with two or more other instruments if only out of self defense.

I've had a couple of musical events in the house that brought in more than 50 people. It's amazing just how much sound those unmoving bags of water will soak up, so I open the lid often at half-stick just to get some projection.

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Grand Piano Lid Open or Closed? [Re: Minicoop] #2383736 02/08/15 11:33 AM
J
joe80 Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
unmoving bags of water.... hilarious

Re: Grand Piano Lid Open or Closed? [Re: Minicoop] #2846370 05/08/19 08:57 AM
J
Jt2nd Offline
J
I read half way through so-- Dust , Cats ,Heavy Lids and Going Deaf with Scales .
I now have to look up best vaccuum cleaners to keep the sound board clean .

Re: Grand Piano Lid Open or Closed? [Re: Minicoop] #2846386 05/08/19 09:33 AM
J.D. Ford Offline
I normally tell clients it's completely up to them. If the lid is propped open it's going to cause more resonance to come from the sound board. If the lid is closed it's going to be quieter. I do always tell people to take into account the acoustics of the room. The size of the room, the material of the flooring, the height of the ceilings and any other furniture that might absorb sound in the room.

I also always point out that the tone and sound it will seem different from different locations in the room. So wherever guest might be sitting on furniture I suggest sitting there while the piano is being played.

Hope that helps, JD

Re: Grand Piano Lid Open or Closed? [Re: Minicoop] #2846432 05/08/19 11:04 AM
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
4000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
4000 Post Club Member
I always have the lid up. When I bought my piano, the lid had been closed for years but the piano was still full of dust, so I decided that I would keep it up as I preferred and deal with the dust. I bought a set of tools needed to clean the inside of a piano. The dust adheres to the end, and then a use a hand held vacuum cleaner to remove the dust from the tool.

My cat jumped inside only once, satisfied his curiosity, and has stayed out

I don’t remember the name of the set that I ordered. Probably one of the techs here can provide the information
My tech Will also clean it for an extra fee.

Last edited by dogperson; 05/08/19 11:07 AM.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It’s ok to be a Work In Progress
Re: Grand Piano Lid Open or Closed? [Re: Minicoop] #2846503 05/08/19 02:22 PM
P
P W Grey Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
I'm not going to read 3 pages of posts here. In case it was not mentioned, the lid can go up for playing, but should otherwise always be down. If it is up 24/7 (ESP on the short stick) you WILL warp the lid.

I have seen lids so warped they will no longer sit anywhere near flat, and also impossible to fully close anymore.

Dust till get in whether the lid is up or down.

Pwg

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
Re: Grand Piano Lid Open or Closed? [Re: Minicoop] #2846541 05/08/19 05:19 PM
Rickster Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by P W Grey
I'm not going to read 3 pages of posts here. In case it was not mentioned, the lid can go up for playing, but should otherwise always be down. If it is up 24/7 (ESP on the short stick) you WILL warp the lid.

I have seen lids so warped they will no longer sit anywhere near flat, and also impossible to fully close anymore.

Pwg

A local Church where I was a member for many years, (met my wife there and we got married there) has a small Young Chang baby grand, 5 feet or so. It sounds and plays nice to be so small, but they keep the lid up and on the short stick. You don't need to close the lid to see the warpage, but is easy to see and is warped pretty badly. It doesn't seem to bother the pastor and congregation, so I guess it doesn't matter, if it doesn't bother them.

But you are absolutely right, Peter. The lid will warp if kept on the short stick especially for long periods of time I open the lid on full stick sometimes and close the lid with fly-lid open sometimes, depending on my mood. The dust doesn't bother me as much as it used to. Same way the warped lid on that Young Chang doesn't bother the folks at the small country Church, I suppose. smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: Grand Piano Lid Open or Closed? [Re: ando] #2846561 05/08/19 06:13 PM
K
KurtZ Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by ando
Originally Posted by jdw

Ok, I get Hierarchical Data Format, Human Development Fund, and Housing Development Fund. Thanks! (Actually I had googled it already.)

Well, ok, eventually you get to the high density fiberboard. But it's a pretty long way down.

Context, my friend, context. You must have a heck of a time with Google searches. You didn't pick anyone up for mentioning the word MDF - which is mentioned on this forum all the time.

I know it's a zombie thread but here I go on general principle. The Forum is not just for insiders and long time members nor will all members have Ando's clearly extensive experience with construction sheet goods. Offering as much clarity as we can manage as writers is just good manners towards the reader.

Relevant citations:

APA style manual:

"Some abbreviations may not be in the dictionary but appear frequently in the journal for which you are writing. Although probably well understood by many readers, these abbreviations should still be explained when first used."

And from the MLA Style Manual:

"In text, spell out most initialisms and acronyms the first time they appear, followed by the initialism or acronym in parentheses; use the initialism or acronym alone thereafter. "

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
Re: Grand Piano Lid Open or Closed? [Re: Minicoop] #2846566 05/08/19 06:55 PM
D
David-G Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
An initialism is an entirely new concept to me. I definitely haven't come across one of those before.

Re: Grand Piano Lid Open or Closed? [Re: Minicoop] #2846788 05/09/19 11:45 AM
A
astrotoy Online Content
Silver Supporter until Feb 1 2020
Online Content
Silver Supporter until Feb 1 2020
A
We keep both our grands lids closed normally. However, for special occasions we open the pianos up. When we had Jon Nakamatsu play in late April (the Rach 2 with accompanist Chris Salocks), I had set the two piano lids up in lower open position, knowing the dynamic range reached by professional pianists. Jon started by trying out the piano (he was playing our Bosie 225) and very quickly decided that he preferred the lid all the way open. I asked him why, and he said that with the lid partly down, the sound was focusing toward him too much and overwhelming him, and the lid fully up was much better, with the sound going out into the room. He also raised the lid of the Yamaha which Chris would play, since he said otherwise, the Bosie with the lid up would drown out the sound of Yamaha playing the piano reduction of the orchestra.

Boesendorfer 225 (1985)
Yamaha S400E (predecessor to CF4) Disklavier (1992)
Re: Grand Piano Lid Open or Closed? [Re: jazzyprof] #2846819 05/09/19 02:08 PM
Retsacnal Offline

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
4000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jazzyprof
Originally Posted by AJF
Not to be a smart ass, but do we need to have a thread like this every three months on piano world?

Actually we do...since I haven't yet answered the query. grin

Best thing I've read all day! thumb
And why I have otherwise not answered. wink

"If it sounds good, it is good." - Duke Ellington
P E R F O R M A N C E over p r o v e n a n c e

Re: Grand Piano Lid Open or Closed? [Re: Minicoop] #2846846 05/09/19 04:00 PM
J
Jack Knuckle Offline
J
How much of an issue is warping and does it depend on the material the lid is made of (solid wood versus MDF for instance)? Reading this thread has got me paranoid now; I'm very precious about touching anything (other than the keys) of my Bechstein Model V and the lid is so heavy, I'm fearful I might drop it if I raised and lowered it for each practice session. So it just stays up all the time, which makes the piano stand out even more in the room. I'm happy with it, but will I still be happy with that arrangement in a few years' time if the lid starts to warp under its own weight?

As the piano is a rebuild and coated in glossy black polyester I have no idea if the lid is original or not ( if new, I expect it would be made from MDF). Is there any way of finding out?

Re: Grand Piano Lid Open or Closed? [Re: Minicoop] #2846859 05/09/19 05:14 PM
Rickster Offline
Originally Posted by Jack Knuckle
How much of an issue is warping and does it depend on the material the lid is made of (solid wood versus MDF for instance)? Reading this thread has got me paranoid now; I'm very precious about touching anything (other than the keys) of my Bechstein Model V and the lid is so heavy, I'm fearful I might drop it if I raised and lowered it for each practice session. So it just stays up all the time, which makes the piano stand out even more in the room. I'm happy with it, but will I still be happy with that arrangement in a few years' time if the lid starts to warp under its own weight?

As the piano is a rebuild and coated in glossy black polyester I have no idea if the lid is original or not ( if new, I expect it would be made from MDF). Is there any way of finding out?

It's easy to tell if your grand piano lid is MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard) or the higher quality veneered plywood; the MDF will be heavier than the veneered plywood. My Baldwin R (5'8") has a relatively light lid. In fact, I've left the lid up on the tall stick on the Baldwin R for months and months. When I saw this thread had been resurrected, I checked the lid on the Baldwin R and it is as straight as an arrow; no warpage whatsoever.

The lid on my Howard/Kawai 550 (5'10") is also lighter and is made of the higher quality veneered plywood. The lid on my Yamaha C7 is fairly heavy but I figure that is due to the fact the it is just a big lid; the piano is 7'4". That is a lot of lid! I doubt it is MDF, but it too is straight as an arrow.

I've seen other grand pianos at just over 5 feet with a very heavy lid, which led me to believe it was MDF.

However, I'm no pro at determining whether a piano lid is MDF or not. But the weight is a sure indicator, in my opinion.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: Grand Piano Lid Open or Closed? [Re: Minicoop] #2846895 05/09/19 09:01 PM
P
P W Grey Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Whatever it is, whenever I am asked about the matter, I always recommend lid down when not playing. Just to be safe.

BTW, there's a device that will practically lift the lid for you. Can't remember the name presently, but it looks over the spine and hydraulically assists the lift. Great device.

Pwg

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
Re: Grand Piano Lid Open or Closed? [Re: Rickster] #2846910 05/09/19 10:49 PM
L
Lakeviewsteve Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Rickster

Pwg

A local Church where I was a member for many years, (met my wife there and we got married there) has a small Young Chang baby grand, 5 feet or so. It sounds and plays nice to be so small, but they keep the lid up and on the short stick. You don't need to close the lid to see the warpage, but is easy to see and is warped pretty badly. It doesn't seem to bother the pastor and congregation, so I guess it doesn't matter, if it doesn't bother them.

But you are absolutely right, Peter. The lid will warp if kept on the short stick especially for long periods of time I open the lid on full stick sometimes and close the lid with fly-lid open sometimes, depending on my mood. The dust doesn't bother me as much as it used to. Same way the warped lid on that Young Chang doesn't bother the folks at the small country Church, I suppose. smile

Rick

My technician works on a lot of church pianos and claims they are never taken care of and have terrible lack of humidity issues in the winter. He says the same about University pianos he works on.

Not only do I keep the hood down if I'm not playing it, I have a great vinyl / felt lined cover I keep over it all the time. A technician on here recommended this and mentioned that will also help with humidity swings.

With your church leaving the hood up all the time it sounds like it isn't well taken care of. Is that the case?

Last edited by Lakeviewsteve; 05/09/19 10:51 PM.

Bösendorfer 170
Re: Grand Piano Lid Open or Closed? [Re: P W Grey] #2846911 05/09/19 10:52 PM
A
ando Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Whatever it is, whenever I am asked about the matter, I always recommend lid down when not playing. Just to be safe.

BTW, there's a device that will practically lift the lid for you. Can't remember the name presently, but it looks over the spine and hydraulically assists the lift. Great device.

Pwg

Most of the Hailun grands come with this device from the factory. It's incredibly easy to use. All new grands should come with this device.

Re: Grand Piano Lid Open or Closed? [Re: Rickster] #2846941 05/10/19 04:44 AM
B
BigIslandGuy Offline
B
Originally Posted by Rickster
Originally Posted by Jack Knuckle

It's easy to tell if your grand piano lid is MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard) or the higher quality veneered plywood; the MDF will be heavier than the veneered plywood. My Baldwin R (5'8") has a relatively light lid. In fact, I've left the lid up on the tall stick on the Baldwin R for months and months. When I saw this thread had been resurrected, I checked the lid on the Baldwin R and it is as straight as an arrow; no warpage whatsoever.

The lid on my Howard/Kawai 550 (5'10") is also lighter and is made of the higher quality veneered plywood. The lid on my Yamaha C7 is fairly heavy but I figure that is due to the fact the it is just a big lid; the piano is 7'4". That is a lot of lid! I doubt it is MDF, but it too is straight as an arrow.

I've seen other grand pianos at just over 5 feet with a very heavy lid, which led me to believe it was MDF.

However, I'm no pro at determining whether a piano lid is MDF or not. But the weight is a sure indicator, in my opinion.

Rick

Just goes to show that if I pay attention, I can learn something every day. I was kind of wondering why my little 5'3" Story & Clark's lid was a good bit heavier than the lid on the near 7' Steinway I replaced it with. Fortunately, I almost never left the lid at half-stick, so when the Story & Clark was shipped out, the lid was still nice and flat.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Dampers on a Yamaha upright
by JuanTenorio - 12/06/19 08:44 PM
Another mental health thread: What if....
by malkin - 12/06/19 08:43 PM
Telecom Beethoven Competition
by pianoloverus - 12/06/19 08:36 PM
Note reading: low to high?
by DutchTea - 12/06/19 07:38 PM
Chopin 10/8 —Do I have idiots ffor fingers
by Coda9 - 12/06/19 07:03 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,538
Posts2,899,246
Members95,167
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission