Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
127 registered members (AssociateX, anotherscott, ACSlater, B P 7, amad23, AZNpiano, Animisha, 40 invisible), 2,528 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
How does a newbie test a piano effectively? #2846575
05/08/19 08:42 PM
05/08/19 08:42 PM
W
WeakLeftHand Offline OP
WeakLeftHand  Offline OP
W

I’m shopping for a new digital or acoustic piano (I haven’t decided yet). I can only play simple pieces, like the ones from beginner method books. How can I effectively test a piano at a showroom with so little knowledge and skill (and without totally embarrassing myself)? How does a person with so little experience even know what to look for? Thanks.

Last edited by WeakLeftHand; 05/08/19 08:49 PM.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: How does a newbie test a piano effectively? [Re: WeakLeftHand] #2846581
05/08/19 09:09 PM
05/08/19 09:09 PM
P
Pianoperformance Online content
Pianoperformance  Online Content
P

Bring a friend who plays; ask your teacher. The DP forum was great resource when I upgraded. My friend told me I need to focus on touch [my lessons are on an acoustic upright]. My first piano was tHe mid range Yamaha CLP, which was fine as a starter. My teacher would love that I get an acoustic, which is challenging as I live in an apartment.

If you can house an acoustic, I would recommend that is your first choice.

Dream came true : playing the piano
Kawai CS11/Yamaha Arius 161
lessons: 150 hours + counting
Re: How does a newbie test a piano effectively? [Re: Pianoperformance] #2846588
05/08/19 10:12 PM
05/08/19 10:12 PM
upstate NY
zillybug Offline
zillybug  Offline

upstate NY
When I decided to upgrade to a better piano which was an acoustic grand, I tested some out on
my own. When I knew where I was going to buy it I asked my teacher to go with me. We both played the one I was considering and played a duet on it. At that point I was starting to play Chopin Nocturnes and could not stand the tinny sound of my old piano. Some of it is individual preference as to the sound. I like a more mellow sound while my friend prefers a brighter sound.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Re: How does a newbie test a piano effectively? [Re: WeakLeftHand] #2846590
05/08/19 10:43 PM
05/08/19 10:43 PM
Toronto, Canada
T
thepianoplayer416 Offline
500 Post Club Member
thepianoplayer416  Offline
500 Post Club Member
T

Toronto, Canada
Normally I can ask the sales staff in the store to explain the differences between keyboards. I've come across many of them who know a few tunes to do demos in front of you so you can hear the differences. Otherwise you have to rely on the few pieces you know already and just repeat the same pieces from 1 keyboard to another.

Initially you are mostly interested in the action of the keys that feels right when your hands play on them and a realistic piano sound. You're just listening to hear whether a keyboard has a nice piano sound unless you are looking for synthesized effects. My keyboard has limited sound effects but I rely on the piano & organ sound mostly because I play a lot of church hymns.

Re: How does a newbie test a piano effectively? [Re: WeakLeftHand] #2846616
05/09/19 12:27 AM
05/09/19 12:27 AM
Kitsap County, WA
Chrispy Online content
Gold Subscriber
Chrispy  Online Content
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member

Kitsap County, WA
I think the suggestion of bringing your teacher along is a good one, I imagine most would be willing to (I would pay them.) Make sure you listen well and choose one that your teacher likes, you like the sound of and you can afford.

Last edited by Chrispy; 05/09/19 12:27 AM.

𝒀𝒂𝒎𝒂𝒉𝒂 𝑨𝒗𝒂𝒏𝒕 𝑮𝒓𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝑵1𝑿
Re: How does a newbie test a piano effectively? [Re: WeakLeftHand] #2846622
05/09/19 12:54 AM
05/09/19 12:54 AM
Florida
dogperson Offline

Silver Subscriber
dogperson  Offline

Silver Subscriber
4000 Post Club Member

Florida
WeakLeftHand
You should never consider that you will embarrass yourself as a beginner looking for a new piano. There is one important thing: you hold the checkbook and therefore the power. As a beginner, play your music with simple melodies and ask yourself if you personally like the sound, and do you personally like how it feels. Play the same music from piano to piano: something loud, something quiet. You can also just play the white keys from low to high and listen.

Choosing a piano certainly involves quality of the piano... but it is also a very personal decision about what makes you smile to play it. If we all liked exactly the same sound and touch, there would not be so many choices. Play a lot of them in your price range. The one you buy will be in your house for YOU to play... buy one you will enjoy. Other opinions are great., but don’t dismiss your own opinion as not being worthy 😊

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It’s ok to be a Work In Progress
Re: How does a newbie test a piano effectively? [Re: WeakLeftHand] #2846643
05/09/19 02:39 AM
05/09/19 02:39 AM
Sheffield, UK
K
KevinM Offline
KevinM  Offline
K

Sheffield, UK
I agree with dogperson, don’t worry about embarrassing yourself. You are spending money and need to make the best choice you can. I know how you feel but it is something when I did this for myself was too important. I took my sheet music with me, and tried to practise my pieces on different pianos.

Part of my reasoning for not spending much early on is that my ability to judge what is good is limited. As my skill and experience improves my ability to judge what is a good DP for me improves. With time and proof to myself I am in this for the long haul I will buy an expensive DP but I am not there yet.

Learning Mendelssohn Song without Words Op. 19 No. 2, Schumann Bunte Blätter Stücklein Op. 99 No. 1. Jensen Sehnsucht Op. 8 No. 5. Schumann Kinderszenen Op15 No1, Von Fremden Ländern und Menschen.
Digital piano: Casio Celviano AP-470. Headphones: Superlux HD681 EVO
Re: How does a newbie test a piano effectively? [Re: WeakLeftHand] #2846646
05/09/19 03:22 AM
05/09/19 03:22 AM
Australia
E
earlofmar Offline
3000 Post Club Member
earlofmar  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
E

Australia
If your buying a digital it is easy to get a feel for the piano by user reviews on the web. Bearing that in mind, it has to feel and sound right to you no matter what others have said.

When I bought my acoustic I took a long time to decide as I didn't have much experience. I tried many piano over months as I was not in no hurry, and even although I can't play anything great I could tell instantly by the touch or the sound whether I liked it or not. So I would advise the same, try as many pianos as you can and trust your own intuition.

Problems with piano are 90% psychological, the other 10% is in your head.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: How does a newbie test a piano effectively? [Re: WeakLeftHand] #2846652
05/09/19 04:02 AM
05/09/19 04:02 AM
Italy
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
sinophilia  Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

1000 Post Club Member

Italy
I had only been playing for 1 year and a half when I bought my acoustic, and I was super embarrassed because I didn't have much to show, but the dealer himself was an accomplished pianist (as they often are) and demonstrated his second-hand uprights to me. He also gave me his opinions, which I think in the end were well-grounded and impartial, and I ended up buying a very good piano.

Six years later I'm starting to think that I should buy a grand piano, and I'm still super embarrassed when I try one, also because I can't play much from memory. I'd love to have a short routine, like chromatic scales, chord progressions, runs, etc. that I could play with confidence and that would show the qualities of a piano. I'd be grateful if anyone could suggest one.

Diana & Wally - Yamaha W110BW
To create a beautiful sound, one must imagine it at first and then learn to produce fluid physical motions that breathe life into music. (Shirley Kirsten)
http://soundcloud.com/sinophilia - http://youtube.com/sinophilia
Re: How does a newbie test a piano effectively? [Re: WeakLeftHand] #2846658
05/09/19 04:33 AM
05/09/19 04:33 AM
M
meaculpa Offline
meaculpa  Offline
M

The Piano Shop staff usually are able to play piano and will give you a demonstration in the store. He will tell you about the piano, weighted keys, etc..
See if you like the sound, try out maybe two or three makes.
When I bought my Yamaha, the store person, who is a pianist demonstrated for me, and I chose the one I liked, whithin my budget by a good one.

Re: How does a newbie test a piano effectively? [Re: sinophilia] #2846664
05/09/19 06:08 AM
05/09/19 06:08 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
Tyrone Slothrop  Offline

5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by sinophilia
I had only been playing for 1 year and a half when I bought my acoustic, and I was super embarrassed because I didn't have much to show, but the dealer himself was an accomplished pianist (as they often are) and demonstrated his second-hand uprights to me. He also gave me his opinions, which I think in the end were well-grounded and impartial, and I ended up buying a very good piano.

Six years later I'm starting to think that I should buy a grand piano, and I'm still super embarrassed when I try one, also because I can't play much from memory. I'd love to have a short routine, like chromatic scales, chord progressions, runs, etc. that I could play with confidence and that would show the qualities of a piano. I'd be grateful if anyone could suggest one.

Why not just bring your sheet music to the piano store? Testing a piano is not like giving a recital! smile Why the need to play from memory?

I'd think that when buying a piano, playing some real music from sheet music or books, will allow you to better determine the musical character of the piano better than playing chromatic scales will.... unless you are a lover of how chromatic scales sound wink

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: How does a newbie test a piano effectively? [Re: WeakLeftHand] #2846669
05/09/19 06:33 AM
05/09/19 06:33 AM
T
tend to rush Offline
tend to rush  Offline
T

Check out Piano Buying Basics in The Piano Buyer - see the the link in the column on the left.

Re: How does a newbie test a piano effectively? [Re: WeakLeftHand] #2846687
05/09/19 08:22 AM
05/09/19 08:22 AM
Southeast USA
P
Progman Offline

Progman  Offline

P

Southeast USA
Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand
I’m shopping for a new digital or acoustic piano (I haven’t decided yet). I can only play simple pieces, like the ones from beginner method books. How can I effectively test a piano at a showroom with so little knowledge and skill (and without totally embarrassing myself)? How does a person with so little experience even know what to look for? Thanks.

I was exactly in your position, having only about 2 months from start. In my case, I bought the ES100 digital before I started to have something (based on reviews), but quickly realized after playing my teachers Grand, and a friends upright, that I enjoyed the vibrations from an acoustic and had to get one. I took my method book with me to 4 different piano stores that had used consoles and played the same few pieces I could do on 20 or so different consoles (I stayed away from private sales at this point). Every store was happy to just let me go at it on my own and would answer questions at the end. After trying about 10 or so pianos I could distinguish ones I liked from a touch and sound standpoint. And my perspective was to find something that would be good for 2 years until I had more skill to figure out what I really liked before I go after something more expensive.

I was just about to go with one store that offered a 5 year trade-up guarantee (this was a used yamaha M series console), when I found a local turner in my area had the Baldwin I ended up getting. Good Luck!

Progman
Baldwin Console + Kawai ES100
Alfreds bk 1 + Teacher
Long Live ELP
Re: How does a newbie test a piano effectively? [Re: WeakLeftHand] #2846827
05/09/19 03:49 PM
05/09/19 03:49 PM
Moscow, Russia
I
Iaroslav Vasiliev Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Iaroslav Vasiliev  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I

Moscow, Russia
I would recommend you not to trust yourself in that matter. Your preferences regarding touch and sound will likely change several times in the upcoming years. So bring a teacher or a friend or a paid pianist with you to make a better choice. Just make sure that the sound of the piano does not irritate you, this is most important.

Re: How does a newbie test a piano effectively? [Re: WeakLeftHand] #2846833
05/09/19 04:06 PM
05/09/19 04:06 PM
Toronto, Canada
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T

Toronto, Canada
My first keyboard was over 10 years ago. The shop is just down the road and the owner was in my high school music class. At the time I did not have much playing experience or a teacher but I knew what I wanted: something portable with a record feature. I was willing to settle for a Yamaha PSR series keyboard with just 61 soft-touch keys. The keyboard did have was a 3.5 floppy disk and record songs in either .PSR or .MID (for MIDI) format. My former classmate played the cello but his main instrument is guitar so he couldn't help much. The fact that the recording disk would become obsolete and my old recordings would not be retrievable didn't bother me. Nowadays, keyboards allow you to plug in a USB stick for recording.

The only regret was playing extra for the ability to record before I have reasonable recording devices or a good mic. Otherwise it was the best thing I could get for my budget at the time.

Re: How does a newbie test a piano effectively? [Re: WeakLeftHand] #2846843
05/09/19 04:54 PM
05/09/19 04:54 PM
W
WeakLeftHand Offline OP
WeakLeftHand  Offline OP
W

Thanks folks! Lots of advice and encouragement. I should take my time and try as many different pianos/digitals as I can. And find someone who can help me with my search.

Re: How does a newbie test a piano effectively? [Re: Iaroslav Vasiliev] #2846855
05/09/19 05:32 PM
05/09/19 05:32 PM
Sheffield, UK
K
KevinM Offline
KevinM  Offline
K

Sheffield, UK
Originally Posted by Iaroslav Vasiliev
I would recommend you not to trust yourself in that matter. Your preferences regarding touch and sound will likely change several times in the upcoming years. So bring a teacher or a friend or a paid pianist with you to make a better choice. Just make sure that the sound of the piano does not irritate you, this is most important.

I think this is a good argument for spending the minimum possible to start with. Spend enough to make sure the action is good enough not to contribute to a poor playing style and the DP sounds good enough so you can enjoy hearing yourself play.

You will upgrade sooner but you will have more confidence in choosing the upgrade then and then sell your old one.

Learning Mendelssohn Song without Words Op. 19 No. 2, Schumann Bunte Blätter Stücklein Op. 99 No. 1. Jensen Sehnsucht Op. 8 No. 5. Schumann Kinderszenen Op15 No1, Von Fremden Ländern und Menschen.
Digital piano: Casio Celviano AP-470. Headphones: Superlux HD681 EVO
Re: How does a newbie test a piano effectively? [Re: WeakLeftHand] #2846882
05/09/19 07:49 PM
05/09/19 07:49 PM
*sigh* Salt Lake City
malkin Offline
5000 Post Club Member
malkin  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

*sigh* Salt Lake City
Embrace your beginnerhood!
Easier said than done, I know, but bite the bullet and play enough and enough pianos to get over it a little bit. You'll start to notice differences and you'll notice what you like and what you don't like. For me, the "don't like" category was often evident after about 2 notes.

Learner
Re: How does a newbie test a piano effectively? [Re: WeakLeftHand] #2846894
05/09/19 09:52 PM
05/09/19 09:52 PM
Nebraska, USA
E
enw10 Offline
enw10  Offline
E

Nebraska, USA
I just did this! I took my beginner method books and a set of headphones and tested everything I could within my budget. I don't know a lot about pianos, but I know what sounds and feels good to me. It's actually not very difficult to weed through all the options when they're in front of you. It's much more complicated when you're speculating based on online descriptions or what other people are saying about them.

(edited to add: I didn't mean that YOU are speculating... that's what I was doing, and it was complicating my life)

Last edited by enw10; 05/09/19 09:54 PM.
Re: How does a newbie test a piano effectively? [Re: WeakLeftHand] #2846914
05/09/19 11:59 PM
05/09/19 11:59 PM
Toronto, Canada
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T

Toronto, Canada
The last thing you might consider is how often you want to change your keyboard. A lot of parents want their kids to take music lessons but not sure how long they would be playing might start off with a 61-key. By the time you get to a 76-key model you may be satisfied for a few years or you may want to upgrade to an 88.

Every few years, the action gets better and the sound gets better. At the high end you can get a Casio Celviano GP-500 which is a hybrid with 3 grand piano sounds or a Yamaha P-515 or Avant Grand. Especially when you get to serious playing, you may want to spend more in the beginning for something that you can keep for at least 5 years than having a low end model like a Yamaha P-45 and upgrade later. The sound of a P-45 isn't the best but you get 88 keys for a much lower price than the P515. A keyboard stand and the foot pedals should be part of the package.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai RX-1A vs Kawai GL20
by Rstles. 07/15/19 10:49 AM
Advice needed: make Schimmel sp182t silent?
by pianogabe. 07/15/19 09:41 AM
I didn't know that I play too slow and hesitate too.
by PianoWVBob. 07/15/19 08:09 AM
Don't Panic! One month to Recital 55!
by Sam S. 07/15/19 06:51 AM
Celtic Alleluia sheet music
by Kayworld. 07/14/19 11:02 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,018
Posts2,848,692
Members93,889
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission