2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
31 members (Animisha, admodios, busa, Cominut, drumour, Foxtrot3, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 4 invisible), 1,175 guests, and 275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Many options can get rid of ground loops :
1/ plain MIDI (DIN5) instead of a direct connection (MIDI plugs are associated with opto isolators).

2/ Ground loop filter on the audio path (Behringer HD400 or similar filter).

3/ Ground loop filter on the USB link (https://www.amazon.com/Audio-iDefender3-0-Ground-Loop-Eliminator/dp/B01N3XKOLG)

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I don’t believe there’s ground loop on using USB cable only which is what we suggested. Unless you decided to use both USB and audio which doesn’t make any sense.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
S
OP Offline
S

Originally Posted by Frédéric L
1/ plain MIDI (DIN5) instead of a direct connection (MIDI plugs are associated with opto isolators).

3/ Ground loop filter on the USB link (https://www.amazon.com/Audio-iDefender3-0-Ground-Loop-Eliminator/dp/B01N3XKOLG)

how would the Behringer work? would it need to be connected between the DP and PC along with the normal USB connection?
this stuff sort of confuses me haha

[Insert sophisticated and meaningful quote here]
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by sforzandissimo

how would the Behringer work? would it need to be connected between the DP and PC along with the normal USB connection?

sforzandissimo, can you address CyberGene's point? When you heard the noise/buzzing, was there only one cable in total between PC and DP - that is, just the USB cable only? Or did you have actually more than one cable running from PC to your piano?

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I thought there was audio and USB linked...but only USB which carry both MIDI+audio. Then most of my proposition are not adequate.

A ground loop with only USB would be surpriseing since there is only one link. If there is a ground loop, it is with USB and the power supply.

Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

sforzandissimo, can you address CyberGene's point? When you heard the noise/buzzing, was there only one cable in total between PC and DP - that is, just the USB cable only? Or did you have actually more than one cable running from PC to your piano?

there was the USB and audio cable

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

Well that explains the ground loop humming/buzzing!

As CyberGene mentioned above, with the N1UX, you should be able to get it working with your PC while using just the USB cable alone, and no audio cable at all. Just one single cable between PC and piano. This should make the buzzing go away entirely as there will no longer be a ground loop.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
S
OP Offline
S

Well that explains the ground loop humming/buzzing!

As CyberGene mentioned above, with the N1UX, you should be able to get it working with your PC while using just the USB cable alone, and no audio cable at all. Just one single cable between PC and piano. This should make the buzzing go away entirely as there will no longer be a ground loop.

i dont think it worked when i did only the USB, pianoteq wouldnt recognise the piano to be used as an output for sound, only an input. unless this needs to be configured outside of pianoteq?
may have to try it again then, see if pianoteq changes its mind

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
On the download page of Yamaha, there are two drivers for NU1X : USB-MIDI and Yamaha Steinberg USB.

Only the second enables an audio link. It should add an ASIO driver which can be selected by Pianoteq.

S
OP Offline
S
On the download page of Yamaha, there are two drivers for NU1X : USB-MIDI and Yamaha Steinberg USB.

Only the second enables an audio link. It should add an ASIO driver which can be selected by Pianoteq.

right, so the Steinberg is downloaded onto the computer which is recognised and allows an ASIO driver to show up?
thanks, i'll give it a go

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission