Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
141 registered members (Animisha, Amedeus, Abdol, apianostudent, anotherscott, anamnesis, 88keezy, ando, akc42, 35 invisible), 1,763 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Kawai MP11SE Headphone Static? [Re: TylerMorgan1] #2846026
05/07/19 09:11 AM
05/07/19 09:11 AM
Pennsylvania
D
dmd Offline
4000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
D

Pennsylvania
Instead of planning to ship it back ….

If you can determine that the MP11SE is the problem ….

You might try asking the dealer if they will replace the one you have.

I have had dealers do that.

That way, you keep the one you have until you get the replacement and are not without your "baby" for an extended period.

Don

Kawai MP11SE, Edifier R1850DB Active Bookshelf Speakers, Yamaha HS8S Powered Subwoofer, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq and numerous other VSTs
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: Kawai MP11SE Headphone Static? [Re: Kawai James] #2846262
05/07/19 11:11 PM
05/07/19 11:11 PM
Punta Alta, Buenos Aires, Arge...
M
Marcos Daniel Offline
Marcos Daniel  Offline
M

Originally Posted by Kawai James

Also, I notice that you have the Line In volume fader set to approximately 50% - please try setting this fader to the minimum level. Do you still hear the noise?

x

+1

with the the line in fader at 50% I would expect (at least) to hear the typical 50Hz (or 60Hz) noise from not connected and amplified line in...

Pianoteq / Kawai CL 35 & MP11 / Old 1920's Upright Zimmerman
Re: Kawai MP11SE Headphone Static? [Re: Marcos Daniel] #2846266
05/07/19 11:29 PM
05/07/19 11:29 PM
Pennsylvania
D
dmd Offline
4000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
D

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by Marcos Daniel

Also, I notice that you have the Line In volume fader set to approximately 50% - please try setting this fader to the minimum level. Do you still hear the noise?

x

+1

with the the line in fader at 50% I would expect (at least) to hear the typical 50Hz (or 60Hz) noise from not connected and amplified line in...

I do not understand why you would expect that.

I have my phone and volume faders at midmark and I have nothing attached to my INPUT connections and I can push my line-in fader up and down and I do not hear anything through my headphone connection.

Don

Kawai MP11SE, Edifier R1850DB Active Bookshelf Speakers, Yamaha HS8S Powered Subwoofer, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq and numerous other VSTs
Re: Kawai MP11SE Headphone Static? [Re: TylerMorgan1] #2846275
05/08/19 12:05 AM
05/08/19 12:05 AM
Hamamatsu, Japan
Kawai James Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Kawai James  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Hamamatsu, Japan
dmd, yes this is the correct behaviour. The Line In input should be silent when no devices are connected, however I wished to rule out all possibilities, just in case. This is also why I recommended disconnecting any other devices (including USB etc.), in order to start with a defined base configuration.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

"I agree that the User Manual is very good." - arc7urus, March 2019
Re: Kawai MP11SE Headphone Static? [Re: Kawai James] #2846326
05/08/19 07:36 AM
05/08/19 07:36 AM
Pennsylvania
D
dmd Offline
4000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
D

Pennsylvania
dmd, yes this is the correct behaviour. The Line In input should be silent when no devices are connected, however I wished to rule out all possibilities, just in case. This is also why I recommended disconnecting any other devices (including USB etc.), in order to start with a defined based configuration.

Absolutely. I agree.

In fact, you could even disconnect the pedal unit. I do not believe it is necessary during this debugging process.

Don

Re: Kawai MP11SE Headphone Static? [Re: TylerMorgan1] #2846365
05/08/19 09:35 AM
05/08/19 09:35 AM
T
TylerMorgan1 Offline OP
TylerMorgan1  Offline OP
T

Hey guys,

The line in volume level is usually at zero, but it just happened to be up a bit at the time of my video since I was practicing with a song. It doesn't appear to have an impact on the static. I also typically play with nothing connected except the footpedal and the headphones, so I don't believe it is an issue with any of the USB connections.

I have decided to experiment a little. I ordered the following two items from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R3R413D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0010D0HO0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The first is a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter that is not the typical one piece design, but instead is a longer cord attached to what appears to be a standard 1/4 jack. I'm thinking if there is an issue with my 1/4 to 1/8 adapters, perhaps an adapter that takes a different approach may have better results.

The second item is a stereo breakout cable that will allow me to plug my headphones into the line out jacks. My headphones are pretty low impedance, so it is possible that the line out jacks will provide enough volume to my headphones. As for whether or not the sound quality will be the same as that produced from the headphone jack (less the static, of course), is TBD.

I plan on updating this thread whenever my items arrive, which should be sometime around Thursday or Friday, if I have time.

Re: Kawai MP11SE Headphone Static? [Re: TylerMorgan1] #2846373
05/08/19 10:11 AM
05/08/19 10:11 AM
New York, NY, USA
AnthonyPaulO Offline
AnthonyPaulO  Offline

New York, NY, USA

That's a TRS adapter for headphone jack... is that right?

Re: Kawai MP11SE Headphone Static? [Re: TylerMorgan1] #2846385
05/08/19 10:33 AM
France
Frédéric L Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Frédéric L  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

France
Originally Posted by TylerMorgan1
The second item is a stereo breakout cable that will allow me to plug my headphones into the line out jacks. My headphones are pretty low impedance, so it is possible that the line out jacks will provide enough volume to my headphones. As for whether or not the sound quality will be the same as that produced from the headphone jack (less the static, of course), is TBD.

The impedance of the output must be lower or the same magnitude than the headphone or else the main part of the power will be dissipated in the output resistor.

A line out has typically a 1kohm impedance or more and can’t send much current. If you plug headphones on it the sound will be very low.

If you want to use the line out with headphones, you need an headphone amplifier.

Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
Re: Kawai MP11SE Headphone Static? [Re: AnthonyPaulO] #2846387
T
TylerMorgan1 Offline OP
TylerMorgan1  Offline OP
T

Originally Posted by AnthonyPaulO

That's a TRS adapter for headphone jack... is that right?

Yeah, I think I would need TRS, right? Wouldn't a headphone jack output in stereo? Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, because I'm a bit of an idiot when it comes to different types of cables / connectors.

Re: Kawai MP11SE Headphone Static? [Re: Kawai James] #2846832
05/09/19 03:59 PM
05/09/19 03:59 PM
M
Marcos Daniel Offline
Marcos Daniel  Offline
M

dmd, yes this is the correct behaviour. The Line In input should be silent when no devices are connected, however I wished to rule out all possibilities, just in case. This is also why I recommended disconnecting any other devices (including USB etc.), in order to start with a defined base configuration.

Kind regards,
James
x

I suspect that in my case, as I have an extension cable from line in connected, this causes the 50Hz induction noise.

Pianoteq / Kawai CL 35 & MP11 / Old 1920's Upright Zimmerman
Re: Kawai MP11SE Headphone Static? [Re: TylerMorgan1] #2847096
05/10/19 02:08 PM
05/10/19 02:08 PM
T
TylerMorgan1 Offline OP
TylerMorgan1  Offline OP
T

UPDATE: I tried the new 1/4 to 1/8 adapter. It works fine, but the static is still there. So I think I can rule out an issue with the adapters and headphones. The static, assuming it is not normal, seems to be caused by a malfunction with the Kawai or potentially an issue with the electrical outlet, although I highly doubt the latter is responsible because I have tried two outlets with the same results.

I also tried the mono to stereo adapter to use headphones via the line out jacks. It works with no static, but the volume is very attenuated, so it's not really a viable solution.

Interestingly, though, I used the stereo / mono adapter to plug my iPhone into the 1/4 inch line in jacks to play along with songs. The only output I can get is in my right headphone, though; nothing ever comes out of the left side. I can plug in either of the two 1/4 ends from the adapter into EITHER of the line in jacks on the piano, and I always get sound from the right side, but never the left. Is this behavior normal? Shouldn't the line in jack for LEFT always produce sound on my left side, and vice versa? I'm thinking the line in jacks may not be working correctly, either, but perhaps this is an issue with the HOSA adapter. (Just to be clear, I am plugging into my iphone with a stereo 1/8 cable, and putting the opposite end of the stereo 1/8 cable into the HOSA adapter, and putting both the red and black 1/4 mono poles into the Kawai line in jacks; I only get sound out of my right earphone with this connection, as well).

Also, if I were to plug my iPhone into just the LEFT/MONO line in jack with a stereo (TRS) cable, should I get output in both earphones, assuming nothing is plugged into the RIGHT line in jack?

I think I'm likely going to be making a call to Kawai tech support soon. There just seems to be too much fishiness with the line in and headphone jacks on the Kawai. It's pretty frustrating given how much I really like the instrument. Crossing my fingers that I can figure all this out!

Tyler

Re: Kawai MP11SE Headphone Static? [Re: TylerMorgan1] #2847138
05/10/19 03:56 PM
05/10/19 03:56 PM
Pennsylvania
D
dmd Offline
4000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
D

Pennsylvania
Well, if I am the Kawai technician ….

The first thing I will ask you is …

How do you know the problem is not the TASCAM device you are plugging into ?

Are you ready with the answer to that ?

Don

Re: Kawai MP11SE Headphone Static? [Re: dmd] #2847144
05/10/19 04:12 PM
05/10/19 04:12 PM
T
TylerMorgan1 Offline OP
TylerMorgan1  Offline OP
T

Originally Posted by dmd

I was just using the Tascam to make the video for this forum. Normally I just plug straight into headphones from the keyboard, and that's where the static comes from. Although the line in jacks seem to be giving me issues, too.

I don't really know why the Tascam didn't give out static until the cable was manipulated. The whole thing is really perplexing to me. Every other headphone and cable combination I have tried has given static.

Re: Kawai MP11SE Headphone Static? [Re: dmd] #2847145
05/10/19 04:13 PM
05/10/19 04:13 PM
T
TylerMorgan1 Offline OP
TylerMorgan1  Offline OP
T

Originally Posted by dmd

Does your MP11SE not produce ANY static noise of any kind when the master volume slider is above halfway? At max?

Re: Kawai MP11SE Headphone Static? [Re: TylerMorgan1] #2847185
05/10/19 07:18 PM
05/10/19 07:18 PM
Pennsylvania
D
dmd Offline
4000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
D

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by dmd

Does your MP11SE not produce ANY static noise of any kind when the master volume slider is above halfway? At max?

Never.

I have not gone through this entire thread.

With that said …

If this was something I experienced, my first move would be to swap out my headphones with a difference set of headphones and see if it still is a problem.

If it is …. then it would seem that the MP11SE is the problem.

All that other stuff you included with your testing would seem unnecessary.

Did you try a different set of headphones ?

Don

Re: Kawai MP11SE Headphone Static? [Re: dmd] #2847206
05/10/19 08:17 PM
05/10/19 08:17 PM
T
TylerMorgan1 Offline OP
TylerMorgan1  Offline OP
T

Originally Posted by dmd
Originally Posted by dmd

Never.

I have not gone through this entire thread.

With that said …

If this was something I experienced, my first move would be to swap out my headphones with a difference set of headphones and see if it still is a problem.

If it is …. then it would seem that the MP11SE is the problem.

All that other stuff you included with your testing would seem unnecessary.

Did you try a different set of headphones ?

Yeah, I tried four sets of headphones, with four different 1/8 to 1/4 adapters. All had static. I talked with Kawai tech support on the phone, and in the process I realized that the headphone static/buzz is only present in the left earphone (on all headphones). The right earphone has zero static. We are convinced that there is an issue with the unit frown Which means I will likely be contacting Musician's Friend to set up an exchange. I like the MP11SE a ton, so I definitely want to just exchange it for another, hopefully not faulty, MP11SE.

Realizing that the static is isolated in the left earphone pretty much solidified my hunch that there is an issue with the Kawai and not my headphones / outlets. If the exchange piano does the same thing, I'm going to lose it because if it turns out the unit is not defective, then I have literally zero idea what else it could be.

Re: Kawai MP11SE Headphone Static? [Re: TylerMorgan1] #2847234
05/10/19 10:43 PM
05/10/19 10:43 PM
Pennsylvania
D
dmd Offline
4000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
D

Pennsylvania
If the exchange piano does the same thing, I'm going to lose it because if it turns out the unit is not defective, then I have literally zero idea what else it could be.

From the sound of things, I think the exchange MP11SE will be fine.

Don

Re: Kawai MP11SE Headphone Static? [Re: TylerMorgan1] #2857616
06/11/19 09:06 PM
06/11/19 09:06 PM
New York, NY, USA
AnthonyPaulO Offline
AnthonyPaulO  Offline

New York, NY, USA
Was this ever resolved? I'm curious as to what it turned out to be.

Re: Kawai MP11SE Headphone Static? [Re: AnthonyPaulO] #2857694
06/12/19 07:44 AM
06/12/19 07:44 AM
T
TylerMorgan1 Offline OP
TylerMorgan1  Offline OP
T

Hey Anthony,

I wound up shipping the unit back to Musician’s Friend, and they are sending a replacement. I just received the shipment notification, and the replacement should arrive this Friday. I’m planning on updating this thread this weekend. Hopefully the replacement will be perfect!

Re: Kawai MP11SE Headphone Static? [Re: AnthonyPaulO] #2858919
06/15/19 07:13 PM
06/15/19 07:13 PM
T
TylerMorgan1 Offline OP
TylerMorgan1  Offline OP
T

OK, after a very thorough process of testing the replacement, I am very happy to report that everything is in working order on the replacement. No headphone static at all with the master volume slider at any level, and the line-in inputs put out sound from both left and right sides of my headphones (these were issues with the first Kawai I received, in case you don't want to read back through the thread). I also tested out the XLR outs, line outs, USB in (for saving to USB drive), and USB out (midi out), and all performed flawlessly.

So the first Kawai I received shipped via R & L freight with the special requirement that I had to be home and help the delivery driver unload the package. After all, it is a very expensive, delicate instrument. Alas, the first shipment box did have a slight gouge in the package on the side where the headphone and line in ports are located. My guess is that whatever caused this gouge likely also caused my issues. So perhaps it is not wise to place blame on Kawai in any way.

However, it seems that there is a fair amount of luck involved with whether your shipment arrives damaged or not. The flawless replacement I received was shipped via FedEx Ground. Given that it is a $2.5k package with flamboyant markers all over the box warning of its delicacy, I assumed I would need to both sign for the package and help the delivery driver unload the piano (it is a 100 lb. box). So naturally I stayed home from work and stayed tuned for the doorbell to ring. As is my OCD habit when I am waiting on a cool package, I anxiously checked the tracking status of the package throughout the morning, even though it was pretty obvious that I would be the first to know when the piano arrived, as the FedEx guy would have to have my help to unload the beast. So imagine my surprise when at 1:03 P.M., I looked up the status and it said DELIVERED 12:59 P.M. I'm standing right by the front door the whole time, and there has been no ring, no knock, nada. Nothing. Delivered? Did they get the wrong address...did the guy press the delivered button too soon? Naturally I immediately open the front door, walk outside, and see nothing. Until I walk around the house and see my piano, dropped off as if it were a $20 bookstand from IKEA, propped up against the house, with the midday glaring Mississippi sun shining upon it.

[img]https://ibb.co/82p3dCH[/img]

Perhaps the delivery driver wanted it to be in the sun so that I could clearly read the "DO NOT STAND" instructions printed on the box that he/she so nonchalantly ignored. Thankfully I was pretty quick to the scene, so the piano was swiftly taken inside and saved from baking in the afternoon sun. And thankfully the piano is in great condition, so I don't have to worry about the delivery company damaging my brand new piano purchase. That is, until the next time I order one online...

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Charge per lesson or per semester?
by BluMunk. 06/19/19 11:55 AM
Fake or Real?
by PianoYos. 06/19/19 11:48 AM
The Stewart Piano Tuning Hammer PTH-5-1
by Vlad Ants. 06/19/19 02:05 AM
Yamaha CP88
by Sweelinck. 06/19/19 01:08 AM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics192,605
Posts2,839,649
Members93,636
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission