2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
56 members (AjinoRegret, cgeronimo, 36251, Buzz209, chopinetto, clothearednincompo, Carey, AmyKaye, 16 invisible), 456 guests, and 223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Keyboard for my toddler (and me)?
#2845451 05/05/19 01:21 PM
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
My almost two year old toddler used to love banging on my Kawai ES7 which was always ON. After I replaced it with a N1X I’m kind of worried she might destruct it so it stays closed and so she still reaches to it but it’s closed and I’m torn between her genuine desire to play and the fear that she can destroy an expensive piano frown Plus it’s too high for her.

I’m thinking of buying a battery powered keyboard with speakers so that she can do whatever she likes to it. (But I’m also tempted of using it myself too if possible). So far the options are:

Yamaha Reface CP. It’s a killer electric piano that I will most thoroughly enjoy playing myself too. Can hook it to a proper weighted keyboard for gigging. And is really portable so I can bring it with me/us everywhere. The mini keys are perfect for her too. It’s a bit expensive though for a keyboard that might end up being destructed.

Roland Go:Keys - perfect for a kid: loops, phrases, rhythms, etc. But I don’t think it will work for me though smile Not that it’s important...

Roland Go:Piano - don’t see a reason why I should choose it over the Go:Keys. Anyone?

Korg TinyPiano - maybe great for a kid but looks too toy-like, only two octaves.

A real acoustic toy piano - always “on”, always powered wink But most probably boring for a modern kid laugh

I’m currently leaning towards the Reface CP because it’s a no-compromise instrument and will also serve me a good purpose myself.

What do you think?

Last edited by CyberGene; 05/05/19 01:26 PM.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
Re: Keyboard for my toddler (and me)?
CyberGene #2845462 05/05/19 01:47 PM
G
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
Just my $0.02. Let your kids play on your main piano. They see you on it, it's what interest them, you have they opportunity to start teaching them respect for the instrument. I dealt with the same issue with my p-105, cp-59. Mp-11, and now NV-10. There are some scratches from fingernails, toe nails, wiped off food, that I would never have tolerated before. But kids transcend personal property, and I know you haven't stretched much more than I have for a hybrid (to the point where you will need to sell it in the near future to make ends meet).

So, what is now important to you? A perpetual battle to keep it pristine (which you WILL lose), or an opportunity to share something beautiful with your children that you can both love, if you can get past the fact that they will slam, scratch, chew and scrape their way way through as they learn how they interact with the world?

The last thing I want fory my own kids is some kind of off-limits barrier to some object they think I value more than I do them.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
CyberGene #2845463 05/05/19 01:52 PM
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Gombessa, these are wise words! Thanks, you really gave me food for thought.

CyberGene #2845468 05/05/19 02:13 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I've let my kid and the neighbors' kids play on my piano (or rather with it) too, when they wanted to. Also aged 2+ then (now 4-8). But there was always one rule: Wash hands first! I just didn't want to deal with snot on the keys. laugh
That rule was readily accepted btw. And our's started formal lessons with 7 1/2 and the rule still stands. smile
(Well, and of course I made other rules clear, like "only play with fingers, no banging with objects" etc. - but those were rather self evident and never really necessary to spell out.)

CyberGene #2845470 05/05/19 02:14 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P.S. and I guess now we have ruined your totally valid reason to get yourself a new toy! wink

CyberGene #2845472 05/05/19 02:26 PM
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Well, there’s still a valid reason, she liked changing voices and playing with the weird ones, as well as starting rhythms wink Can’t do this on the N1X. I mean, even I had to read the manual first time with the NU1X to know that a two-key combination is needed to change voices laugh

But yeah, unfortunately no Reface CP for me frown But why not a Go:Keys for her DJ-ing;)

CyberGene #2845475 05/05/19 02:36 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Teach your toddler the rules for using your stuff.

Learner
CyberGene #2845512 05/05/19 03:40 PM
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Years ago when my brother's oldest daughter was about two or three years old (she got her masters degree a few years ago so that tells you how long ago that was) he got an old Apple II from somewhere that he set up in the corner of his office so she could bang on that and she would stay off of his computer. I'm not sure if it actually worked, but I don't think it did.

One day when my mother was there she saw Amelia pounding on that keyboard and said, "What are you doing, Amelia?"

"Oh grandma, I'm hacking code just like daddy!"

smile

If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country and Western!
Casio Celviano AP-650
FrankCox #2845521 05/05/19 04:31 PM
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by FrankCox
Years ago when my brother's oldest daughter was about two or three years old (she got her masters degree a few years ago so that tells you how long ago that was) he got an old Apple II from somewhere that he set up in the corner of his office so she could bang on that and she would stay off of his computer. I'm not sure if it actually worked, but I don't think it did.

One day when my mother was there she saw Amelia pounding on that keyboard and said, "What are you doing, Amelia?"

"Oh grandma, I'm hacking code just like daddy!"

smile

How cute is that! smile Which is why I try not to code in front of my daughter laugh Not that I can either... Whenever she sees me on the computer typing she comes and start pressing keys.

I’m now really inclined to order a GO:KEYS. I’m sure she’ll love it and it will be a great way for her to learn playing a keyboard. Even if I let the N1X open and switched on, which I will, it’s still too high for her and doesn’t have funny voices and rhythms. Does anyone have the GO:KEYS? Or at least tried it? There’s some kid Yohan Kim who plays mind blowing funky jazz solos on it shocked

Gombessa #2845606 05/05/19 11:03 PM
B
B
Originally Posted by Gombessa
Just my $0.02. Let your kids play on your main piano. They see you on it, it's what interest them, you have they opportunity to start teaching them respect for the instrument. I dealt with the same issue with my p-105, cp-59. Mp-11, and now NV-10. There are some scratches from fingernails, toe nails, wiped off food, that I would never have tolerated before. But kids transcend personal property, and I know you haven't stretched much more than I have for a hybrid (to the point where you will need to sell it in the near future to make ends meet).

So, what is now important to you? A perpetual battle to keep it pristine (which you WILL lose), or an opportunity to share something beautiful with your children that you can both love, if you can get past the fact that they will slam, scratch, chew and scrape their way way through as they learn how they interact with the world?

The last thing I want fory my own kids is some kind of off-limits barrier to some object they think I value more than I do them.

+1!
When friends or family come over, their kids often head to the piano to make their 'music'. Often their parents will admonish them to "leave Uncle's piano alone before you break it", but I never want to discourage children from noodling about on there, so I tell the parents that as long as they're not actually pounding on the keys with fists, let them have at it. Of course, sometimes, the parents just don't want to hear the racket and that's their excuse to stop it. wink

CyberGene #2845620 05/05/19 11:46 PM
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Given that your little one likes to change sounds, I'd do the Go:Keys as it's much easier to change sounds on than the Reface CP which is a bit arcane and would be much easier for her to make sound really awful (or not at all, which could be confusing.) I think the programmed sounds would be easier to grok than oscillators and envelopes. But who knows, maybe she's a synth prodigy smile

Now learning: Chopin C# minor Nocturne (posth) and C minor Prelude (big chords), Mozart Sonata in C K. 545
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Kawai ES110, Roland GO:PIANO
JoBert #2845629 05/06/19 01:13 AM
F
F
Originally Posted by JoBert
I've let my kid and the neighbors' kids play on my piano (or rather with it) too, when they wanted to. Also aged 2+ then (now 4-8). But there was always one rule: Wash hands first! I just didn't want to deal with snot on the keys. laugh
That rule was readily accepted btw. And our's started formal lessons with 7 1/2 and the rule still stands. smile
(Well, and of course I made other rules clear, like "only play with fingers, no banging with objects" etc. - but those were rather self evident and never really necessary to spell out.)

Same for us... As long as hands are cleaned and no banging they can play as much as they want. It is amazing how kids (a bit older.. around 8) respect rules when they are reasonable.

The piano won't get hurt and my daughter, who is studying piano, tries to teach put together little 4 or 6 hands pieces... The results are what they are but the piano is fine and they have fun.

Last edited by fofig; 05/06/19 01:15 AM.

[Linked Image]
CyberGene #2845857 05/06/19 06:21 PM
G
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
Oh, +1 on having reasonable and clear rules.

We definitely have the same rules others have mentioned here (wash hands first, no food/drink at the piano), and I think it's a good way to start establishing the right respect for the instrument as kids grow older and can understand them smile

In the end, I want our kids to grow up enjoying piano/music, and kids of these ages are always looking to emulate their parents and do whatever it is we're doing. I can't let her mess around with my work laptop much, but playing on the same piano as dad does? That's a real joy for both of us.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
CyberGene #2845986 05/07/19 06:07 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
+1 on Gombessa's approach to parenting wink

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

"I agree that the User Manual is very good." - arc7urus, March 2019
CyberGene #2845996 05/07/19 07:14 AM
M
M
Gombesaa is right. Also, when your child will see that you are playing and respecting he instrument, to some extent should behave the same, as children as copying us . My is 6 months
currently, andd I am even not thinking about letting him play in any toy if the proper piano is at home when he will grow.

CyberGene #2846000 05/07/19 07:26 AM
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
I agree with all of you and I would be the last man in the world to prevent my daughter from playing the piano (BTW she seems to be possessing a perfect pitch: always singing songs in the proper key for which I envy her!). However she's still too young: 1 year and 8 months and simply won't listen to me laugh I guess she will need some more time to be more manageable smile And in the meantime she will be better off with a funky little keyboard, not simply to "preserve" my N1X which is rather impossible but rather to have easy access to a smaller keyboard with many bells and whistles to keep her interested.

The Roland GO:KEYS has been in my Thomann cart for a few days, waiting for me to make my mind smile

CyberGene #2846001 05/07/19 07:35 AM
M
M
The Go keys looks perfect - if a bit overkill - any cheap colorful thing with a keyboard will be interesting at that age. My 4 year old still loves the cheap toy keyboard that is permanently setup next to the real piano and prefers it because it is easily accessible and has built in rhythms etc.

Morten Olsson #2846002 05/07/19 07:36 AM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Morten Olsson
My 4 year old still loves the cheap toy keyboard that is permanently setup next to the real piano and prefers it because it is easily accessible and has built in rhythms etc.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
CyberGene #2846007 05/07/19 07:41 AM
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
^ That kind of stuff is usually a territory of geeks/nerds rather than children smile Sooner or later it transforms into this:

CyberGene #2846009 05/07/19 07:46 AM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CyberGene
^ That kind of stuff is usually a territory of geeks/nerds rather than children smile Sooner or later it transforms into this:

Does that mean if you were to get your daughter a cat piano, you'd eventually find yourself swapped your N1X for her cat piano wink laugh

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Modern Alternatives to the Metronome
by navindra - 07/13/20 08:10 PM
Eleanor Sokoloff RIP
by pianoloverus - 07/13/20 04:15 PM
Winter NAMM 2021 - Proceed or Cancel?
by PianoManChuck - 07/13/20 03:55 PM
Roland A-88mk2 - clunky black keys?
by Karnevil - 07/13/20 01:53 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,235
Posts2,980,336
Members97,760
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission