Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
115 registered members (Adypiano, aphexdisklavier, AWilley, anotherscott, ando, BatyaGeee, AssociateX, Alex Hutor, 28 invisible), 1,581 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
My stubborn wrists😊 #2844995
05/04/19 06:29 AM
05/04/19 06:29 AM
Brussels
B
Broqueville Offline OP
Broqueville  Offline OP
B

Brussels
Hi everyone,
Some background first: female, 52, no prior music experience whatsoever! But since inheriting my mother's 1890s Weber piano last year, I had an overwhelming urge to learn. The Weber was assessed professionally and deemed beyond repair😕
So, with the help of my teacher, I recently bought a Yamaha clavinova CLP625 and love it!!
I have a weekly lesson (4 so far) and can say without doubt that learning piano (and learning to read music) is the most difficult and challenging thing I have ever attempted! But, it is also the most absorbing and exciting! The hour spent with my teacher feels like 5 minutes and is way cheaper than therapy😁
However, one area I am struggling with is keeping my wrists down and feeling my arm weight.
I am thinking of attaching weights of some kind to my wrists. This morning I filled socks with coins but even then my wrists were resistant!
I'd be interested to know if other beginners have struggled with this and how they overcame it.
Thanks so much in advance for any tips.
Love the website.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: My stubborn wrists😊 [Re: Broqueville] #2844998
05/04/19 06:58 AM
05/04/19 06:58 AM
Sweden
N
Nip Offline
Nip  Offline
N

Sweden
I'm starting over and determined to get it right from start.

See if anything here might help you in finding not so tense approach.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNGHTOV9XVA&list=LLkfiIqVBjtIA2OgVtN9RoGQ&index=2&t=0s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew4PUlVJuGc&list=LLkfiIqVBjtIA2OgVtN9RoGQ

Kawai MP7SE
Re: My stubborn wrists😊 [Re: Broqueville] #2845005
05/04/19 07:20 AM
05/04/19 07:20 AM
Boynton Beach, FL
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Morodiene  Offline

Boynton Beach, FL
Welcome to the forum and to piano! Congrats on the Yamaha purchase too. smile

It is very difficult at first, but give it some time and things will become easier. Be patient with yourself and it seems like you are enjoying the process, so that's awesome to have that attitude.

Tension while playing in various ways are an issue every pianist has to deal with, so it's very normal for you to have issues. Please do not attach weights to your wrists! You have only been taking for a month, and this kind of thing takes time and lots of practice. So when you are playing, work on pieces or simple exercises like a 5-finger pattern (C_D_E_F_G_F_E_D_C) and focus entirely on what your wrists are doing. They need to move and be flexible on each note you play. Also, try to discover where exactly in your body your are holding onto tension. Momentary tension is fine, but tension that stays is often the root of the problem.

Be sure that you express how things are feeling as specifically as you can to your teacher as this will help her understand better what's going on and be able to help you improve.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: My stubborn wrists😊 [Re: Broqueville] #2845006
05/04/19 07:21 AM
05/04/19 07:21 AM
Southeast USA
P
Progman Offline
Progman  Offline
P

Southeast USA
When I started there were 2 main hand position errors; low left wrist and extending pointer fingers. My teacher showed me how they should be and told me that when I notice they are in the wrong position to correct them. I paid particular attention to those while I did my warm up every day and, corrected them when I noticed them going astray during practice. It took me a few months to get them 'much better'. I am still working on tension related issues in the hands and arms. Just becoming aware of the issues and conscientiously relaxing during practice is how I am slowly improving. Good Luck! ----oh, and learning piano is ridiculously hard - patience is key

Progman
Baldwin Console + Kawai ES100
Alfreds bk 1 + Teacher
Long Live ELP
Re: My stubborn wrists😊 [Re: Broqueville] #2845036
05/04/19 09:21 AM
05/04/19 09:21 AM
Midwest USA
Stubbie Offline
Gold Subscriber
Stubbie  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Midwest USA
Welcome to the ABF. Listent to Morodiene. She's a teacher and a good one. You might like to read through this recent thread on Ways of addressing the issue of tension in piano playing. for more tips.

Originally Posted by Broqueville
....and can say without doubt that learning piano (and learning to read music) is the most difficult and challenging thing I have ever attempted! But, it is also the most absorbing and exciting! .....
You've summarized all of piano in a few sentences. Knowing that learning piano is challenging but rewarding is a good step towards your goal!

[Linked Image]
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams
Re: My stubborn wrists😊 [Re: Broqueville] #2845110
05/04/19 12:30 PM
05/04/19 12:30 PM
Left Coast of US
D
Docbop Offline
Docbop  Offline
D

Left Coast of US
Being relaxed when you play is key to the body falling into place.

Kenny Werner in a recent talk from his classes said when working on exercises that you have to repeat multiple times to pause, take your hands off the instrument, before beginning again. People are saying they are getting better results than when just plowing thru doing something over and over and getting tense.

Makes sense to me to mental resets for a second, before repeating. Another teacher Howard Roberts I had mentioned taking hands off the instrument with pausing or taking a break. Playing requires focus but relaxed body so need to be able to control both and taking hands off for a second helps learn to control it.

Re: My stubborn wrists😊 [Re: Broqueville] #2845112
05/04/19 12:37 PM
05/04/19 12:37 PM
J
joe80 Offline
3000 Post Club Member
joe80  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
J

Hi there!

I'm a piano teacher in two universities and in a school, so I teach beginner to degree level, and I have to say from the post I don't know exactly what you mean.

How high are your wrists? In what way do they need to be lower? That might be a better place to start than trying to give advice without knowing what position we are trying to correct.

Hope that helps?
J

Re: My stubborn wrists😊 [Re: Broqueville] #2845131
05/04/19 01:32 PM
05/04/19 01:32 PM
Canada
keystring Offline
keystring  Offline

Canada
I'm bothered by the idea of wanting to keep one's wrists down or any position.

Re: My stubborn wrists😊 [Re: Broqueville] #2845132
05/04/19 01:33 PM
05/04/19 01:33 PM
Sweden
Animisha Offline
500 Post Club Member
Animisha  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Sweden
Hi Broqueville, welcome to this forum!
One of the videos that we regularly recommend to each other on this forum is this one:
It might help you with your wrists. cool

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
Re: My stubborn wrists😊 [Re: Animisha] #2845135
05/04/19 01:51 PM
05/04/19 01:51 PM
Alabama
A
anamnesis Offline
anamnesis  Offline
A

Alabama
Originally Posted by Animisha
One of the videos that we regularly recommend to each other on this forum is this one:

I don't particularly think this video should be recommended without caveats.

Elsewhere, someone posted this video, and I posted my thoughts on it:

Just skimming that video, I'm not a huge fan. It embodies many of the flaws of certain arm weight and relaxation approaches that just leads to an endless merry-go-round of tension-relaxation the moment you start getting into more difficult repertoire, try to obtain higher levels of tonal and timing control, or face increasingly difficult performance situations.

It's not just the exaggeration. I might be okay with the first step, which I already take issue with but can see some rationale for, but the follow-up doesn't fix it at all as a progression. He consistently ends up aiming "too low" and having to rescue a bunch of fulcrums. Just looking at the video, you might not have forearm or hand pain, but I just see shoulder, neck, and upper back issues in the future.

You'll also never quite experience a moment of "perfect" repose on each note that allows you to work out the timing of a single note/articulation versus the timing of getting form note to note because you spend so much effort trying to get back in equilibrium (if you even manage to do so) in the sagittal plane. It either leads to sloppiness, or in attempts to fix that sloppiness you end up tense.

I've seen so many students coming from this sort of arm use background that just end up on the tension-relaxation merry-go-round or end up having to curtail their ambitions and their choice of repertoire because they can't progress to more difficult works without some combination of pain/insecurity/sloppiness with this approach.

Re: My stubborn wrists😊 [Re: joe80] #2845164
05/04/19 03:38 PM
05/04/19 03:38 PM
Moscow, Russia
I
Iaroslav Vasiliev Online content
1000 Post Club Member
Iaroslav Vasiliev  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
I

Moscow, Russia
Originally Posted by joe80
I don't know exactly what you mean.

How high are your wrists? In what way do they need to be lower? That might be a better place to start than trying to give advice without knowing what position we are trying to correct.

Agree. A little elaboration would be very helpful.

Re: My stubborn wrists😊 [Re: Animisha] #2845211
05/04/19 06:28 PM
05/04/19 06:28 PM
J
joe80 Offline
3000 Post Club Member
joe80  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
J

Personally I don't like this video. He's using way too much weight, too much tension and relaxation, very little balance, way too much upper arm, etc. I don't really see how you can build a solid technique on this. There's no sense of balance or measure. There are some things he's pointing out which are good, of course, but then he kind of throws it all away.

For a start, you don't really want your full upper arm weight in the key, and if you put all that weight through the wrist in the manner he is doing, you're likely to end up with pain. Watch the greatest of the great pianists and you'll not see this kind of playing.

Re: My stubborn wrists😊 [Re: Broqueville] #2845268
05/04/19 10:23 PM
05/04/19 10:23 PM
Z
Zaphod Online sad
500 Post Club Member
Zaphod  Online Sad
500 Post Club Member
Z

Depends which "school" of playing you come from as well.

Look at Hamelin, then look at Lisista. Two completely different ways of using the arm weight and fingers. Well, to my eye anyway.

Indeed, Horowitz. Another very finger orientated player.

Raising the question - are you an arm player or finger player? Of course both use both, but in different proportions.

Re: My stubborn wrists😊 [Re: Broqueville] #2845325
05/05/19 04:51 AM
05/05/19 04:51 AM
South Wales
C
Colin Miles Offline
500 Post Club Member
Colin Miles  Offline
500 Post Club Member
C

South Wales
May I suggest that it all depends on a whole variety of physical and mental attributes. Are you an ectomorph, an endomorph, or a mesomorph? Do you have double joints? Maybe tight ligaments like I do? Are you an anxious person? And so on, an on and on. There must be many more possible combinations than all the pianos that have ever been made. We all have to work out what is best for us, maybe with help from teachers, etc.

Roland LX7

South Wales, UK
Re: My stubborn wrists😊 [Re: joe80] #2845336
05/05/19 06:01 AM
05/05/19 06:01 AM
Moscow, Russia
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I

Moscow, Russia

Personally I don't like this video. He's using way too much weight, too much tension and relaxation, very little balance, way too much upper arm, etc. I don't really see how you can build a solid technique on this. There's no sense of balance or measure. There are some things he's pointing out which are good, of course, but then he kind of throws it all away.

For a start, you don't really want your full upper arm weight in the key, and if you put all that weight through the wrist in the manner he is doing, you're likely to end up with pain. Watch the greatest of the great pianists and you'll not see this kind of playing.

I agree again and generally it seems to me that Zach Evans' video series is one of the worst.

Re: My stubborn wrists😊 [Re: Iaroslav Vasiliev] #2845339
05/05/19 06:09 AM
05/05/19 06:09 AM
Sweden
Animisha Offline
500 Post Club Member
Animisha  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Sweden
Originally Posted by Iaroslav Vasiliev
I agree again and generally it seems to me that Zach Evans' video series is one of the worst.

Okay my friends! I found this video very helpful but I promise you, I won't refer to it anymore. smile

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
Re: My stubborn wrists😊 [Re: Animisha] #2845346
05/05/19 06:27 AM
05/05/19 06:27 AM
Moscow, Russia
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I

Moscow, Russia

Okay my friends! I found this video very helpful but I promise you, I won't refer to it anymore. smile

smile
It's not your fault. As I just said in another thread everone of us has to find solution that works best for him or for her. If it works for you, it's good!

Re: My stubborn wrists😊 [Re: Broqueville] #2845350
05/05/19 07:09 AM
05/05/19 07:09 AM
Canada
keystring Offline
keystring  Offline

Canada
Originally Posted by Broqueville
However, one area I am struggling with is keeping my wrists down and feeling my arm weight.
I am thinking of attaching weights of some kind to my wrists.

Two problems:
- "arm weight" is an elusive abstract idea that can lead to all kinds of confusing associations. I sometimes wonder how many teachers using the term actually know what they are talking about.
- Any idea that any part of the body should be "kept" anywhere is going to create problems. The entire body works together; all joints must be free to move "at least a little bit". Your wrists are joints, and joints are mobile, responsive, directive, and if you are being told to keep them anywhere, then you are creating something static - that is the antithesis of the mobility of this wonderful joint.

I highly recommend that you go to this site, and follow all the lessons in the section "how the body works", including doing the exercises (to find out how the body works wink ... on piano). This will at least help you put into perspective any advice you get about wrists and so on.
https://piano-ology.com/course-outline/piano-technique/

Re: My stubborn wrists😊 [Re: Iaroslav Vasiliev] #2845381
05/05/19 10:08 AM
05/05/19 10:08 AM
Boynton Beach, FL
Morodiene Offline
Morodiene  Offline

Boynton Beach, FL

See, I get what he's trying to say. And he did state this is an *exaggeration* at least a couple of times. Often, when students are on one end of a spectrum of tension, you must get them to try and get to the opposite end. Often they will not go far enough and wind up in the middle - right where you want them.

But some students will go too far and take it to a conclusion you did not want. Also, when he plays the chords at the end, he is doing other things that he doesn't detail, and that can be a problem. I also think he's very tense throughout the whole thing, so I'm not sure he really modeled the concept well. But he does have the basic concepts there, so it certainly may be helpful for some.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: My stubborn wrists😊 [Re: Broqueville] #2845388
05/05/19 10:15 AM
05/05/19 10:15 AM
J
joe80 Offline
3000 Post Club Member
joe80  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
J

Having seen him play, I can assure you he does not have a well-organised technique.

Arm-weight IS a thing in technique, and it's an important thing. It's therefore important to get it right. You can't just say "use arm weight" without knowing what it actually is, and what it isn't.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
An Evening in Paris
by cmb13. 06/20/19 08:17 AM
John Ogdon - cause of death
by Hank Drake. 06/20/19 07:47 AM
importance of teaching a student how to practice
by keystring. 06/20/19 04:45 AM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics192,618
Posts2,839,994
Members93,657
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission