2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (Dalem01, Cheeeeee, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Dfrankjazz, Carey, 7 invisible), 2,075 guests, and 323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
This thread has had me to check to see if there is a local meet up and there is a quarterly piano group meetup, unfortunately I'm probably going to miss the next one. But I've joined the group.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by John305
Even when we tried to explain that wasn’t true to some of them, they weren’t having it, they had seen too many movies and were convinced we all live in mansions and wipe our backsides with one hundred dollar bills.

Really? No? Why what do you use?

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Originally Posted by John305
Even when we tried to explain that wasn’t true to some of them, they weren’t having it, they had seen too many movies and were convinced we all live in mansions and wipe our backsides with one hundred dollar bills.

Really? No? Why what do you use?

I’m not rich so I use twenty dollar bills grin

It’s never too late to be what you might have been. -George Eliot
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
We've been to 4 different houses in the last year. Three grands, one upright, no Steinways...

And we use this, available in the piano world store:

[Linked Image]

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sam S
We've been to 4 different houses in the last year. Three grands, one upright, no Steinways...

[Linked Image]Sam

I would love to get that, but only if it is a composer I don't like! grin

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
LOL this thread has really gone into the toilet!

But as for meeting up, I love the idea. Music is a thing to be shared, not hoarded, IMO. And it helps to get rid of nervousness at lessons or performing when you learn to approach it as sharing something you love with like-minded people.

I'm not able to attend cmb13's party this weekend, but do plan to attend future parties. smile

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I am in the New York City area and there are 3 official Piano Meet Up groups that I attend. They are usually so packed that the organizer has to reserve a larger room at a practice recital studio, or extend the reservation time to 2 hours to allow everyone an opportunity to play. I have been a member of all the groups since 2014 or so, and they all schedule events at least twice a month, although 1 usually meets every 3 months or so. 1 is run by a Piano teacher in NJ and she is extremely supportive of all players. I love going to that one since the majority of attendees are early intermediate to advanced level performers (and once in a while, there may be students who are applying to conservatories or colleges as piano majors and perform as a "trial run" for their auditions).

I love going to them, and I have made several friends from attending them. My favorite one is a regular meet up that is run by a relatively early intermediate player (she stops numerous times in the middle of her performance, lots of ackward pauses, etc) because there is a social "happy hour "right next door at a restaurant...after the meet up we can chat about our performances or pieces we are working on. Many of us just play pieces that are not even halfway finished, or may play excerpts of longer pieces if the attendance rate is high. One time I was the last one to play (1 organizer usually does a lottery to determine playing order), so I played just the middle section of the "Funeral March" Sonata from Chopin (the slow Andante section).

I cant really remember a bad performance from a recent Meetup, except maybe an older Asian woman who is self-taught and played 3 Rachmaninoff Preludes and the rhythms in her G minor prelude were completely wrong for every single measure : <:-o...But people are polite, clap and encourage her to keep playing..so its all good!! :-)

Last edited by AssociateX; 05/03/19 11:44 AM.

~~~~~~~
My Practice/Progress YouTube Channel :

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNj0Yha5exOWuJMTezV3t8Q
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Morodiene
I'm not able to attend cmb13's party this weekend, but do plan to attend future parties. smile

Well that's good, because as I told him, I'm cuing myself up for one of his future parties too smile

[Linked Image]

P
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
P
I have 3 piano groups made up of people who have either attended the same piano camp or adult students of my piano teacher. There is no formal schedule. Whenever someone feels like hosting they send out an email. One group with only 5 of us has been getting together 3 to 4 times a year for the past 6 years. The other groups usually have about 8 to 10 people and there’s some overlap of people. These are at people’s houses and there’s always food involved. Everyone brings something to eat. The format of the event is set by the host and some are more structured than others, but overall they are informal and there is no critique of anyone’s piece. Some of us have known each other for years so we talk about stuff other than piano. It’s a good way to get some performance experience in a low stress setting.

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
LOL this thread has really gone into the toilet!

But as for meeting up, I love the idea. Music is a thing to be shared, not hoarded, IMO. And it helps to get rid of nervousness at lessons or performing when you learn to approach it as sharing something you love with like-minded people.

Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

Well that's good, because as I told him, I'm cuing myself up for one of his future parties too smile

Cant' wait! Maybe I'll post a thread on this soon and see if others can attend. We'll shoot for the late fall, possibly, or early winter, when the weather gets nice in FL.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member
Great comments above. FWIW, I'm going to try to respond to some of the very interesting observations raised by Elaine Allegro, just addressing how we do it in the group that I visit and in the group that I host:

Originally Posted by ElaineAllegro
... There are many paths to happy piano groups, and you've had excellent advice above. I think there's a huge untapped "market" for adult amateur piano groups, and wish you rapid success in setting up your group. Don't underestimate the power of Piano World; suggested first step: announce the new group in ABF (and maybe cross-post in Pianists Corner and Piano Group and Event Listing) with your location in the subject line.

Here are some of the features and options used or considered by the two groups for which I am organizer (or "social secretary"):

Location: Piano store recital hall, members' homes, music school, community center, or a mix. Free or fee-based location.

Frequency: Our groups meet ~6 times a year, roughly every two months year-round. The next year's schedule is planned out by December.

Duration: Sessions include 2 hours of performance; then refreshments and social time. For us, this means limiting pianists to ~8 minutes each (times 12-16 playing per session), with exceptions if requested in advance.

Scope: Classical only; mix of classical, jazz, improv, pop; open to duets or trios with other musicians or vocalists; or piano only.

Level: Open to all levels; narrower range of levels; there are pros and cons of both but probably best to start with inclusion of all levels.

Program: In some groups, people like to play when they feel "ready," especially when the group is getting established; others prefer a pre-planned order and more formal program.

Communications: Meetup.com (there's a fee but it really helps local people find the group, and helps with sending out announcements and keeping track of RSVPs) vs. an email list; consider using survey or invitation software to track RSVPs and who's bringing or playing what.

Refreshments: What does host provide; what do members bring; remember paper goods if meeting in a public place; a fair policy so everyone participates in bringing food/beverages at some point; support for set-up and clean-up.

Add-ons: Consider (after the group is established) occasional add-ons such as a master class, performance at a retirement center or community center, or themed session (like ABF themed recitals).

Wishing your new group lots of success!

Location: Both groups are at private homes, and the participants are quite happy with that.

Frequency: The group I visit meets about once a month; the group that I host meets about every other month.

Duration: For both groups, we play for about an hour, then enjoy tea & cookies, wine and cheese, etc. afterwards for another hour or more.

Scope: Pretty open in both groups. The group that I visit has a wider range of instrumentalists and vocalists, but the majority play piano. The group I host is almost entirely piano, but we have recently welcomed a classical guitarist and will have vocal pieces performed. Most play classical music, but we also have GAS and show tune pieces in both groups.

Level: All for both groups -- the group I visit frames the event as "works in progress" performances; the group I host is characterized as a "Music Lab" -- same thing.

Program: Fluid in both groups.

Communications: Email both groups.

Refreshments: Hosts supply some for both groups, and other participants also bring things. (I recommend that you hide the refreshments until performance ends; once people start eating and drinking, it's hard to start performing!)

Add-ons: None to speak of yet, except that the group I visit tries to do a holiday-season party that begins with the usual hour of performance.

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
I’m wondering what you do in terms of week day vs weekend, time of day?

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by cmb13

Our gatherings (recitals?) are always on the last Sunday of the month, starting at 2:00 p.m. When members know that, they can plan well in advance and attempt to avoid conflicts.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
E
Silver Subscriber
Silver Subscriber
E
The two piano groups I mentioned meet on weekends from 2-5pm; one group on Saturdays (piano store performance space), one on Sundays (peoples' homes). Weekend scheduling helps attract a wide range of age groups.

There also are music clubs in my area (mix of amateur and professionals) - focusing on chamber music, some solo or duets/duos - that meet on weekday afternoons, sometimes in homes, sometimes retirement centers or public spaces; 1 hour performance (pieces are well-rehearsed and intended to be at performance level), then refreshments/social time. Age skews higher, except for a few with flexible work schedules or early retirement.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sam S

[Linked Image]

Sam

Got to love it!

[Linked Image]

3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member

Both of the groups I’m in meet Sundays at 5pm. So far we’ve had one conflict, but the hosts stay in touch on scheduling and there isn’t a lot of overlap in memberships of the two groups.

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
C
C
I’m just organizing a group too. Only 3 of us for now but it’s to be informal ie pieces in progress plus generally having others to talk to about challenges. I think you start as BruceD suggests with some parameters and the group will go from there. Mine is from an adult recital my teacher organized - two of us are his students but the third is not but she always plays at his recitals. She plays really interesting pieces so is a great resource. We are also planning on learning the same piece once my exam is done so there is a whole new level of support available to me. I think these groups are excellent and I’m sure there are all sorts of adults that are out there looking for such a group. Starting is the key!

Gave up on exams - playing whatever I feel like
Working on:
Bach Partita #2- up to the Courante so far
Liszt Consolation #2
Piazzolla Milonga del Angel
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
I'm totally inspired. I think I'll assess interest for a South Florida meet, in the mold of what's been described. I think quarterly will be a good start.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I'm totally inspired. I think I'll assess interest for a South Florida meet, in the mold of what's been described. I think quarterly will be a good start.

Just create your own Meetup.com group for it and then 'socialize' it to everyone you know who plays.

[Linked Image]

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Bringing back this old thread to mention that Rick posted some pictures from our latest piano group meeting over in the piano forum:

Piano Buddies pictures

Looks like we are having fun!

Sam

Last edited by Sam S; 06/25/19 05:27 AM.

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission