2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 10 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
P
P
Originally Posted by tudor33sud
Originally Posted by pengi
I was looking forward to buy the roland lx705 at the end of the year. I was sceptical at first about the hp704, but I am not so sure anymore. Regarding the difference between those two models I found only, the hp704 has older supernatural piano modeling and the lx705 has the newer pureacoustic modeling. There are 4 speakers with 60W output and the keyboard is also the same PHA50. I tried the lx705 in the shop and I liked it quite a bit, but the HP704 is 400 euros cheaper. Are there any other major differences between those two model except the modeling. If this is true 400 euros to spare isn't that bad.

I strongly suggest that you try them side by side. 400 euros difference means totally different sound engines, so probably you'll need to see which one you like the best

Thank you very much for the comparison. From your recordings I guess I prefer the pureacoustic. But when my shop gets the HP704, I will try that as well. But so far I am leaning towards LX705

Roland LX-705
Past: Yamaha PSR E-363

Slovakia, KE
T
T
I was looking forward to buy the roland lx705 at the end of the year. I was sceptical at first about the hp704, but I am not so sure anymore. Regarding the difference between those two models I found only, the hp704 has older supernatural piano modeling and the lx705 has the newer pureacoustic modeling. There are 4 speakers with 60W output and the keyboard is also the same PHA50. I tried the lx705 in the shop and I liked it quite a bit, but the HP704 is 400 euros cheaper. Are there any other major differences between those two model except the modeling. If this is true 400 euros to spare isn't that bad.

I strongly suggest that you try them side by side. 400 euros difference means totally different sound engines, so probably you'll need to see which one you like the best

Thank you very much for the comparison. From your recordings I guess I prefer the pureacoustic. But when my shop gets the HP704, I will try that as well. But so far I am leaning towards LX705

Since you said you could spare 400 euros happily, I guess Roland LX705 it's at the top of your allocated budget for the piano. However, if you are a patient person and not in a rush to get the piano, I will like to let you know something else that I found useful for me. Instead of the sound engines, I strongly suggest to try and save a little bit more for a 706. The reason for that is the action, which I find it to be such a breeze to be controlled and so even throughout the length of the key. Don't forget to try it, and again, it's just a personal experience which may be as useful for you. Happy shopping for your new piano smile

www.youtube.com/channel/UC073i6RnxK4NcnoFp1jYh7Q The place where I ocasionally post my amateur recordings smile
Criticism is welcomed since it helps improving and going forward!

Yamaha P-105 -> Roland HP-605 -> Roland LX708
P
P

Since you said you could spare 400 euros happily, I guess Roland LX705 it's at the top of your allocated budget for the piano. However, if you are a patient person and not in a rush to get the piano, I will like to let you know something else that I found useful for me. Instead of the sound engines, I strongly suggest to try and save a little bit more for a 706. The reason for that is the action, which I find it to be such a breeze to be controlled and so even throughout the length of the key. Don't forget to try it, and again, it's just a personal experience which may be as useful for you. Happy shopping for your new piano smile

Of course I looked at the lx706, but the nearest place I could find which has it is 450km away. I told myself, that I am a beginner and I won't spend more than 2000 euros for my first digital.
Regarding the LX705, I spoke to the sales person and he offered me the piano for 2150 euro (otherwise 2400). LX706 is 3300 euros and therefore a huge price increase which I am not willing to pay, otherwise my family won't be able to eat dinner a few times smile

Roland LX-705

Slovakia, KE
T
T

Of course I looked at the lx706, but the nearest place I could find which has it is 450km away. I told myself, that I am a beginner and I won't spend more than 2000 euros for my first digital.
Regarding the LX705, I spoke to the sales person and he offered me the piano for 2150 euro (otherwise 2400). LX706 is 3300 euros and therefore a huge price increase which I am not willing to pay, otherwise my family won't be able to eat dinner a few times smile

That's great! It seems you figured it out beforehand, and totally makes sense to stick with LX705. As a beginner, I remember that I started with a used Yamaha p-80 bought by my parents, so you're already a lucky man! laugh I'm sure you'll enjoy it a lot

www.youtube.com/channel/UC073i6RnxK4NcnoFp1jYh7Q The place where I ocasionally post my amateur recordings smile

E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
My problem is the HP704 cabinet would be a better fit but I liked the LX705 new sound engine ;(
It is that the HP704 shouldn't cost that much in the USA. I can justify the LX705 cost but never the LX706 cost. For that price I would rather have the Kawai CA98 with the soundboard.

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
P
P

That's great! It seems you figured it out beforehand, and totally makes sense to stick with LX705. As a beginner, I remember that I started with a used Yamaha p-80 bought by my parents, so you're already a lucky man! laugh I'm sure you'll enjoy it a lot

Yeah I am considering the lx705 a huge upgrade over my current Yamaha PSR E363 smile But I will have to wait couple of months before I can buy it.

Roland LX-705

Slovakia, KE
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by EPW
My problem is the HP704 cabinet would be a better fit but I liked the LX705 new sound engine ;(
It is that the HP704 shouldn't cost that much in the USA. I can justify the LX705 cost but never the LX706 cost. For that price I would rather have the Kawai CA98 with the soundboard.

Maybe but Roland still holds out pretty nicely with their biggest woofers in digital pianos, and sound engine is great. Although it's true that this CA98 soundboard is awesome and can't be easily replaced by speaker system.

Roland LX708
E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Nordomus
Originally Posted by EPW

Maybe but Roland still holds out pretty nicely with their biggest woofers in digital pianos, and sound engine is great. Although it's true that this CA98 soundboard is awesome and can't be easily replaced by speaker system.

True Roland does have nice big speakers on their higher end models. My gripe is the great disparity from European prices to USA prices. Sure a little price hike I understand but not what I was quoted. Plus I don't like that
Roland-USA hides prices from consumers!

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
V
VMK Offline
V
Hi everyone...

Im interested to know if there are any reasonable updates from hp 603 to hp 704.

Cheers

T
T
Originally Posted by VMK
Hi everyone...

Im interested to know if there are any reasonable updates from hp 603 to hp 704.

Cheers

I don't think so ! It uses same PHA-50 action, same sound engine, so probably you may be getting some new finish and the new panel, that would be all. The only difference seems to be that HP704 is priced slightly lower than HP-605 was, so you gain in this aspect at least.

However, I noticed this for all their lineup of 7xx series this Year, even the LX708 was cheaper than LX17.

D
OP Offline
D
Today I played the HP704 and the HP605 side by side. I liked the sound of the HP 704 much more than that of HP 605. The sound from HP 605 speakers sounded thinner while the sound from the HP 704 felt more evolving of "full". Both pianos were at the same volume level (90) and had a factory reset. I find the form factor of the HP704 (fallboard that covers the buttons) + place of the music stand more convenient than those of the LX series. I would like to test the HP side by side with a new LX but there is no store in my country that stocks both.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J

Also, my 2 cents on this to help you make up your mind, I have a song which I recorded both in the new and previous sound engine. Maybe it will help you a little bit to get a grasp into how good recordings at least are. Perosnal oppinion: pure acoustic ambience on the newer model really makes a difference as far as the tone goes, and this is really visible given the 2 recordings that you re about to see.

Roland HP605(supernatural piano modeling)

Roland LX7xx (pure acoustic modeling + stone hall ambience) Audio Link

I would love to hear what you recorded on the lx708 with lakeside stage ambience

Yamaha P155, Yamaha P515
T
T
Originally Posted by Jitin

Also, my 2 cents on this to help you make up your mind, I have a song which I recorded both in the new and previous sound engine. Maybe it will help you a little bit to get a grasp into how good recordings at least are. Perosnal oppinion: pure acoustic ambience on the newer model really makes a difference as far as the tone goes, and this is really visible given the 2 recordings that you re about to see.

I would love to hear what you recorded on the lx708 with lakeside stage ambience

Of course! I will do it these days and post it here! Currently I’M still enjoying Easter Holidays smile

K
K
Lol all my local stores are selling 704 for the same as the 605 which they're selling for the same price as the 705. If Roland would list MSRP on their site it would help a bit because I'm pretty sure they're asking well above what they should be. Such a shame. I love Roland but local stores are completely insane so it doesn't seem like I'll own a cabinet style Roland unless I drive a few hundred miles.

T
T
Originally Posted by Jitin

Hi Jitin,

I managed to quickly record the piece using lake side studio settings. Note that I didn't find an option to record directly from my stage function (you cannot go from recording screen to that particular menu for some reason ). However, when you select lake side studio, it actually shows you that the ambience used is Studio with depth 2, and this is what I did. Let me know if you like it better, and sorry for any mistake.
Lake Side Studio Ambience

T
T

I managed to quickly record the piece using lake side studio settings. Note that I didn't find an option to record directly from my stage function (you cannot go from recording screen to that particular menu for some reason ). However, when you select lake side studio, it actually shows you that the ambience used is Studio with depth 2, and this is what I did. Let me know if you like it better, and sorry for any mistake.
Lake Side Studio Ambience

Sorry,
it seems like I've mistaken the link. Here's the fixed one which should work: Lake Side Studio Ambience sound

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
it sounds really NICE! though I couldn't tell the difference in your previous recording so much.

I must say, its really quite improvement in Roland Sounds.

I still think Yamaha is my favorite, but kudos to Roland.

Yamaha P155, Yamaha P515
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Kougeru
Lol all my local stores are selling 704 for the same as the 605 which they're selling for the same price as the 705. If Roland would list MSRP on their site it would help a bit because I'm pretty sure they're asking well above what they should be. Such a shame. I love Roland but local stores are completely insane so it doesn't seem like I'll own a cabinet style Roland unless I drive a few hundred miles.

Do you recall how much they are selling lx705 and lx706 for in these stores you went too?

Yamaha P155, Yamaha P515
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I love Roland but local stores are completely insane so it doesn't seem like I'll own a cabinet style Roland unless I drive a few hundred miles.

Here in Washington DC, it is cheaper to buy a true hybrid with authentic grand piano action (Yamaha N1X) than a Roland LX708 with a digital piano action. BTW, both of these are in the same piano store for me, and the LX708 with a digital piano action is more expensive than the true hybrid. I don't understand why Roland prices the way it does.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
I love Roland but local stores are completely insane so it doesn't seem like I'll own a cabinet style Roland unless I drive a few hundred miles.

Here in Washington DC, it is cheaper to buy a true hybrid with authentic grand piano action (Yamaha N1X) than a Roland LX708 with a digital piano action. BTW, both of these are in the same piano store for me, and the LX708 with a digital piano action is more expensive than the true hybrid. I don't understand why Roland prices the way it does.

I couldn't justify spending more than 3 grand or maybe 3500 on these types of digitals

Last edited by Jitin; 05/03/19 10:10 AM.

Yamaha P155, Yamaha P515
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission