Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
135 registered members (36251, Avalanch, anotherscott, Abdol, Agustin Roses, Animisha, 38 invisible), 1,468 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Yep, another old timer thinking he can learn the piano.... #2844518
05/02/19 03:38 PM
05/02/19 03:38 PM
Colorado Springs, CO
John_C Offline OP
John_C  Offline OP

Colorado Springs, CO
Hi folks,

My first post to kind of introduce myself.

I'm 57, male, nearing retirement, and wanting to learn how to play the piano. I just purchased a new Casio PX-160; it has weighted keys and I did not want to spend too much starting out. I also have an earlier revision of the Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course 'Lesson' and 'Theory' books, Levels 1 through 3 (from 1983).

I have absolutely no musical education whatsoever so I'm as new to this as you can get. But I want to learn. I tried teaching myself some basics on a simple keyboard about 20 years ago but I was in the military then and had to deal with long working hours and frequent deployments. I couldn't keep myself motivated and never made it beyond Level 1 of the Alfred's books. Life went on.

I plan to start on my own, 30 - 45 minutes a day. As time permits, I also hope to also pick up some instruction from the Internet / YouTube based on recommendations found in this forum. I know a formal teacher is highly recommended but I want to see if and how I progress on my own, at least initially.

I'd appreciate any tips the forum members here may have to offer. Wish me luck!

Last edited by John_C; 05/02/19 03:39 PM.

John_C - Colorado Springs
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Yep, another old timer thinking he can learn the piano.... [Re: John_C] #2844529
05/02/19 03:52 PM
05/02/19 03:52 PM
B
bennevis Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
bennevis  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B

Originally Posted by John_C

I plan to start on my own, 30 - 45 minutes a day. As time permits, I also hope to also pick up some instruction from the Internet / YouTube based on recommendations found in this forum. I know a formal teacher is highly recommended but I want to see if and how I progress on my own, at least initially.

I won't be the first to ask you this, but I'll jump in first, seeing as I'm around smirk - is there any particular reason why you don't want a teacher?

Most adults who tried before and didn't get anywhere go for a teacher second time round. The early stages - when you develop a proper keyboard technique and learn to read music and count beats - are the most crucial.

Of course, if you're just wanting to dabble for fun, especially if just playing pop etc, you won't need one......

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: Yep, another old timer thinking he can learn the piano.... [Re: John_C] #2844530
05/02/19 03:57 PM
05/02/19 03:57 PM
Colorado Springs, CO
John_C Offline OP
John_C  Offline OP

Colorado Springs, CO
Regarding a teacher, not sure how to find someone locally who has experience working with adults. And how would I know if they are good or not? Plus at this point, I'm trying to limit my costs.

Re: Yep, another old timer thinking he can learn the piano.... [Re: John_C] #2844539
05/02/19 04:12 PM
05/02/19 04:12 PM
Sweden
G
ghosthand Offline
ghosthand  Offline
G

Sweden
A good starting point is to listen to lots of piano music and also go to as many concerts and recitals as possible, in the music genre you prefer, of course. Immerse yourself in piano music. Make sure you learn to read music properly, read also piano literature. There are many nice resources on Internet. Also be very patient, don't try to rush things. Good luck and welcome to the piano world ...

Re: Yep, another old timer thinking he can learn the piano.... [Re: ghosthand] #2844546
05/02/19 04:26 PM
05/02/19 04:26 PM
Colorado Springs, CO
John_C Offline OP
John_C  Offline OP

Colorado Springs, CO
Originally Posted by ghosthand
Also be very patient, don't try to rush things.

Thanks, @ghosthand. I think a contributing factor to my failure at self-teaching 20 years ago was that I had little patience; I wanted to start playing rock and pop hits right from the beginning.

I realize this time out that this will be a slow, learning process, and it will take time.

Re: Yep, another old timer thinking he can learn the piano.... [Re: John_C] #2844547
05/02/19 04:32 PM
05/02/19 04:32 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

5000 Post Club Member

I wanted to start playing rock and pop hits right from the beginning.

If you are interested in pop and rock piano, you might want to take a look at this thread for a chord piano approach. There are a few active learners on the thread who might fill you in on how it's going for them. It has a cost, but it's less than a weekly teacher. Also, in case you don't stick with it, you could take the first few lessons a la carte. I don't have experience with it myself, but I do read the thread with some interest.

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Yep, another old timer thinking he can learn the piano.... [Re: John_C] #2844588
05/02/19 06:43 PM
05/02/19 06:43 PM
Upstate SC
dobro Offline
500 Post Club Member
dobro  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Upstate SC
Welcome john_C, we are glad to have you along. Spend some time with the Theory book and if you come upon something you don’t know, stop and get an answer. I “learned” some errors early on and it’s a pain to undo. I’m a beginner myself but I think I’m qualified to advise that. Again, welcome and keep us posted.

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently unit 4
Faber All In One -Level 2
Grateful Dead fan since 1987
Re: Yep, another old timer thinking he can learn the piano.... [Re: John_C] #2844591
05/02/19 06:52 PM
05/02/19 06:52 PM
Pennsylvania
D
dmd Offline
4000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
D

Pennsylvania
As you go through your method books ….

Try to learn the material very well before moving on.

Try to play everything musically …. not mechanically …. try to make everything sound nice.

AND … play things with a good sense of time. Use a metronome periodically to be sure you are doing this.

Good Luck

Don

Kawai MP11SE, Edifier R1850DB Active Bookshelf Speakers, Yamaha HS8S Powered Subwoofer, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq and numerous other VSTs
Re: Yep, another old timer thinking he can learn the piano.... [Re: John_C] #2844600
05/02/19 08:10 PM
05/02/19 08:10 PM
J
John305 Offline
John305  Offline
J

PianoTV on YouTube would be a good place to start. You might want to start with the second video from the top, entitled “Am I too old to learn piano?” Welcome aboard.

It’s never too late to be what you might have been. -George Eliot
Re: Yep, another old timer thinking he can learn the piano.... [Re: John_C] #2844601
05/02/19 08:18 PM
05/02/19 08:18 PM
Southeast USA
P
Progman Offline

Progman  Offline

P

Southeast USA
Welcome John! I started 11 months ago at age 59 from scratch. It is really hard to learn piano but quite rewarding. Keep in mind it is really hard and you are a babe in the woods. I recommend you spend several hours reading threads in the ABF - it can save you a lot of wasted time learning from others.

On your question about how to find a good teacher (there are LOT'S of threads on that subject!), I recommend asking around at work for someone that has kids taking lessons. Not all Teachers will take adult beginners - the success rate is not good and adults can really be a pain. If you get a few names call them up and ask them how long they have been teaching, how many students they have and how many are Adults. Best to find one that has good experience and has adults. You can save some money by going every other week and 30 minute lesson. Good Luck!

Progman
Baldwin Console + Kawai ES100
Alfreds bk 1 + Teacher
Long Live ELP
Re: Yep, another old timer thinking he can learn the piano.... [Re: John_C] #2844605
05/02/19 08:42 PM
05/02/19 08:42 PM
Toronto, Canada
T
thepianoplayer416 Offline
500 Post Club Member
thepianoplayer416  Offline
500 Post Club Member
T

Toronto, Canada
I don't think there is an age limit to learning piano unless you have a physical disability like arthritis. Josh Wright did a video on adults learning piano and his oldest student was in the 80s. The advantage older folks like us have is that we have more experience in life and we can sit still longer. Nowadays young people tend to get distracted by their electronic devices.

The first thing I was brought up was the idea you need to start piano at an early age. If you didn't show talent then you're not going to get into piano later in life. I started as an adult and didn't think it was an issue. The only issue was that I had other responsibilities but I still tried to squeeze an hour of practice every day.

It's easy for somebody to say you need to play musically but in the beginning most people has to go through the stage of playing in a mechanical manner.

The Y-T channel I go to to get playing tips is Piano Lessons On The Web with Tim as the online teacher.

Good luck...

Re: Yep, another old timer thinking he can learn the piano.... [Re: John_C] #2844623
05/02/19 10:15 PM
05/02/19 10:15 PM
Hawai'i Island
B
BigIslandGuy Offline
BigIslandGuy  Offline
B

Hawai'i Island
Aloha and welcome to the world of making your own music.

As you probably know from earlier, it's going to require a lot of patience. But, you don't have be another Horowitz to start having fun! The most critical thing, and perhaps the biggest challenge, IMO, is making sure you get some time in every day, without fail. An hour is great, but even just a few minutes is miles better than none. This is especially critical in the early stages. Not practicing regularly will result in slow or no progress, followed in short order by frustration and boredom with the whole thing. It's amazing how many competing things in life can conspire against daily practice. Again, even just a few minutes, with the key words being, every day, and you might surprise yourself at how fast you can progress.

My other suggestion is to make every effort to find a teacher. A decent teacher can save a lot of later grief over having to un-learn bad habits acquired early.

All the best with your restart! Have fun!

Re: Yep, another old timer thinking he can learn the piano.... [Re: John_C] #2844659
05/03/19 01:33 AM
05/03/19 01:33 AM
Sweden
Animisha Online content
500 Post Club Member
Animisha  Online Content
500 Post Club Member

Sweden
Welcome to this forum, and to playing the piano John C!

I was also in my fifties when I started with Casio PX and Alfred's. I think that you'll find that you can progress quite well on your own, but that is also because Alfred's tell so little about technique that you don't know what you don't know. I made it to the third book until I started wondering why my piano playing didn't sound beautifully...
One of the first texts I read then was this one about the wrist. It was a true eye-opener. As far as I remember, the wrist is never even mentioned in the Alfred's books.

Wishing you luck!

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
Re: Yep, another old timer thinking he can learn the piano.... [Re: John_C] #2844668
05/03/19 02:26 AM
05/03/19 02:26 AM
Italy
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
sinophilia  Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

1000 Post Club Member

Italy
Welcome John, being near retirement at 57 sounds great! Here in Europe I will probably have to wait until 70 laugh

Last month I was in Colorado for the first time, went through it by train and stopped on the Rockies for 2 days, it was a blast! I spent the whole time looking out of the window and taking pictures. It's an incredible place, can't wait to visit again.

Please remember, there is absolutely no shame in self-teaching, and don't let anybody make you feel guilty about it. It will work as long as you are disciplined and stick with it! You can still get plenty of great advice from great teachers online - Graham Fitch, Shirley Kirsten, Josh Wright, John Mortensen, Neil Stannard... Good luck and have fun, whatever method you choose.

Diana & Wally - Yamaha W110BW
To create a beautiful sound, one must imagine it at first and then learn to produce fluid physical motions that breathe life into music. (Shirley Kirsten)
http://soundcloud.com/sinophilia - http://youtube.com/sinophilia
Re: Yep, another old timer thinking he can learn the piano.... [Re: John_C] #2844679
05/03/19 03:39 AM
05/03/19 03:39 AM
P
PianoWVBob Online content
PianoWVBob  Online Content
P

Originally Posted by ghosthand
Also be very patient, don't try to rush things.

Thanks, @ghosthand. I think a contributing factor to my failure at self-teaching 20 years ago was that I had little patience; I wanted to start playing rock and pop hits right from the beginning.

I realize this time out that this will be a slow, learning process, and it will take time.

It depends on your goals.

In my noob opinion, there are two VERY different paths being referred to here.

1.) The classical approach.
This is the "get a teacher and learn to read music" path. This is slow and difficult for many people who just want to start to produce some music.

2.) The Chord based-do as I do and learn" approach.
This is just the opposite. You learn by imitating just like when you learned to speak. You didn't learn your first words because you learned how to spell them and drill the individual letters that spelled mama into your brain...no, you imitated the sounds you heard around you. After you learned a word, you learned another word and then you put those words into your first short sentence. You kept acquiring the "word skills" to make sentences to communicate in this new language and it wasn't until about 5 or more years later that you went to school and learned to write this new language and to read it.

It's the way guitarists learn (except for classical guitarists) they learn to bang out a few chords and then they are the life of the party! They are having fun and playing songs, and may or may not go on to read music or whatever else they do.

For myself, I've tried both. I also played pop/rock guitar for 30 years and also classical guitar so I kind of have an idea of the basic differences in approach.

If you desire the first path, you do need a teacher...no two ways about it. If you desire the second path I can suggest a few things.

There are several sites that provide this sort of teaching and it IS possible to learn to play using this method. My favorite site to learn this style is "Piano Lingo" though there are others. Play Piano Today is one. Scott The Piano Guy is another. There are a LOT of resources on Youtube also.

If I can do it...you can! I'm 59 and starting to play and when I got my keyboard at the first of this year I couldn't even make a noise that was pleasant and now I can play decently enough to not annoy anyone who's listening too badly. I'm working through chords in all keys and learning some basic rhythm patterns and songs that I like too.

Re: Yep, another old timer thinking he can learn the piano.... [Re: John_C] #2844718
05/03/19 08:09 AM
05/03/19 08:09 AM
south florida
JimF Offline
2000 Post Club Member
JimF  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

south florida
Welcome John_C.

Put me in the "if I can do it you can too" group. I was 56 when I wrote this ten years ago:

Hello everyone.

I've been lurking since last May when I started in on the Alfred AIO #1. Never played any instrument before, although I took piano lessons for a few months as a child when I was much more interested in things like baseball or climbing trees. For some reason at age 56 it hit me that I would like to play the piano.

So far I am enjoying the voyage and have just moved on to book 2, although my Amazing Grace could still stand a lot more polishing. Acutally I got all the way through book one back in July, but after talking to someone about using the metronome (which I had not, ever), decided to go back to the beginning and redo the whole book making sure I checked everything with the metronome. I detest the stupid thing (which I call "the little nazi in my keyboard") but it sure proved that I had work to do on my rhythm.

The forum discussions have been very helpful and I want to thank all of you for participating. Hopefully, now that I've registered, I will be able to contribute as well as receive.

Last edited by JimF; 10/12/09 07:29 PM.

So, from Blow the Man Down and Amazing Grace to today's Chopin, Liszt, and Debussy in my Sig line. (I broke down and got a teacher 2 months after that first post)

You can do it.

My best recommendations?

Get a teacher asap, even if it's less frequent than weekly
Practice daily, even if only for a few minutes
Be open to learning a wide range of music, across genres and historical eras.
Become a strong reader of music.
Enjoy the learning process, it never ends.

Good luck,

Jim

Consolation No.2 E maj, F.Liszt
Nocturne C# minor, FChopin
Clair de Lune, C.Debussy

Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Yep, another old timer thinking he can learn the piano.... [Re: John_C] #2844723
05/03/19 08:18 AM
05/03/19 08:18 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

5000 Post Club Member

Hi folks,

My first post to kind of introduce myself.

I'm 57, male, nearing retirement, and wanting to learn how to play the piano.

Welcome to PW, John. You are in good company. The last ABF survey taken back in August 2018 showed that 48.5% of respondents were over 45 years old, and 22.7% are over 56.

Enjoy your piano journey!

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Yep, another old timer thinking he can learn the piano.... [Re: John_C] #2844789
05/03/19 12:07 PM
05/03/19 12:07 PM
Moscow, Russia
I
Iaroslav Vasiliev Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Iaroslav Vasiliev  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I

Moscow, Russia
The most difficult thing in self-teaching is to play and to listen to what you're playing simultaneously as if you were a spectator. I guess only a small percentage of students are capable of that right from the start, it requires great attention and effort, and the success of your self-teaching will mostly depend on the development of this skill. Listen very carefully to every note you play, not letting yourself to ignore the slightest imperfection. You can help the development of this skill by frequent recording of your playing and listening to the recordings. But if after, say, 40 recordings you understand that you still don't notice many of the recorded imperfections while playing, then you better give up the idea of self-teaching and find yourself a teacher.

And remember that playing the piano should be physically pleasurable at all times. If it's not, you must be doing something wrong.

Good luck in your journey!

Re: Yep, another old timer thinking he can learn the piano.... [Re: JimF] #2844817
05/03/19 01:35 PM
05/03/19 01:35 PM
NYC
R
Roadkill Offline
Roadkill  Offline
R

NYC
Originally Posted by JimF

So, from Blow the Man Down and Amazing Grace to today's Chopin, Liszt, and Debussy in my Sig line. (I broke down and got a teacher 2 months after that first post)

If that's not inspiring, I don't know what is.

Re: Yep, another old timer thinking he can learn the piano.... [Re: Iaroslav Vasiliev] #2844821
05/03/19 01:53 PM
05/03/19 01:53 PM
L
LarryK Online content
500 Post Club Member
LarryK  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
L

Originally Posted by Iaroslav Vasiliev
The most difficult thing in self-teaching is to play and to listen to what you're playing simultaneously as if you were a spectator. I guess only a small percentage of students are capable of that right from the start, it requires great attention and effort, and the success of your self-teaching will mostly depend on the development of this skill. Listen very carefully to every note you play, not letting yourself to ignore the slightest imperfection. You can help the development of this skill by frequent recording of your playing and listening to the recordings. But if after, say, 40 recordings you understand that you still don't notice many of the recorded imperfections while playing, then you better give up the idea of self-teaching and find yourself a teacher.

And remember that playing the piano should be physically pleasurable at all times. If it's not, you must be doing something wrong.

Good luck in your journey!

Besides just listening to yourself, you have to watch your own physical movements and correct them when they’re wrong. This is difficult to do and is where a teacher is invaluable. Having a teacher correct my physical movements was done when I studied the violin, classical guitar, and now, piano. My classical guitar teacher would say, you’re collapsing your hand, and I wouldn’t realize it because I was concentrating on playing the notes. I never would have gotten far teaching myself, and I would have engrained a lot of bad habits along the way.

Yamaha P-515, Pianoteq Standard 6
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Notes Trainer iPad app
by Matvey. 07/17/19 10:43 AM
Sharpening The Learning Curve
by Agustin Roses. 07/17/19 09:40 AM
Understanding chords, please help
by Pippa. 07/17/19 08:46 AM
Yesterday - The Beatles - piano arrangement
by nappy. 07/17/19 03:21 AM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,043
Posts2,849,201
Members93,905
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission