2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
35 members (claburo, Beowulf, barbaram, colinstead, clothearednincompo, EVC2017, 8 invisible), 308 guests, and 419 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Finally action noise heard on acoustic...
#2844125 05/01/19 10:01 AM
J
jamiecw Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
J
...similar to what a lot of us hear in our DPs laugh

Thanks to this YouTube vid here recorded using a phone - you can clearly hear the clicking...so next time you hear clicking in your DP just think how it's just like the real thing! wink

Re: Finally action noise heard on acoustic...
jamiecw #2844194 05/01/19 01:20 PM
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Ha, yeah. I don't usually notice because the piano strings are so much louder, whereas the action noise on my digital is easier to hear when I turn down. I've come to appreciate the "thunking" as part of the sound, but I still can't stand "clicking" ...

Decent upright bassist; aspiring decent pianist
Present: Roland DP-603, Roland FP-30, Casio CDP-130
Past: Casio PX-830, Casio PX-160
Etc.: Yamaha MX61, PianoTeq Stage 6 (Bechstein, Bluethner, U4, Vibes, Xylo), Roland KC-80
jamiecw #2844197 05/01/19 01:25 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I don't want to hear ANY of the noises. Some of my VIs introduce various noises ... and I turn them off.

I only want to hear the strings. The strings, the whole strings, and nothing but the strings.

jamiecw #2844200 05/01/19 01:26 PM
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
May I suggest the harp? laugh

Etc.: Yamaha MX61, PianoTeq Stage 6 (Bechstein, Bluethner, U4, Vibes, Xylo), Roland KC-80
TheophilusCarter #2844202 05/01/19 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by TheophilusCarter
May I suggest the harp? laugh

HAHAHAHA! laugh

MacMacMac #2844206 05/01/19 01:58 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
I don't want to hear ANY of the noises. Some of my VIs introduce various noises ... and I turn them off.

I only want to hear the strings. The strings, the whole strings, and nothing but the strings.

I had a thread on this topic of simulation of the "defects" and "weaknesses" of an acoustical grand! My pet peeve is the out-of-tune "honkey tonk" feature of some VIs. Out of tune strings drive me batty. What is it with those people who purposely seek a piano sound which is 6 months out-of-tune when for once, VIs give you the possibility to be in perfect tune 100% of the time?

BTW, this happens for acoustical pianos too.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Tyrone Slothrop #2844209 05/01/19 02:04 PM
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

I had a thread on this topic of simulation of the "defects" and "weaknesses" of an acoustical grand! My pet peeve is the out-of-tune "honkey tonk" feature of some VIs. Out of tune strings drive me batty. What is it with those people who purposely seek a piano sound which is 6 months out-of-tune when for once, VIs give you the possibility to be in perfect tune 100% of the time?

BTW, this happens for acoustical pianos too.

Ha, I love the honky tonk sound, man. Don't know what to tell you! smile

jamiecw #2844226 05/01/19 02:45 PM
E
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
E
It seems to me they gave the girl a deffective piano for her to practice.

Last edited by EVC2017; 05/01/19 02:47 PM.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
TheophilusCarter #2844388 05/02/19 04:50 AM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I don't want to hear ANY of the noises. Some of my VIs introduce various noises ... and I turn them off. I only want to hear the strings. The strings, the whole strings, and nothing but the strings.
OK, fair enough. But what about every sneeze, wheeze, cough, and throat clearing a regular acoustic makes just because it was a mechanical device invented 320 years ago and mechanical devices make noise. As MacMacMac mentioned, why is it important to reproduce those noises in a VST/VI? Are these sneezes, wheezes, coughs, and throat clearings an integral part of the music being made?

Originally Posted by EVC2017

Would be very surprised if that were the case. Tiffany Poon is a top up&coming pianist and has access to some of the best teachers and pianos @ Juilliard & Columbia U.

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
jamiecw #2844390 05/02/19 04:53 AM
Yeah ... what about every sneeze, wheeze, cough, and throat clearing a regular acoustic makes? smile

Lucky for me that my piano doesn't make such noises.

But this reminds me of the mini toy keyboard sold at Radio Shack decades ago. It had an alternate voice that would cough. And another that would bark like a dog.

MacMacMac #2844394 05/02/19 04:59 AM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
But this reminds me of the mini toy keyboard sold at Radio Shack decades ago. It had an alternate voice that would cough. And another that would bark like a dog.

[Linked Image]

Tyrone Slothrop #2844407 05/02/19 05:30 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

I do recognise those hands...that's CG showing off again. Has he absolutely no humility whatsoever...wish I had a tenth of his skill. cry

jamiecw #2844411 05/02/19 05:57 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
You want me show off?

Here’s one for ya!

The keys don’t have mechanical noise because they are like laptop ones, having 1mm travel but there’s polyphonic aftertouch which I demonstrate in the end. Ohh, and the patch was created by me. It’s actually patched through virtual cables in the Moog Model 15 modular synth. How about that!

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
CyberGene #2844412 05/02/19 06:00 AM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CyberGene
You want me show off?

Here’s one for ya!

The keys don’t have mechanical noise because they are like laptop ones, having 1mm travel but there’s polyphonic aftertouch which I demonstrate in the end. Ohh, and the patch was created by me. It’s actually patched through virtual cables in the Moog Model 15 modular synth. How about that!

That's funny! You had that Russian cartoon in Bulgaria too? And it even has the cat sounds from the original sound track! cool

[Linked Image]

Tyrone Slothrop #2844413 05/02/19 06:04 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
You want me show off?

Here’s one for ya!

That's funny! You had that Russian cartoon in Bulgaria too? And it even has the cat sounds from the original sound track! cool

I’ve grown up with Ну, погоди! It was my favorite cartoon smile And the theme music is apparently something that I’m crazy about laugh

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
CyberGene #2844414 05/02/19 06:07 AM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

I’ve grown up with Ну, погоди! It was my favorite cartoon smile And the theme music is apparently something that I’m crazy about laugh

Yeah, I watched all the episodes with my daughter. It's all on Youtube now. Did you watch other Russian shows in Bulgaria? My wife has a good friend from Western Ukraine. She said that the way they learned Russian was from the morning cartoons as Russian wasn't taught in Western Ukraine (it was Eastern Ukraine where everyone learned Russian in school).

But yes! Great job on the Ну, погоди theme song. I recognized it immediately with it 'meows'!

[Linked Image]

jamiecw #2844436 05/02/19 08:18 AM
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Yann Tiersen uses toy pianos to great effect in his compositions, such as this one:

I’ll be seeing Yann perform this month!

Tyrone Slothrop #2844563 05/02/19 04:10 PM
O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
I don't want to hear ANY of the noises. Some of my VIs introduce various noises ... and I turn them off. I only want to hear the strings. The strings, the whole strings, and nothing but the strings.
OK, fair enough. But what about every sneeze, wheeze, cough, and throat clearing a regular acoustic makes just because it was a mechanical device invented 320 years ago and mechanical devices make noise. As MacMacMac mentioned, why is it important to reproduce those noises in a VST/VI? Are these sneezes, wheezes, coughs, and throat clearings an integral part of the music being made?

Originally Posted by EVC2017

Would be very surprised if that were the case. Tiffany Poon is a top up&coming pianist and has access to some of the best teachers and pianos @ Juilliard & Columbia U.

Best teachers - yes. Best pianos - no. Tiffany Poon did a video a while back ago going through the practice rooms at the school (I think Juilliard) and complaining about how every piano was either out of tune or had sluggish action or some or other problem.

I do wish there was a way to eliminate these noises completely. On my NV10, the key action is noisy when I play it at a lower volume. Sometimes, it can almost be as loud as the volume through the speakers - and it is annoying.

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST. Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Pianoteq 6/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
Osho #2844616 05/02/19 08:33 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Osho
I do wish there was a way to eliminate these noises completely. On my NV10, the key action is noisy when I play it at a lower volume. Sometimes, it can almost be as loud as the volume through the speakers - and it is annoying.

I have a few quick ideas, although I suppose all will change the "sound" of the speakers as well (maybe improve):

- Try putting the piano in different spots in the room/house. Even if you just move it back a few cm or to the side a few cm. Generally, corners and right next to the wall will tend to emphasize lower frequencies, where a lot of the mechanical noise resides.

- Under the piano you can put some dense rubber between the piano's feet and the floor for decoupling. Rubber caster cups will work on the front feet but I can't tell how the back of the NV-10 touches the floor (looks like one monster foot from the pictures). Here is an example of "premium" caster cups; you could DIY this but getting the right rubber density & thickness for upright piano weight and the typical mechanical sounds might take some trial and error:

http://piattinocastercups.com/ordering-piattino-caster-cups/

- Put a thick rug with an thick rubber underthing under the piano.

- Maybe you can put some THICK sound absorption panels below and in front of the piano. I don't think that will help too much with the mechanical noises but if you try different materials and positions you might have more luck.

- My piano teacher has a huge 1cm thick felt pad on top of the piano for sound control. My old car was stuffed with foam and sandbags by the factory for noise control. Some audio guys line their car doors, floors and roofs with Dynamat or similar for dampening. You would need to find something inert and that won't leave all kinds of garbage inside your piano overtime. The Dynamat is messy asphalt-like so I suppose that will melt all over the action. Foam tends to deteriorate over a few years. Stringy polyester fill used in speakers might leave a mess. Frankly I don't think this will help too much with mechanical sounds.

CyberGene #2844684 05/03/19 03:41 AM
R
R
I’ve grown up with Ну, погоди! It was my favorite cartoon smile

Ну, погоди заяц! laugh I also watched that story cartoon in Poland in 80's.
BTW - what is the master keyboard which you playing on?

Kawai VPC1 | Arturia Minilab Mk2
Pianoteq 6 Pro | Synthogy Ivory II | Production Voices | Arturia Analog Lab Lite | Korg Collection
Roland Quad Capture | Neumann KH120 | Grado SR225i
trumpet Getzen, cornet Olds Ambassador
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Why is long sustain a good thing?
by Emery Wang - 11/23/20 11:48 PM
VI Playability
by Dore - 11/23/20 11:45 PM
Resonance? Vibration?
by 3B43 - 11/23/20 08:40 PM
Hear Rachy Play A Bosie - This Is Awesome!
by Jeanne W - 11/23/20 08:23 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,008
Posts3,026,458
Members99,352
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission