2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
42 members (Calavera, Alfred La Fleur, cygnusdei, chopin_r_us, Bob Husband, CharlesXX, audiophon, Carey, 10 invisible), 928 guests, and 739 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Oops, my mistake ! I will be more careful next time.

Last edited by Frédéric L; 01/22/18 03:41 PM.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Kraft's demo of SX7:

M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
I think I would like to see a SX7 demo with a Kawai VPC1 rather than a Arturia KeyLab 61.... just from pianists POV on this forum.

J
J
Originally Posted by CyberGene
These guys don't rest do they? I am impressed but what they do, need to retest another VIVO soon. Wasn't impressed one year ago but need to definitely try again.

Youtube vids of the S7 make a convincing case sound-wise - enough for me to take the plunge even without trying out a board first (wasn't able to locate an in-stock unit anywhere close enough to me). I assume the SX7 has the same engine as S7.

Sadly the reality has not lived up to the hype. Action is nice enough. Top- and bottom-end piano sounds are pleasant. Rest of the patches are OK, nothing special, but then I only bought it for the piano sounds anyway.

However the mid range piano is terrible - muffled, artificial, obviously digital sounding. There are adjustments that can be made but no way to sharpen up and brighten the tone without making it tinny. B2 to C3 is especially bad.

Very disappointing overall. To cap it all the unit delivered to me (directly from the UK distributor) was an open-box item rather than the new one I had been promised. What did they think - that I would pay full price for second-hand??

Playing a clunky 20yr-old Kurzweil PC88 side by side embarrasses the Dexi. Full of clarity, sparkle, depth.

My advice would be to definitely try before you buy, and if you can't, then think very carefully indeed before shelling out your hard earned cash.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Oh dear. Not a good experience for you then. Although you expressed a rather different opinion before...

Originally Posted by jaybee12
First impressions - great! Fatar action much nicer, smoother than anticipated; seems to me as if Dexibell may have worked on it themselves. Fast single note repetitions are easy, faux ivory keys pleasant to the touch. It is not a silent action by any means but I have not found that too loud to be distracting.

Biggest observation for me overall is that you can feel a real "connection" to the instrument when you play in a way that I haven't found on the bog-standard similarly priced boards I have fiddled with over the last few weeks - Kawais, Yamahas, Rolands.

Nord I reckon provide something similar, better as an overall package (although being Nord, at twice the price.) The Nord sounds I would say are more impressive out of the box. Dexis sound different rather than obviously worse, less rounded maybe, less full and rich also, but not far behind....

The board appears well built, light-ish considering the size....

J
J
Originally Posted by EssBrace
Oh dear. Not a good experience for you then. Although you expressed a rather different opinion before...

First impressions - great! Fatar action much nicer, smoother than anticipated; seems to me as if Dexibell may have worked on it themselves. Fast single note repetitions are easy, faux ivory keys pleasant to the touch. It is not a silent action by any means but I have not found that too loud to be distracting.

Biggest observation for me overall is that you can feel a real "connection" to the instrument when you play in a way that I haven't found on the bog-standard similarly priced boards I have fiddled with over the last few weeks - Kawais, Yamahas, Rolands.

Nord I reckon provide something similar, better as an overall package (although being Nord, at twice the price.) The Nord sounds I would say are more impressive out of the box. Dexis sound different rather than obviously worse, less rounded maybe, less full and rich also, but not far behind....

The board appears well built, light-ish considering the size....

As you well know and will see if you care to check that thread again, the first (good) impressions were made after playing using headphones; the second (negative) comments after using monitors.

Hence my request to you for monitors/speakers/amps recommendations (to which you actually replied if you have also forgotten that)

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I haven't forgotten anything. You liked it with headphones. If you don't like it with speakers/monitors then there's something wrong with your choice of speakers/monitors or there's some kind of mismatch. If a piano sounds great through headphones then you can't blame the piano. And I do wonder if you tried the 'Vivo Live' sound and whether you updated the software version on it?

I agree the main two original patches (Vivo Grand and Classic Grand) have a kind of tonal 'thickness' in the midrange. I like it personally but the same patch is reworked on 'Vivo Live" (available from software version 3.05 I think) and is much leaner sounding and a bit brighter throughout the range, especially the midrange. When I play my P7 through its onboard speakers I tend to use that patch.

J
J
I haven't forgotten anything. You liked it with headphones. If you don't like it with speakers/monitors then there's something wrong with your choice of speakers/monitors or there's some kind of mismatch. If a piano sounds great through headphones then you can't blame the piano. And I do wonder if you tried the 'Vivo Live' sound and whether you updated the software version on it?

I agree the main two original patches (Vivo Grand and Classic Grand) have a kind of tonal 'thickness' in the midrange. I like it personally but the same patch is reworked on 'Vivo Live" (available from software version 3.05 I think) and is much leaner sounding and a bit brighter throughout the range, especially the midrange. When I play my P7 through its onboard speakers I tend to use that patch.

I have Presonus Eris, great little monitors which have worked fantastically well with all my other boards.

And yes, the software has been updated, and yes I have tried Vivo Live, which is fabulous if you like a tinny sound with no depth or fullness.

For note Pianomike has been having similar issues with his S3. Maybe it is a Dexibell problem after all.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A

I have Presonus Eris, great little monitors which have worked fantastically well with all my other boards.

And yes, the software has been updated, and yes I have tried Vivo Live, which is fabulous if you like a tinny sound with no depth or fullness.

For note Pianomike has been having similar issues with his S3. Maybe it is a Dexibell problem after all.

Do you still like it through headphones?

J
J
Originally Posted by ando

Do you still like it through headphones?

The muffling/unnaturalness is nowhere near as prominent using headphones. On some pieces - louder ones or those with faster passages especially - the S7 still sounds decent (on headphones) as if the volume is masking any weakness in sound quality.

But there are other times, with more exposed mid-range passages or more delicate finger-work, when it just sounds plain wrong even through headphones. B2 and the following octave upwards (try playing a scale without reverb or pedal, as I will now do on every prospective instrument) is shocking, not like any piano I've ever played or would want to play.

That makes it unusable for me. Fine when you are bashing out a bit of Liszt to yourself through headphones. But useless when you're feeling a bit more sensitive and fancy some Schubert, Chopin or else want to feel like you're playing a real instrument and plug in to an amp.

D
D
I consider myself an amateur with some experience and I have recently bought a Vivo P3 online without testing, based on the experiences of the members of this forum that have and are happy with the P series. (I know, I should have tested it first, but there is no representation of Dexibell at my country:-)
I tend to agree that the instrument is very pleasant to play.
However, I hit the same problem as jaybee12: muffling/unnaturalness in B2 and C3 on speakers that is nowhere near as prominent using headphones. Tested it with my M-Audio BX3 monitors that I use with my babyface for Pianoteq, with a pair of Sennheiser 280 headphones and also with my pair of HD595.
After some investigation, it realized that the problem was in the action itself, as the key B2 was sending, on average, a velocity 6 levels below the others. This was tested by playing hanon exercice 1 and analyzing the output of a midi monitoring software on Excel. I reported the problem to Dexibell. Let's see if this is fixed as I'm really enjoying playing the P3.

A
arc Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by DPAfficionado
I consider myself an amateur with some experience and I have recently bought a Vivo P3 online without testing, based on the experiences of the members of this forum that have and are happy with the P series. (I know, I should have tested it first, but there is no representation of Dexibell at my country:-)
I tend to agree that the instrument is very pleasant to play.
However, I hit the same problem as jaybee12: muffling/unnaturalness in B2 and C3 on speakers that is nowhere near as prominent using headphones. Tested it with my M-Audio BX3 monitors that I use with my babyface for Pianoteq, with a pair of Sennheiser 280 headphones and also with my pair of HD595.
After some investigation, it realized that the problem was in the action itself, as the key B2 was sending, on average, a velocity 6 levels below the others. This was tested by playing hanon exercice 1 and analyzing the output of a midi monitoring software on Excel. I reported the problem to Dexibell. Let's see if this is fixed as I'm really enjoying playing the P3.

You should test the velocity values by pressing several adjacent keys at the same time. Using different fingers and an Hanon exercise says nothing about potential keyboard issues. Use for example the spine of an hardcover book (or any other hard object that will not damage the keys) to press a cluster of keys at the same time. Then measure the corresponding note-on velocities value using a MIDI monitor running on a PC or on iOS/Android device. Repeat multiple times.

A difference of 6 levels (out of 127) in velocity readings in different keys is not ideal but also not unexpected on a digital piano with a hammer keyboard. I would be surprised if the rest of your keyboard was perfectly calibrated. In any case, you need to first get better velocity measurements. If there is a real problem with the regulation or the sensor array you will need a technician to try to sort it out.

P
P
But had anybody tested SX7 or their compatible keyboard with the Platinum piano samples of Yamaha, Steinway, Fazioli, Bechstein, a Pleyel from 1850, and a Czech upright?
These samples are freely downloadable from the Dexibell website.
They are perhaps twice as large as their older freely downloadable piano samples, and they, in turn are much larger than the built-in piano samples.

All the discussions here were only about the built-in pianos.
But the reason to buy SX7 or not to buy should be based on the Platinum samples instead:
You can find demos of them on the Dexibell website as well as the downloadable Platinum library itself.

https://www.dexibell.com/prodotto/vivo-sx7/?lang=en/#sound-sx7

Look at the right side.
Expand "Piano".
Scroll down to Platinum Library.
Listen or download (if you have or are planning to get SX7)

Here are the direct links to the preview demo audio samples:
https://www.dexibell.com/dxs/Preview/EXP_Italian_Grand_PLT.mp3
https://www.dexibell.com/dxs/Preview/EXP_Japan_PLT.mp3
https://www.dexibell.com/dxs/Preview/EXP_German_PLT.mp3
https://www.dexibell.com/dxs/Preview/EXP_USA_PLT.mp3
https://www.dexibell.com/dxs/Preview/EXP_French_PLT.mp3
https://www.dexibell.com/dxs/Preview/EXP_Upright_PLT.mp3

But if you install the actual pianos, you will get several variations of each of them:
Grand, Live, Classic, Bright, Memory.

The Platinum samples are so big, that you will be able to load only two of those Platinum pianos at a time. At best. Perhaps only one.

There are also youtube demonstrations of at least some of those Platinum pianos, just search on youtube for "Dexibell Platinum".

As to the loading/playing of the samples.
SX7 has a 1.5 GB ROM with built-in instruments, 1.5 GB re-writable flash memory, and 1.5 GB RAM. You need to load your Platinum piano (or SF2, or anything) to the re-writable flash first, and then it is loaded from there to RAM. Loading from usb to RAM directly is for some reason not supported. And in order to load such big samples, you will need to delete some or all other instruments first. Don't worry, the built-in instruments remain in the ROM and can be always recalled.

Last edited by Parkher; 05/18/20 04:01 AM.
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I've had a Dexibell before and have used all the platinum sounds. I'm not super keen to be honest. There's a slightly raw, unrefined kind of quality to them, and they're a bit 'samey'. The USA Platinum is probably the best, as in it is the most polished and has fewer odd anomalies and has the most linear response. But they all have a somewhat metallic nature to them. Not one has a warm, woody character.

That said, although I didn't much like playing them, I think they do sound good to a listener. But it has been a missed opportunity. They could have found really distinct, characterful voices like Nord but for whatever reason, they didn't.

Although the original 'Vivo Grand' had a slightly weird 'thick' character in the midrange to me it is still the best sound they have. And it is certainly no less playable and/or expressive than the larger platinum sounds.

I do think Dexibell is a fantastic company and I think it is very clear they care a lot about their product. I applaud the innovations they have introduced and I always keep an eye on whatever's new.

P
P
EssBrace,

By any chance, are you familiar with GEM RP-X module?
It has Steinway and Fazioli in it.
Interesting how SX7 pianos compare to GEM RP-X.
One of reasons I am considering getting SX7 is to have a suitable backup for RP-X.
GEM is gone, if something happens to my RP-X, it might be difficult to repair it.
Although those piano sounds in RP-X are not perfect either. But still I somehow prefer them to large software pianos.

Also interesting how SX7 pianos (Platinum or others) compare to Kawai CA99 built in pianos.
I am waiting for CA99 delivery and I was thinking about expanding its piano brand range with SX7 - by routing audio from SX7 back to CA99.

Last edited by Parkher; 05/18/20 04:55 AM.
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Parkher
EssBrace,

By any chance, are you familiar with GEM RP-X module?
It has Steinway and Fazioli in it.
Interesting how SX7 pianos compare to GEM RP-X.
One of reasons I am considering getting SX7 is to have a suitable backup for RP-X.
GEM is gone, if something happens to my RP-X, it might be difficult to repair it.
Although those piano sounds in RP-X are not perfect either. But still I somehow prefer them to large software pianos.

Also interesting how SX7 pianos (Platinum or others) compare to Kawai CA99 built in pianos.
I am waiting for CA99 delivery and I was thinking about expanding its piano brand range with SX7 - by routing audio from SX7 back to CA99.

Yes, I owned (and enjoyed) the GEM RP-X many years ago. Their flagship sound was the Fazioli but I always preferred the Steinway because it did have a lovely warmth and a bit of woodiness to it. I'm not surprised you still use and like that module. From memory some of the patches were a bit hissy/noisy.

I don't think the Dexibell sounds (Platinum or otherwise) are better than the Kawai flagship sound (the SK-EX). They are not more playable, or more dynamic or, to my ears, more sonically pleasing. I'd take the SK-EX over any Dexibell sound but I do like the Dexibell, don't get me wrong. The 'Vivo Live' was a nice compromise and for me the most useable sound they have.

I have been using software pianos for a few weeks now and I'm struggling with the whole concept. What keyboard are you using? And are you in Europe?

P
P
There is also V3 Sound Grand Pianos XXL to consider with its Steinway and Bösendorfer.
Half the price and more than twice the internal memory of SX7. But no Fazioli.

What keyboard are you using? And are you in Europe?
Yes, in Europe. The land of € and VAT. You wouldn't know. € looks sort of like a boomerang. But when you throw them around, they never come back.
Currently I have four digital pianos/keyboards but none very good. Waiting for CA99.
An old GEM RPStudio. An old Casio PX-330. I should have upgraded it to PX-350 at least. And yet another one even older something.
Actually, I prefer RPStudio. PX-330 is a bit heavier and perhaps too bouncy compared to it.
I would buy a midi controller with a good action, if it existed. With real escapement detaching hammers from their keys.
I also have a Chromatone, which probably does not count, or rather all the others don't count smile

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
What? You haven't bought a GEM Promega 2+ yet? 😁

I wonder how many units the "new GEM" has sold.

But this is a Dexibell topic so nevermind...

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Parkher
There is also V3 Sound Grand Pianos XXL to consider with its Steinway and Bösendorfer.
Half the price and more than twice the internal memory of SX7. But no Fazioli.

What keyboard are you using? And are you in Europe?
Yes, in Europe. The land of € and VAT. You wouldn't know. € looks sort of like a boomerang. But when you throw them around, they never come back.
Currently I have four digital pianos/keyboards but none very good. Waiting for CA99.
An old GEM RPStudio. An old Casio PX-330. I should have upgraded it to PX-350 at least. And yet another one even older something.
Actually, I prefer RPStudio. PX-330 is a bit heavier and perhaps too bouncy compared to it.
I would buy a midi controller with a good action, if it existed. With real escapement detaching hammers from their keys.
I also have a Chromatone, which probably does not count, or rather all the others don't count smile

I always thought the Real Piano Studio was quite a good looking thing - it had something distinctive about its shape if I recall. If yours is still going I think you're quite lucky - most GEM pianos seem to fail after several years and they often seem to be unfixable when they do finally let go. I've an idea I had a Real Piano Studio for a short while but I've had so many I can't be sure! I know that before RP-X I had the 'Real Piano Expander' so for a good while I was well acquainted with the GEM piano stuff.

CA99 looks to be a fantastic piano - well worth the wait I'm sure.

I've listened very carefully to the V3 - which is no substitute at all for playing it of course - but I feel there might be something amiss with the velocity layers or something. I've heard enough to put me off it anyway. It also looks like a hassle to use because you have to send programme change messages via MIDI and without some lit buttons and/or little screen I'd never be confident I was on the right preset.

The Dexibell module is certainly a well-featured thing. If they could have made that for just under £500 I think they'd have flown off the shelves but it's a fair bit more expensive than that.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by clothearednincompo
What? You haven't bought a GEM Promega 2+ yet? 😁

I wonder how many units the "new GEM" has sold.

Indeed...there was a used one on eBay UK quite recently. I remember when they relaunched it they made a rather eccentric choice of the guy they got to demonstrate it at NAMM or Musikmesse or wherever it was. Not a great player, little or no product knowledge and wearing a cowboy hat or whatever it was. I think they shot themselves in the foot and missed a good opportunity to promote it in a professional way.

And of course I think technically it is still the same thing as it was 20+ years ago.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
Our Fall 2021 Free Newsletter is Out , see it here!
---------------------
Selling my Hammond & Leslie!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Modern U where is the sample folder located?
by MooganDavid - 10/25/21 11:33 PM
Introduction post
by An Old Square - 10/25/21 08:54 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,745
Posts3,142,054
Members103,116
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission