2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (CharlesXX, bcalvanese, AlkansBookcase, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, Carey, accordeur, 1957, 10 invisible), 2,154 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2843562 04/29/19 08:16 PM
T
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
T
My son is learning a piece which is quite faster for him (Revolutionary Etude if it matters). Playing it at full speed is challenging for him.

At the pace to complete the piece in around 4 minutes, he feels comfortable. When he tries to push it to around 3 minutes, his forearms get very tired very quickly. It seems he is able to play any segment at that speed, but not the whole thing together at one go. The teacher just suggests him to practice more.

I ask the teacher if it could hurt if he keeps pushing it. She said he was just tired, not pain or anything, so it should be OK.

When he pushes it, he feels the heat on his forearms. Is it really safe to keep pushing it?

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
No, it's not safe to keep pushing it when he feels heat in his forearms. He's playing with tension, and it's a recipe for disaster if he keeps practicing more in this way.

He needs feedback from an observer who can both identify what he's doing physically that is causing this tension, and can suggest how to adjust to get rid of the tension.

I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
I agree with Andamento.

T
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
T
I thought so. Glad I asked.

One problem is, he is not communicating with his teacher well. He doesn't really want to tell his teacher his problem like it makes him look weak or something. I have been observing on the sideline and decided to step in, and he is kind of mad at me now.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by The Monkeys
I have been observing on the sideline and decided to step in, and he is kind of mad at me now.

I think it is completely appropriate for parents to step in on health-related issues with their kids. And playing with tension is a health-related issue. If your kids appeared really sick and he refused to go to the doctor and was mad at you for suggesting it, you'd still make him go, right?

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Something else to consider is that the student may have reached a plateau at this stage in his technical development, and it may not be possible for him to play faster right now, even with further practice. If that's the case, hopefully the teacher could recognise it.

Private piano teacher
B. Mus., M.Mus. (piano performance & pedagogy).
T
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
T
The teacher said he should practice at least 4 times more than the amount of time he is currently spending on piano now per week.
Obviously, that is not going to happen, with his busy high school life. Many of the issues are attributed to lack of practices, for good reasons. I just wasn't sure about this one, at least not entirely.

Tyrone Slothrop, he said he knows his body better than I do, he knows when to go to see a doctor. He handed me the parent-teacher conference notice, and asked: "Can you not go? Please don't go... You are going? Can you not talk about me? ..... What to talk about? I don't know, anything, just don't talk about me. ..... Just listen, don't talk"

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Tyrone Slothrop, he said he knows his body better than I do, he knows when to go to see a doctor. He handed me the parent-teacher conference notice, and asked: "Can you not go? Please don't go... You are going? Can you not talk about me? ..... What to talk about? I don't know, anything, just don't talk about me. ..... Just listen, don't talk"

I hear you! Not going to tell you how to manage your kid, but I used to hear the same thing from my daughter. Yep. Nope. She could manager her own life when she turned 18, but until then...

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member

This sounds very typical. I have three students like that right now, and one of them is only in 7th grade.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission