Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
113 registered members (aphexdisklavier, Akaitsuki, AlphaBravoCharlie, Amanda_S, Arty Movie, Brahms4, 27 invisible), 1,418 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test [Re: jjo] #2844073
05/01/19 09:35 AM
05/01/19 09:35 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline OP
Tyrone Slothrop  Offline OP

6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by jjo
The test does a good job of testing test taking skills -- can you figure out what the person who make the test was looking for -- but has nothing whatsoever to do with musical skill, IMHO.

This could be said about most standardized test, including IQ test, could it not?

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test [Re: jjo] #2844074
05/01/19 09:36 AM
05/01/19 09:36 AM
UK
S
ShyPianist Offline
500 Post Club Member
ShyPianist  Offline
500 Post Club Member
S

UK
Originally Posted by jjo
The test does a good job of testing test taking skills -- can you figure out what the person who make the test was looking for -- but has nothing whatsoever to do with musical skill, IMHO.

Since I got 100% obviously I believe it has everything to do with musical skill lol!

You do need to have some listening skills but really pretty basic. Is the music going up or down? Is this phrase the same as that phrase, longer, shorter, different shape? How many instruments are playing. That's it really. What it has to do with shape associations is anyone's guess. My guess is nothing!

Last edited by ShyPianist; 05/01/19 09:37 AM.

Pianist, independent music arranger, violinist, mother
Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test [Re: jjo] #2844076
05/01/19 09:38 AM
South Wales
C
Colin Miles Offline
500 Post Club Member
Colin Miles  Offline
500 Post Club Member
C

South Wales
Originally Posted by jjo

Exactly

Roland LX7

South Wales, UK
Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test [Re: ShyPianist] #2844077

6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by ShyPianist
Since I got 100% obviously I believe it has everything to do with musical skill lol!

A musical genius! thumb smile

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2844078
05/01/19 09:39 AM
05/01/19 09:39 AM
UK
S
ShyPianist Offline
500 Post Club Member
ShyPianist  Offline
500 Post Club Member
S

UK
cool

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2844087
05/01/19 09:53 AM
05/01/19 09:53 AM
Israel
N
Nahum Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Nahum  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
N

Israel
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

But remember, they are only trying to have you decide the most likely choice.
Then we are not wrong, but they are. The logical form of assessment should be: 100% probability, 75% probability, 50% probability, 25% probability; or something like that.

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test [Re: Nahum] #2844090
05/01/19 10:01 AM
05/01/19 10:01 AM

6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Nahum
Then we are not wrong, but they are. The logical form of assessment should be: 100% probability, 75% probability, 50% probability, 25% probability; or something like that.

It's very possible they are wrong too. Although note that PW members, such as ShyPianist, already seemed successful with the test maker's own mapping. I doubt the test maker is a psychometrician, and I doubt these questions were tested on test subjects for validity.

I'd like to think it's the fault of the test maker that I only got 65%, and I am very glad I am in your good company as you are a better musician than I will ever hope to be! smile

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2844092
05/01/19 10:06 AM
05/01/19 10:06 AM
UK
S
ShyPianist Offline
500 Post Club Member
ShyPianist  Offline
500 Post Club Member
S

UK

It's very possible they are wrong too. Although note that PW members, such as ShyPianist, already seemed successful with the test maker's own mapping. I doubt the test maker is a psychometrician, and I doubt these questions were tested on test subjects for validity.

I'd like to think it's the fault of the test maker that I only got 65%, and I am very glad I am in your good company as you are a better musician than I will ever hope to be! smile

Remember I did it twice though, because their mapping made no sense at all to me the first time around!

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2844119
05/01/19 10:46 AM
W
wouter79 Offline
5000 Post Club Member
wouter79  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
W

Originally Posted by wouter79
>dumb.com ? Mmmm

And I don't see any test on their page, just an introduction text. No next button or whatever

You have to make sure that Adobe Flash is turned on in your browser.

This is almost the last hurray for this test. Soon no one will have Flash.

Ah that explains, thanks. Flash is arleady on the way out since 2017
https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases/2017/07/25/firefox-roadmap-flash-end-life/

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2844120
W
Whizbang Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Whizbang  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
W

Total: 95%
Pitch discrimination: 95.7%
Musical memory: 97%
Contour discrimination: 91.6%
Attention: 92.5%
Musical/visual abstraction: 94.3%

I would say that this test is a combination of musical aptitudes as well as ability to quickly tease apart symbolic abstractions--almost like interpreting a language.

The first part of the test does relate to purely musical skills. Skills like ability to remember phrases, separate out multiple voices, listen to the direction of the change of pitch, and analyze the construction of the phrases at a high level definitely do test some musical ability. Having poor musical ability here would almost certainly make the second part of the test a guessing game.

The second part is about translating that musical understanding and analysis into a symbolic language. It's not so much that the music should be evoking particular visual images but instead that specific elements in the diagrams--the use of the same shape versus different shapes, the use of different colors, and the presence of sloping arrows have attributes that represent different elements of the musical phrases.

That the shape is a triangle or a square or whatever is not directly representative of some sense of what the music should be evoking; rather, the shape is used in a consistent matter to represent something about the structure of the music and that meaning stays consistent across the exercises.

So this *is* a test where you are trying to get into the examiner's head but it is not wholly arbitrary. The test is structured like a primer... it begins with simple exercises that define the 'rules' in a rather isolated fashion and it ends with more complicated exercises that use a combination of rules.

Doing well on the questions in the latter half of the test likely requires that you spent the first part of the test trying to "break a code"

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2844137
05/01/19 11:20 AM
05/01/19 11:20 AM
Florida
cmb13 Online content

Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member

Florida
Okay I'm going to cancel my workday to begin this test....

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune
Bach Inventions
Grieg Sonata - Andante molto

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2844150
05/01/19 11:54 AM
05/01/19 11:54 AM
Finland
O
outo Offline
4000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O

Finland
Originally Posted by outo
Sorry to say I do not even get the idea behind the test. The selected shapes make no sense to me in relation to music. I could probably figure it out by just guessing myself through the test first, but don't see the point...

Like many questions on IQ tests, these are associations. So for example, here is a non-musical association to shapes - that is, instead of shapes, I am using numbers - and I've exactly seen this (or something very close to it) before on IQ-like tests:

Is the numeric sequence "2 5 8 5 2" like the shapes /\ or the shape \/ or the shape <> or the shape [] ? In this case, you one would consider the 5 numbers and note that they go up steadily to 8 and come back down the same way, so among the 4 visual shapes, the one that has the closest association would be the shape that also goes up and back down: /\.

This is how associations work between two types of objects which might not be immediately related. Obviously, in the case of the test, we are talking musical tones and not numbers, but frankly, tones and numbers map to each other.

I think now you might see how sequences of tones might relate to shapes. For example, if you have heard C-D-E-F-G-C-D-E-F-G, and you have a number of shapes to choose from, but one of them is / /, you might choose that one because it shows to identical lines slanting upward like the 'C-D-E-F-G'. On the other hand, you might not be given '/ /' as a choice, but instead one of the choices might be '[] []' Well this might also be a good association. Why? Because 'C-D-E-F-G' repeats twice, just like the '[]' repeats a second time in the shape. Obviously here, you are simply trying to choose one set of shapes which is better than the other choices. One final example: you hear C-D-E-F-G-C-D-E-F-G, but the second 'C-D-E-F-G' gets softer (diminuendo) while the first one stays at the same dynamic. One shape choice is '[] []' and another is '[] |>'. Here, the second one suggests the diminuendo while the first suggests an exact repeat, so you might select the second one instead as a better association than the first.

Do you understand how it works now, outo? If you've never seen this sort of thing before, I can completely understand your confusion.

I have done enough IQ tests to understand the concept, that was not the issue smile

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2844151
05/01/19 12:00 PM
05/01/19 12:00 PM
New York City
pianoloverus Online content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
pianoloverus  Online Content

New York City
I think now you might see how sequences of tones might relate to shapes. For example, if you have heard C-D-E-F-G-C-D-E-F-G, and you have a number of shapes to choose from, but one of them is / /, you might choose that one because it shows to identical lines slanting upward like the 'C-D-E-F-G'. On the other hand, you might not be given '/ /' as a choice, but instead one of the choices might be '[] []' Well this might also be a good association. Why? Because 'C-D-E-F-G' repeats twice, just like the '[]' repeats a second time in the shape. Obviously here, you are simply trying to choose one set of shapes which is better than the other choices. One final example: you hear C-D-E-F-G-C-D-E-F-G, but the second 'C-D-E-F-G' gets softer (diminuendo) while the first one stays at the same dynamic. One shape choice is '[] []' and another is '[] |>'. Here, the second one suggests the diminuendo while the first suggests an exact repeat, so you might select the second one instead as a better association than the first.
I cannot view the test, but if it works similarly to you explanation I think it's very flawed. One could hear and remember things very clearly but simply not be able to form the association with the shape which is a separate skill.

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test [Re: ShyPianist] #2844152
05/01/19 12:03 PM
05/01/19 12:03 PM
Finland
O
outo Offline
4000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O

Finland
Originally Posted by ShyPianist

Remember I did it twice though, because their mapping made no sense at all to me the first time around!

Exactly! But unlike you I did not feel like spending any time on it wink

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test [Re: outo] #2844163
05/01/19 12:34 PM
05/01/19 12:34 PM
Florida
cmb13 Online content

Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member

Florida

I have done enough IQ tests to understand the concept, that was not the issue smile

That many? What happened, did you fail the first few? Just kidding wink.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune
Bach Inventions

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test [Re: cmb13] #2844164
05/01/19 12:37 PM
05/01/19 12:37 PM
Finland
O
outo Offline
4000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O

Finland
Originally Posted by cmb13

That many? What happened, did you fail the first few? Just kidding wink.

I probably did smile

Actually as a psychology minor I was used as a guinea pig, it was a requirement for the courses to be available for all sorts of testing. Some of them were quite weird wink

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2844166
05/01/19 12:42 PM
05/01/19 12:42 PM
UK
S
ShyPianist Offline
500 Post Club Member
ShyPianist  Offline
500 Post Club Member
S

UK
Exactly! But unlike you I did not feel like spending any time on it

Having got an A in A level music and done really well in aural tests throughout all my exams, I was not going to be defeated by it ;-)

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2844169
05/01/19 12:49 PM
05/01/19 12:49 PM
Florida
cmb13 Online content

Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member

Florida
First attempt:

Pitch discrimination: 76.8%
Musical memory 70.6%
Contour discrimination 71.1%
Attention: 74.2%
Musical/visual abstraction: 76.9%

There is a learning curve as to what the symbols are designating. I didn't first understand that the red and black were different voices, and the arrows were pitch, so I got a few wrong in the beginning of the first attempt. Second one was...

Pitch discrimination: 91.3%
Musical memory 90.1%
Contour discrimination 95.2%
Attention: 95.7%
Musical/visual abstraction: 93.9%
Total 95%.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune
Bach Inventions

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2844179
05/01/19 01:34 PM
05/01/19 01:34 PM
Victoria, BC
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
BruceD  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Victoria, BC
This was on a first attempt, not initially sure of what I was doing:

Total score; 80%

Pitch discrimination: 76.8%
Musical memory: 79%
Contour discrimination: 79.5%
Attention: 78.5%
Musical/Visual abstraction: 78.5%

Regards,

Last edited by BruceD; 05/01/19 01:35 PM.

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2844187
05/01/19 02:02 PM
05/01/19 02:02 PM
Boynton Beach, FL
Morodiene Offline
Morodiene  Offline

Boynton Beach, FL
Total Score: 100%

Pitch discrimination: 100.0%
Musical memory: 100.0%
Contour discrimination: 95.2%
Attention: 97.8%
Musical/visual abstraction: 100.0%

I also had trouble the first time I did it because I had no idea what I was looking at. So I did 2 and then figured out what they were getting at, then restarted the whole thing. I can see how it test aural skills, and then you have to figure out how the picture may represent that sound. But strictly aural skills, I think.

There much more to musical intelligence than aural skills, so I think the test is valid for that very narrow aspect of musical ability.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  BB Player 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Progression suggestions
by Jake0254. 09/21/19 07:24 PM
Native Instruments NOIRE demo & short review
by Keunyoung Song. 09/21/19 05:38 PM
Need Help Determining The Damage Done To A Clavinova CLP-220
by Thedominationer. 09/21/19 04:46 PM
Big Swing Grand (Yamaha C6) for Kontakt
by Nor. 09/21/19 04:14 PM
DIY table stand for Roland FP10
by AlphaBravoCharlie. 09/21/19 03:37 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,149
Posts2,871,836
Members94,473
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission