2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
31 members (Charles Manekin, CyberGene, clothearednincompo, ChrisGoesPiano, dantheman1983, brendon, DH474, 11 invisible), 363 guests, and 462 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Piano for a High Schooler....
#2843384 04/29/19 08:49 AM
E
edl Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Hello ... I know nothing about pianos and wonder if it were you, what would you choose for a high school student moving up from an electronic keyboard - please assume the 2 units are in identical condition:

1977 Yamaha P202 upright for $1250 (serial indicates built in Michigan)
- one family owned - child inherited it and now wants to sell it;

or

1974 Kohler & Campbell upright for $350 (built in NY)

- one family owned - child inherited it and now wants to sell it;

Thanks!

Last edited by edl; 04/29/19 08:49 AM.
Re: Piano for a High Schooler....
edl #2843422 04/29/19 10:04 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Some questions.....

How do you know that the pianos are in identical condition? Have you had them checked out by a technician? (That's the only way you'd know for sure if any work needs to be done on them, and/or if the prices are reasonable..)

How tall is the K&C? (The Yamaha P202 is 45" tall).

How well were they maintained during their lifetimes? (family should be able to tell you)

Theoretically, the Yamaha should be the better piano - but that all depends.....The P202 was a very popular model in its day.

I own a 1976 Everett studio upright built in the same factory in Michigan as the Yamaha (Yamaha purchased the company in the mid 1970s). It has held up well over the years with minimal maintenance, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for a high school student seriously interested in improving his/her playing.

Just curious - what is the make/model of the electronic keyboard the student is currently using? Also - what is your max budget for purchasing a piano?

Last edited by Carey; 04/29/19 10:08 AM.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Carey #2843430 04/29/19 10:30 AM
E
edl Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Answers below:

How do you know that the pianos are in identical condition? Have you had them checked out by a technician? (That's the only way you'd know for sure if any work needs to be done on them, and/or if the prices are reasonable..)

[ANSWER: I don't know...I just wanted to take that variable out of the discussion to understand the theoretic difference between those models at those prices]

[ANSWER: K&C is 44" tall]

How well were they maintained during their lifetimes? (family should be able to tell you)

[ANSWER: stories are similar and they both state "well cared for" and always with the same family...as you say, only way to tell is inspection]

Theoretically, the Yamaha should be the better piano - but that all depends.....The P202 was a very popular model in its day.

[thank you ... this is what I was after]

I own a 1976 Everett studio upright built in the same factory in Michigan as the Yamaha (Yamaha purchased the company in the mid 1970s). It has held up well over the years with minimal maintenance, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for a high school student seriously interested in improving his/her playing.

[QUESTION: to be clear...you are saying a Yamaha P202 is not good enough for a high schooler to improve on? - if that is so, then i need to go back to the drawing board]

Just curious - what is the make/model of the electronic keyboard the student is currently using?

[ANSWER: Yamaha P-125]

Also - what is your max budget for purchasing a piano?

[ANSWER: $1250 is a little over our budget...we were hoping to stay at around $1000]

edl #2843462 04/29/19 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by edl
Answers below:
[ANSWER: I don't know...I just wanted to take that variable out of the discussion to understand the theoretic difference between those models at those prices]
OK
[ANSWER: K&C is 44" tall]

Comparable in size to the Yamaha.
[ANSWER: stories are similar and they both state "well cared for" and always with the same family...as you say, only way to tell is inspection]
True - "well cared for" could mean anything.
[thank you ... this is what I was after]

[QUESTION: to be clear...you are saying a Yamaha P202 is not good enough for a high schooler to improve on? - if that is so, then i need to go back to the drawing board]
No - I'm saying that a 42 year old Yamaha P202 MAY not be good enough for a high schooler to improve on based on age and depending (primarily) on condition. When I was a teenager my home piano was a BIG 50 year old upright. It wasn't great, but at least I was able to progress (and we paid $350 for it back in 1959). .
Just curious - what is the make/model of the electronic keyboard the student is currently using?
[ANSWER: Yamaha P-125]
Also - what is your max budget for purchasing a piano?
[ANSWER: $1250 is a little over our budget...we were hoping to stay at around $1000]
I completely understand and appreciate budget issues. Money doesn't grow on trees and there are so many competing needs for it. That said, you "might" want to consider a new, slightly higher end digital piano. Probably would have a better action than the P125, and wouldn't require tuning and other routine maintenance. On the other hand, the P202 may be fine for your needs..

Finally - I'm assuming that your Yamaha P-125 is fairly new - correct?

Last edited by Carey; 04/29/19 12:12 PM.

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
edl #2843468 04/29/19 12:28 PM
B
BDB Offline
B
If you are replacing a digital piano every few years, that is going to cost more than the maintenance on an acoustic piano.

Semipro Tech
edl #2843473 04/29/19 12:41 PM
E
edl Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Thanks

Do people generally agree that the Yamaha will be a better piano than the K&C?

edl #2843477 04/29/19 12:58 PM
B
BDB Offline
B
In general it is true that the Yamaha is better.

Semipro Tech
edl #2843479 04/29/19 01:09 PM
E
edl Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Thanks

edl #2843493 04/29/19 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by edl
Thanks

Do people generally agree that the Yamaha will be a better piano than the K&C?
In terms of initial build quality, yes. A tech will be able to tell you how much additional work (and $$) will be needed to get the piano up to snuff (beyond a basic tuning).

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
edl #2843547 04/29/19 06:16 PM
"40 years old well cared for" piano could mean nothing. I've tried a number of used Yamaha uprights (mostly U3) of around this age at several used dealers. Some of them, no matter the price, I would not prefer over a decent digital piano.
Sluggish keys, ear piercing bright tone, clunky damper pedal, noisy key and pedal mechanics.
They were described as in good condition, lightly used, and well maintained. I think the stores selling them just put in minimum effort to make it playable and in tune.

However, there are also good ones. These are ones from stores that do part changes, repair, and regulation before putting pianos on showroom floor. They perform almost as well as new ones.

Do you know if the pianos are in playable condition?
Could you go to see and play them first? If you really like one of them, then you should get a tech to inspect and estimate potential repair cost.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Hannon 1 and pinky soreness
by xlider - 12/01/20 03:36 AM
Keyboard when traveling
by xlider - 12/01/20 03:33 AM
Ravenscroft Help
by Grandman - 11/30/20 10:36 PM
loudness/projection vs. bright/mellow
by Piano Math - 11/30/20 08:19 PM
Growing up with an Acoustic Piano
by Deltajockey - 11/30/20 07:35 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,176
Posts3,029,123
Members99,438
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission