Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
88 registered members (Avalanch, anotherscott, 36251, Animisha, 21 invisible), 1,214 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: First Student Piano Recital - Any Advice? [Re: RyanThePianist] #2842805
04/27/19 01:25 AM
04/27/19 01:25 AM
C
Candywoman Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Candywoman  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C

I think it is good to build from least experienced to most experienced performers. Of course, you try to shake things up with duets, or not too many girls or boys in a row, or a pop song. The benefit is that years later, they see themselves advancing to the middle and then to the end of the program, so they know they are improving.

If you play, it should be at the end. Kids can feel deflated if they have to play after anybody who is significantly more advanced. It's better if you as the teacher do play but choose the piece wisely. I would not talk about your piece.

I would not talk too much about the kids or their pieces. However, I've written one or two lines about kids and their hobbies/sports on the program (with their permission). If you do, they may smell favouritism, though it's not intended. I announce all their pieces though because some grandparents can't read the program easily and it keeps everything running smoothly.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: First Student Piano Recital - Any Advice? [Re: RyanThePianist] #2842806
04/27/19 01:27 AM
04/27/19 01:27 AM
Orange County, CA
AZNpiano Offline
8000 Post Club Member
AZNpiano  Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Orange County, CA
Originally Posted by RyanThePianist
I'll be sure to make this into a potluck, though I'm not sure how I feel about students having a bunch of sugar or dirty hands during a recital. I know cheap foods like cupcakes and cookies are popular. Maybe I'll just ban sweets.

Two words: Chocolate cake.

That's all you need. It will be gone in 5 minutes.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Re: First Student Piano Recital - Any Advice? [Re: malkin] #2842807
04/27/19 01:31 AM
04/27/19 01:31 AM
Orange County, CA
AZNpiano Offline
8000 Post Club Member
AZNpiano  Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Orange County, CA
Originally Posted by malkin
My current experience is this:
The teacher never performs, saying that the event is about the students.
After performing, each student draws a name from a hat for the next performer. This has eliminated the stress about best students going last or having to follow a fabulous performance. Also after a less than perfect performance, the player can return to life while drawing the next name.

Previously, I took a group "piano for adults" class and we performed in the order that we ended up sitting on the pew in the former chapel where the great old piano lived. The only rule was "You may not talk while performing." We could start, stop, start over, delay, drag, skip or whatever, but there was to be no talking and at the end the performer stood and took a proper bow. Also no one allowed in the room who was not performing.

Sounds like you have an enlightened piano teacher.

But I do perform at my studio recitals, and usually at the beginning, just to scare the kids silly.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Re: First Student Piano Recital - Any Advice? [Re: RyanThePianist] #2842826
04/27/19 04:24 AM
04/27/19 04:24 AM
United States
R
RyanThePianist Offline OP
RyanThePianist  Offline OP
R

United States
Very interesting ideas. I will have to think about this as many ideas are conflicting as well, such me playing at the beginning or end, if at all. If my recital crashes and burns, at least we'll learn something, right? Again, I guess I am the one who knows my families best and I'm rather open to them, so we'll see what happens.

Novice Private Piano Teacher

BA Music, Biology Minor

Yamaha G3, Yamaha P-515
Re: First Student Piano Recital - Any Advice? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2842854
04/27/19 06:49 AM
04/27/19 06:49 AM
P
pianoMom2006 Offline
500 Post Club Member
pianoMom2006  Offline
500 Post Club Member
P

Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Originally Posted by RyanThePianist
I figured since most students have 2 pieces, 2 hours might even be more than enough (with an intermission).

If you are going to have an intermission, you could just divide this into two recitals, one after the other with the natural break being the intermission. The parents will thank you if they only have to attend one half or the other.

Just print two programs instead of just one, one for the students for the first half and the 2nd for the students for the 2nd half. Almost nothing will change except you get to make your welcome speech twice.

You can also invite everyone to "optionally" attend the other half if they desire. Then if there are any enthusiasts in beginners music, they can stay for both parts. I predict though that almost no one will take that option unless they are a child with a friend in the other session.

YES 100 percent!

Also-Parents will thank you too. Kids are so busy these days. Don’t worry about the reception being a sugar fest. The kids love it and recitals happen infrequently. If I can get my son to play piano at least an hour per day and a couple of times a year he eats cookies for dinner I think I’ve won. In my experience, most parents will bring junk food but a few will bring healthier options (fruit/ sushi etc)

Also there will always be rude parents. The super self centered ones that want their kid to go at the beginning or end so they can come late and leave early. I understand sometimes people have legitimate conflicts but when it happens every time it’s rude. Another type of parent that irks me is the one with the baby that doesn’t leave immediately when the baby starts to cry. The third type of parent that annoys me is the one that thinks my son looks “cute” and takes a FLASH picture of him up close during the middle of his performance when the parent gets up to leave.

Last edited by pianoMom2006; 04/27/19 06:52 AM.

Yamaha G2
Re: First Student Piano Recital - Any Advice? [Re: pianoMom2006] #2843208
04/28/19 12:18 PM
04/28/19 12:18 PM
Canada
pianist_lady Offline
pianist_lady  Offline

Canada
Originally Posted by pianoMom2006

YES 100 percent!

Also-Parents will thank you too. Kids are so busy these days. Don’t worry about the reception being a sugar fest. The kids love it and recitals happen infrequently. If I can get my son to play piano at least an hour per day and a couple of times a year he eats cookies for dinner I think I’ve won. In my experience, most parents will bring junk food but a few will bring healthier options (fruit/ sushi etc)

Having sweets after the recital also give people a reason to stick around for a few minutes after the recital, and I've found this a useful time to chat briefly with parents and congratulate students. I'm not an outgoing person, so the mingling feels like work, but it helps to maintain relationships with parents and other family members that I may only see at recitals.
Though, I have learned not to do things like making a piano-shaped cake or piping treble clefs onto dozens of sugar cookies! Simple is better.

Private piano teacher
B. Mus., M.Mus. (piano performance & pedagogy).
Re: First Student Piano Recital - Any Advice? [Re: pianist_lady] #2843273
04/28/19 05:46 PM
04/28/19 05:46 PM
*sigh* Salt Lake City
malkin Offline
5000 Post Club Member
malkin  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

*sigh* Salt Lake City
Originally Posted by pianist_lady

...mingling feels like work

If you are the teacher, mingling IS work.

Simple is better.

For treats, Tasty and easy to eat without making a mess is better. If baking is your thing, go for it, otherwise there are bakeries who will be happy to fill your order.

Learner
Re: First Student Piano Recital - Any Advice? [Re: malkin] #2843307
04/28/19 10:24 PM
04/28/19 10:24 PM
Boynton Beach, FL
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Morodiene  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted by malkin
Originally Posted by pianist_lady

...mingling feels like work

If you are the teacher, mingling IS work.

Simple is better.

For treats, Tasty and easy to eat without making a mess is better. If baking is your thing, go for it, otherwise there are bakeries who will be happy to fill your order.

Or parents who can bring something to pass. That's the easiest! wink

Personally, I try not to perform at recitals, but since I teach voice and accompany my students, they do get to hear me play anyways. I agree with the shorter times - but I'm trying to figure out how 34 beginner students could add up to 2 hours? Aren't their pieces like 15-30 seconds each? If you don't play, it is feasible to keep it under an hour even with 2 pieces being played.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: First Student Piano Recital - Any Advice? [Re: RyanThePianist] #2843575
04/29/19 10:10 PM
04/29/19 10:10 PM
M
mostlystrings Offline
mostlystrings  Offline
M

For 24 beginners with 1 min pieces x2, you might allot 3-4 min per person, plus the "except for one" who is not a beginner and whose pieces are longer, plus Ryan if he does 1 or 2 pieces (Arabesque is already 5 min). I'm padding the estimate because if you add up time getting to and from the piano, if there are a few words being said about the student or piece, if some students get stuck and pause and replay sections or something, if you add starting delays and intermission time...it could very well get close to 2 hours.

My last studio recital of solo performances was about 20 beginners (1 min allotment), 8 more advanced beginners (2 min), 4 intermediates (5 min), and without much ado with talking and transitions, ran about an hour. If they all got two pieces...

Re: First Student Piano Recital - Any Advice? [Re: mostlystrings] #2844221
05/01/19 03:22 PM
05/01/19 03:22 PM
New York
K
KL NY Offline
KL NY  Offline
K

New York
Originally Posted by mostlystrings
For 24 beginners with 1 min pieces x2, you might allot 3-4 min per person, plus the "except for one" who is not a beginner and whose pieces are longer, plus Ryan if he does 1 or 2 pieces (Arabesque is already 5 min). I'm padding the estimate because if you add up time getting to and from the piano, if there are a few words being said about the student or piece, if some students get stuck and pause and replay sections or something, if you add starting delays and intermission time...it could very well get close to 2 hours.

My last studio recital of solo performances was about 20 beginners (1 min allotment), 8 more advanced beginners (2 min), 4 intermediates (5 min), and without much ado with talking and transitions, ran about an hour. If they all got two pieces...

Is there any reason why not have 2 recitals when you need to keep the recital to 1 hour? IMO, it is too rush to have so many students in an hour.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What Piano is that?
by Jonky Ponky. 07/22/19 01:40 AM
Yamaha C1X SH2 (Silent) vs Yamaha N3X
by PianoStartsAt33. 07/22/19 12:36 AM
Isolating the left hand..
by Pianoperformance. 07/21/19 08:23 PM
How not to press with my 4th finger
by Veve87. 07/21/19 03:41 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,112
Posts2,850,541
Members93,934
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission