Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
75 registered members (Avalanch, AYS, Animisha, ChrisGoesPiano, barbaram, 5penguins, Ankee, bippysan, Arty Movie, 18 invisible), 1,287 guests, and 15 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
What music gives you the fizz? #2840565
04/19/19 04:32 AM
04/19/19 04:32 AM
Kent, UK
Simon_b Offline OP
Simon_b  Offline OP

Kent, UK
Hi

I was watching an old episode of Top Gear the other day and James May said this car doesn't give me the fizz. And that got me to thinking about music that did give me the fizz (whatever that means :)). Some of this relates to non-classical Piano!

I grew up in house full of music. My Dad (rip) was a big Jazz and blues fan. My Mum is a Jazz fan and sang to quite a high standard in local choir, performing at the Royal Festival Hall. She used to play the Piano quite well, when she was young. So growing up in the 60s and 70s Mum and Dad's parties were part of my music education as the music seeped through into my bedroom. The Atomic Mr Basie, Abbey Road, Bach's Toccata and Fugue in d minor, Simon and Garfunkel were all played at, ahem, great volume, normally to demonstrate Dads latest HiFi speakers!

So aside from that background what pieces of music really fizzed me?

Well one stands out particularly. Layla by Derek & the Dominos (Eric Clapton). I heard that on the radio in my Mums car; didn't know what it was but knew it I loved. Periodically I'd hear it every so often, and eventually I found out what it was and got a copy many years later. Something about the tone and quality of the lead guitar in the famous intro just fizzed me, and then to cap it all it had the great long Piano based outro.

The other more general fizz was given by boogie-woogie. I fell completely in love with it from the moment Dad first played something to me, even before I started playing the Piano. But once I started playing Piano that eventually became an obsession, until after many years Honky Tonk Train Blues became a party piece for me. That led onto Jerry Lee Lewis and then Elton John and then the whole damn universe of Piano. I'm not even discussing Jazz piano - just too much stuff!

Elvis Presley singing "If I could Dream" from the 1968 comeback special. Something about the quality of his voice, particularly at the climax of the track always gets me. I'm not one for lyrics to be honest, but that songs lyrical content adds to the magic.

The track Tipitina by Prof Longhair. I was completely obsessed with this track for a while. Especially a live version by Dr John.

Talking of which Dr John singing and playing Such a Night on the Last Waltz by the Band. Listened to that track hundreds of times.

I'll finish with The Band and the Last Waltz film. I've watched that film a ridiculous number of times. It led to my discovery of New Orleans Pianists, and Van Morrison et al. What a group The Band they were. There is a fantastic piece of footage of them performing King Harvest on YouTube here:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaKD1Vdarnw

There is something magical about them. Listen carefully to Levon Helm (the drummer) a completely unique player and a great rock singer. I even heard Keith Jarrett say that both he and Jack DeJonette loved his playing.

Well that's enough from me.....

Happy Easter

Simon
Yamaha CLP535
Vox Continental 73

Play what you enjoy listening to, listen to what you enjoy playing!

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: What music gives you the fizz? [Re: Simon_b] #2840722
04/19/19 05:56 PM
04/19/19 05:56 PM
Twin Cities
T
TonyB Offline
1000 Post Club Member
TonyB  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T

Twin Cities
Fnuuy thing about Layla by Derek & the Dominos (Eric Clapton)… When I got back from Vietnam, that tune was playing all the time on the radio. I had not heard it until I got back home. I thought it was a Vietnamese band at first, because the vocals sounded just like a Vietnamese band I heard when I first arrived in country near Saigon before shipping out to my unit. Of course, that band was playing the music we brought with us such as Grand Funk and CCR.

As for the OP question, my current musical preferences tend to solo instrumental piano or guitar, since those are what I play. For piano, I like David Lanz, Michele McLaughlin, Liz Story, and the like. I prefer similar music on solo guitar, such as Alex DeGrassi. The Windham Hill and Narada labels, and similar smaller labels provided much of that music. I have never been much for vocals, except artists such as Ella Fitzgerald (especially the Great American Songbook series) and similar. A lot of the more pop stuff just seems like people bellowing rather than having mature, developed voices, though there was some good singer/songwriter pop ballad stuff in the 1970s.

Tony

Re: What music gives you the fizz? [Re: Simon_b] #2841418
04/22/19 12:32 PM
04/22/19 12:32 PM
Left Coast of US
D
Docbop Offline
Docbop  Offline
D

Left Coast of US
Remember that great piano on Layla was the drummer Jim Gordon.

I was a roadie for awhile and worked for Bobby Whitlock keyboard player in Derek and the Dominos with his band right after Derek and Dominos broke up. It would really get to Bobby on tour people kept asking him to play Layla at gigs, not realizing it was Jim Gordon who came up with that piano part. Bobby is a great singer and B3 player.

Re: What music gives you the fizz? [Re: Docbop] #2841902
04/24/19 10:11 AM
04/24/19 10:11 AM
T
tend to rush Online content
tend to rush  Online Content
T

Originally Posted by Docbop

I was a roadie for awhile and worked for Bobby Whitlock keyboard player in Derek and the Dominos with his band right after Derek and Dominos broke up. It would really get to Bobby on tour people kept asking him to play Layla at gigs, not realizing it was Jim Gordon who came up with that piano part. Bobby is a great singer and B3 player.

Taking things wildly OT, here, but many say Gordon actually stole that piano coda from his former girlfriend, Rita Coolidge (former after he socked her in the jaw). Bobby's book described Jim Gordan (once one of those always busy LA session guys - and a protege of the late great Hal Blaine) as kind of a jerk, until he learned just how sick Gordon was after he brutally murdered his mother. Jim remains in prison.

Re: What music gives you the fizz? [Re: tend to rush] #2842026
04/24/19 06:11 PM
04/24/19 06:11 PM
Left Coast of US
D
Docbop Offline
Docbop  Offline
D

Left Coast of US
Originally Posted by tend to rush
Originally Posted by Docbop

Taking things wildly OT, here, but many say Gordon actually stole that piano coda from his former girlfriend, Rita Coolidge (former after he socked her in the jaw). Bobby's book described Jim Gordan (once one of those always busy LA session guys - and a protege of the late great Hal Blaine) as kind of a jerk, until he learned just how sick Gordon was after he brutally murdered his mother. Jim remains in prison.

I worked for Bobby for awhile and quit because he was a jerk, so pot calling the kettle thing. I still worked for Bobby's managers after I quit which show they knew Bobby's rep'. What was funny is about a month after I quit I ran into Bobby at the office and I wasn't sure how'd he act. So I say hello and we chit chat a bit then comes around to me quitting and Bobby say you learned something. I ask what? Bobby says... "Don't work for me, I'm an [censored]" and starts laughing.

Jim Gordon I once was around him once back when I was a recording engineer. We were doing a jjingle session and he was fine when doing a take, but in between he was so out of it. He dropped a cigarette and caught my sleeping bag on fire we were using to muffle his bass drum. He come back late from breaks and real late from the lunch break. We were listen to playback and starting hearing these other drums from somewhere bleeding in. We finally notice Gordon had a little cassette recorder and was recording himself and playing it back when we were in the control room. That was about a year before he was arrested and went to prison. What I hear in prison Jim stopped playing drums for years, then finally one of the inmate in the prison rock bank finally convience Jim to sit in and play, They said he still sounded good and now Gordon plays with them now and then.

I was around that whole crowd of Delaney & Bonnie, Leon Russell and the Oklahoma cats for awhile and a lot heard a lot crazy stories from them. I never heard that Gordon and Rita story but know same thing went on with Delaney hitting Bonnie during sessions. Sadly after they split up I was at some of Bonnie solo sessions and she was taking on Delaney's attitude and verbally abusing her BG singers. Then Rita lots of stories of what a PIA she is to work with out there.

As Billy Joel sang.... it's all rock and roll to me.

Re: What music gives you the fizz? [Re: Simon_b] #2842789
04/26/19 10:44 PM
04/26/19 10:44 PM
Upstate SC
dobro Offline
500 Post Club Member
dobro  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Upstate SC
I grew up with a baby boomer Beatle fan mom. She raised me on them and Elvis.

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently unit 4
Faber All In One -Level 2
Grateful Dead fan since 1987

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
To ice or not to ice...?
by Animisha. 10/14/19 06:39 AM
Edelweiss Sygnet G50
by Ronaldo777uk. 10/14/19 05:06 AM
The form of Monk's " Light Blue "
by Nahum. 10/14/19 05:00 AM
Insuring your piano
by Stitches. 10/13/19 07:14 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,512
Posts2,878,962
Members94,657
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission