2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (1957, Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,885 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
OP Offline
L
New to piano forums! I have recently obtained a 1931 Story and Clark player piano, which I would love to restore. Problem is...I have no idea where to start or where to obtain information on this model. Is it worth restoring?

Last edited by loukywells; 04/23/19 10:30 PM.
B
B
Hi there. Your first step is to engage the services of an RPT (Registered Piano Technician), who can give you an accurate appraisal of its condition. Depending on how well it has been maintained, it might only need a little work or it might be so decrepit that it's not worth the expense. If you post a picture, some of the experts here might be able to tell you a little more.

L
OP Offline
L
Stupid question...how do I post pics?

B
B
The only stupid question is the one not asked. smile If you go here, you'll be good to go.

D
D
If you are looking to restore the player system, that can be a major task. If so, I would suggest getting a copy of Player Piano: Servicing and Rebuilding by Arthur Reblitz. As far as an online resource for advice on the player, I would suggest the Mechanical Music Digest.

Dave In Denver
1916 Weber FR 6' Duo Art
L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by BigIslandGuy
Hi there. Your first step is to engage the services of an RPT (Registered Piano Technician), who can give you an accurate appraisal of its condition. Depending on how well it has been maintained, it might only need a little work or it might be so decrepit that it's not worth the expense. If you post a picture, some of the experts here might be able to tell you a little more.

Thanks BigIslandGuy! I did post some pics in the gallery so I hope it works.

[img]https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...-clark-player-piano-worth-restoring.html[/img]

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I suspect that you could by a new Yamaha Disklavier for what less than it would cost for a decent restoration of this piano. If you have several hundreds of hours of free time, plus a few thousand dollars for parts and materials, you might be able to do a passable job, although I would suggest that if you really want this to work, you start with something easier, like restoring a piano without a player first.

Semipro Tech
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BDB
I suspect that you could by a new Yamaha Disklavier for what less than it would cost for a decent restoration of this piano. If you have several hundreds of hours of free time, plus a few thousand dollars for parts and materials, you might be able to do a passable job, although I would suggest that if you really want this to work, you start with something easier, like restoring a piano without a player first.

Agreed - and with buying a Disklavier or similar, you'll know what it will feel and sound like before spending the $$$. Plus, you'll have time to play rather than spend repairing etc.

And if you don't want the player piano facility, you could buy a very nice new, or fairly young piano for what it'll cost you.

But, attempting a restoration without experience, besides possibly being quite expensive, will leave you with what? - possibly a piano you don't like.

OR

You might be able to get a technician to service it and repair any obvious problems and have an old piano which will maybe sound reasonable - and while they are there, ask for an assessment of whether it's worth spending time or money on it. I suspect not.

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Piano restoration is difficult, complicated, and generally expensive. You have to start with a piano that’s actually worth the time, labor, and parts to warrant restoration. I learned piano on a Story & Clark upright so I understand the sentimental attachment. The key questions to ask the RPT is how much will this cost to restore and how good a piano will this be when it’s done? How will it sound? How will it be to play when I’m not using the player? Like backto_study_piano mentioned it’s probably not worth the effort or expense.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
No, just no.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
S
S
Originally Posted by Learux
No, just no.

And if "no" doesn't convince you, I would add:

RUN away from this project. Even pros don't restore old players without a gun to their head.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

Originally Posted by Steve Cohen
And if "no" doesn't convince you, I would add:

RUN away from this project. Even pros don't restore old players without a gun to their head.

Got a call a couple of years ago from a friend in the piano business. They said they had an old Chickering baby grand player piano they wanted to give me that had my name written all over it.

I declined the gift player piano, (with a thanks anyway to my friend, of course) although it would have been nice to have an old piano with my name written all over it... smile

Personally, I don't particularly like player pianos, but that is just me. Heck, I want to be the one playing it, or at least trying to.

Lots of good advice here. My advice? Advice is sort of like opinions... there are many and variable. Sometimes we have to make a mistake in order to learn a valuable lesson. Or, perhaps... dang, I should have taken their advice. smile

Good luck, and welcome to Piano World!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
B
BDB Offline
B
What you do as a hobby project is unrelated to its economic value. Just be advised that this is not simple, that the parts and materials may be expensive and difficult to source, that it consists of two projects: restoring the piano, which is in relatively poor shape for its age, and restoring the player, and that if you screw up on either of those projects, the results will not be good.

A Registered Piano Technician is not necessarily someone you should consult about this. The testing that the Piano Technicians Guild does for that designation does not cover player pianos nor piano rebuilding. Someone who has those skills may or may not even be a member of the Piano Technicians Guild.

A better resource for information would be the Automatic Musical Instrument Collectors' Association.

Semipro Tech
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by j&j
. You have to start with a piano that’s actually worth the time, labor, and parts to warrant restoration.

I disagree -- if your objective is to learn how to work on pianos, best start with a freebie junker on which to make your mistakes. Move up to pianos that still have a chance once you've got some skill and knowledge.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
B
BDB Offline
B
I forgot to mention one thing: Restoring this piano will require a considerable investment in tools and space.

Semipro Tech
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JohnSprung
Originally Posted by j&j
. You have to start with a piano that’s actually worth the time, labor, and parts to warrant restoration.

I disagree -- if your objective is to learn how to work on pianos, best start with a freebie junker on which to make your mistakes. Move up to pianos that still have a chance once you've got some skill and knowledge.

I wasn’t aware the OP was looking to do the restoration himself. To learn restoration be sure to start on free junkards. For someone who wants a restoration done by someone else, make sure it’s worth the money before you start. A junk piano restored is still a junk piano.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Aurthur Reblitz; Player Piano, Servicing and Rebuilding.
It sounds like you will need to get his other book as well; an introduction to normal piano repair.

Is this project worth it?
You will spend your time and money.
Your reward will be a sense of satisfaction and an entertaining contraption.

Craig Hair
Hampshire Piano
Chesterfield, MA
Conservative Piano Restoration
Watch us on YouTube

I've learned better than to shout,"Eureka!"
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I would suggest that you go to a technician that restores them and offer to work for free. He gets free labor, and you learn a craft.
-chris

J
J
Sorry, I would not bother with a piano that has that much rust. It's a good indication that it has lived in that basement too long and seen far too much moisture. Tuning those rusty strings may be nearly impossible without breakage. I would expect other moisture related damage. I see much more worthy player piano projects on Facebook Marketplace everyday for free or very inexpensive.

Some of my keyboards:
1912 Ritmuller Art Case Grand, 1976 Baldwin Hamilton 243, 1973 Hammond C3, 1987 Yamaha HX-1, Casio PX-160, Casio PX-130, 3 Older Clavinovas, 2 pump organs, and an assortment of other toys.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission