Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
116 registered members (Ankee, Abdol, akc42, Animisha, Alex Hutor, Akaitsuki, Andrew_G, aphexdisklavier, 31 invisible), 1,269 guests, and 467 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Would you buy a Yamaha N2 today? [Re: navindra] #2842175 04/25/19 03:35 AM
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 8,365
Tyrone Slothrop Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 8,365
Originally Posted by navindra
but I'm allergic to headphones

Originally Posted by thomscot
I feel pretty much the same way. BUT, I have yet to try that binaural thing.

There are hypoallergenic headphone pad covers for those who are allergic.


across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
(ad) SWEETWATER Lowest Prices
Re: Would you buy a Yamaha N2 today? [Re: thomscot] #2842222 04/25/19 06:40 AM
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 69
P
percy64 Offline
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
P
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 69
Originally Posted by thomscot


I feel pretty much the same way. BUT, I have yet to try that binaural thing.

Irrespective of whether you use headphones it is probably worth while listening to both N2 and N1X through headphones to get a better comparison of the in built piano sounds. The only real downside of buying the N2 now would be older piano sound. If you don't have a strong preference for the newer sound then the N2 would be a good purchase. I think everyone is assuming there will be an N2X sometime but it may still be a year or two away.

As others have said it is well worth considering the NV10

Re: Would you buy a Yamaha N2 today? [Re: thomscot] #2842233 04/25/19 07:15 AM
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,945
P
Pete14 Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
P
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,945
Yamaha might be following forums like this one, after all.
Think of how the original AvantGrand was released in a very straightforward and somewhat expected manner: N3 followed by N2 and then N1.
Now it’s a mess, but is this intentional to throw us ‘leakers’ off?
We’re not as insignificant -in the grand scheme of things- as some might assume. The first thing prospective buyers (of anything) do is to research online; as a matter of fact, many queries lead directly to us (nerds), and soon to cynicism, skepticism, and outright anger towards the evil empires. Newcomers swiftly learn the true ways of ‘innovation’ and inflated MSRP’s; they also learn to follow on new release cycles and wait-it-out (for the most part) either to get the new model or a discount on outgoing models.
They’re watching, I tell you!

Re: Would you buy a Yamaha N2 today? [Re: thomscot] #2842354 04/25/19 01:51 PM
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,945
P
Pete14 Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
P
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,945
You guys, why aren’t we all over this -they’re watching us- conspiracy theory?
Isn’t this what we live for? laugh

Re: Would you buy a Yamaha N2 today? [Re: Pete14] #2842371 04/25/19 02:31 PM
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 3,789
G
Gombessa Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Offline
3000 Post Club Member
G
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 3,789
Originally Posted by Pete14
You guys, why aren’t we all over this -they’re watching us- conspiracy theory?
Isn’t this what we live for? laugh


Honestly, if we were that important to them, they'd be doing a lot more to interact with and manipulate the forums. I have a feeling Kawai James is only here because he wants to be and has convinced his bosses that it's worth Kawai's time. I don't get the sense he gets called into the manager's meeting to prove he's made his quota of weekly PW posts smile


Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
Re: Would you buy a Yamaha N2 today? [Re: Pete14] #2842381 04/25/19 02:58 PM
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,868
MacMacMac Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,868
And when you say that "they" are watching us... you must surely mean "Russians" and "Putin", right? smile
Originally Posted by Pete14
You guys, why aren’t we all over this -they’re watching us- conspiracy theory?
Isn’t this what we live for? laugh

Re: Would you buy a Yamaha N2 today? [Re: Pete14] #2842386 04/25/19 03:16 PM
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,180
Chrispy Offline
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Offline
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,180
Originally Posted by Pete14
Yamaha might be following forums like this one, after all.
...
They’re watching, I tell you!


If they are, they certainly haven't reached out about my N1X that's coming apart at the seams!


Now learning: Chopin C# minor Nocturne (posth) and C minor Prelude (big chords)
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Kawai ES110, Roland GO:PIANO
Re: Would you buy a Yamaha N2 today? [Re: thomscot] #2842387 04/25/19 03:19 PM
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,945
P
Pete14 Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
P
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,945
And how are we certain that James isn’t an undercover agent? grin
Just recently he provided coordinates to a member (also a spy?) looking for a place to rendezvous in Tokyo. This could be part of a massive plot to axe the VPC1!

Re: Would you buy a Yamaha N2 today? [Re: Pete14] #2842396 04/25/19 03:37 PM
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 3,789
G
Gombessa Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Offline
3000 Post Club Member
G
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 3,789
Hidden surveillance is one thing. Putin monitoring PW I can stomach. Setting up an international rendezvous with an informant, totally par for the course.

Originally Posted by Pete14
axe the VPC1!


But NOW we're officially off-topic!


Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
Re: Would you buy a Yamaha N2 today? [Re: thomscot] #2842413 04/25/19 05:04 PM
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,868
MacMacMac Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,868
But ... we're frequently off topic! smile

(Somebody should open a new topic called "Off-Topic".)

Re: Would you buy a Yamaha N2 today? [Re: thomscot] #2842482 04/25/19 09:31 PM
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 173
R
redfish1901 Offline
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
R
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 173
My theory on the N2 is that it's actually getting discontinued, because it is the slowest seller among the AvantGrands.

N1 has the appeal that it's the cheapest model, so if one is interested in the best action DP, it's a good choice.

N3 has the appeal that it's shaped like a grand, and people who would normally buy grands buy them. I saw it on a cruise ship once--that seemed like a perfect use case.

N2 is a betweener, which seems like a good idea, but it seems the appeal is limited. And because it's so dated now it's forcing people who might have bought the N2 into buying the N3X.

I wish I had better data on sales, but searching youtube videos, I see more owners of N1 and N3 than the N2.

Last edited by redfish1901; 04/25/19 09:32 PM.
Re: Would you buy a Yamaha N2 today? [Re: redfish1901] #2842487 04/25/19 09:48 PM
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 3,789
G
Gombessa Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Offline
3000 Post Club Member
G
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 3,789
Originally Posted by redfish1901
My theory on the N2 is that it's actually getting discontinued, because it is the slowest seller among the AvantGrands.

I wish I had better data on sales, but searching youtube videos.


Interesting. I recall seeing more N2 owners than N1/N3...but who know's what's going to happen to the Yamaha lineup. The N1X does seem to be making quite a splash! If you can back up your sales projections I think that would go a long way to justifying your claim.


Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
Re: Would you buy a Yamaha N2 today? [Re: thomscot] #2842499 04/25/19 10:45 PM
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 2,758
johnstaf Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 2,758
I'd buy the N2 because it's smaller than the N1. I think the N3 is hideous. I'd buy an N2 instead of waiting for the N2X if I got a good deal.

Re: Would you buy a Yamaha N2 today? [Re: thomscot] #2842510 04/25/19 11:46 PM
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 2,758
johnstaf Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 2,758
Ok maybe not hideous, but I don't happen to like that shape of digital piano.

Re: Would you buy a Yamaha N2 today? [Re: johnstaf] #2842517 04/26/19 01:02 AM
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 18
T
thomscot Offline OP
Junior Member
OP Offline
Junior Member
T
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 18
Originally Posted by johnstaf
I'd buy the N2 because it's smaller than the N1.


Same for me actually. In my case not the N3 but I don't really like the esthetic of the N1X. It looks weird to me. That's probably the least important thing, but it kind of matters too. After all it's something that's in front of your eyes every day. (To be honest I don't love the N2 shape either, but better than the N1).

Re: Would you buy a Yamaha N2 today? [Re: redfish1901] #2842518 04/26/19 01:03 AM
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 62
J
jve Offline
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
J
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 62
Originally Posted by redfish1901
My theory on the N2 is that it's actually getting discontinued, because it is the slowest seller among the AvantGrands.

This is what my Yamaha dealer tells me -- the N2 will be discontinued, there will be no N2X. I have no reason to doubt him, for instance, he told me about the forthcoming N1X back in August, although he had several unsold N1 units in stock.

He did point out that the N2 has been a very slow seller in Europe, so maybe he is referring to the European market when he says the N2 will be discontinued. As always, these are only rumours – so take them with a pinch of salt...

Re: Would you buy a Yamaha N2 today? [Re: jve] #2842609 04/26/19 09:19 AM
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 217
J
JJHLH Offline
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
J
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 217
Originally Posted by jve
Originally Posted by redfish1901
My theory on the N2 is that it's actually getting discontinued, because it is the slowest seller among the AvantGrands.

This is what my Yamaha dealer tells me -- the N2 will be discontinued, there will be no N2X. I have no reason to doubt him, for instance, he told me about the forthcoming N1X back in August, although he had several unsold N1 units in stock.

He did point out that the N2 has been a very slow seller in Europe, so maybe he is referring to the European market when he says the N2 will be discontinued. As always, these are only rumours – so take them with a pinch of salt...


If true that’s very disappointing. I was looking forward to trying the N2X.


Yamaha N1X, P-515. Garritan CFX. Genelec 8331 monitors.
Re: Would you buy a Yamaha N2 today? [Re: jve] #2842612 04/26/19 09:25 AM
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 8,365
Tyrone Slothrop Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 8,365
Originally Posted by jve
Originally Posted by redfish1901
My theory on the N2 is that it's actually getting discontinued, because it is the slowest seller among the AvantGrands.

This is what my Yamaha dealer tells me -- the N2 will be discontinued, there will be no N2X.

If true, Yamaha might want to look at ways to lower the cost of the N3X. Right now, there is a factor of 2 difference in the price between the N1X and N3X.


across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Would you buy a Yamaha N2 today? [Re: thomscot] #2842639 04/26/19 10:42 AM
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,945
P
Pete14 Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
P
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,945
....but Yamaha has lowered the price for the N3X; the problem is they don’t tell us.
Here’s how it works: the inflated MSRP remains; however, the dealer can go much lower than that depending on the sucker setting foot in his store. As the dealer greets you he is also sizing you up; if he determines that you haven’t got a clue about the scheme (scam) you will not get the -new- lower price. If he determines that you are aware of this and perhaps even more informed than him in terms of specs and what these truly mean in practical terms (gimmicks from essentials), then he will give you the way-lower price and even throw in a complimentary towel.

For some perspective, when the N2 first came out I was quoted $7,500 out the door. The MSRP was $15,000. You can rest assured that many paid close to the MSRP.

Re: Would you buy a Yamaha N2 today? [Re: redfish1901] #2842647 04/26/19 10:55 AM
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,019
36251 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,019
Originally Posted by redfish1901
My theory on the N2 is that it's actually getting discontinued, because it is the slowest seller among the AvantGrands.

N1 has the appeal that it's the cheapest model, so if one is interested in the best action DP, it's a good choice.

N3 has the appeal that it's shaped like a grand, and people who would normally buy grands buy them. I saw it on a cruise ship once--that seemed like a perfect use case.

N2 is a betweener, which seems like a good idea, but it seems the appeal is limited. And because it's so dated now it's forcing people who might have bought the N2 into buying the N3X.

I wish I had better data on sales, but searching youtube videos, I see more owners of N1 and N3 than the N2.


Not producing an N2X would be good news for N2 owners like myself. It would help keep their value.


AG N2 | PX S3000 | REFACE CP | GK MK & MP amps
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
accessories!
by TheophilusCarter - 12/07/19 01:30 PM
What a Beethoven workout
by joggerjazz - 12/07/19 10:39 AM
Great Crush Collision March by Joplin
by leemeadowcroft - 12/07/19 10:29 AM
Summer Music Camps 2020?
by Sam S - 12/07/19 09:37 AM
CA58 vs CN39
by Louise11 - 12/07/19 05:22 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,543
Posts2,899,399
Members95,167
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers


Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

 Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers


 
Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
 
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |


copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3