Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
88 registered members (AndyOnThePiano, Bruce In Philly, Akaitsuki, Boboulus, Beowulf, ars3niy, 36251, 18 invisible), 1,004 guests, and 496 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: OT: Devastating News -- Notre Dame Fire [Re: BruceD] #2840233 04/17/19 01:39 PM
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,262
J
JohnSprung Offline OP
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,262
Originally Posted by BruceD
There is talk that non-flammable modern elements should be used in the reconstruction resulting in a changed appearance of the cathedral. This would have historical impact, but one that is not without precedent. When other significant, historical structures have been damaged, repair has often used techniques that were more modern than those used to construct the original.


Indeed. Gothic construction is inherently unsafe by today's standards. No way would anybody ever get a Building & Safety permit to do that again. These buildings are just stacks of carefully shaped stone. There's no mortar, no steel, I don't even know if they used keys the way the ancient Greeks and the Stonehenge folks did. Collapses during construction were a real problem, particularly when taking out the temporary wooden supports under the arches and buttresses. It's amazing that these houses of cards have lasted as long as they have.


-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: OT: Devastating News -- Notre Dame Fire [Re: johnstaf] #2840243 04/17/19 02:35 PM
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 1,330
I
Iaroslav Vasiliev Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 1,330
Originally Posted by johnstaf
According to one of the organists at Notre Dame, it hasn't been damaged by fire or water, but it is covered in soot, and needs to be dismantled and cleaned.

Great news indeed!

That organ is so powerful, I was shocked when I heard it. I hope to have this experience again some day.


Re: OT: Devastating News -- Notre Dame Fire [Re: Iaroslav Vasiliev] #2840295 04/17/19 07:14 PM
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 965
B
Bosendorff Offline
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
B
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 965
Originally Posted by Iaroslav Vasiliev
That organ is so powerful, I was shocked when I heard it.

About removing the soot out of all the organ pipes, I would first try a few full 5-octave fermata cluster chords at maximum wind power with all the stops pulled. The organist of course would need to put on a mask first. grin

Re: OT: Devastating News -- Notre Dame Fire [Re: JohnSprung] #2840304 04/17/19 08:45 PM
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,578
malkin Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,578
I hope they hide a nice modern sprinkler system in the rebuild.


Learner
Re: OT: Devastating News -- Notre Dame Fire [Re: Bosendorff] #2840317 04/17/19 10:00 PM
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,373
backto_study_piano Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,373
Originally Posted by Bosendorff
About removing the soot out of all the organ pipes, I would first try a few full 5-octave fermata cluster chords at maximum wind power with all the stops pulled. The organist of course would need to put on a mask first. grin

I was involved in arranging repairs after 2 fires in a school where I was Business Manager. There wasn't only dusty soot, but also a slimy, greasy smoky coating on every surface in the building. Difficult to remove - though the professionals had stuff which did.

I play a digital Allen in my own Church (also Pipe Organ in another Church 2 Sunday mornings a month). There is an old, very small, not very capable Pipe Organ there which isn't working any more due to water damage, hence the Allen. When I first got there on Sundays, I'd fire the Pipe Organ up and played with all stops (all 7!!) to settle the temperature. I was always sniffly after that, I reckon because of dust being blown out.


Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
Re: OT: Devastating News -- Notre Dame Fire [Re: JohnSprung] #2840323 04/17/19 10:57 PM
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 3,997
PhilipInChina Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 3,997
Main thing is, don't employ anyone from Chesterfield to rebuild it.


Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
Re: OT: Devastating News -- Notre Dame Fire [Re: JohnSprung] #2841199 04/21/19 12:33 PM
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 387
T
tend to rush Offline
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
T
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 387
NPR Update on the Organ

Re: OT: Devastating News -- Notre Dame Fire [Re: tend to rush] #2841222 04/21/19 01:37 PM
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 9,498
Carey Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 9,498
Originally Posted by tend to rush
NPR Update on the Organ
Good article - but somewhat misleading headline.


Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Re: OT: Devastating News -- Notre Dame Fire [Re: JohnSprung] #2841276 04/21/19 07:00 PM
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 3,029
WhoDwaldi Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 3,029
I haven't heard about Vierne's console and how it fared during the fire (the great organist and composer suffered a stroke and died during a recital--the old console was replaced by modernizations, but kept for display).

St.-Sulpice, where the "other" (some say greater) organ in Paris is located, had a minor fire just recently--that organ is said to be OK.

Perilous time for pipe organs in Paris!


WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
Re: OT: Devastating News -- Notre Dame Fire [Re: JohnSprung] #2841281 04/21/19 07:11 PM
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 3,029
WhoDwaldi Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 3,029


WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
Re: OT: Devastating News -- Notre Dame Fire [Re: JohnSprung] #2841801 04/23/19 11:02 PM
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 3,997
PhilipInChina Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 3,997
I have been asked, by PM, to explain my reference to Chesterfield.

Chesterfield is a small town in Derbyshire, England. It is famous for the spire on the church there:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/chesterfields-crooked-spire

Apparently some confusion has arisen as there is a "stencil" town called Chesterfield in one of our colonies. I was referring to the original, not the ersatz.


Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
Re: OT: Devastating News -- Notre Dame Fire [Re: PhilipInChina] #2841835 04/24/19 03:35 AM
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 1,330
I
Iaroslav Vasiliev Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 1,330
Originally Posted by PhilipInChina
Chesterfield is a small town in Derbyshire, England. It is famous for the spire on the church there:

I bet 0.01% of Earth population know about the spire on the church there and the rest 99.99% know Chesterfield as a brand of cigarettes. smile

Re: OT: Devastating News -- Notre Dame Fire [Re: JohnSprung] #2841882 04/24/19 07:16 AM
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,066
D
David-G Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Offline
2000 Post Club Member
D
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,066
I am in the 0.01% I am afraid.

Re: OT: Devastating News -- Notre Dame Fire [Re: Iaroslav Vasiliev] #2842266 04/25/19 08:59 AM
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,784
A
ando Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Offline
5000 Post Club Member
A
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,784
Originally Posted by Iaroslav Vasiliev
Originally Posted by PhilipInChina
Chesterfield is a small town in Derbyshire, England. It is famous for the spire on the church there:

I bet 0.01% of Earth population know about the spire on the church there and the rest 99.99% know Chesterfield as a brand of cigarettes. smile

For me Chesterfield is a type of couch...

Re: OT: Devastating News -- Notre Dame Fire [Re: David-G] #2842275 04/25/19 09:21 AM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 11,640
Rich Galassini Offline
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Offline
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 11,640
Phillippe Lefebvre said, "When you play this organ, the stones sing."

They will sing again! From the NY Times:
The Article


Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Phila, Pa.
(215) 991-0834 direct line
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Subscribe to our YouTube channel for great content every week:
https://www.youtube.com/user/CunninghamPiano
Re: OT: Devastating News -- Notre Dame Fire [Re: JohnSprung] #2842285 04/25/19 09:41 AM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 11,640
Rich Galassini Offline
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Offline
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 11,640


Photos:

[Linked Image]
The Console


[Linked Image]
Coating from the fire


Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Phila, Pa.
(215) 991-0834 direct line
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Subscribe to our YouTube channel for great content every week:
https://www.youtube.com/user/CunninghamPiano
Re: OT: Devastating News -- Notre Dame Fire [Re: ando] #2842467 04/25/19 08:07 PM
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,373
backto_study_piano Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,373
Originally Posted by ando
Originally Posted by Iaroslav Vasiliev
Originally Posted by PhilipInChina
Chesterfield is a small town in Derbyshire, England. It is famous for the spire on the church there:

I bet 0.01% of Earth population know about the spire on the church there and the rest 99.99% know Chesterfield as a brand of cigarettes. smile

For me Chesterfield is a type of couch...

thumb Yep - that was my only thought.


Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
Re: OT: Devastating News -- Notre Dame Fire [Re: JohnSprung] #2842603 04/26/19 09:00 AM
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 2,758
johnstaf Online Crying
2000 Post Club Member
Online Crying
2000 Post Club Member
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 2,758
I'm surprised that Chesterfield isn't better known worldwide. It has a very British mix of old-fashioned charm and a touch of eccentricity. Well I suppose in this case it's more than a touch... smile

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Near Field Monitors With 8 Inch Drivers ?
by AndyOnThePiano - 12/07/19 09:22 PM
Cool discovery
by Jitin - 12/07/19 09:08 PM
N1X vs 7" Kawai Acoustic
by David B - 12/07/19 09:06 PM
Opinions on Kawai Piano
by imisch - 12/07/19 06:20 PM
Undercover” To offset drafts
by Coda9 - 12/07/19 06:10 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,549
Posts2,899,495
Members95,175
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers


Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

 Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers


 
Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
 
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |


copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3