Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
153 registered members (astrotoy, AndrewJCW, 36251, Abdol, AcousticAndre, anamnesis, Antihero, 42 invisible), 2,293 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 495 of 506 1 2 493 494 495 496 497 505 506
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2838351
04/12/19 08:11 AM
04/12/19 08:11 AM
B
barbaram Offline

1000 Post Club Member
barbaram  Offline

1000 Post Club Member
B

I don't have any particular AOTW, but I thought I would drop in and report on a general sense of satisfaction and progress!

I started working with my current teacher in October. My previous teacher, who I'd loved working with, had given up teaching to concentrate on performance, and apart from a brief and unsuccessful term working with a jazz piano teacher I had been without a teacher for a little over a year.
The main negative observation I had about my time with my previous teacher was that I worked mainly on pieces at the limit of my ability, so it took me ages to learn them and they rarely got to a really satisfactory level - I did love working on them, and sometimes I could get a decent recording for an ABF recital, but they typically didn't reach a point where I could play them for someone else and reasonably expect to get through without major errors. Related to this was the fact that I knew I had raced through the levels too quickly when I was younger and I was building on shaky foundations.

With this teacher I asked to go back to basics and work to put things on a stronger footing, and he has been very much on the same page. At times I get a bit frustrated that the "easier" pieces I am working on are still full of challenges and take me longer than I think they "should" to get in good shape. But mostly I can look at the bigger picture and recognise that that is precisely why we are working on them, and that despite the occasional impatience I am learning more music more quickly because the pieces are not as difficult.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2838374
04/12/19 09:13 AM
04/12/19 09:13 AM
USA
E
enw10 Online content
enw10  Online Content
E

USA
This sounds ridiculous compared to some of these other achievements, but I was actually able to play along with a metronome this week. I'd tried many times in the past, but gave up quickly. I used it to increase the tempo of my piece to where I wanted it to be.

Next, I'd like to actually polish the piece I'm working on. I've never been 100% happy with anything I've played, but I'm about 80% now on one that I really want to really finish and maintain long term.

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: barbaram] #2838380
04/12/19 09:46 AM
04/12/19 09:46 AM
B.C.Canada
P
Palmpirate Offline
500 Post Club Member
Palmpirate  Offline
500 Post Club Member
P

B.C.Canada
Originally Posted by barbaram
I don't have any particular AOTW, but I thought I would drop in and report on a general sense of satisfaction and progress!

..... I worked mainly on pieces at the limit of my ability, so it took me ages to learn them and they rarely got to a really satisfactory level - I did love working on them, ...... Related to this was the fact that I knew I had raced through the levels too quickly when I was younger and I was building on shaky foundations.

With this teacher I asked to go back to basics and work to put things on a stronger footing,......the "easier" pieces I am working on are still full of challenges and take me longer than I think they "should" to get in good shape. But mostly I can look at the bigger picture.......

😜 I know Exactly what you mean !!!!! I definitely raced through things as a kid, mostly I think because I didn’t have competent teachers. Pity but there you go, such was my lot. But now it is a thrill to be really mastering different things. It just frustrates the heck out of me that I take so much longer now to learn new things this end of the age scale😂. I may not gain the repertoire of those bright young things of today but my appreciation of their talent has grown enormously and my admiration of the masters beyond measure. Listening is a greater joy than ever.
As for gaining those skills myself, my current absolutely marvelous teacher, has me ‘challenged’ with really tough stuff that will take me months, but we counter that with shorter focussed efforts. Not necessarily easier by any means but achievable in a shorter time frame. It also helps to work on several pieces at different levels along the journey to competence, so practising is different with each one, and not so tensely focussed as with a new piece or section which I find exhausting. My endurance is not what it was. After an hour my back and shoulders ache and I have to take a break, and if I work intensely much longer then a headache sets it. 24 hrs in a day and semi-retirement means I can pace myself - Getting old is not for the feint of heart!
But, the best thing is when I do go and play an ‘old’piece that I didn’t learn right, even something like Fur Elise, I know how to fix them and it feels really good to get through them right - at last! 😸

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2838401
04/12/19 10:38 AM
04/12/19 10:38 AM
Virginia
P
PianoCats Offline
PianoCats  Offline
P

Virginia

My AOTW, during Monday’s lesson, my teacher complimented me on both my sight reading and technique, in the same lesson!

Now, after reading some of the posts here, I’m not sure she meant sight reading in the technical sense of the word, but she meant it as a compliment, so I’ll take it as such!

For background, I’m an adult beginner/beginner restarter working in Heumann’s The Classical Piano method, Book 1 (method, repertoire, finger fitness and duet). I’m also supplementing with Denes Agay’s Joy of First Year Piano and An Intro to Classics to Moderns. I would classify myself, if I had to 😉, as early beginner. I started with my current teacher only a few months ago. We began with half hour lessons, but after the first lesson agreed an hour worked better. My teacher told me she enjoys teaching adults and at the first lesson said she could tell I was “hungry” for piano. This may have been influenced by the fact that I’m a bibliophile ( music books included), worked for a couple of years in a music store and brought part of my library to the lesson.

Like many here, I always wanted to play piano as a child, but never had the opportunity, even though I grew up in a musical family. My parents are both musicians and have been playing for 70-75 years. My father, almost 85, still plays tuba in our city’s municipal band and both my parents play in a senior band, my mother on clarinet. I played clarinet from 6th grade through high school, but gave it up in college. I’m attempting a return to clarinet too, but that is another story 😉

This is my second attempt at piano study. About 10 years ago I had approximately six months of piano lessons using Alfred’s All in One Adult method and Faber’s Adult method book. My first piano instructor was wonderful, but unfortunately died from cancer. I’m not sure why I didn’t immediately find another teacher after she died, but she had become a friend, as well as instructor and her death hit me hard. Life, other interests and hobbies also got in the way.

I’m happy to have finally found another teacher to help guide, inspire, teach and encourage me in music making! Currently, music, especially piano, is important to me not only for the gains one gets from playing and enjoying music, but also as a stress reliever and a way of giving myself time. Thank you PW for your role in the excitement!

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2838406
04/12/19 11:03 AM
04/12/19 11:03 AM
Florida
cmb13 Online content

Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member

Florida
These are great posts! Keep them coming! I can relate to all!

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune
Bach Inventions
Grieg Sonata - Andante molto

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2838480
04/12/19 03:51 PM
04/12/19 03:51 PM
P
Pianoperformance Offline
500 Post Club Member
Pianoperformance  Offline
500 Post Club Member
P

Well done everyone.
A few weeks ago, I wrote about my journey on Bach. Started off as hate, to love hate and now humble respect. Invention 9 is my 5th piece, I can’t speak highly of my attempts in the previous 4..it was like- [censored], just get through it. I wasn’t enjoying it. Something happened. Less stress in my life. Deep healing. This all showed up in my practice. Today’s lesson with recital of invention 9..it was the best I have ever played it: continuous, solid tempo, fingering was near spot on. I started this piece in late January. I felt a deep sense of all the hard work of slow practice, re-looping changing bars, perseverance, being honest with myself about what I needed to focus on.
It was great to hear the positive feedback from my teacher, who knows my struggles and with Bach. I was asked to spend one more week on it. With pleasure, as I know I will just enjoy ‘playing’ it as oppose to ‘learning it’. It made me think that how often do we allow ourselves to spend a few more days so that we can enjoy it?

Dream came true : playing the piano
Kawai CS11/Yamaha Arius 161
lessons: 150 hours + counting
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Pianoperformance] #2838544
04/12/19 08:10 PM
04/12/19 08:10 PM
Midwest USA
Stubbie Offline
Gold Subscriber
Stubbie  Offline
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member

Midwest USA
Originally Posted by Pianoperformance
Well done everyone.
A few weeks ago, I wrote about my journey on Bach. Started off as hate, to love hate and now humble respect. Invention 9 is my 5th piece, I can’t speak highly of my attempts in the previous 4..it was like- [censored], just get through it. I wasn’t enjoying it. Something happened. Less stress in my life. Deep healing. This all showed up in my practice. Today’s lesson with recital of invention 9..it was the best I have ever played it: continuous, solid tempo, fingering was near spot on. I started this piece in late January. I felt a deep sense of all the hard work of slow practice, re-looping changing bars, perseverance, being honest with myself about what I needed to focus on.
It was great to hear the positive feedback from my teacher, who knows my struggles and with Bach. I was asked to spend one more week on it. With pleasure, as I know I will just enjoy ‘playing’ it as oppose to ‘learning it’. It made me think that how often do we allow ourselves to spend a few more days so that we can enjoy it?
Excellent! What a great feeling when it all comes together, and at a lesson, no less!

Your comment about the teacher asking for one more week on it made me think of my lesson this week. My teacher suggested we move on from my Debussy piece (Reverie) and I was the one who asked to stay with it for another week. I enjoy it so much I hate to leave it. (I know, I can keep it in my repertoire.) We did end up choosing another Debussy (Jimbo's Lullaby), which I've started to work through.

[Linked Image]
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2838869
04/13/19 07:38 PM
04/13/19 07:38 PM
P
Pianoperformance Offline
500 Post Club Member
Pianoperformance  Offline
500 Post Club Member
P

Thank you Stubbie for your encouragement. Just enjoying playing it with increased tempo with beloved metronome 😬. Well done on Reverie! I am looking forward to tackling that one in a few years. Teacher is kinda keen for me to continue exploring Bach inventions as one of two practice pieces.

Dream came true : playing the piano
Kawai CS11/Yamaha Arius 161
lessons: 150 hours + counting
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2839372
04/15/19 06:45 AM
04/15/19 06:45 AM
Scotland
C
chateauferret Offline
chateauferret  Offline
C

Scotland
Finally after weeks of trying to remember all the different subtle variations and harmonic changes in these four pages of music I can finally recall it all in one go. Still not there yet but there was a thread lately about what makes a piece of music difficult to remember? This is a good example.

Field. Nocturne no 3 in A flat.

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: chateauferret] #2839376
04/15/19 06:52 AM
04/15/19 06:52 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by chateauferret
Finally after weeks of trying to remember all the different subtle variations and harmonic changes in these four pages of music I can finally recall it all in one go. Still not there yet but there was a thread lately about what makes a piece of music difficult to remember? This is a good example.

Congrats on the progress!

Totally off topic, but just wanted to say I love your forum handle since I think ferrets are one of the coolest pets I ever had smile Do come over to cmb13's thread on user names and tell us how you picked your forum handle.

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: chateauferret] #2839454
04/15/19 09:56 AM
04/15/19 09:56 AM
Florida
cmb13 Online content

Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member

Florida
Originally Posted by chateauferret

Nice pieces, those field nocturnes.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune
Bach Inventions

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2839981
04/16/19 05:43 PM
04/16/19 05:43 PM
Florida
cmb13 Online content

Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member

Florida
I have been having trouble keeping up with my repertoire, which has caused me a little dismay. I began relearning a few pieces, found it only took a day or two each, and a friend came over today. He had learned to play as a child, got to a pretty high level (remembered how to play Clare De Lune which I still haven't attempted). I played three pieces for him, October, C#min Nocturne, La Fille, and the Adagio 974, and played them all well (few mistakes but nothing too significant).

So I'm going to have to just keep them alive, maybe hit each every week or two, as I continue to learn new material and make advances. Very pleased today smile. I guess it's okay to have a good day now and then!

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune
Bach Inventions

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2841400
04/22/19 10:00 AM
04/22/19 10:00 AM
Italy
casinitaly Offline OP

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
casinitaly  Offline OP

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

7000 Post Club Member

Italy
It's great to read about the breakthroughs, new levels,new pieces and new insights.

I'm really enjoying work on the 1st Invention, and just started Schumann's "Of Strange Lands and People".

After feeling musically "flat" at the beginning of this year, I now feel re-energized and excited about my piano again.
I hear you on the comments about keeping up a repertoire. I've been really focused on keeping my "biggies" - Traumerei, Waltz in Cm posth, the Town I Loved So Well, and the Nocturne. I even see that sections that were really hard a few months ago are flowing better, and a global improvement in confidence. I'm pretty happy about it all.

[Linked Image]

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2841407
04/22/19 10:42 AM
04/22/19 10:42 AM
Sheffield, UK
K
KevinM Offline
500 Post Club Member
KevinM  Offline
500 Post Club Member
K

Sheffield, UK
Back a few days after being on holiday for a couple of weeks.

My achievement is kind of an odd one. When I learnt piano as a child I ended up remembering each piece so I could play without the sheet music. I've not had this yet as an adult returning learner, but I'm getting close with "Of foreign lands and People". I could play this piece quite quickly from the sheet music but getting it properly polished is proving more difficult and time consuming than I expected.

The consequence is that I've almost memorized the whole thing. This is the first time I've come even close to doing that.

I'm hoping that once that is completely the case I can focus better on the dynamics and adding my own touch to it since less attention is needed to follow the score. My Henle version doesn't have much in the way of dynamics for the piece so it provides a little scope for me to add a little of my own.

I've also played, just the once a version of Mendelssohn SWW Op 19.2 that I was really happy with. No recording I'm afraid. But now I've done it once I can do it again. Then hopefully I can do that repeatedly. I still fear that is some way aways. But this is proof of progress.

I'm trying to be far more mindful during my practise and playing. Concentrating on what I've played and what it sounded like, what I'd like to hear from the next few notes I'm about to play.

In the first six weeks from when I first started the return to the piano and before I had a teacher I practised scales regularly but I haven't done so since then. My teacher has me back on scales again and that is part of my mindful playing.

Last edited by KevinM; 04/22/19 10:43 AM.

Mendelssohn Song without Words Op19,2 and 19,6, Jensen Sehnsucht Op8,5. Chopin Nocturne C# Minor. Schumann Hasche Mann from Kinderszenen Op15,3. https://soundcloud.com/sheffieldkevin
DP: Kawai MP11SE. HP: Superlux HD681 EVO
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2841796
04/23/19 09:50 PM
04/23/19 09:50 PM
J
Jusca Offline
Jusca  Offline
J

I officially started learning piano last week. I found a chord method book I liked that encouraged writing music as you go along in the method. My biggest accomplishment is starting and having fun with the book's exercises. The next was having fun figuring out songs by ear. It is so much easier on piano than guitar (my main instrument).

I am not entirely new to piano. I am familiar with the key names and could play a few block chords in my left hand. However my right hand never felt comfortable with arpeggios and chords. This past week has made the right hand a bit more flexible and independent. My hands used to mirror each other doing whatever the other was doing. I thought I had no hope on piano but this past week of practice has shown me I can do it. My right hand is coming along and getting comfortable with playing. smile

Last edited by Jusca; 04/23/19 09:52 PM.
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2841814
04/24/19 12:28 AM
04/24/19 12:28 AM
Sweden
Animisha Offline
500 Post Club Member
Animisha  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Sweden
Good luck with the piano Jusca!

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2842070
04/24/19 07:59 PM
04/24/19 07:59 PM
*sigh* Salt Lake City
malkin Offline
5000 Post Club Member
malkin  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

*sigh* Salt Lake City
Yesterday at work I had the pleasure of testing a delightful 1st grader which means we were 1:1 in a mostly unused room. There is no suspicion of a deficit in language, but sometimes we just do what we are told to do. Because his skills are great, testing took kind of a longish time so we took a few breaks and jumped around on the alphabet rug and wrote on the white board and stuff like that.

When we were finally done, it was pretty clear that he still didn't want to go back to class I told him his 2 choices were to either go back to class or to listen to me play piano. He picked piano and listened with intensely to my Furtenmachen, which was even scarier than usual because of the condition of the piano.

I think I'll offer my teacher's card to his parents!

Learner
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: malkin] #2842104
04/24/19 09:59 PM
04/24/19 09:59 PM
Midwest USA
Stubbie Offline
Gold Subscriber
Stubbie  Offline
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member

Midwest USA
Originally Posted by malkin
Yesterday at work I had the pleasure of testing a delightful 1st grader which means we were 1:1 in a mostly unused room. There is no suspicion of a deficit in language, but sometimes we just do what we are told to do. Because his skills are great, testing took kind of a longish time so we took a few breaks and jumped around on the alphabet rug and wrote on the white board and stuff like that.

When we were finally done, it was pretty clear that he still didn't want to go back to class I told him his 2 choices were to either go back to class or to listen to me play piano. He picked piano and listened with intensely to my Furtenmachen, which was even scarier than usual because of the condition of the piano.

That would be so cool if he got into piano. You just never know when something is going to click with a kid or an adult, for that matter.

[Linked Image]
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: malkin] #2842217
04/25/19 06:30 AM
04/25/19 06:30 AM
In the Ozarks of Missouri
NobleHouse Offline
3000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

In the Ozarks of Missouri
Originally Posted by malkin

That is a pretty neat achievement! Definitely offer your card.

[Linked Image]
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Animisha] #2842394
04/25/19 03:36 PM
04/25/19 03:36 PM
J
Jusca Offline
Jusca  Offline
J

Originally Posted by Animisha
Good luck with the piano Jusca!

Thank you!!

Page 495 of 506 1 2 493 494 495 496 497 505 506

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Wurlitzer 1202 Parts Help
by Jeepguy25. 11/15/19 03:21 PM
Wurlitzer 1202 Parts Help
by Jeepguy25. 11/15/19 02:52 PM
1234 drill to speed up scales?
by Sam S. 11/15/19 02:47 PM
Tuning Tip thread
by Michael Laffan RPT. 11/15/19 02:20 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,121
Posts2,891,324
Members94,979
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission