2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (Barly, 1957, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 13 invisible), 1,906 guests, and 350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 31 of 45 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 44 45
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

The action is not light.

Find 660 of Harry's solo piano arrangements for educational purposes and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
The fact it’s so slim and so light, yet has weighted keys and speakers and costs just €600 is indeed tempting for a gigging machine to me. But the sound quality is awful to my ears. I’m currently considering a Dexibell P3 (can have it for €700) or S3 (€800), also very lightweight and the sounds are light years ahead. But maybe the Casio keyboard is better despite the short pivot.

Last edited by CyberGene; 04/20/19 05:01 PM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
I just bought the whole pack (case,pedal,stand) for pxs1000.
I think the stand is the same size.

I'll inform you by Monday
😁

D
D
Originally Posted by Applesgr
I just bought the whole pack (case,pedal,stand) for pxs1000.
I think the stand is the same size.

I'll inform you by Monday
😁

It is, in fact, the same stand for both. Thank you in advance for your help.

Jim

H
H
My new PX-S3000 just arrived. I downloaded Chordana Play for Piano onto my Android phone and connected via USB cable. When I select "Piano Remote Controller" on the app, I get this error message: "Connection error. This function requires a connection to a compatible digital piano" The app does display the PX-S3000 manual, so it is apparently up to date. Yes, the USB cable is good, and fully seated on both ends.

Any ideas on how to correct this?

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Is your android phone recent? I would bet its the phone. I don't have an android phone so I can't tell you how to troubleshoot the connection to the piano.

A long long time ago, I can still remember
How that music used to make me smile....
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
iPhone 6 working for o me and Chordana . I loaded my favorite classical pieces into the user memory of my S3000

Find 660 of Harry's solo piano arrangements for educational purposes and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."
C
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
C
Theoretically at least you could have used the wrong USB socket on the Casio as there are two.

Your Android phone would need to use a "USB On-The-Go" adapter or cable and it would plug to the "USB TO HOST" socket on the Casio.

(Off the top of my head and without owning a PX-S series device...)

A
A
For app remote control and midi purposes:

The port on the piano end is USB "type B" which is square shape (most printers use this). To connect your phone, you would need a USB type B to micro cable (or whatever your phone uses). This kind of cable is rare, so you can also use some kind of adapter to make it work (e.g. type B to type A cable plus a type A to Micro USB adapter).

O
O
I found this YouTube vid interesting (except for the stupid childish noises they made when swapping keyboards around)

Andertons music store in UK, blindfolded someone and got him to try, then rate 5 pianos.

He rated Kronos last, then the Montage, then RD 2000, then the Casio CDP-S100 (costs just £329), and finally as the best, The Nord Piano 4.

I had a Kronos 88, and while I loved the sounds, I didn’t like the key bed and couldn’t understand how so many people praised it. It didn’t feel like the sort of quality of keyboard I felt should be on an instrument costing that much. I sold it due to this.

Of course this wasn’t under scientific conditions, but it does imply that brand name can play a big part in the players opinion of the Keyboard, rather than what it actually feels like.

Or to put it another way, if he knew what he was playing, I wonder if the Casio would have still come above thand Kronos, montage and rd 2000?

Vid here

[Linked Image]
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Fun video but I would not take the results too seriously. Even the order in which keyboards are played may affect results.

That said, I agree Nord sounded fuller but I wonder how realistic it is piano-wise. It sounded like the decay was slow and that could contribute (at least in part) to the perception of better piano sound.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
H
H
Thanks, ap215. I did not notice that the USB Type A connector on the keyboard was only for Flash Drives. Seems like a strange design choice to use the square USB connector, but I will get the correct cable and try again. That must be my problem (Chordana does not recognize the keyboard). Thanks!

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by EVC2017
FI agree Nord sounded fuller but I wonder how realistic it is piano-wise. It sounded like the decay was slow and that could contribute (at least in part) to the perception of better piano sound.

I think this is probably a case of "perception is reality." If something seems more like a real piano--for whatever reason--then it is accomplishing its goal. And in fact, a too-quick decay is often what makes a DP seem less realistic than the real thing.

Also worth noting (since this is the PX-S1000/3000 thread) that the Casio in that video was not one of those, but the lower end CDP-S100 which does not have as sophisticated a piano sound as the PXs.

D
D

Yesterday, I just received the PX-3000. A really well built keyboard.
The keybed feels great. The key movement is clean with no wobble and symetrical key spacing. It feels really good. The slightly shorter key pivot point (1/8") is really not that bad. Of course, try it yourselves. As far as two sensor vs three sensor discussion, it acts like it's a three sensor. We know it's not, but whatever they're doing the keys quickly trigger without returning the key all the way up. It works as well as my SL88 three sensor controller. Actually, I like the keybed better on the PX-S3000. The SL SL88 Studio keybed is on the noisy side, the PX-S3000 is one of the quietest keybeds I've played.

The Piano samples...
The default power on acoustic piano sample (P001 GrPnoConcert) overall sounds good. It's well balanced from low register on up. My only complaint with this sample is that starting around middle C and up this octave, there's a bit a of a midrange plunkiness to the sound. It's not horrible, but audible. I love the lower and upper octave registers of this piano sound. It's quite real. Also, bear in mind, this is with no adjustments to the sound. I'm not saying adjusting settings can help this C4 (assuming C4 is middle C) to C5 octave (or so). It's certainly worth trying.

The good news...
The Stage Piano preset!
There's a lot of clarity in this sample across the keyboard. It really sits well in a mix. Also, I do not hear the plunkiness (for lack of a better description) in the C4 (middle)-C5 range. I would gig with this keyboard. This piano preset is my #1 reason for keeping this slab. I plan on making a couple presets with the Stage Piano preset. I'll try to make one with a bit more warmth using the settings. The Stage Piano preset kind of reminds me of some of Yamaha's better AP samples (on more expensive keyboards). I may even like it more...

The EP tones....
I wasn't a huge fan of the EP tones. Since I just got this damn thing and don't really have a clue on editing tones (at this point), I didn't have a chance to work on any adjustments. I'm not sure why Casio chose to torture all their EP sounds and didn't offer a clean rhodes program.
It may be possible, I just have not tried...as of yet.

The same goes for organ tones. From what users just mentioned, it appears possible to clean up the organs and get what we're looking for. I'll hopefully will also get around to creating some decent organ patches.

This thing is built VERY WELL. It's also quite a good looking keyboard. The drum rhythm sounds (and accompaniment) are cheesy... In this day and age, why can't they include real drum and backing tracks. If memory is the reason (which is a poor excuse), just offer them as a download for storing to USB thumbdrive and have the software point to this location.

For reference, I also currently own:
Yamaha ES-8
Yamaha P515
Yamaha MOXF6
StudioLogic SL88 Studio
Spectrasonics Keyscape
NI Noire
NI THE GRANDEUR
Many more VSTs, but the above are some of the better.

I
I
DaveLang -

Excellent review, glad you posted.

One request: Can you chime-in how you feel about the keybed and general piano sound in a head-to-head comparison with the Yamaha P515? (I'm considering both and the Yamaha is nowhere to be found to try out.)

Thanks!

There are plenty of opportunities to hear both boards in the numerous well-recorded demos out there. I also could not find a 515 anywhere to try. I did finally locate a PX-1000 to try the other day. I felt that the black notes suffered by the short pivot point if you played them to close to the ‘fallboard’. That may bother me more than you, depending on how you play. It sounded surprisingly good through the internal speakers.

So anyway, I ordered the Yamaha 515 (Home Bundle Plus) today, breaking my rule of not buying something that I haven’t played. I have played the same action on another instrument, I’m not expecting any surprises. Can’t wait, might have it by Saturday.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I like that description of the Casio factory Rhodes and Organs, "tortured."

Here's my thread on how to get a clean tone vintage Rhodes sound and a Jimmy Smith jazz organ out of the S3000. (It's not possible to edit the S1000)

Getting a clean tone Rhodes and 88800000 jazz organ on the S3000

update:
I'll simply paste into the next post:

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
There is no default clean tone vintage Fender Rhodes TONE in the PX-S3000.

However, you can get a nice clean tone Rhodes by stripping away the heavy Phase Shifter and Tremolo DSP applied to EP 1 by using the following edit settings:

Select "004:Elec.Piano 1" from the [TONE]E.PIANOS section.

To defeat the Phaser and Tremolo:
Change the [CTRL]DSP to 006:Stereo3BndEQ
Increase its EQ3 Gain to +6 to get a pronounced tine.

Change the [CTRL]KNOB to 03:Up 1 Cho/Rev

Change the Reverb Sound Effect to Room 2

Adjust to taste the Chorus Level with Knob 1.
Adjust to taste the Reverb Level with Knob 2.

Save as a Registration.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I have a similar recipe to fix the Jimmy Smith 88800000 ORGAN TONE.
The factory set it with FAST Rotary and too much of it. Most Jazz players use Slow or Stopped Rotary.

The important fix for the [TONE] ORGAN 001: JS Organ is to change the default DSP to:

[CTRL]DSP 017: Drive Rotary
Adjust its Gain to taste (I chose +55)
DSP 017's Slow Rotary setting is mild enough that it's not bothersome, imo.

Leave the Knobs as is ([CTRL]KNOBS 001:Filter) you may adjust Frequency Cut Off and Resonance to taste, which act like an EQ.

SPLIT with Organ Bass: [TONE] OTHERS 106:Organ Bass

Save as a Registration

------------------------------

[TONE] ORGAN 012.Elec.Organ 5 is a good Latin tone organ as is. It sounds similar to Walter Wanderley's "Os Grilos" organ sound.

J
jjo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
rintincop: Thanks for posting those edits. I've pretty much decided to purchase the 3000 and piano, jazz organ and Rhodes are the three sounds I'll want. Hopefully I can figure out out to do the editing and registration!

Page 31 of 45 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 44 45

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission