Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
77 registered members (cmb13, Amy C, Animisha, beeboss, custard apple, cliowa, 25 invisible), 804 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Couldn’t decide on a DP so I ordered a VPC1 :) #2841968
04/24/19 02:26 PM
04/24/19 02:26 PM
Danmark
M
Morten Olsson Online content OP
Morten Olsson  Online Content OP
M

Danmark
Have been considering various DPs and have had a hard time deciding - in the end I decided on a purely VST driven setup and ordered a VPC1 that should be with me in a months time.
Will be interesting to try a VST based setup after having tried both a regular DP and an acoustic.
I will probably go through a few different speaker configurations to see what works for me. First iteration is a rather nice pair of Dali Ikon mk2 speakers paired with a decent Nad amp.

Shall report back with pics and impressions when everything is set up.

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Couldn’t decide on a DP so I ordered a VPC1 :) [Re: Morten Olsson] #2841973
04/24/19 03:00 PM
04/24/19 03:00 PM
J
Jethro Offline
500 Post Club Member
Jethro  Offline
500 Post Club Member
J

Originally Posted by Morten Olsson
Have been considering various DPs and have had a hard time deciding - in the end I decided on a purely VST driven setup and ordered a VPC1 that should be with me in a months time.
Will be interesting to try a VST based setup after having tried both a regular DP and an acoustic.
I will probably go through a few different speaker configurations to see what works for me. First iteration is a rather nice pair of Dali Ikon mk2 speakers paired with a decent Nad amp.

Good for you. I am completely enjoying mine now for the past few days. Practicing about 2-3 hours daily on it. The headphone option is such a blessing. Both Pianoteq and Ravenscroft are superb on the VPC-1. I have been using the standard USB midi cable that came shipped with it and it is fine. No latency issues as far as I can tell and no crackling or popping with meaty classic music. I think a SSD (drive) may make a difference so if you can have that installed in your laptop/desktop that might be a good thing. I have a 2011 mac mini i3 2.5 ghz and both these VSTs work fine with it.

Re: Couldn’t decide on a DP so I ordered a VPC1 :) [Re: Morten Olsson] #2841974
04/24/19 03:04 PM
04/24/19 03:04 PM
Danmark
M
M

Danmark
I have a spare MacBook Pro with an I7, 16 gigs of ram and 500 GB SSD already permanently hooked up to the amp via the DAC so I’m ready smile
Already bought and installed Ravenscroft and will probably get Pianoteq as well so I can see how I like modeled piano.
Good times - I do enjoy picking out and setting up stuff smile

Re: Couldn’t decide on a DP so I ordered a VPC1 :) [Re: Morten Olsson] #2843630
04/30/19 02:18 AM
04/30/19 02:18 AM
Iowa, USA
A
AlphaTerminus Offline
500 Post Club Member
AlphaTerminus  Offline
500 Post Club Member
A

Iowa, USA
Great choice and it will ever be obsolete. I’ve had a VPC1 for years. It is a tank and the action is better than nearly all digitals and many acoustics.

Acoustic: I used to have a Yamaha C6 but I've gone fully Pianoteq so I can play ALL THE PIANOS!
Digital: Yamaha N3X with Pianoteq, Kawai VPC1 with Pianoteq
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Couldn’t decide on a DP so I ordered a VPC1 :) [Re: Morten Olsson] #2843666
04/30/19 06:04 AM
04/30/19 06:04 AM
Danmark
M
M

Danmark
Yes I quite like the idea of an evergreen keyboard with no tone generator that will be obsoleted smile I do like to tinker with stuff so I look forward to many a good hour spent auditioning various speakers etc.

Re: Couldn’t decide on a DP so I ordered a VPC1 :) [Re: Morten Olsson] #2843716
04/30/19 09:41 AM
04/30/19 09:41 AM
B
butchkoch Offline
butchkoch  Offline
B

I got a VPC1 2 years ago, I have and have had many keyboards, both synth and piano, I really like the feel and I thoroughly enjoy practicing on it with the various VST's. I have never been able to afford a good acoustic, upright or grand, but have played on some. The VPC delivered to me a reliable, good feeling and quiet keyboard thats very responsive and invites playing. I would buy another in a heartbeat.

Re: Couldn’t decide on a DP so I ordered a VPC1 :) [Re: Morten Olsson] #2843731
04/30/19 10:48 AM
04/30/19 10:48 AM
America
J
Jitin Offline
500 Post Club Member
Jitin  Offline
500 Post Club Member
J

America

Hey I noticed from your posts that you order vpc1, what made you change your mind from this older post about vsts?

1. Did you some how change something in the setup to feel more connected to vsts, or did you realize you value more options of sounds?
2. Also, how do you like the k300, how is the action compared to vpc1 (better/worse)?

I had the exact same experience when I tried Pianoteq with my F-140. I really really liked the sound - especially with headphone - but the onboard sounds just “feel” much better.
Not sure if it’s the minuscule latency, the changed velocity curve or simply that I’ve grown used to how the F-140 plays with onboard sounds.
Not that it matters terribly much at this point as I’ve ordered a K300 and will be selling the Roland.

Yamaha P155, Yamaha P515
Re: Couldn’t decide on a DP so I ordered a VPC1 :) [Re: Morten Olsson] #2843757
04/30/19 11:58 AM
04/30/19 11:58 AM
Pennsylvania
D
dmd Offline
4000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
D

Pennsylvania
... I do like to tinker with stuff so I look forward to many a good hour spent auditioning various speakers etc.

Well, in that case …. the VPC1 is perfect for you.

You will be kept busy swapping out speakers, headphones, audio interfaces, software generators, etc ….

And …. don't forget the litany of software parameters and velocity curves you can tinker with in an effort to get a "better" sound.

Enjoy

Last edited by dmd; 04/30/19 12:00 PM.

Don

Kawai MP11SE, Edifier R1850DB Active Bookshelf Speakers, Yamaha HS8S Powered Subwoofer, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq and numerous other VSTs
Re: Couldn’t decide on a DP so I ordered a VPC1 :) [Re: Morten Olsson] #2843766
04/30/19 12:13 PM
04/30/19 12:13 PM
Danmark
M
M

Danmark
Hi Jitin,

I love my K300 - and if money was no object I would have bought it and kept it. Sadly I am not in a position to buy an expensive acoustic so I rented it to at least try having a "real" instrument.
The VPC1 is an experiment - it seems to me that a controller made for the purpose with velocity curves that are tailor made for Pianoteq etc will probably work out better than the F140 which did not play nicely with VSTs in my experience.

I will be sure to update the thread when I get the VPC1.

Oh - and I really, REALLY like the action on the K300 - it is a wonderful instrument and I'm sure I will miss it. But hey - a few years down the road when the house is paid off I will hopefully be in a position to purchase a nice acoustic.

Last edited by Morten Olsson; 04/30/19 12:14 PM.
Re: Couldn’t decide on a DP so I ordered a VPC1 :) [Re: Morten Olsson] #2843769
04/30/19 12:25 PM
04/30/19 12:25 PM
Celestis
Granyala Offline
500 Post Club Member
Granyala  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Celestis
Welcome, to the dark side. ^_^

*hands over cookie and Imperial membership badge*

The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.
VPC 1 -> Pianoteq 6 Std / Pearl Alto Flute 201
Re: Couldn’t decide on a DP so I ordered a VPC1 :) [Re: dmd] #2843816
04/30/19 03:01 PM
04/30/19 03:01 PM
J
Jethro Offline
500 Post Club Member
Jethro  Offline
500 Post Club Member
J

Originally Posted by dmd
... I do like to tinker with stuff so I look forward to many a good hour spent auditioning various speakers etc.

Well, in that case …. the VPC1 is perfect for you.

You will be kept busy swapping out speakers, headphones, audio interfaces, software generators, etc ….

And …. don't forget the litany of software parameters and velocity curves you can tinker with in an effort to get a "better" sound.

Enjoy

This is not true. Personally, power on my mac mini which takes about 10 seconds with the SSD drives. Run the Pianoteq program which remembers the previous settings and just put my headphones on. It's as simple as pie. I've owned my VPC-1 over 1 week and has around 20 hours of hard practice on it already. It's been a godsend when I don't have access to my acoustic grand. I've tried some of the most difficult piano repertoire out there and the piano is not a limiting factor. (only my continuing developing technique smile ). I will find time to make a video one of these days and let you judge if the VPC1 can't hold muster.

It's a very good action and absolutely can fill in for an acoustic grand when you don't have access to one or for silent practice. I don't see it throwing off my technique to any serious degree but there will always be a short period of adjustment when going back and forth between the two. All that talk about the too heavy an action is bull crap. It may be relatively heavier than another slab with a grand feel action but that does not make it unplayable or in any way inferior to any other action. In fact it may actually be closer to the action of a real acoustic the way it is weighted. You must and will adapt to any action whether it be light or heavier.

This is the first digital piano/controller that I've owned in over 25 years that I find acceptable as an acoustic stand-in. The pedals are fine too as well, though the only downside is the base seems to move out place from time to time. Need to double tape it down methinks. That said, I still believe if you want to learn the piano well you eventually have to play on an acoustic to get a good feel for the piano overall.

Last edited by Jethro; 04/30/19 03:04 PM.
Re: Couldn’t decide on a DP so I ordered a VPC1 :) [Re: Morten Olsson] #2843824
04/30/19 03:16 PM
04/30/19 03:16 PM
J
Jethro Offline
500 Post Club Member
Jethro  Offline
500 Post Club Member
J

Also unlike most I don't play around with piano sounds and waste valuable practice time. If you are serious about learning the piano stop playing with VSTS, knobs, controllers, buttons and other such nonsense. Choose one good piano sound and practice slowly and deliberately for a couple hours a day. This is one of the reasons why the VPC1 is such a nice instrument, there's very little to distract you so long as you stay away from the computer monitor which I have to since my mac mini is hooked up to my 55 inch flatscreen about 5 feet away smile

EDIT: also try to stay away from the addicting power of pianoworld to take away valuable practice time as well. I should know.

Last edited by Jethro; 04/30/19 03:18 PM.
Re: Couldn’t decide on a DP so I ordered a VPC1 :) [Re: Morten Olsson] #2843835
04/30/19 03:43 PM
04/30/19 03:43 PM
Northern England.
peterws Offline
7000 Post Club Member
peterws  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Northern England.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Re: Couldn’t decide on a DP so I ordered a VPC1 :) [Re: Morten Olsson] #2843840
04/30/19 03:59 PM
04/30/19 03:59 PM
Danmark
M
M

Danmark
The Mac driving this will not be within my field of view when playing - so the actual playing should be quite relaxed and free of distractions.
The many hours I’m sure I’ll spend experimenting with speakers and such won’t mean less practice and playing - more likely they will just be less time spent sleeping or reading.
Can’t wait to try different speaker and VST combinations. Putting together the small but quite decent Hifi system that will be the initial setup has been lots of fun and has had the added bonus of me getting a nice system for listening to music.
So far it’s all good smile

Re: Couldn’t decide on a DP so I ordered a VPC1 :) [Re: Morten Olsson] #2843974
05/01/19 04:05 AM
05/01/19 04:05 AM
Celestis
Granyala Offline
500 Post Club Member
Granyala  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Celestis
I agree with Morten, tinkering does not fall into the practice window.
Since I am only able to practice for roughly half an hour before pain sets in, I have to make the most out of that time.

To be fair though: I don't think there is much need to tinker anyway. In both Garritan and Pianoteq I use the presets as given, I only added a samplicity reverb impulse file to the "Steinway D intimate" preset. Garritan runs at the default. No speaker tinkering at all because I use headphones 99.9% of the time unless I want to torture a few guests.

The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.
Re: Couldn’t decide on a DP so I ordered a VPC1 :) [Re: Granyala] #2843983
05/01/19 04:31 AM
05/01/19 04:31 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
Tyrone Slothrop  Offline

Originally Posted by Granyala
Since I am only able to practice for roughly half an hour before pain sets in, I have to make the most out of that time.

Off-topic, but have you considered trying out a change in piano technique? There are a number of methods for addressing pain specific to piano playing, including this one.

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Couldn’t decide on a DP so I ordered a VPC1 :) [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2844051
05/01/19 08:58 AM
05/01/19 08:58 AM
Celestis
Granyala Offline
500 Post Club Member
Granyala  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Celestis
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Off-topic, but have you considered trying out a change in piano technique? There are a number of methods for addressing pain specific to piano playing, including this one.

Yep, staying relaxed is paramount and I have to be vigilant not to tense up, esp when being confronted with unfamiliar material (sometimes I even forget regular breath when I am problem solving). It definitely helps.

Teacher keeps an eye on it and says posture is fine so far.
I think it is the combined workload of a job at the computer, flute playing, piano and a lot of free time at the computer that brings the body to it's limits.

Re: Couldn’t decide on a DP so I ordered a VPC1 :) [Re: Granyala] #2844082
05/01/19 09:44 AM
05/01/19 09:44 AM
Not Calabria
N
newer player Offline
1000 Post Club Member
newer player  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
N

Not Calabria
Originally Posted by Granyala

Unless you are having similar pain from other daily activities or life in general, this is a technique problem at the piano.

You don't need to relax at the piano. You need to remove all tension, to fix bench position, to fix posture, and to correct body mechanics. Never, ever play with any pain.

Small technique errors get quickly ingrained and take a very long time to undo. This is debilitating from a physical and from a musical perspective. Get this fixed ASAP.

Re: Couldn’t decide on a DP so I ordered a VPC1 :) [Re: Morten Olsson] #2844892
05/03/19 06:45 PM
05/03/19 06:45 PM
Danmark
M
M

Danmark
Trying out various speakers has turned into a very enjoyable activity smile
The ones in the photo are Dali Ikon 2 and Dali Concept 6. I prefer the Ikon 2 so far - they’re quite clear, tight and airy. Think I’ll try some smaller more directional / near fields next.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Morten Olsson; 05/03/19 06:46 PM.
Re: Couldn’t decide on a DP so I ordered a VPC1 :) [Re: Morten Olsson] #2844982
05/04/19 03:34 AM
05/04/19 03:34 AM
Celestis
Granyala Offline
500 Post Club Member
Granyala  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Celestis
Not surprising that the Ikon 2 sound better, given that they are more expensive that the big ones. Expensive standmounts will pretty much always outperform cheaper floorstanders.

That doesn't look much like a VPC1 though. shocked

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Blüthner Model A upright pitch raise
by opnordahl. 05/23/19 06:10 PM
Chopin's Op?
by mla. 05/23/19 02:51 PM
Arturia V Collection 7 released
by Beakybird. 05/23/19 02:06 PM
Yamaha C6 Wire Gauge?
by Piano World. 05/23/19 11:52 AM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics192,125
Posts2,830,941
Members93,401
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission