Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
57 registered members (agent8698, AYS, albydooby, camperbc, CosminX, CyberGene, Anglagard44, Beowulf, Animisha, 15 invisible), 949 guests, and 490 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Aren't flat fingers the secret? [Re: anamnesis] #2841785 04/23/19 07:55 PM
M
MikeN Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by anamnesis

The reason people "tire" out is that they are stuck in certain neuromuscular, movement patterns that they can't get out of and end up fighting with compensatory movements. These patterns also happen to desensitize you to even "noticing" all those subtle torso adjustments and their necessity by using a strategy of over-stabilization in a single sagittal plane at the cost of movement in frontal and transverse planes.

On boy do those movements take a lot of time and dedication to untrain. I've spent the last 2-3 years working on the near constant tendency of my left hand toward ulner deviation. Finally, I think I have it pretty much licked. It took a lot of effort though. Unfortunately, more than most pianist I've met seem to be willing to invest if they even happen to be sensitive to the issue.

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Aren't flat fingers the secret? [Re: OscoBosco] #2841787 04/23/19 08:17 PM
J
JohnSprung Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J

There are concert pianists who don't avoid hitting the fallboard. Robert Estrin showed a picture of the fallboard from his father's Steinway. It looked like it was gouged almost half an inch deep in places. The old Knabe "Waterfall" fallboard like mine leans back at the top, which helps a lot.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Re: Aren't flat fingers the secret? [Re: MikeN] #2841794 04/23/19 09:28 PM
A
anamnesis Offline
A
Originally Posted by MikeN

The reason people "tire" out is that they are stuck in certain neuromuscular, movement patterns that they can't get out of and end up fighting with compensatory movements. These patterns also happen to desensitize you to even "noticing" all those subtle torso adjustments and their necessity by using a strategy of over-stabilization in a single sagittal plane at the cost of movement in frontal and transverse planes.

On boy do those movements take a lot of time and dedication to untrain. I've spent the last 2-3 years working on the near constant tendency of my left hand toward ulner deviation. Finally, I think I have it pretty much licked. It took a lot of effort though. Unfortunately, more than most pianist I've met seem to be willing to invest if they even happen to be sensitive to the issue.

The reasons why this process can be difficult is highlighted by this quote from by Shirley Saharmann:

"Faulty training only accentuates the muscular and neurological contributions to habitual imbalance. Most often the faulty movement patterns are an exaggeration in one direction of a limitation in another direction."

The underlying implication here is that you have to get people back into a more "limited" state first before they can retrain the proper coordination. This has its own set of difficulties. But of course it's all going to be for naught if you don't find the correct coordination because you'll just end up going back to the faulty movement. I'd also like to emphasize the word "direction" in the above quote.

Translating this into more piano friendly terms, people will first need to identify (easier said than done) and give up all the mechanisms and strategies they are using for "accuracy" or even "expression" before they can even begin to replace it. Most pianists will refuse to do this because removing all traces of compensation requires returning to a state where they'll question how one can possibly even play at all with any semblance of control. One's skill at doing this entire process correlates with how well one can essentially re-write muscle memory. Again, a respect for "direction" is critical to doing this. More time spent on that word (as well as related words such as "orientation" and "timing") and less on body parts would probably do the piano community a world of good.

Last edited by anamnesis; 04/23/19 09:37 PM.
Re: Aren't flat fingers the secret? [Re: OscoBosco] #2841828 04/24/19 02:56 AM
F
florhof Offline
F
Many people have contributed very good insights to this thread, especially those who pointed out that the shape of the the hand is determined by the notes you want to play in which succession.

I would like to add: The bigger the lever, the better the control over the hammer. It is therefore advantageous to touch the key as far to the front as possible. This means, the shape of your hand depends to a large extent on the length ratio between thumb and fingers.

Re: Aren't flat fingers the secret? [Re: anamnesis] #2842003 04/24/19 04:25 PM
MichaelJK Offline

Translating this into more piano friendly terms, people will first need to identify (easier said than done) and give up all the mechanisms and strategies they are using for "accuracy" or even "expression" before they can even begin to replace it. Most pianists will refuse to do this because removing all traces of compensation requires returning to a state where they'll question how one can possibly even play at all with any semblance of control. One's skill at doing this entire process correlates with how well one can essentially re-write muscle memory. Again, a respect for "direction" is critical to doing this. More time spent on that word (as well as related words such as "orientation" and "timing") and less on body parts would probably do the piano community a world of good.

This is exactly the problem, and it's a really big problem. I would estimate that 99.9% of the advice a typical piano teacher gives is given in complete ignorance of this problem.

It's a big problem, but it's not a HARD problem. Solving it only requires being willing to, as you say, "returning to a state where they'll question how one can possibly even play at all with any semblance of control." And that is a good way of putting it. It does feel like returning to a time in my life when I just didn't care about "control."

Re: Aren't flat fingers the secret? [Re: pianoloverus] #2842005 04/24/19 04:27 PM
MichaelJK Offline
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by MichaelJK
Personally, I don't have much use for concepts about how my hands should look at the piano. There was a time I was obsessed with this. Then, I realized that the task here is to get the key to go down at the right time, not to "look" a certain way.
But the whole idea of any technical approach or idea i(including flat vs. curved)is not how the hands look but how the technical approach aids what you want to be able to do at the piano.

Well, that's why I started by saying "Try it and see if it works better." wink

Re: Aren't flat fingers the secret? [Re: OscoBosco] #2842333 04/25/19 01:02 PM
M
Midlife_Piano Offline
M
I have flat fingers - everyone from myself, my teachers, and people who watch me performing sees it. My childhood piano teachers used to give me hard time about it, especially on my pinky because it was always flat. It looks not "right" and it makes the finger weak.

It was decades later I realized I have "double joints" on my pinky so the finger can not stand up; it always curves outwardly. When I open my hand (playing octaves), it will be flat and I can't do anything about it.

Yes it has created quite a big challenge for me in voicing (using pinky such as Schubert Impromptu Op.90-3) and repeating fast octave runs. I just have to work around it and work harder. My current teacher was surprised I could make it work most of the time. It's all about practice I guess.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

ad
Rob Mullins Holiday Album
Rob Mullins Holiday Album

Rob is an amazing jazz pianist in LA,a composer, and a friend of mine.
Frank B. / Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
Christmas Ornaments Music Theme
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How to mentally prepare for a big performance?
by PracticingPianist - 12/14/19 01:24 AM
Very Hard Hammers
by Duaner - 12/13/19 06:19 PM
Chopin Etudes
by Moo :) - 12/13/19 04:53 PM
OT- A Christmas quodlibet called Yule Flip
by pianoloverus - 12/13/19 03:00 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,644
Posts2,901,451
Members95,232
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission