Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
87 registered members (akc42, Ankee, anotherscott, Animisha, Boboulus, Anglagard44, Beowulf, AndyOnThePiano, 20 invisible), 1,374 guests, and 447 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Finding The Keyboard With Least Mechanical Noise... [Re: iPractiseEveryday] #2841398 04/22/19 09:58 AM
N
nicknameTaken Offline
N
The CP88 feels way heavier in touch than the P-515

(ad) SWEETWATER Lowest Prices
Re: Finding The Keyboard With Least Mechanical Noise... [Re: peterws] #2841420 04/22/19 11:54 AM
G
Gombessa Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by peterws
Originally Posted by Gombessa
I've tried most of the Roland actions. They're not particularly quiet, even by plastic action standards. Ivory feel G, PHA-III, PHA-IV Concert, PHA-IV Standard, PHA-50.... Particularly, they develop a fairly loud key return thump as the top foam strip wears down, and they rattle audibly on glissandos.

Yamaha's GH based actions are probably the next quietest after the Kawai wooden key actions, IMO.

You're wrong. But don't worry about it . . . try the newer ones and see. I've had mine 4 years and it's still quiet. The wife won't let me change for that reason. And I won't either until something better comes along.

I've just played an LX-708, GP-609 and DP-603 yesterday. Both the PHA-50 and Hybrid Grand actions are absolutely fine, but none of the actions are particularly quiet IMO, especially when compared to the Kawai wooden key or Yamaha actions. Sorry to report that, and this isn't meant to disparage your own choice/purchase. It's just what I feel from firsthand experience.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
Re: Finding The Keyboard With Least Mechanical Noise... [Re: anotherscott] #2841564 04/23/19 12:50 AM
I
iPractiseEveryday Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted by anotherscott
Originally Posted by iPractiseEveryday
Originally Posted by Cheshire Chris
My Yamaha P-515 has a very quiet keyboard.

Does that mean the CP88 has a quiet keybed too? Heard that they share the same action

Not exactly the same... specs say
P-515: NWX action
CP88: NW-GH action (same as CP4)

So how does the NW-GH action perform? Is it on the heavy side? And how does it compare in terms of quietness with the other contenders?(mp11se, rd2000, nord piano4 etc)

Re: Finding The Keyboard With Least Mechanical Noise... [Re: Gombessa] #2841565 04/23/19 12:54 AM
peterws Offline
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by peterws
I've tried most of the Roland actions. They're not particularly quiet, even by plastic action standards. Ivory feel G, PHA-III, PHA-IV Concert, PHA-IV Standard, PHA-50.... Particularly, they develop a fairly loud key return thump as the top foam strip wears down, and they rattle audibly on glissandos.

Yamaha's GH based actions are probably the next quietest after the Kawai wooden key actions, IMO.

You're wrong. But don't worry about it . . . try the newer ones and see. I've had mine 4 years and it's still quiet. The wife won't let me change for that reason. And I won't either until something better comes along.

I've just played an LX-708, GP-609 and DP-603 yesterday. Both the PHA-50 and Hybrid Grand actions are absolutely fine, but none of the actions are particularly quiet IMO, especially when compared to the Kawai wooden key or Yamaha actions. Sorry to report that, and this isn't meant to disparage your own choice/purchase. It's just what I feel from firsthand experience.

No worries. But I did buy mine mainly because of it's lack of sound compared to that on the FP80 which was so clattery. The later PHA50s aren't bad at all, but the cheaper action is still the quieter, by some margin, my old ears tell me. And this is what the OP wanted to know.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Re: Finding The Keyboard With Least Mechanical Noise... [Re: iPractiseEveryday] #2841578 04/23/19 03:35 AM
A
Alex C Offline
A
Try playing with a pair of noise cancelling headphones. I can't live without them anymore.

Re: Finding The Keyboard With Least Mechanical Noise... [Re: Alex C] #2841580 04/23/19 03:43 AM
N
nicknameTaken Offline
N
Originally Posted by Alex C
Try playing with a pair of noise cancelling headphones. I can't live without them anymore.

You should know the way they work isn't benefitting the audio quality.
What is even better is a pair of good isolated headphones or in ears.
For over-ear, the Beyerdynamic DT 880 pro is superior to any noise-canceling headphone there is.

Re: Finding The Keyboard With Least Mechanical Noise... [Re: nicknameTaken] #2841582 04/23/19 04:25 AM
L
LarryK Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by nicknameTaken

For over-ear, the Beyerdynamic DT 880 pro is superior to any noise-canceling headphone there is.

I have never joined the noise canceling headphone party because I know it is impossible to produce the perfect canceling wave so therefore those headphones must be introducing artifacts into the ear. The technology was originally developed so that pilots in a noisy airplane could better hear voices over their headphones, not for listening to music.

I use Etymotic ER4SR in ear phones with the big yellow foam tips. Those tips give me 30dB of noise attenuation which makes a huge difference in terms of the noise floor and allows me to use a lower volume. I live in noisy New York City. These ear phones make riding the train much more pleasant. The down side is that they’re so quiet, you’ll get microphonic noise if you move a lot, I don’t wear any headphones on the street, I want to hear any potentially dangerous situations.

On the piano, I use Denon AH-D7200s. They sound great and do a pretty good job of isolating any action noise. They’re a closed back design, which helps.

Last edited by LarryK; 04/23/19 04:31 AM.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: Finding The Keyboard With Least Mechanical Noise... [Re: nicknameTaken] #2841609 04/23/19 07:19 AM
A
Alex C Offline
A

There are always better headphones but it's definitely good enough for me. And the great benefit is that they actually do cancel out keyboard and computer noises (and even the noise from heavy construction work in the street) like no other (certainly more than the DT-880 which is a semi-open design and doesn't do a good job blocking ambient noises). And they are probably more comfy to wear too. It's a welcome solution for people like me who are really allergic to keybed noises.

Re: Finding The Keyboard With Least Mechanical Noise... [Re: LarryK] #2841612 04/23/19 07:26 AM
A
Alex C Offline
A
Originally Posted by LarryK

I have never joined the noise canceling headphone party because I know it is impossible to produce the perfect canceling wave so therefore those headphones must be introducing artifacts into the ear. The technology was originally developed so that pilots in a noisy airplane could better hear voices over their headphones, not for listening to music.

They really sound surprisingly good. What artifacts are you talking about?

Re: Finding The Keyboard With Least Mechanical Noise... [Re: Alex C] #2841621 04/23/19 07:59 AM
N
nicknameTaken Offline
N

There are always better headphones but it's definitely good enough for me. And the great benefit is that they actually do cancel out keyboard and computer noises (and even the noise from heavy construction work in the street) like no other (certainly more than the DT-880 which is a semi-open design and doesn't do a good job blocking ambient noises). And they are probably more comfy to wear too. It's a welcome solution for people like me who are really allergic to keybed noises.

Hmm, I thought it was closed. But you are actually right. It's semi-open. Wheres the difference between that and closed?

Re: Finding The Keyboard With Least Mechanical Noise... [Re: nicknameTaken] #2841632 04/23/19 08:51 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member

Hmm, I thought it was closed. But you are actually right. It's semi-open. Wheres the difference between that and closed?

See this.

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Finding The Keyboard With Least Mechanical Noise... [Re: Alex C] #2841638 04/23/19 09:02 AM
L
LarryK Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L

They really sound surprisingly good. What artifacts are you talking about?

Noise canceling headphones operate by using a microphone to pick up ambient noise and then they generate a negative waveform to cancel that noise. I don’t believe this process can ever work perfectly so they must me injecting audio artifacts into the ear.

I’m not willing to take a chance on exposing my ear to whatever is being generated and have always been happy with passive attenuation and never felt the need for more.

Etymotic claims 35-42dB of noise attenuation here:

https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/earphones/er3-new.html

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: Finding The Keyboard With Least Mechanical Noise... [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2841640 04/23/19 09:09 AM
N
nicknameTaken Offline
N
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

See this.

Oh right, looking back at my model I have the DT 770 Pro at work and the DT 990 pro at home.

Re: Finding The Keyboard With Least Mechanical Noise... [Re: iPractiseEveryday] #2841643 04/23/19 09:22 AM
L
LarryK Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
One other point, just because you don’t hear the artifacts does not mean they’re not causing damage.

I knew guys who worked in top secret government labs where they blasted white noise all day so that you could not hear a conversation that was taking place six feet from you. They told me that the first day they worked there, the noise was unbearable. After a couple of days, you don’t hear the noise, the ear becomes fatigued and filters it out. But, you’re still being exposed to the noise.

Last edited by LarryK; 04/23/19 09:22 AM.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: Finding The Keyboard With Least Mechanical Noise... [Re: LarryK] #2841645 04/23/19 09:27 AM
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
One other point, just because you don’t hear the artifacts does not mean they’re not causing damage.

I knew guys who worked in top secret government labs where they blasted white noise all day so that you could not hear a conversation that was taking place six feet from you. They told me that the first day they worked there, the noise was unbearable. After a couple of days, you don’t hear the noise, the ear becomes fatigued and filters it out. But, you’re still being exposed to the noise.

Well in reality, it might have been annoying, but it couldn't have been that loud from the perspective of absolute sound pressure level. OSHA sets legal limits on noise exposure in the workplace such as allowing 8 hours of exposure to 90 dBA but only 2 hours of exposure to 100 dBA sound levels.

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Finding The Keyboard With Least Mechanical Noise... [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2841649 04/23/19 09:38 AM
L
LarryK Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L

Well in reality, it might have been annoying, but it couldn't have been that loud from the perspective of absolute sound pressure level. OSHA sets legal limits on noise exposure in the workplace such as allowing 8 hours of exposure to 90 dBA but only 2 hours of exposure to 100 dBA sound levels.

Like I trust OSHA, lol.

The long term effects of exposure to white noise are unknown, and may be harmful.

https://www.sciencealert.com/white-...-tinnitus-hearing-loss-plasticity-neural

I see no need to take the chance. Active noise cancellation did not sound good to me the one time I tried it, and passive means have always been enough.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: Finding The Keyboard With Least Mechanical Noise... [Re: LarryK] #2841650 04/23/19 09:43 AM
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member

Like I trust OSHA, lol.

The long term effects of exposure to white noise are unknown, and may be harmful.

I see no need to take the chance. Active noise cancellation did not sound good to me the one time I tried it, and passive means have always been enough.

Oh, I wasn't talking about the noise cancellation. I was referring to the white noise in the lab. I was saying that such white noise couldn't actually have been that loud even if annoying because of OSHA workplace regulations.

Re: Finding The Keyboard With Least Mechanical Noise... [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2841653 04/23/19 09:52 AM
L
LarryK Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L

Like I trust OSHA, lol.

Oh, I wasn't talking about the noise cancellation. I was referring to the white noise in the lab. I was saying that such white noise couldn't actually have been that loud even if annoying because of OSHA workplace regulations.

I know, my point is that the long term effects of working in that environment are unknown. My friends perceived the noise as loud. I don’t know the level of the noise, I never went there. I just wouldn’t expose myself to that noise day after day, year after year, even if it met OSHA requirements.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: Finding The Keyboard With Least Mechanical Noise... [Re: LarryK] #2841655 04/23/19 10:00 AM
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
I know, my point is that the long term effects of working in that environment are unknown. My friends perceived the noise as loud. I don’t know the level of the noise, I never went there. I just wouldn’t expose myself to that noise day after day, year after year, even if it met OSHA requirements.

Yes, of course. That's why the more modern way of not overhearing top secret conversations in a government facility is to use a SCIF instead. SCIFs can cost less than $100K each and won't tax ones ears the way you described at that lab. SCIFs are the modern-day "cone of silence." Even small private companies undertaking highly classified government work have their own SCIFs these days.

Re: Finding The Keyboard With Least Mechanical Noise... [Re: iPractiseEveryday] #2841682 04/23/19 11:50 AM
MacMacMac Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Try this. It's noise-cancelling.
It's a SCIF.
It's ideal !
[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
Christmas Ornaments Music Theme
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Help determine knuckle-center pin distance
by Apache - 12/08/19 04:37 AM
“Sit-stand desk” type keyboard stand?
by Elphaba - 12/08/19 02:23 AM
Size of notation on the page
by Nikolas - 12/08/19 12:27 AM
1ms audio, can you tell the difference?
by Abdol - 12/07/19 10:18 PM
Looking for Chappell 1886 upright information
by steven_usa - 12/07/19 10:16 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,566
Posts2,899,597
Members95,180
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission