Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
122 registered members (AndrewJCW, Abdol, Antihero, Animisha, ArturC, Ankee, anotherscott, achoo42, Apoll0, 31 invisible), 1,638 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Quality/appraisal question #2841264
04/21/19 06:47 PM
04/21/19 06:47 PM
Oklahoma, USA
K
kristinleighmusic Offline OP
kristinleighmusic  Offline OP
K

Oklahoma, USA
Hi! I’m a piano teacher and helping my student find a piano. They found one OUT of their budget but would be interested if it is a good buy. It’s a 42” Kawai console and is quite expensive, I feel, coming from an individual seller verses a store. Here is the description he gave us. I have a picture but it is not a public link yet that I can post. It’s beautiful from the photo. We are waiting to go play it for a specific reason. Here is the description he gave us.

"If you are a player, the piano has a pretty amazingly deep tone for it’s size. It also has a heavier touch like a large upright or a studio grand. The piano was bought locally, and has been tuned regularly it’s entire life. The hammers, action parts, and action movement are in extremely good condition. The piano has been well-maintained over it’s life, but it is interesting that it has been played so lightly based on “hammer wear.” The serial number is 302081. The manufacture date is fall of 1968. Probably first sold in 1970-1971 (at that time, shipment from Japan was painfully slow - Yamaha and Kawai has been recently introduced to the USA, and Japanese products were “suspect” to many Americans.”

My main concern as a teacher is that I’ve heard that these early Kawais are sometimes known to not hold a tune well. Do you all have any insight on that at all? Or if any technicians are out there, have you experienced that with this time frame for this brand.

Thanks for any help you can give. Any time I have any suggestion that something might not hold a tune, I take a hard pass, regardless of the price. My friend that is very knowledgeable suggested I ask the question here.

Last edited by kristinleighmusic; 04/21/19 06:56 PM.
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Quality/appraisal question [Re: kristinleighmusic] #2841275
04/21/19 07:52 PM
04/21/19 07:52 PM
New York City
pianoloverus Online content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
pianoloverus  Online Content

New York City
Although the seller is more specific than many others and seems to know something about what makes a good piano, there is no way of knowing anything he says is true without an inspection, first by you and your student, and then probably by a tech unless you are extremely knowledgeable about pianos.

A fifty year old and pretty short Kawai should not be fairly expensive unless one has a pretty low budget.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 04/21/19 07:56 PM.
Re: Quality/appraisal question [Re: pianoloverus] #2841283
04/21/19 08:12 PM
04/21/19 08:12 PM
Oklahoma, USA
K
kristinleighmusic Offline OP
kristinleighmusic  Offline OP
K

Oklahoma, USA
Thanks so much, pianoloverus. They are asking $1200 and even though that includes moving, a tuning and year of mechanical warranty, for a 50 year old piano, it seemed a little high to me for a peer to peer sale verses coming from a store. They are a “company” but not a music storefront. “Expensive” may not have been the best word choice on my part. Let’s just say this student is unfortunately playing on a keyboard right now, so anything is really a step up. We have been looking more at spinets that are older and still good quality than are significantly less expensive. They just found this one themselves and Kawai’s are very loved right now. But they have come a long way since ‘68.

Re: Quality/appraisal question [Re: kristinleighmusic] #2841286
04/21/19 08:44 PM
04/21/19 08:44 PM
Queensland, Australia
backto_study_piano Offline
1000 Post Club Member
backto_study_piano  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Queensland, Australia
Mum&Dad bought a new KAWAI upright in about 1967, but wasn't a console, taller than 42" - probably about 45-47".

Mum played it every night for at least an hour, us 5 children/teenagers all played it extensively - some days it would seem to be going all day (before and after school). About 2000, she bought another new piano and the KAWAI went to my brother's house. Sadly, he doesn't play it much, but last time I played it, it was still going well. It has always been quite stable as far as holding his tune.

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
Re: Quality/appraisal question [Re: kristinleighmusic] #2841301
04/21/19 11:02 PM
04/21/19 11:02 PM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Rickster  Offline

Georgia, USA
I have an older Kawai K48A (48") upright piano from 1969 and it holds a tuning like a rock. I purchased it from a professional piano teacher's estate and you could easily tell it had been maintained very well during its life-time. I agree that the price may be a little high coming from a private seller, but it may be a very nice piano for a student.

In my view, older Kawai and Yamaha pianos made in Japan are very good pianos and can last a long time and take a beating. Any acoustic piano can be used-up and warn out, but Kawai and Yamaha pianos have a good reputation for longevity and holding up to harsh treatment. One that hasn't been played much and taken care of may be even better.

Just my .02.

Good luck!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Lang Lang Video - Bach WTC Prelude
by apianostudent. 10/23/19 12:58 PM
Ignore if not a coffee drinker
by Tyrone Slothrop. 10/23/19 11:51 AM
Your best practices for scoring improvs
by Abdol. 10/23/19 10:15 AM
DIY Grand Piano Action recondition and regulation
by TurboMatt. 10/23/19 10:13 AM
Weird old beginner piano songs
by DutchTea. 10/23/19 09:23 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,692
Posts2,882,589
Members94,725
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission