Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
94 registered members (Beowulf, ars3niy, Boboulus, 36251, ando, AndyP, anotherscott, 19 invisible), 1,103 guests, and 469 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: How do you like your teacher's piano? [Re: Stubbie] #2840981 04/20/19 03:02 PM
Sam S Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Copy products are the best - you can get them on Amazon too.

Sam

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: How do you like your teacher's piano? [Re: malkin] #2840989 04/20/19 03:26 PM
johnstaf Online Crying
2000 Post Club Member
Online Crying
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by malkin
Before I started lessons, I thought it would be important or somehow inspiring for the teacher to have a wonderful piano. I quickly realized that I would much rather get excellent instruction from a teacher.

I'd rather have both.

Re: How do you like your teacher's piano? [Re: DFSRN] #2840991 04/20/19 03:35 PM
NobleHouse Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by DFSRN
I use Cory products recommended by the store that sold me the piano. I just spray the key cleaner on the Cory cloth and wipe it about once a month. I was my hands before I play and with the Cory cloth (microfiber cloth) after I play each time I wipe the keys with the dry cloth.

https://www.corycare.com/product/key-brite-key-cleaner/

I use Cory products as well.

[Linked Image]
Re: How do you like your teacher's piano? [Re: Stubbie] #2841010 04/20/19 04:06 PM
pianoloverus Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Stubbie
For the fraction of piano students who plan to be professional musicians or gig frequently for fun, yes, adjusting quickly to all types of pianos and sounds is a good skill to learn. For the rest of us, most of our playing will be on our own piano or our teacher's piano with the occasional recital or piano party thrown in, and that skill is less valuable.
I totally agree. Even for PW members, who generally have a higher degree of interest and motivation than average, I bet only a tiny percent play more than very occasionally on a piano other than their home piano. I think the skill of playing on different pianos is quite overemphasized on PW.

Re: How do you like your teacher's piano? [Re: pianoloverus] #2841035 04/20/19 05:58 PM
zillybug Offline
My teacher has a Kawai grand that is always open. I have an Essex at home and the music school where I take a class and we play a lot of duets and pieces for two pianos has a Steinway . The Steinway is my favorite.
It really is a matter of taste though. Some of the others in the class do not like the Steinway and prefer the Kawais. They say the Steinway is not bright enough but I like a more mellow sound. I even prefer my Essex to my teacher’s piano. I find the action a little stiffer on it and I have more trouble playing softly on it. Of course it sounds great when he plays it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Re: How do you like your teacher's piano? [Re: johnstaf] #2841052 04/20/19 08:05 PM
malkin Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by johnstaf
Originally Posted by malkin
Before I started lessons, I thought it would be important or somehow inspiring for the teacher to have a wonderful piano. I quickly realized that I would much rather get excellent instruction from a teacher.

I'd rather have both.

Of course. And a jet plane and a bicycle.
But for the moment I have an incredible teacher. And a bicycle.

Learner
Re: How do you like your teacher's piano? [Re: Stubbie] #2841084 04/21/19 12:49 AM
T
thepianoplayer416 Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
I go to group classes at the local conservatory. The room has 4 rows of Yamaha Clavinova DPs. My teacher does teach privately during the week in the conservatory (presumably in a room with a Yamaha upright or a C3 grand).

I have a Yamaha DP at home and go to the conservatory regularly to rent a piano by the hour. In a given day I can be playing a Yamaha, Heintzman (made in Canada), Young Chang upright, Yamaha C3 or Steinway grand depending on the room available. All the pianos there are tuned regularly. Early in the morning I have more choices for a room with a specific brand of piano when the place is not busy.

A community center in my area also rent pianos by the hour. The ones there are mostly Yamaha uprights except for 1 room with a grand piano that are tuned regularly.

Re: How do you like your teacher's piano? [Re: Stubbie] #2841146 04/21/19 08:32 AM
D
dumka1 Offline
D
My teacher's piano (a Yamaha upright) is better than mine (a pretty old but good-looking Baldwin Acrosonic upright). Hers has a richer, more sonorous sound (I think it's quite newer than mine). It always takes quite a bit of adjustment because everything just sounds louder on her piano and I feel like I'm playing there more heavily than I'd like to. But she thinks that a good piano player can always adjust to almost any piano, so she usually dismisses my complaints smile (in a nice way; she's absolutely amazing).

Re: How do you like your teacher's piano? [Re: dumka1] #2841150 04/21/19 08:39 AM
C
Colin Miles Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by dumka1
. But she thinks that a good piano player can always adjust to almost any piano, so she usually dismisses my complaints smile (in a nice way; she's absolutely amazing).

Being able to adjust to almost any piano is a very important part of learning to play the instrument. Well worth trying to play on as many as possible and a trip to a piano store is a good excuse to do that and enjoy different pianos in the process.

Roland LX7

South Wales, UK
Re: How do you like your teacher's piano? [Re: pianoloverus] #2841156 04/21/19 08:48 AM
D
DFSRN Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
D
My teacher has me play on different pianos at the school, we switch rooms when available. My teacher is a paid performer once a month at a nursing home in which my father-in-law is in. I play a solos or a duet with him to get use to playing in front of people (hard for me to do). A while back there was a song with a glissando, on the YUS 5 it was not an issue, never thought about how it would happen on another piano. When I got to that part and did that, it did not seem to work and I am thinking what happened. The piano out there is old and it was challenge. For me playing on different pianos it helping me adapt to the nursing home piano. I am a nervous player anyway, and when I play on a decent piano and then have to play on one that may have issues, it is an adjustment.

Deb
"A goal properly set is halfway reached." Zig Ziglar
Re: How do you like your teacher's piano? [Re: Stubbie] #2841295 04/21/19 09:25 PM
H
Hotstrings Offline
H
My teacher has this huge K Kawai grand .takes up half the room. So the feel is different than my Kawai ES 110 . So solid .

Re: How do you like your teacher's piano? [Re: Stubbie] #2841315 04/21/19 11:40 PM
P
PianogrlNW Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
P
OK, now I can confess. i don’t like my teacher’s piano. It’s an older model Mason & Hamlin with the real deal ivory keys that are very discolored but not in a uniform way. I am used to pristine looking keys that are uniform in color. I feel like I never play as well on her piano to reflect my abilities. Her piano also seems less responsive, harder to control. My own piano is a Schimmel grand.

Re: How do you like your teacher's piano? [Re: dogperson] #2841317 04/21/19 11:50 PM
P
PianogrlNW Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by dogperson
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Originally Posted by BruceD
While my two recent teachers have very good grands, a good, new Steinway A (?) currently, my biggest concern with one of my teachers was that the keys were rarely cleaned, and she taught a number of young children! Well, you never know where their fingers have been! i am not a germaphobe, but the feel of a grimy keyboard gave me more concern than the occasional out-of-tune unison.

Regards,

I'm the same way! Just bring a pack of these for your next lesson and 3 mins and you'll be good to go!

I would not use those chemical wipes on my piano Keys... soap and water mixture or vinegar and water mixture or compound made for cleaning keys. Chemicals like these wipes are not recommended. If you are planning on cleaning someone else’s piano keys..,,,, ask first what is acceptable

Agree wih dogperson. I use only a cloth dampened by water to clean my keys. Even though I am the only one using it, and sometimes my duet partner, I wipe down my keys every couple of weeks.

Re: How do you like your teacher's piano? [Re: Stubbie] #2841324 04/22/19 12:50 AM
Chrispy Offline
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
My teacher has a Steinway Model M that is probably turn of the century (19th to 20th) that was rebuilt in the 80's. It's a beast. Very heavy action, hard to control for me. It's not a joy by any means. And this is intentional. He has another Steinway upstairs in his home (he has a basement level room turned in to a music studio.) Apparently it is much nicer and easier to play, and in fact he used to have it in his studio. However, he decided it was beneficial for his students to learn on a more difficult piano as there is technique he can teach with it that gets smoothed over by the nice piano, so he had them switched.

Now learning: Chopin C# minor Nocturne (posth) and C minor Prelude (big chords)
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Kawai ES110, Roland GO:PIANO
Re: How do you like your teacher's piano? [Re: Stubbie] #2841357 04/22/19 06:19 AM
Dr. Rogers Offline
As a teacher, I start new students on a digital (Yamaha P-255) until they build up some basic technique and then move them on to my primary piano - a Baldwin SD-10 concert grand, whom I affectionately call Kuroneko. The German action on Kuroneko is fairly heavy, which I like, but can be tricky for some students at first.

In contrast, I have a colleague who is a retired conservatory professor (Donetsk and Novosibirsk). She mostly teaches on a mediocre Steinway (I think it's a rebuilt M) at her daughter's music school. In her home studio, she has one of the worst Yamaha uprights (not sure of the model) I have ever played (and I've played some stinkers)! She is currently coaching me through ABRSM Grade 8, and I was in shock the first time I played that thing. Even she says it isn't a good piano, but I figure if I can do well on that monstrosity then it won't matter what piano I have to play at the exam.

When I was a child in the remote Appalachian wilderness, my teacher had a very well-maintained Baldwin console. I had a Conn console at home - built like a tank, perfect for a child's banging, but not a very musical piano.

Austin Rogers, PhD
Music Teacher in Austin, TX
Baldwin SD-10 Concert Grand "Kuroneko", Baldwin Upright, Yamaha P-255
Re: How do you like your teacher's piano? [Re: Dr. Rogers] #2841358 04/22/19 06:24 AM
L
LarryK Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Dr. Rogers
As a teacher, I start new students on a digital (Yamaha P-255) until they build up some basic technique and then move them on to my primary piano - a Baldwin SD-10 concert grand, whom I affectionately call Kuroneko. The German action on Kuroneko is fairly heavy, which I like, but can be tricky for some students at first.

How long before you graduate students to the acoustic? What are they playing? I’m trying to build up a case to convince my wife to let me get an acoustic upright, a Seiler with the cool magnet action, if I can get away with it. :-) I don’t have room for a grand.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: How do you like your teacher's piano? [Re: LarryK] #2841376 04/22/19 08:13 AM
Dr. Rogers Offline
Originally Posted by LarryK
How long before you graduate students to the acoustic? What are they playing? I’m trying to build up a case to convince my wife to let me get an acoustic upright, a Seiler with the cool magnet action, if I can get away with it. :-) I don’t have room for a grand.

I usually keep them on the electric for about a month or so, just long enough for them to develop some rudimentary technique. I may be over-cautious, but I don't want anyone hurting themselves on Kuroneko's heavy action.

All of my beginning students over the past several years have started on digitals; many stay on digitals but some do eventually acquire and upright or a grand.

Austin Rogers, PhD
Music Teacher in Austin, TX
Baldwin SD-10 Concert Grand "Kuroneko", Baldwin Upright, Yamaha P-255
Re: How do you like your teacher's piano? [Re: Stubbie] #2841377 04/22/19 08:15 AM
J
jdw Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
My teacher's studio piano is a Steinway M. I like its sound and touch a lot--quite different from my Baldwin, which I also like of course. I've gotten used to adjusting but I'm still sometimes surprised by the different response in particular spots.

1989 Baldwin R
Currently working on:​
Schubert, Op. 90 no. 2
Sinding, Frühlingsrauschen (Rustle of Spring)
Beethoven, Sonata no. 14 in C# minor (Moonlight)
Re: How do you like your teacher's piano? [Re: Stubbie] #2841508 04/22/19 05:24 PM
E
enw10 Offline
E
My first teacher taught on an out of tune spinet. It was so old it wouldn't stay in tune anymore. I mean, there are limits. My teacher now has a nice Baldwin baby grand that she only allows her adult students to play (kids use the upright).

Re: How do you like your teacher's piano? [Re: Stubbie] #2841584 04/23/19 04:31 AM
B
barbaram Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
My current teacher has Yamaha U3 that is 30+ years old. A very modest instrument compared to what many of you are describing, but it has been meticulously maintained and is in excellent condition. My previous teacher taught in a music school where the condition and maintenance of the instruments was really quite disappointing. Notwithstanding, I still go there periodically to practice playing an acoustic as I have a DP at home. The one I usually had lessons on was a Kawai upright and for all its flaws is better than most of the rest I've played there.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Opinions on Kawai Piano
by imisch - 12/07/19 06:20 PM
Undercover” To offset drafts
by Coda9 - 12/07/19 06:10 PM
upright for jazz
by bajtucha - 12/07/19 04:47 PM
Tech recommendation for Arlington, Mass.c
by pianoloverus - 12/07/19 03:10 PM
accessories!
by TheophilusCarter - 12/07/19 01:30 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,549
Posts2,899,488
Members95,175
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission