2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, 36251, benkeys, 9 invisible), 2,042 guests, and 334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
I
OP Offline
I
Hi guys,

I was about to buy the Nord Piano 4...
But then I realized the Fatar keybed is producing noise that is too distracting...
I know mechanical noise is completely normal when playing on digital keyboards, but the thumping sounds on these particular units are just unbearable.
I will be playing the keyboard in a quiet environment i.e. my bedroom most of the time. If it's already annoying to me in the store, I guess I will just pass playing it at home.

Therefore, I am on search for other keyboards that delivers similar functionalities / sounds but offers a much quieter keybed...

At the similar price range, there are the Roland RD2000 / Yamaha CP88.

Does anyone have experience with the them?
Do these units sound significantly quieter?
Or would you recommend other keyboard in the market?

I found this video demonstrating the noisiness of a Fatar keybed on a Nord unit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3LeMPHKRrE

This is just as what I experienced at the store. This might be okay on stage, but it surely gets distracting when playing at home frown

Last edited by iPractiseEveryday; 04/20/19 12:18 PM.
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by iPractiseEveryday
...I am on search for other keyboards that delivers similar functionalities / sounds but offers a much quieter keybed...

"Similar" functionalities is a very vague term.

You may wish to describe which functionalities within the Nord Piano4 that you need or want.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
N
N
Hi guys,

I was about to buy the Nord Piano 4...
But then I realized the Fatar keybed is producing noise that is too distracting...
I know mechanical noise is completely normal when playing on digital keyboards, but the thumping sounds on these particular units are just unbearable.
I will be playing the keyboard in a quiet environment i.e. my bedroom most of the time. If it's already annoying to me in the store, I guess I will just pass playing it at home.

Therefore, I am on search for other keyboards that delivers similar functionalities / sounds but offers a much quieter keybed...

Does anyone have experience with the them?
Do these units sound significantly quieter?
Or would you recommend other keyboard in the market?

I found this video demonstrating the noisiness of a Fatar keybed on a Nord unit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3LeMPHKRrE

This is just as what I experienced at the store. This might be okay on stage, but it surely gets distracting when playing at home frown

Against everyone elses knowledge, I would ask you to try the Lachnit MK23. It's expensive, but regulated.
It's regulated and completely handcrafted. It uses a TP40W Fatar Keybed. I have not tried myself, but, it's very special and might fulfill your wishes.
You can't compare the keybed to the implementation Nord has done. It's completely different.
If someone does say per se again (when it's not first hand knowledge), that all Fatar Keybeds are not good, I won't listen anymore.
Because often, it doesn't matter what you use. If your implementation is bad, it won't make the difference.
What also is, mass-produced products might not have the precision, handcrafted products have. They have a higher tolerance for errors.

I will buy this instrument soon, and once I have it, I will give you some of my observations.
I have to wait till I have saved up.

Best

Last edited by nicknameTaken; 04/20/19 12:25 PM.
S
S
Korgs rh3 is pretty silent according to my experience

N
N
Originally Posted by Snail
Korgs rh3 is pretty silent according to my experience

If you go for Korg RH3, make sure to not pick the Korg D1. I had it for a while and the keys feel 'stuck'. Unlike in the old Korg Kronos 88 where it's definitively different.

Last edited by nicknameTaken; 04/20/19 12:34 PM.
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
The GF action in the MP11/MP11S# is *by far* the quietest mechanism you will encounter in a slab format. Everything else is just fighting for second place.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
I
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted by dmd
...I am on search for other keyboards that delivers similar functionalities / sounds but offers a much quieter keybed...

"Similar" functionalities is a very vague term.

You may wish to describe which functionalities within the Nord Piano4 that you need or want.

I think the attribute I value most right now is the quietness of key action... That's the main reason why I'm getting rid of my old digital piano.

Other than that, what I like about the Nord Piano 4, is the on-the-fly tweaking options and the great sound library.

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A

Kawai MP11/MP11SE have functionality that is pretty close to the CP88 (even with similar operational design, except effects are controlled by definable rather than dedicated knobs), but should have a quiet keyboard, similar to the Kawai in the video you posted. (I don't know how loud or quiet the CP88 is.)

M
M
I'm also thinking about upgrading. Similar considerations. For me at least, I think it's limited to Roland or Kawai, because of noisy keybeds from other brands. The RD2000 and Fa-08 felt pretty similar when I played them. Don't know about midi functionality, but RD2000 has full release velocity. I haven't had the opportunity to play a newer korg RH3, but when I tried one a year or two ago, the action was pretty stiff. There are rumors that the newer RH3s are less stiff. I wonder if anyone has experience with the Kronos SE?

U1. RD-2000. Komplete Kontrol 61 1st gen. Pianoteq, Ravenscroft, etc. Two kids on Alfred.
A
arc Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Gombessa
The GF action in the MP11/MP11S# is *by far* the quietest mechanism you will encounter in a slab format. Everything else is just fighting for second place.

+1

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

It may be the quietest, but there's not much in it. Roland's cheapest action PHa40, I think that's what it's called, is very quiet indeed. You'll find that out if you you try it. I suspect you may not have. It's solid, bottoms out nicely and quiet at the same time.
And the Kawai compact grand found on the CA48, and 58 is pleasantly quiet too.
So you don't have to spend that much!

Last edited by peterws; 04/20/19 05:10 PM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
A
arc Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by peterws

It may be the quietest, but there's not much in it. Roland's cheapest action PHa40, I think that's what it's called, is very quiet indeed. You'll find that out if you you try it. I suspect you may not have. It's solid, bottoms out nicely and quiet at the same time.

What do you mean "there not much in it"? The GF (II) action is a wooden key action and Kawai's best DP action. The PHA-40 is an entry-level plastic folded action from Roland...

And the Kawai compact grand found on the CA48, and 58 is pleasantly quiet too.
So you don't have to spend that much!

The CAx8 are cabinet DPs and not in the same product category as the Nord Piano 4, Roland RD2000 or Yamaha CP88. Kawai's stage pianos are the MP8 and MP11. Only the MP11 features the GF action.

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
I've tried most of the Roland actions. They're not particularly quiet, even by plastic action standards. Ivory feel G, PHA-III, PHA-IV Concert, PHA-IV Standard, PHA-50.... Particularly, they develop a fairly loud key return thump as the top foam strip wears down, and they rattle audibly on glissandos.

Yamaha's GH based actions are probably the next quietest after the Kawai wooden key actions, IMO.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
I
OP Offline
I
What about the newly announced Nord Grand?

M
M
So... MP11se best, then VPC1 then MP7se/ES8 for mechanical noise? MP7/ES acceptable, or would be of concern for those easily annoyed by noise?

U1. RD-2000. Komplete Kontrol 61 1st gen. Pianoteq, Ravenscroft, etc. Two kids on Alfred.
I've tried most of the Roland actions. They're not particularly quiet, even by plastic action standards. Ivory feel G, PHA-III, PHA-IV Concert, PHA-IV Standard, PHA-50.... Particularly, they develop a fairly loud key return thump as the top foam strip wears down, and they rattle audibly on glissandos.

Yamaha's GH based actions are probably the next quietest after the Kawai wooden key actions, IMO.

You're wrong. But don't worry about it . . . try the newer ones and see. I've had mine 4 years and it's still quiet. The wife won't let me change for that reason. And I won't either until something better comes along.

"[Linked Image]"
Originally Posted by Melving
So... MP11se best, then VPC1 then MP7se/ES8 for mechanical noise? MP7/ES acceptable, or would be of concern for those easily annoyed by noise?

Somehow, you're going to have to try these yourself!

"[Linked Image]"
My Yamaha P-515 has a very quiet keyboard.

Chris

Yamaha P-515, Yamaha Reface CP.
I
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted by Cheshire Chris

Does that mean the CP88 has a quiet keybed too? Heard that they share the same action

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Cheshire Chris

Does that mean the CP88 has a quiet keybed too? Heard that they share the same action

Not exactly the same... specs say
P-515: NWX action
CP88: NW-GH action (same as CP4)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission