Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
73 registered members (beeboss, Alan LJ, AlphaBravoCharlie, 7uturu, Chopin Acolyte, Chrispy, Christoph1960, 20 invisible), 1,306 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Buying first grand and torn, thoughts? #2840322
04/17/19 11:56 PM
04/17/19 11:56 PM
Indianapolis, IN
O
opus64 Offline OP
opus64  Offline OP
O

Indianapolis, IN
Hello,

After decades on digitals and most recently the Kawai NV10, I am finally getting an acoustic. I have room for up to a 7' grand. While I am still learning/reading the rich history and intricacies of grand pianos as well as playing different ones as much as I can, I would appreciate any input from all the great experienced folks here.

My goal is to get a grand that (1) feels and sounds great which is mostly subjective of course (2) is in good shape and can take the abuse for years of hopefully daily practice and (3) it would be nice if it was still worth something if ever sold it/traded it down the road.

Option 1: Steinway B
I am a fan of the Steinway D sound and as far as I have seen this is the closest I can get. I found a 1996 Steinway B (all original) that appears to be very lightly used. I have linked some pictures and if anyone experienced cares to take a look I would appreciate any comments:

1996 Steinway B Pictures

I absolutely love the sound of this piano, it is my favorite in terms of sound. It's hard to describe but it has that 'bell' sound in the upper register. The action is phenomenal as well. However is there any concern with it being 23 years old with all original parts? Despite the NV10 being relatively new i'm already having problems with loose hammer heads so i'm worried a 23 year old instrument might be asking for trouble for heavy use.

One disadvantage is that I will have to keep the NV10 for headphone practice. It is a disadvantage not because I dislike the NV10 but because now I'll have 2 actions and it takes up space in the same room.

Option 2: Yamaha S5X or S3X
I played a Yamaha S7X and was very impressed by it, it is really something else. An S5X or S3X seems like a good, practical option. The sound is great although I do subjectively prefer the brighter sound of the Steinway. However this path has an advantage in that I can get it with the silent system(no diskclavier), practice on the same acoustic action and trade-in the NV10. I am unsure if the silent has any negative effect vs the same piano without it. When I played it, the action seemed slightly heavier in silent mode but it was very close. This path is also more expensive, since it is new, and I am unsure years from now if it would be worth as much as the Steinway.

Any thoughts? Should I follow the heart or brain?

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: Buying first grand and torn, thoughts? [Re: opus64] #2840331
04/18/19 02:04 AM
04/18/19 02:04 AM
Queensland, Australia
backto_study_piano Online content
1000 Post Club Member
backto_study_piano  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member

Queensland, Australia
Originally Posted by opus64
Hello,

After decades on digitals and most recently the Kawai NV10, I am finally getting an acoustic. I have room for up to a 7' grand. While I am still learning/reading the rich history and intricacies of grand pianos as well as playing different ones as much as I can, I would appreciate any input from all the great experienced folks here.

My goal is to get a grand that (1) feels and sounds great which is mostly subjective of course (2) is in good shape and can take the abuse for years of hopefully daily practice and (3) it would be nice if it was still worth something if ever sold it/traded it down the road.

Option 1: Steinway B
I am a fan of the Steinway D sound and as far as I have seen this is the closest I can get. I found a 1996 Steinway B (all original) that appears to be very lightly used. I have linked some pictures and if anyone experienced cares to take a look I would appreciate any comments:

1996 Steinway B Pictures

I absolutely love the sound of this piano, it is my favorite in terms of sound. It's hard to describe but it has that 'bell' sound in the upper register. The action is phenomenal as well. However is there any concern with it being 23 years old with all original parts? Despite the NV10 being relatively new i'm already having problems with loose hammer heads so i'm worried a 23 year old instrument might be asking for trouble for heavy use.

One disadvantage is that I will have to keep the NV10 for headphone practice. It is a disadvantage not because I dislike the NV10 but because now I'll have 2 actions and it takes up space in the same room.

Option 2: Yamaha S5X or S3X
I played a Yamaha S7X and was very impressed by it, it is really something else. An S5X or S3X seems like a good, practical option. The sound is great although I do subjectively prefer the brighter sound of the Steinway. However this path has an advantage in that I can get it with the silent system(no diskclavier), practice on the same acoustic action and trade-in the NV10. I am unsure if the silent has any negative effect vs the same piano without it. When I played it, the action seemed slightly heavier in silent mode but it was very close. This path is also more expensive, since it is new, and I am unsure years from now if it would be worth as much as the Steinway.

Any thoughts? Should I follow the heart or brain?

I wouldn't worry about the potential resale value "years from now". Trying to predict anything that far away is difficult, and the piano market has changed considerably over years. Plus - don't forget the STEINWAY will always be 23 years older than the 2019 piano.

That said - taking fiscal matters into consideration, get the piano you'll enjoy playing for "years from now". If you get one you don't end up enjoying, that will mean another purchase down the line.

I believe you can get a silent action in a Steinway - I saw one in an "A" Hamburg in a showroom (I think it was an A) a few years ago. There used to be one advertise on this actual page - maybe a SEARCH in PianoWorld (or GOOGLE and include the word PianoWorld) might find it.

I don't recall playing an S series Yamaha (none within 2000km), but they're in the same mould as the Shigeru KAWAI, which you could look at too.

There are many, many other brands of piano which would probably suit your wishes.

I wouldn't rush, I took about 4 years to get my dream piano (buying one in the meantime which I upgraded) - and in the meantime, have a look at other makes of equivalent pianos in PianoBuyer:
https://www.pianobuyer.com/Resources/Piano-Brands-Profiles

Or here - where you can sort by size, colour, quality and price:
https://www.pianobuyer.com/Searchab...n=True&PlayerAddOn=0&PercentOff=
[I think this might open up to something like what you might be looking at - adjust if you wish]

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
Re: Buying first grand and torn, thoughts? [Re: opus64] #2840334
04/18/19 02:29 AM
04/18/19 02:29 AM
H
Hakki Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Hakki  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
H

I absolutely love the sound of this piano, it is my favorite in terms of sound. It's hard to describe but it has that 'bell' sound in the upper register. The action is phenomenal as well. However is there any concern with it being 23 years old with all original parts?

IMO you should ask yourself whether you might regret not buying this piano after you buy the Yamaha S5X.
Buying a piano is a long term process. I suggest you to play as many pianos as you can before making your final decision. Also if you decide to buy used, definitely have it checked by an unbiased technician.

Re: Buying first grand and torn, thoughts? [Re: opus64] #2840341
04/18/19 03:54 AM
04/18/19 03:54 AM
Zichron Yaacov, Israel
S
Steve Jackson Offline
500 Post Club Member
Steve Jackson  Offline
500 Post Club Member
S

Zichron Yaacov, Israel
I've never heard someone say, several years after a purchase "I sure wish I bought the piano I didn't like as much and saved a small amount of money" I do hear the opposite.

Steve

Re: Buying first grand and torn, thoughts? [Re: opus64] #2840388
04/18/19 08:40 AM
04/18/19 08:40 AM
D
dhts Offline
dhts  Offline
D

It's good to hear from someone else looking to make the switch. I hadn't played an acoustic for decades having played digital pianos but have had two visits to piano stores of late comparing the top end DP's labelled Hybrids with acoustic grands I know where I'm heading. I refer to Hybrids in that way as I think what Yamaha have done with the Transacoustics are really true hybrids.

At present, though each time I go into a store my budget seems to magically increase much to my wife's concern, the S5X is more than I'd want to spend but I've had a couple of sessions on the C3X and really like it. Like you I'm wrestling with the silent/two piano debate. Viewing this as a keeper piano, I'm somewhat put off by the silent option given the electronics are only guaranteed for 2 years in the UK, whereas you'd want the piano to have a lifetime of decades with care. As you've already got the NV10 and like it I might be tempted to go the 2 piano route - have you tried Kawai grands as this would presumably go a large part to addressing your concern of having two different actions to contend with ?

Re: Buying first grand and torn, thoughts? [Re: dhts] #2840392
04/18/19 08:58 AM
04/18/19 08:58 AM
Queensland, Australia
backto_study_piano Online content
1000 Post Club Member
backto_study_piano  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member

Queensland, Australia
Originally Posted by dhts
It's good to hear from someone else looking to make the switch. I hadn't played an acoustic for decades having played digital pianos but have had two visits to piano stores of late comparing the top end DP's labelled Hybrids with acoustic grands I know where I'm heading. I refer to Hybrids in that way as I think what Yamaha have done with the Transacoustics are really true hybrids.

At present, though each time I go into a store my budget seems to magically increase much to my wife's concern, the S5X is more than I'd want to spend but I've had a couple of sessions on the C3X and really like it. Like you I'm wrestling with the silent/two piano debate. Viewing this as a keeper piano, I'm somewhat put off by the silent option given the electronics are only guaranteed for 2 years in the UK, whereas you'd want the piano to have a lifetime of decades with care. As you've already got the NV10 and like it I might be tempted to go the 2 piano route - have you tried Kawai grands as this would presumably go a large part to addressing your concern of having two different actions to contend with ?

There probably isn't a problem with having 2 actions. I've encountered situations where a student only ever plays their own piano - apart from when they go to the teacher for a short time (relatively). I've suggested to people to play a variety of pianos on occasions. Whether the 2 KAWAIs will be similar, I doubt it - a grand and an upright from the same manufacturer can be quite different.

But, yes, try the KAWAI - they have more-or-less competitive pianos for most YAMAHA products. Some people prefer one over the other. The GX-3 is the equivalent of the C3X - the numbers more-or-less match. Not sure about there, but I think KAWAI has a 12 yr warranty here.

With the electronics of the silent system - I probably wouldn't have a concern. I've had YAMAHA products which, electronically have gone perfectly for decades, we had a lot of electronic keyboards in the school I worked, and the YAMAHA were the best from a reliability, bearing in mind that they weren't looked after well. And - if the worst happens and it stops, you've still got a lovely piano.

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
Re: Buying first grand and torn, thoughts? [Re: opus64] #2840398
04/18/19 09:26 AM
04/18/19 09:26 AM
Colorado
O
One Ohm Offline
One Ohm  Offline
O

Colorado
You pose a very interesting question. Do you listen to your heart or brain? For me that is always a tough one to answer since both feelings and opinions can change over time.

I purchased a new Yamaha S7X last year (no silent option stuff). I started my search thinking that I did not want a Yamaha. However, these new SX models are something very special, in my opinion. A good Steinway B can be wonderful. No question about it. My only frustration with Steinway is that they are not very consistent. If you find one that really speaks to you, then it should be a serious consideration.

I have not played the S5X, but if it is anything like my S7X then it has a better action than the Steinway, for sure, and it is built with more attention to detail and craftsmanship. However, that may not be important if you are not inspired when you play it. Keep in mind that pianos will change a little when you get them into your home and play them a lot. My S7X has actually improved with time playing. I had my piano tech recently do a subtle voicing after I had played it every day for 10 months. The piano is even more beautiful sounding and resonant than ever, in my opinion.

Now, I'm not trying to sell you on the Yamaha, I'm just letting you know I am very happy with it. In general, I would say follow your heart, but let your brain inject information into the conversation while you take enough time to determine if your feelings are lasting. Like dating...best not to get married after only one date.

Good luck. Choosing a piano is a lot of fun!

Re: Buying first grand and torn, thoughts? [Re: opus64] #2840414
04/18/19 10:14 AM
04/18/19 10:14 AM
T
tend to rush Offline
tend to rush  Offline
T

The B's just not that old, and hammers appear lightly used.

Re: Buying first grand and torn, thoughts? [Re: backto_study_piano] #2840415
04/18/19 10:21 AM
04/18/19 10:21 AM
Reseda, California
J
JohnSprung Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
JohnSprung  Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
J

Reseda, California
Originally Posted by backto_study_piano

There probably isn't a problem with having 2 actions. I've encountered situations where a student only ever plays their own piano - apart from when they go to the teacher for a short time (relatively).

Quite the opposite, having two or more actions to play on is a very good thing. It develops your ability to adapt to different instruments. People who only play one piano -- as I did my first few years -- get a major shock when they try to play a different one, and everything falls apart...

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Re: Buying first grand and torn, thoughts? [Re: opus64] #2840443
04/18/19 01:34 PM
04/18/19 01:34 PM
Indianapolis
G
GC13 Offline
500 Post Club Member
GC13  Offline
500 Post Club Member
G

Indianapolis
I'd follow your heart and go for the Steinway B, especially if you prefer that sound. If it checks out with a technician, I wouldn't worry about the age especially if it has seen very little use. It's past the Teflon era, so you should be good for a very long time. I played a Yamaha S7 recently, and I did love the sound of that piano, but the Steinway B sound is still where my heart is.

I'm in your area, so I'm going to send you a private message to your in box.

Re: Buying first grand and torn, thoughts? [Re: GC13] #2840446
04/18/19 01:47 PM
04/18/19 01:47 PM
Indianapolis
G
GC13 Offline
500 Post Club Member
GC13  Offline
500 Post Club Member
G

Indianapolis
Originally Posted by GC13
I'd follow your heart and go for the Steinway B, especially if you prefer that sound. If it checks out with a technician, I wouldn't worry about the age especially if it has seen very little use. It's past the Teflon era, so you should be good for a very long time. I played a Yamaha S7 recently, and I did love the sound of that piano, but the Steinway B sound is still where my heart is.

I'm in your area, so I'm going to send you a private message to your in box.

To add to what I said earlier. I enjoy getting out and about and playing lots of pianos, and I can appreciate the beauty and strengths of many of them. However, I personally have never regretted my decision to purchase my Steinway B.

Re: Buying first grand and torn, thoughts? [Re: opus64] #2840451
04/18/19 03:16 PM
CA
S
Sanfrancisco Online blank
Sanfrancisco  Online Blank
S

CA
I found buying your first grand and having it be a keeper to be difficult and costly. I played a lot of pianos over 3 years and still made mistakes. I went from a N1 to N3 to Wm Schimmel 180 to finally an 210 Estonia. I initially thought in a high rise apartment only a digital would work. I was wrong. On the N3 I found myself playing without headphones most of the time and with an auxiliary subwoofer it was just as loud as any acoustic with no neighbor complaints. With the Schimmel, which I played for a total of 3 hours in the showroom over many visits, after 6 months I realized it didn't have a "big" enough sound (not a matter of loudness). I bought the Estonia almost on an impulse after playing it 1/2 hour in an out of town shop. 2 years later I am more convinced then ever that this will be my keeper. The first two were moveup trade ins, so little money lost. With the Schimmel the dealer didn't stand up to the trade up policy so I lost an appreciable amount.
So- how could I have just bought the Estonia first? I'm afraid I can't give opus64 any easy answer. From what I read on PW variations of my experience are unfortunately not uncommon.

Last edited by Sanfrancisco; 04/18/19 03:17 PM.
Re: Buying first grand and torn, thoughts? [Re: opus64] #2840452
Glendale, Ca.
Dave Ferris Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Happy Birthday Dave Ferris  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Glendale, Ca.
Fwiw , I've owned two Yamahas - '85 C7e and a '97 S6 - before I acquired my D in March of 2006. I recently played the CFX next to a Bosendorfer 290VC, and I've played the CF6 quite a few times as well. I haven't played the SX pianos yet.

While Yamahas were and still are great pianos, once you own and are accustomed to the NY Steinway sound and tone - Yamahas sound pretty vanilla, at least to my ears now. The thickness and complexity of the tone, the entire player connection -- Steinway is just an entirely more refined and sophisticated musical world imo.

It took me actually about 5 years of ownership before "that sound" really started to become ingrained in my musical psyche, after owning and playing Yamahas in recording studios and live gigs. Now, while I can appreciate a great sounding and playing piano, there are many, it simply isn't a NY Steinway.

I do feel pop/rock type players are less sensitive to these qualities as opposed to Jazz and Classical players.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

2005 NY Steinway D # 571692
Yamaha CP4, CP5
Re: Buying first grand and torn, thoughts? [Re: opus64] #2840453
04/18/19 03:25 PM
04/18/19 03:25 PM
Santa Fe, NM
AaronSF Offline
500 Post Club Member
AaronSF  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Santa Fe, NM
I've played a lot of badly rebuilt Bs, well rebuilt Bs, and relatively new Bs like the one you're considering. A really great Steinway B is hard to beat.

August Förster 215
Re: Buying first grand and torn, thoughts? [Re: opus64] #2840468
04/18/19 04:32 PM
04/18/19 04:32 PM
S
Simplex77 Offline
Simplex77  Offline
S

I am also searching for my first grand. If you're not financially constrained and you found "the one," then follow your heart. Two pianos / two actions is not a problem, at this price and at 7' pianos you've already justified the space in your house, and I think switching actions is healthy for a pianist.

If you are worried about price or just stressed about the choice, then remember that despite the common analogy buying a piano is not marriage, there are no lawyers/broken lives involved if you decide to upgrade later. Buying your dream piano your first time is high pressure, just find something you like. Then, several years down the line you will have more experience to help you decide what really matters if/when you want to upgrade. Just relax and enjoy piano shopping!

Re: Buying first grand and torn, thoughts? [Re: opus64] #2840497
04/18/19 06:58 PM
04/18/19 06:58 PM
Colorado
O
One Ohm Offline
One Ohm  Offline
O

Colorado
Well, there you go. "...Yamahas sound pretty vanilla...Steinway is just an entirely more refined and sophisticated musical world..."

You don't want to be one of those vanilla sounding people. You want to be refined and sophisticated! Go with the Steinway BS. wink

Seriously though, a good steinway B is wonderful. Just make sure you are getting a good one. And post some pics and recordings for us to enjoy! smile

Re: Buying first grand and torn, thoughts? [Re: opus64] #2840523
04/18/19 10:09 PM
04/18/19 10:09 PM
Detroit
F
Fidel Offline
Fidel  Offline
F

Detroit
A Hamburg Steinway B with a Renner action? Jeebus just buy it already. A B was my 2nd grand piano and imo the B model is one of the easiest types of grands to play: don't have to fight the bass to get the treble heard. It is in a sweet spot.

My piano is a true 7 footer and you wouldn't think 2 inches makes a difference but it does. The full 7 footers are harder to play, it's more like handling a 9 footer: the bass demands to rule.

Buy it. Life is short. Don't wait.

"the lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne." -- Chaucer.
Re: Buying first grand and torn, thoughts? [Re: One Ohm] #2840532
04/18/19 11:55 PM
04/18/19 11:55 PM
Glendale, Ca.
Dave Ferris Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Happy Birthday Dave Ferris  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Glendale, Ca.
Originally Posted by One Ohm
Well, there you go. "...Yamahas sound pretty vanilla...Steinway is just an entirely more refined and sophisticated musical world..."

You don't want to be one of those vanilla sounding people. You want to be refined and sophisticated! Go with the Steinway BS. wink

Seriously though, a good steinway B is wonderful. Just make sure you are getting a good one. And post some pics and recordings for us to enjoy! smile

David, I obviously hit a nerve on my post and I assure you that was not my intent. I don't post my words like that lightly but only from what I feel are 21 years (combined), and I can't estimate how many thousands of very intense, focused practice hours on two of Yamaha's finest instruments. Not to mention all the years in the trenches as a Professional Musician, playing their pianos in almost every context known to a working musician.

I stand by my comments, maybe vanilla is too harsh but I do feel an experienced pianist can hear the more complex sound of the Steinway over a Yamaha, any Yamaha. Whether that sound appeals to everyone is of course highly subjective.

I put in many hours on Jazz chord voicings and harmonic materiel that crosses over to being more Impressionistic to atonal outside the traditional Jazz realm. I feel that is one area that gives me somewhat of an identifiable voice in the Jazz world. There's a place in my brain that still has a file on how all of those voicings sounded on my S6. The same applies to the Chopin, Debussy Etudes and pieces from the Bach WTC I've worked on for a few decades. Not that I consider myself a Classical musician. I'm a Jazz guy that works on that stuff.

When I brought the D into my life 13 years ago, my musical instincts resisted. Before I sold the S6, I had both for about 5 months and I wasn't enjoying the Steinway at all. It was a foreign being. I almost sold it ! But like I posted, after a few years, my ears started relaxing, the piano started blossoming and I began hearing new nuances, in even the most simple chord voicings, that it was like a rebirth for me.

A simple Gm7b5 to C7 b9 to FmMaj7, transposed to all 12 keys, was like a revelation ! The Dominant 7 +11 chords, a staple in any Jazz pianist's vocabulary, sung and took on an entirely different color compared to the Yamaha.

At 65, I don't have the stamina I did, even in my early 50s, to put in 4-5 hours every day...and then go do a gig at night. But for the couple hours I still try to get in every day, I hear my piano ( and my wife makes the same comment) as being much easier and less fatiguing on the ears then the Yamahas.

Again I apologize if you were offended. I've listened to some of your SX7 recordings and your piano sounds very nice indeed. I know you're proud of it and you should be. thumb

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

2005 NY Steinway D # 571692
Yamaha CP4, CP5
Re: Buying first grand and torn, thoughts? [Re: Dave Ferris] #2840599
04/19/19 08:39 AM
04/19/19 08:39 AM
Indianapolis
G
GC13 Offline
500 Post Club Member
GC13  Offline
500 Post Club Member
G

Indianapolis
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris
Originally Posted by One Ohm

David, I obviously hit a nerve on my post and I assure you that was not my intent. I don't post my words like that lightly but only from what I feel are 21 years (combined), and I can't estimate how many thousands of very intense, focused practice hours on two of Yamaha's finest instruments. Not to mention all the years in the trenches as a Professional Musician, playing their pianos in almost every context known to a working musician.

I stand by my comments, maybe vanilla is too harsh but I do feel an experienced pianist can hear the more complex sound of the Steinway over a Yamaha, any Yamaha. Whether that sound appeals to everyone is of course highly subjective.

I put in many hours on Jazz chord voicings and harmonic materiel that crosses over to being more Impressionistic to atonal outside the traditional Jazz realm. I feel that is one area that gives me somewhat of an identifiable voice in the Jazz world. There's a place in my brain that still has a file on how all of those voicings sounded on my S6. The same applies to the Chopin, Debussy Etudes and pieces from the Bach WTC I've worked on for a few decades. Not that I consider myself a Classical musician. I'm a Jazz guy that works on that stuff.

When I brought the D into my life 13 years ago, my musical instincts resisted. Before I sold the S6, I had both for about 5 months and I wasn't enjoying the Steinway at all. It was a foreign being. I almost sold it ! But like I posted, after a few years, my ears started relaxing, the piano started blossoming and I began hearing new nuances, in even the most simple chord voicings, that it was like a rebirth for me.

A simple Gm7b5 to C7 b9 to FmMaj7, transposed to all 12 keys, was like a revelation ! The Dominant 7 +11 chords, a staple in any Jazz pianist's vocabulary, sung and took on an entirely different color compared to the Yamaha.

At 65, I don't have the stamina I did, even in my early 50s, to put in 4-5 hours every day...and then go do a gig at night. But for the couple hours I still try to get in every day, I hear my piano ( and my wife makes the same comment) as being much easier and less fatiguing on the ears then the Yamahas.

Again I apologize if you were offended. I've listened to some of your SX7 recordings and your piano sounds very nice indeed. I know you're proud of it and you should be. thumb

Well said, Dave! When it comes to musical taste and piano taste, I'm a "to-each-his-own" kind of guy. I know that not every Steinway that comes out of the Astoria factory is a stellar instrument, but when they get one right it is a thing of beauty. When I chose mine, I was comparing my model B to a Yamaha C7 right beside it. I had always thought my favorite piano was a C7, but that day changed my thinking forever. After playing that model B, the C7 sounded very vanilla as you said, very plain. The color palette of the B was almost limitless. I have never played a S7X, but I have recently spent some time on a S6, and I did really enjoy that piano. It definitely had a broader color palette than any "C" series piano I've played. I also think the new CF and CX series is a step up from the old C-series -- closer to an "S". But I personally still prefer a Steinway over a Yamaha, especially when playing solo.

I personally wish that every single mention of Steinway here on PW didn't bring out the "Steinway-basher", "all Steinways are garbage" attitude. I don't mind the fans of other instruments singing the praises of the strengths of those pianos against the weaknesses often found in Steinway pianos. Comparing the merits of any two pianos is a very healthy thing here on PW. And I'm the 1st to admit that when dealing with older and rebuilt Steinway pianos, one really has to know their "stuff" and do their research. We definitely need to educate the public on the fact that the name Steinway on the fallboard doesn't necessarily mean it's a world class instrument. I know many here on PW hold the position that the only way Steinway name has the reputation and recognition it has is because of their product placement and marketing techniques which is true to a degree. We see these types of things in all industries. At the same time, I'll don't believe that Horowitz, Van Cliburn, Gould, Gershwin, Connick, Lang Lang and the like would play junk. The same can be said of any C. Bechstein, Yamaha, Bosendorfer, Kawai, Fazioli artist -- and I could name several more. All of the top piano brands have their position in the market place because of the quality of the instruments they produce. Our goal in advising piano purchases and owners here on PW should always take an objective tone to it to guide them to make the best decision for them personally.

Just me .02 wink

Re: Buying first grand and torn, thoughts? [Re: opus64] #2840620
04/19/19 10:03 AM
04/19/19 10:03 AM
Colorado
O
One Ohm Offline
One Ohm  Offline
O

Colorado
Whoah guys...lighten up. The only nerve you hit was my funny bone. That is why I put the wink at the end of the sentence. I was also playing on words from all the posts that use " "Steinway Bs are...", or " I have played many Steinway B's...", etc. I changed it to BS for a joke. Anyway, sounds like you may be the ones being sensitive. In both my posts I encouraged the purchase of the Steinway. Also, the S7X is not the only piano I have owned, or own, or have spent a lot of time on. Just like you wink I will spare you my music resume, favorite chords and piano practice hours. That is what I call proof-by-intimidation. Did I mention I have a PhD? wink

Last edited by One Ohm; 04/19/19 10:12 AM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha GC2
by spartan928. 06/16/19 07:44 PM
Top 100 Greatest Piano Works
by Franz Beebert. 06/16/19 07:02 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics192,560
Posts2,838,661
Members93,626
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission