Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
New in our online store...
Tea Light
Tea Light with Frosted Music Staff Candle Holder

-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
52 registered members (AZNpiano, Candywoman, Charles Cohen, 12 invisible), 1,096 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
What Are Your Thoughts On Sauter Pianos? #284027
08/12/05 06:57 PM
08/12/05 06:57 PM
Demosthenese Offline OP
Demosthenese  Offline OP
My wife and I are planning to buy a piano in the coming weeks in time for our first born baby. We've wanted a piano for a long time but never really got around to actually shopping for one. I've been playing piano for over 20 years, most of it Classical and jazz in the last 8 years.

I grew up on a Yamaha, and although I am comfortable with the feel and sound, I have been looking for other pianos. I've tried several already during my time, including Petrof, Steinbach, Schimmel, Steinway, Bluthner and Young Chang. There was always something with each one I was not completely happy with. One would sound too bright, the other too soft, the upper registers were too harsh, or it was just too expensive.

Along came a piano I had never heard of. The Sauter. After playing a few chords on a Ragazza 122, I had chills run up my spine. The action was lovely (heavy and quick), the tone melodic and full, the full range was balanced and rich, and it looks just beautiful!

I had never heard of Sauter before and although I have never been so impressed with an upright before, but this... this was unlike any other upright I've ever played. It is definately in a class of its own. The price is also in a class of its own, but after considering the other pianos, I believe that it is worth every bit extra.

My wife agrees with me with respect to the quality of the piano... and we're now just discussing the financing of it since it is certainly more expensive than our original budget.

The question to this forum is: has anyone else tried a Sauter before? Specifically the Ragazza 122 and felt the same way I did? I know pianos are extremely personal and shouldn't base my purchase on what other people think. We will buy this piano regardless because I feel it is truly a magnificant instrument, but since it apparantly is not a very well known brand, it would be nice to hear from people who have played, purchased and enjoy playing and owning a Sauter. I just lie away thinking of it... (it's just that good!)

Oh, yes, negative comments are also welcome! I very much would like to hear all opinions and experiences with the Sauter!

Anyone?

Anyone?

- Demosthenese

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: What Are Your Thoughts On Sauter Pianos? #284028
08/12/05 08:11 PM
08/12/05 08:11 PM
boston north
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member
lilylady  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
boston north
Welcome, Demo, to PWF!

I felt like I was 'thrown into' the world of the wonderful other brand uprights way before I was ready to hear them. One of the first qualtity uprights that I played in my quest for the piano of my lifetime was a Sauter.

Believe me it was quite an awakening! I truly didn't know what to think. Wow! Is this what is out there that the rest of the home pianists haven't heard of yet?

I was brought up on Baldwin's, Yamaha's, a Steinway grand (for a couple of years) and my old spinet that I still have.

I wrote a note here about it (March). My description still holds. I felt like I was in the woodlands. Tall trees, understory plantings, and treats among them. A storyland of voices and nuances. The one thing that I noted that was lacking was a 'punch' attack when I played something contempory.

The sound though, still stays is in my mind.

I want to play another. And another. I am sure I could fall in love with one.

Where are you located? Have you played more than one?

Let us know how you make out during your quest.

Roberta

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
Re: What Are Your Thoughts On Sauter Pianos? #284029
08/12/05 08:18 PM
08/12/05 08:18 PM
Encino, California
ChatNoir Offline
1000 Post Club Member
ChatNoir  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Encino, California
Back in 1975, I attended The Norwegian School of Hotel Management in Stavanger, Norway. The school had for a long time had a fund set aside for a piano, and I pushed the administration to use it and get an instrument for our entertainment. They told me to go out and find a piano, and I set out in little Stavanger to find something suitable to my taste. I tried Yamahas, Schimmels, August Försters, Wurlitzers (!) Petrofs, Kawaiis and Sauters. And Sauter won my heart. Beautiful tone and a very delicate and responsive action. The piano held its tuning beautifully, in spite of being placed in an old hotel by the beach, and I played happily after dinner almost every day. The Norwegian pianist Liv Glaser said once that the action on the Sauter Grand in Stavanger's little music hall was the best she had played ever. So I would say: Go for it, get your Sauter, and then invite me over for dinner to play.

Some men are music lovers. Others make love without it.
Re: What Are Your Thoughts On Sauter Pianos? #284030
08/12/05 10:32 PM
08/12/05 10:32 PM
SouthWest Michigan
R
Roger Ransom Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Roger Ransom  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R
SouthWest Michigan
Last weekend I visited Central Michigan Piano to look at their shop and talk to them about doing some work on my piano. They are a Sauter dealer and I listened to several of them including an upright (not sure of the model) a 7' Grand and a 9' Grand. I was extremely impressed with all of them. The tone is wonderful and the build quality is incredible. They have one that is a natural burl finish that was probably the most beautiful piano I've ever seen. They were selling the 9' at a great price but it was still far out of my range.

Wonderful pianos.

Laugh More
Yamaha G7 - Roland FP7 - Roland FP80
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
Re: What Are Your Thoughts On Sauter Pianos? #284031
08/12/05 10:34 PM
08/12/05 10:34 PM
Victoria, BC
B
beandoc Offline
beandoc  Offline
B
Victoria, BC
Norbert sells Sauters (I bought the Delta model grand from him). But he also plays a Sauter upright and is known to sing its praises around here.

From my perspective the Sauter I ended up with found that ideal place in my search -- dynamite action, lovely tone, powerful bass, gorgeous to see, and just a little (and sometimes alot) less expensive than competing models from Schimmel, Bosendorfer, Bechstein, Bluthner, Steinway, etc.

All that being said, do yourselves a favour and make sure you try as many pianos as you can. Bechstein uprights, in particular, blew me away when I was shopping a couple years ago.

Best of luck.

John, Eh

"Remember, wherever you go, there you are" -- Buckaroo Bonzai
Re: What Are Your Thoughts On Sauter Pianos? #284032
08/12/05 11:18 PM
08/12/05 11:18 PM
Singapore
Wzkit Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Wzkit  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Singapore
Originally posted by Demosthenese:
My wife and I are planning to buy a piano in the coming weeks in time for our first born baby. We've wanted a piano for a long time but never really got around to actually shopping for one. I've been playing piano for over 20 years, most of it Classical and jazz in the last 8 years.

I grew up on a Yamaha, and although I am comfortable with the feel and sound, I have been looking for other pianos. I've tried several already during my time, including Petrof, Steinbach, Schimmel, Steinway, Bluthner and Young Chang. There was always something with each one I was not completely happy with. One would sound too bright, the other too soft, the upper registers were too harsh, or it was just too expensive.

Along came a piano I had never heard of. The Sauter. After playing a few chords on a Ragazza 122, I had chills run up my spine. The action was lovely (heavy and quick), the tone melodic and full, the full range was balanced and rich, and it looks just beautiful!

I had never heard of Sauter before and although I have never been so impressed with an upright before, but this... this was unlike any other upright I've ever played. It is definately in a class of its own. The price is also in a class of its own, but after considering the other pianos, I believe that it is worth every bit extra.

My wife agrees with me with respect to the quality of the piano... and we're now just discussing the financing of it since it is certainly more expensive than our original budget.

The question to this forum is: has anyone else tried a Sauter before? Specifically the Ragazza 122 and felt the same way I did? I know pianos are extremely personal and shouldn't base my purchase on what other people think. We will buy this piano regardless because I feel it is truly a magnificant instrument, but since it apparantly is not a very well known brand, it would be nice to hear from people who have played, purchased and enjoy playing and owning a Sauter. I just lie away thinking of it... (it's just that good!)

Oh, yes, negative comments are also welcome! I very much would like to hear all opinions and experiences with the Sauter!

Anyone?

Anyone?

- Demosthenese
Like you, I grew up on a Yamaha WX-5, and perhaps that strongly influenced my conception of what kind of piano action/tone I would like. The Sauter uprights I tried(the Mline, the Noble and the Competence) really challenged these conceptions. For one, the action very different from my Yamahas - much heavier and more tiring to play, and to *me*, much slower than the Yamaha. I also found it harder to play very softly on the Sauters, compared to my Yamahas, although a good regulation subsequently changed that.

All Sauters I've played, whether the grand or uprights have an incredibly fat,rich and sustaining tone, somewhat on the bright and projecting side of the spectrum. I think this quality really sets it apart from other brands I've played.

In a nutshell, I am more impressed with the Sauter's tone than its action in general. Again I should emphasize however, that this is a purely subjective opinion which could also reflect my own technical deficiencies smile . If you really like the Ragazza 122, go for it. Afterall, at the end of the day, its really going to be YOUR piano, no one else's smile

My 2 cents worth

Sauter 185 Delta with accelerated action and burl walnut fallboard
Re: What Are Your Thoughts On Sauter Pianos? #284033
08/12/05 11:32 PM
08/12/05 11:32 PM
Surrey, B.C.
Norbert Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Norbert  Offline
Surrey, B.C.
Sauters are perhaps some of the most underrated high end pianos in the world today.

Underrated, because many dealers are reluctant to stock pianos that are relatively unknown and don't have a widely established market place.

Side by side, they put awe into those that have tried them.

Their uprights are also in a class of their own.

I own one.

By the way,in place of many grands I could also take home....

norbert

www.heritagepianos.com
Greater Vancouver B.C. piano dealers for : Estonia, Brodmann, Ritmuller
604-951-8642
Re: What Are Your Thoughts On Sauter Pianos? #284034
08/13/05 08:31 AM
08/13/05 08:31 AM
Demosthenese Offline OP
Demosthenese  Offline OP
These are fantastic replies - I'm surprised to hear from so many of you and so quickly!

Lilylady asked where I was from. I was born and grew up in Toronto, Canada. I met my wife while travelling in Australia and now I live in Delft, Holland.

My original mission was to try out the Yamaha U3, U5 and SU- models. They were what I had expected in terms of feel and sound, but the price was relatively more expensive than I had thought. I began to look at other pianos in that price range and the one store we went to was where the salesman showed us the Sauter. Yes, higher price, but when I played it, I was haunted.

I've also tried out a few Sauter Grands although I can't afford a grand piano, nor place one in our house. Nevertheless, the Sauter grands I played were also extraordinary (powerful, quick, full, melodic...)

Of the uprights, I have played the Competence, 122 Ragazza and the 122 Domino. The only difference I can tell between the Ragazza and Domino is the finishing on the piano's exterior. Technically, I can't tell.

The Competence is also a beauty. The price however is a little too high for us however.

We're definately leaning toward the 122 Ragazza at this moment.

Oh, another thing that sort of added the "icing on the cake" was how the top of piano lifts at one end of the entire length of the board instead of "folds" along it length like all the piano's I've seen. It adds a subtle difference to its visual appearance that I really thought was exquisit. I don't know how this will affect the volume/sound coming out the top though...

The Peter Maly editions also look totally out of this world...

Demos

Re: What Are Your Thoughts On Sauter Pianos? #284035
08/13/05 11:52 PM
08/13/05 11:52 PM
Utah
Eins Offline
500 Post Club Member
Eins  Offline
500 Post Club Member
Utah
Yes, the Maly editions are creme de la creme. Except for the round one. That creme has already turned cheesy wink

One of the funny things about the stock market is that every time one person buys, another sells, and both think they are astute.
-William Feather
Re: What Are Your Thoughts On Sauter Pianos? #284036
08/14/05 07:59 PM
08/14/05 07:59 PM
Los Angeles County
tk Offline
500 Post Club Member
tk  Offline
500 Post Club Member
Los Angeles County
Hey, Eins, I hope you aren't talking about mine (the Cura model)!! I think my Maly Sauter is gorgeous!!

I love my Sauter, and each time I look at it I can hardly believe it's mine!

My thoughts on the action are similar to Wzkit's--heavier and more tiring to play than a Yamaha (though, it is wonderfully even). However, I would have to disagree based on my experience with my piano about the tone and dynamics. Mine has a tremendous dynamic range. In fact, that is something I noticed right away when compared to the Yamaha's I had been trying. With the Yamahas, it always seemed like I could only play loud or louder--pianissimo was tough for me to accomplish on the Yamahas.

With respect to the tone, mine has a lovely, rather deep, warm, full tone, which from the beginning struck me as quite different from Yamaha's characteristically bright tone.

The only problem with "listening" to my comments above, is that my Sauter is the only one I have tried! So, for all I know, it's an anomaly. Seriously doubt it, though!

If you can afford it, and it speaks to you, get it! I am sure you will love it! thumb

Don't forget to post pics after you get it home! smile

Re: What Are Your Thoughts On Sauter Pianos? #284037
08/14/05 10:43 PM
08/14/05 10:43 PM
California
virtuoso_735 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
virtuoso_735  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
California
What's the list price of a Sauter Ragazza 122?

"If music be the food of love, play on." -William Shakespeare
Re: What Are Your Thoughts On Sauter Pianos? #284038
08/15/05 01:51 AM
08/15/05 01:51 AM
Surrey, B.C.
Norbert Offline
Norbert  Offline
Surrey, B.C.
Last Saturday an elderly gentleman and his wife came to my store and initially started playing some of my top uprights.

It became quickly clear the gentleman was looking for a *good* upright for himself.

[People usually like to wander through the rows of grands first.....]

Eventually he got to my Sauter 130 Competence as if some magic force was pulling him to it.

He went to play the piano for about 10 minutes.

When I approached him to ask what he thought about this piano and if he had any questions, he simply asked:

"When can you deliver it? I live on Vancouver Island and would like to buy this piano" [about 2 hour Ferry ride from us]

I asked him if... 'he was sure'...??

His wife, besides him, with tears in her eyes and said:

"Robert had been looking for his dream piano for quite some time. His teacher owns a Sauter grand and my husband has been mesmerized by its sound ever since. We made the effort to find you,as we are quite a ways and came here by Ferry. Before we visited 3 other stores in town...just to make sure.We are not rich people but I want my husband to enjoy this piano for the rest of our lives"

Dont ask what I sold it for.

I only hope that Ulrich Sauter will be good enough to let me have another one...... wink

And yeah: CONGRATULATIONS, Robert!!

May you enjoy - in fact - for life! thumb

norbert

www.heritagepianos.com
604-951-8642
Re: What Are Your Thoughts On Sauter Pianos? #284039
08/15/05 01:54 AM
08/15/05 01:54 AM
Utah
Eins Offline
500 Post Club Member
Eins  Offline
500 Post Club Member
Utah
Originally posted by tk:
Hey, Eins, I hope you aren't talking about mine (the Cura model)!! I think my Maly Sauter is gorgeous!!
Oh noooooooooooooo. I was talking about the Rondo.

One of the funny things about the stock market is that every time one person buys, another sells, and both think they are astute.
-William Feather
Re: What Are Your Thoughts On Sauter Pianos? #284040
08/15/05 04:29 PM
08/15/05 04:29 PM
Demosthenese Offline OP
Demosthenese  Offline OP
Virtuoso,

The Ragazza 122 I'm looking at has a list price of 11000 EUR. We were able to negotiate the price down to 9400 EUR.

Norbert, perhaps you might have a better idea how this "ranks" with other Sauters on the market? Unless, of course discussing this is disallowed in this forum.

(I'm still curious though myself! Wondering if we're getting a good deal, or being ripped off...)

Demosthenese

Re: What Are Your Thoughts On Sauter Pianos? #284041
08/16/05 03:06 PM
08/16/05 03:06 PM
Surrey, B.C.
Norbert Offline
Norbert  Offline
Surrey, B.C.
Demosthenese:

Your question can only be answered:

ONE PIANO AT A TIME!!

I get my own surprises each time I visit a factory.

And one thing I learned is that, at least with the larger uprights, *size* is by no means a reliable predictor of quality.

Not even SOUND QUALITY.....

For my own home and family I [unexpectedly...] picked a 49" Viesta, a total killer piano !! thumb

norbert

www.heritagepianos.com
604-951-8642

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai RX6 heavy action
by Radio.Octave. 06/23/18 03:50 PM
Accident-prone accidentals in printed music
by FrankCox. 06/23/18 02:01 PM
Reyburn Grand Cyberhammer
by Miguel Rey. 06/23/18 12:37 PM
Should I say goodbye?
by eyeluvlucy. 06/23/18 11:48 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Steingraeber
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics186,108
Posts2,726,956
Members90,435
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission