Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
93 registered members (36251, AudreyJean, bobrunyan, Akaitsuki, anotherscott, ADWyatt, 27 invisible), 1,439 guests, and 582 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Major v Minor #2839282 04/15/19 01:43 AM
M
meaculpa Offline OP
OP Offline
M
What is the difference between. Major and Minor music pieces?

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Major v Minor [Re: meaculpa] #2839289 04/15/19 02:15 AM
Cheshire Chris Offline
Major and minor scales have different thirds. A minor third is a semitone lower than a major third.

Chris

Yamaha P-515, Yamaha Reface CP.
Re: Major v Minor [Re: meaculpa] #2839307 04/15/19 03:47 AM
Animisha Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Also, generally, Major pieces are more happy, and Minor pieces more sad.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
Re: Major v Minor [Re: meaculpa] #2839513 04/15/19 12:00 PM
keystring Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by meaculpa

In the teacher forum you asked the same question, but worded it differently, asking about major and minor keys (pieces are in keys, so it's the same thing wink . You've gotten some answers about scales which is a different thing, though related in some ways.

I don't know what you do and don't know, so some basics: A piece that is in the key of C major will have one "home note" called the Tonic. It wants to end on the Tonic note, (C in this case), and will tend to hover around that note - you just feel that C is "home". A scale that goes from Tonic to Tonic also sort of expresses that key. In C major, you will hear a C major scale. In C minor (going from C to C) you will hear a C minor scale. There are several common minor scales (natural minor, harmonic minor, melodic minor) but they all have one thing in common - the 3rd note is a semitone lower than if it were C major (Eb instead of E). The chord built on the Tonic, is CEG in a C major piece = a major chord; CEbG in a C minor piece = a minor chord. Play these on the piano and see if you hear the difference.

This ties it into Chris's explanation about major and minor scales.

-------------
In the ordinary music we get in the first years, the patterns are rather straightforward. You have a key signature with one sharp (F#). The piece could be in G major, or E minor. How can you tell?

- If it is in G major, the Tonic will be G. It will tend to hover around G, the last note will probably be G, and the final chord will probably be GBD (G major triad). The V7-I cadence is D7-G so you'll see those, especially where sections seem to be finishing a statement. The main scale will be the G major scale.

- If it is E minor, the Tonic will be E: last note probably E; final chord = EGB (E minor triad); main scale built on Tonic will be a minor scale. Your V7-Im (V7-i) cadence will be B7-E. B7 has a D# in it, which is not contained in the key signature, so you'll see #'s beside the D's as accidentals. Pepperings of accidentals of this kind, on that note degree, are a strong clue at a glance that your piece is in the relative minor key.

-----------
Does this answer your question in any way?

note: I tend to do typos esp. in naming notes, and with PW's "improved system" I won't be able to correct them in time. be kind wink but correct me please if I've goofed.

Re: Major v Minor [Re: meaculpa] #2839594 04/15/19 03:33 PM
D
Docbop Offline
D
It's music so it's all about sound so have to listen to pieces you know what key (or keys) they are in and listen, listen, listen.

Being my background is Jazz the traditional first tune people are given to learn to solo on is Autumn Leaves. What make the song easy, but challenging is it's in one key signature so all the notes are the same, but it's in two keys a major key and it's relative minor. So as an improviser you have the same notes but have to make them sound major in first part of melody and then in minor for the end of the melody.

So there are tons of versions of Autumn Leaves on YouTube the classic one beginning improvisers are told to listen to is the Cannonball Adderley version which has Miles Davis. Grab a copy of the leadsheet again available all over the internet and follow the chord changes as you listen and here how the same notes are major key then minor key. Autumn Leaves is played in Gmi a lot, but many say the original was in Emi and you'll find lead sheets in both floating around. This will get your ear used to sound of major vs minor.

Re: Major v Minor [Re: keystring] #2839735 04/16/19 02:10 AM
M
meaculpa Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by keystring

In the teacher forum you asked the same question, but worded it differently, asking about major and minor keys (pieces are in keys, so it's the same thing wink . You've gotten some answers about scales which is a different thing, though related in some ways.

I don't know what you do and don't know, so some basics: A piece that is in the key of C major will have one "home note" called the Tonic. It wants to end on the Tonic note, (C in this case), and will tend to hover around that note - you just feel that C is "home". A scale that goes from Tonic to Tonic also sort of expresses that key. In C major, you will hear a C major scale. In C minor (going from C to C) you will hear a C minor scale. There are several common minor scales (natural minor, harmonic minor, melodic minor) but they all have one thing in common - the 3rd note is a semitone lower than if it were C major (Eb instead of E). The chord built on the Tonic, is CEG in a C major piece = a major chord; CEbG in a C minor piece = a minor chord. Play these on the piano and see if you hear the difference.

-------------
In the ordinary music we get in the first years, the patterns are rather straightforward. You have a key signature with one sharp (F#). The piece could be in G major, or E minor. How can you tell?

- If it is in G major, the Tonic will be G. It will tend to hover around G, the last note will probably be G, and the final chord will probably be GBD (G major triad). The V7-I cadence is D7-G so you'll see those, especially where sections seem to be finishing a statement. The main scale will be the G major scale.

- If it is E minor, the Tonic will be E: last note probably E; final chord = EGB (E minor triad); main scale built on Tonic will be a minor scale. Your V7-Im (V7-i) cadence will be B7-E. B7 has a D# in it, which is not contained in the key signature, so you'll see #'s beside the D's as accidentals. Pepperings of accidentals of this kind, on that note degree, are a strong clue at a glance that your piece is in the relative minor key.

-----------

note: I tend to do typos esp. in naming notes, and with PW's "improved system" I won't be able to correct them in time. be kind wink but correct me please if I've goofed.

Keystring, I am a beginner learning piano for 4 years, with still some way to go, but I enjoy my lessons. I have rather neglected a lot of theory, which if course is a very important part of learning music. I shall copy and make a study of what you have written.
I thank you very much for your information and instruction , I shall definitely try out the exercise you set out.

Thank you everyone else for your input.

Last edited by meaculpa; 04/16/19 02:14 AM.
Re: Major v Minor [Re: meaculpa] #2839921 04/16/19 02:30 PM
peterws Offline
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by keystring

-------------

-----------

Keystring, I am a beginner learning piano for 4 years, with still some way to go, but I enjoy my lessons. I have rather neglected a lot of theory, which if course is a very important part of learning music. I shall copy and make a study of what you have written.
I thank you very much for your information and instruction , I shall definitely try out the exercise you set out.

Thank you everyone else for your input.

I understand nothing of what Chris's explanation means, and I'm too old to understand it now!

Major, or minor can become almost irrelevant if you play anything with blues idiom included since that scale predominates; but without that inclusion, there are clear moods involved.

Major - happy, bright, contemplative sometimes but variations within the music can induce other complex emotions whilst still retaining the major key. Also, many classics and early popular had a major - minor key change in the middle. The sad bit. "Middle eight", it was sometimes called in musicians terms.

Minor key music will induce sadness, regret, but also war, anger, force and is often used almost exclusively with blues for heavy metal, rock and jazz ballads. Most popular music is written in the Blues format, particularly that stuff featuring shrieking females.

The Blues scale is different from major or minor but it has a minor feel to it. I did a song for the ABF which had a blues inclusion in a major key setting. It did sound funny . . . .

Last edited by peterws; 04/16/19 02:34 PM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Re: Major v Minor [Re: meaculpa] #2839933 04/16/19 02:55 PM
Cheshire Chris Offline
I don't think it was my explanation you're referring to, Peter! All I said is that minor scales have a third that's a semitone lower than major scales. I'm sure that you understand that smile.

Chris

Re: Major v Minor [Re: meaculpa] #2839970 04/16/19 04:47 PM
T
Ted Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
T
For me, scales and chords are just arbitrary subsets of the keyboard. The notion that a particular subset of notes, or any musical feature for that matter, possesses ineluctable, universal meaning for all listening brains seems to me absurdly simplistic and severely restrictive. I can understand how personal associations can arise in an individual mind but these, at least for me, are intriguingly transient, this property being a source of immense joy and surprise in music.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
Re: Major v Minor [Re: meaculpa] #2839980 04/16/19 05:37 PM
cmb13 Online Content
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
You must have done a lot of acid in your time wink.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Re: Major v Minor [Re: cmb13] #2840003 04/16/19 07:54 PM
T
Ted Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by cmb13
You must have done a lot of acid in your time wink.

No, I have never tried it, and any connection eludes me.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
Re: Major v Minor [Re: meaculpa] #2840012 04/16/19 08:40 PM
cmb13 Online Content
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Just a joke, meant no offense...the connection is the meandering. It seems as though your playing style is free form, breaking the norms of convention, and flowing wherever it takes you. That's what an acid trip is said to be like. Turn on, tune in, drop out.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Re: Major v Minor [Re: cmb13] #2840014 04/16/19 09:04 PM
T
Ted Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by cmb13
Just a joke, meant no offense...the connection is the meandering. It seems as though your playing style is free form, breaking the norms of convention, and flowing wherever it takes you. That's what an acid trip is said to be like. Turn on, tune in, drop out.

Yes, Aldous Huxley wrote about his drug experiences while listening to music, explicitly in essays and implicitly in his novels. His personal musical taste remained ossified in historical convention though. I played and created orthodox stuff for decades, it isn't because I cannot do it, but because I ceased to be moved by it. At fifty-five I thought it might be fun to build a sort of private universe of music through improvisation. For myself it pleases me beyond measure. What other people think of it varies greatly but I couldn't go on as before until the death knock, that would be too dismal altogether.

Re: Major v Minor [Re: meaculpa] #2840346 04/18/19 03:21 AM
W
wouter79 Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Major and minor are two important categories of scales/keys in which music can be composed

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_and_minor

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Major v Minor [Re: Ted] #2840354 04/18/19 03:53 AM
Cheshire Chris Offline
Originally Posted by Ted
For me, scales and chords are just arbitrary subsets of the keyboard. The notion that a particular subset of notes, or any musical feature for that matter, possesses ineluctable, universal meaning for all listening brains seems to me absurdly simplistic and severely restrictive.

I strongly disagree, Ted. I think that fact that our brain considers notes played on strings whose lengths are simple integer ratios (the basis of scales) to be harmonious is "hardwired" into us. It's something that's been known for thousands of years.

Chris

Re: Major v Minor [Re: Cheshire Chris] #2840364 04/18/19 05:11 AM
T
Ted Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Cheshire Chris

I strongly disagree, Ted. I think that fact that our brain considers notes played on strings whose lengths are simple integer ratios (the basis of scales) to be harmonious is "hardwired" into us. It's something that's been known for thousands of years.

Indeed, but the closeness or otherwise of the frequencies wasn't what I meant. As usual I did not express myself clearly. I was thinking more of universal meanings for any specific sound, whether consonant or dissonant. So were I to play a certain scale, a certain chord, no matter in what context of rhythm or phrase, all listeners would assign the same external meaning to it ? I cannot see how that could possibly be true, musical features are abstract entities, not like words, which elicit invariant meaning. I concur that recognition of related frequencies might be hardwired, but find it difficult to believe that their musical meaning is hardwired. That might be a better way of putting it.

I know it is not so for me and I am very pleased about that else whatever happened in an improvisation wouldn't be much of a surprise !

Last edited by Ted; 04/18/19 05:21 AM.

Re: Major v Minor [Re: Ted] #2840367 04/18/19 05:54 AM
Cheshire Chris Offline
Originally Posted by Ted

Indeed, but the closeness or otherwise of the frequencies wasn't what I meant. As usual I did not express myself clearly. I was thinking more of universal meanings for any specific sound, whether consonant or dissonant. So were I to play a certain scale, a certain chord, no matter in what context of rhythm or phrase, all listeners would assign the same external meaning to it ?

I agree with that, certainly.

Chris

Re: Major v Minor [Re: meaculpa] #2840435 04/18/19 11:51 AM
M
Marcel M Offline
M
Regarding music in major or minor, here is nice example of how Canon in D (originaly in major) sounds in D minor:
https://youtu.be/XZgiNnGB8m4?t=232

It is BTW very beautiful rock-guitar version of Canon.

Kawai CA48
Re: Major v Minor [Re: Marcel M] #2840441 04/18/19 12:26 PM
Animisha Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Marcel M
Regarding music in major or minor, here is nice example of how Canon in D (originaly in major) sounds in D minor:

Transposing a piece from major to minor or the other way around can be quite an entertaining and educative experience. For instance, Happy birthday in minor sounds totally depressing.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
Re: Major v Minor [Re: meaculpa] #2840455 04/18/19 02:30 PM
keystring Offline
Subtleties aside, people have to start somewhere and when a beginner asks about major and minor key signatures, then they need some kind of reference point. That is what I tried to give. You learn pretty soon even in "classical" music that a piece that is in a minor key can modulate into the relative major, and a lot of other things. But it's good to start somewhere, but also not get hung up on rigid definitions and such.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

ad
Rob Mullins Holiday Album
Rob Mullins Holiday Album

Rob is an amazing jazz pianist in LA,a composer, and a friend of mine.
Frank B. / Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
Christmas Ornaments Music Theme
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
NU1X or U1 Silent made in Indonesia (1 year used)
by Pianowill - 12/15/19 07:57 PM
Double sharp F in key of G
by FrankCox - 12/15/19 06:58 PM
Posters Ignorance is Bliss
by Mr Jazz Man - 12/15/19 04:11 PM
Recordings - and comparing pianos
by Colin Miles - 12/15/19 03:56 PM
Why are bridge pins so short?
by Ralphiano - 12/15/19 01:22 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,675
Posts2,902,000
Members95,249
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission