2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (CharlesXX, bcalvanese, AlkansBookcase, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, Carey, accordeur, 1957, 10 invisible), 2,154 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 26 of 237 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 236 237
A
arc Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
What exposure do you need to protect against?

Dust and cat hair. And then more cat hair. And the cats themselves.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
N1X is a dust magnet frown I thought my apartment was dust free compared to the previous ones, since we live on a high floor, far from busy roads and indeed there’s much less visible dust on the furniture than before, it’s much cleaner than what I’m used to. Well, I realized I was wrong after I got the N1X laugh It seems to collect and somehow suck all the dust in the universe...

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I meant to pose my question to pianokat123.
Originally Posted by arc7urus

A
arc Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A

Maybe piano_kat_123 has no cats ;-)

She (?) is a dog person. wink

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
J
J
Originally Posted by pianokat123
Hi all. I'm still awaiting my N1X - Yamaha just advised my dealer it will now be a few weeks later than expected so looking at mid May I believe. Can I ask, and sorry if it's been asked before, has anyone found a decent cover for the N1X? Or anyone that would make one to size online? Nothing too old fashioned or frilly preferably! laugh

My dealer is advising mid-late June delivery despite we are on the same island. Guess this is also why our price are heavily discounted. wink

I am going to stitch a few towels together to make the piano cover. laugh

Last edited by J5on; 04/17/19 06:37 AM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I have "not" watched this video yet... I guess this will be an interesting comparison to watch. Thanks, Bonners!:

Nord Grand, Kawai MP11 (v1), iMac 2017, Yamaha HS8's, Sennheiser 650, Focusrite 2i4, Pianoteq 6.4.0, Steinway Model A, Mason and Hamlin Model AA, Piano Marvel: 3C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I watched the video and both the piano's sound great! I am assuming they are direct in recorded.

I "think" I preferred the N1X for my style of play or my hearing. The N1X seems to have a little bit more "bite" to the samples and the NV10 is slightly more mellow in tone. This makes sense since the real AP's sound that way in real life.

Now, it is just your own personal flavor of sound that you prefer. I am so happy that the hybrids have come out now and these days of playing DP's and their inferior sound are going away.

Nord Grand, Kawai MP11 (v1), iMac 2017, Yamaha HS8's, Sennheiser 650, Focusrite 2i4, Pianoteq 6.4.0, Steinway Model A, Mason and Hamlin Model AA, Piano Marvel: 3C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by HwyStar

Now, it is just your own personal flavor of sound that you prefer. I am so happy that the hybrids have come out now and these days of playing DP's and their inferior sound are going away.

Since I live just down the road from Bonners Showroom in Reigate and I went and played on the two hybrids and a Fuerich. My report on that visit is here
https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...ha-n1x-released-at-namm.html#Post2823274

[Linked Image]

P
P
I watched the video and both the piano's sound great! I am assuming they are direct in recorded.

I "think" I preferred the N1X for my style of play or my hearing. The N1X seems to have a little bit more "bite" to the samples and the NV10 is slightly more mellow in tone. This makes sense since the real AP's sound that way in real life.

One of the benefits of the N1X is that it comes with 2 distinct samples - the Yamaha CFX that is indeed "bright" and the Bosendorfer that is a lot more mellow. The NV10 has just one sound, but provides a number of different filters to make it brighter

I haven't been able to watch the video above - it is comparing NV10 with N1X or the N1?

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by percy64
I haven't been able to watch the video above - it is comparing NV10 with N1X or the N1?

N1X. It is only the second N1X video on Youtube since NAMM (after Chrispy's!)

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G

One of the benefits of the N1X is that it comes with 2 distinct samples - the Yamaha CFX that is indeed "bright" and the Bosendorfer that is a lot more mellow. The NV10 has just one sound, but provides a number of different filters to make it brighter

While true for the SK-EX rendering engine, the NV10 comes with ~17 different pianos (probably 5-7 samples distinct samples) including EX Grand, SK-5, and upright pianos. You'd be forgoing the advanced rendering engine, but IIRC the N1X reserves some of its features for its flagship CFX sample only, too.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gombessa

While true for the SK-EX rendering engine, the NV10 comes with ~17 different pianos (probably 5-7 samples distinct samples) including EX Grand, SK-5, and upright pianos. You'd be forgoing the advanced rendering engine, but IIRC the N1X reserves some of its features for its flagship CFX sample only, too.

Well, yes and no. On the N1X both the CFX and the Bosendorfer use 4-channel sampling. I would assume they are equally premium and make use of all the possible engine effect like resonances, smooth release, etc. It was on Clavinova pianos that the Bosendorfer lacked some features. On the NV10 you have only one rendering piano, the SK-EX, whereas the others are stereo samples with the older engine.

Last edited by CyberGene; 04/17/19 10:13 AM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
P
P

Maybe piano_kat_123 has no cats ;-)

Haha! No cats, but a dog, and two small children... often (always?) with sticky hands. Any extra form of protection can only help! Whilst they're young anyway, I totally agree it's a shame to cover it as it's a beautiful instrument.

Sigh, just need to be patient now. Arghhh!

P
P

Ah - I see a brand new video - I will look forwards to watching it later - but I am pretty sure Bonners have already put out an N1X video (and of course an NV10 one).

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
YMMV, In my opinion the “older” samples of the SKEX, EX, and especially the SK5, are still very good. Playing SK5 on speakers in a room just sounds so realistic to me. cool

Kawai NV10
A
arc Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A

In the NV10 you have several settings to configure the sound output. Since this is a sample-based instrument there are obvious limits, but, nevertheless, you have some room for adjustments. And then you have the "characters" in pianist mode that work as kind of presets using different "microphone" position and mix settings. These also significantly change the sound profile. The N1X seems to be more limited in this regard (unless the external app unlocks additional settings).

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by CyberGene
[quote=Gombessa]
Well, yes and no. On the N1X both the CFX and the Bosendorfer use 4-channel sampling. I would assume they are equally premium and make use of all the possible engine effect like resonances, smooth release, etc.

Is it confirmed that the Bosendorfer is also multi-sampled?

What about binaural audio?

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
A
arc Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A

Is it confirmed that the Bosendorfer is also multi-sampled?

Yes according to the specs: "Features 4-point spatial acoustic samples of two world class concert pianos: the Yamaha CFX and the Bosendorfer Imperial" (https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/pianos/avantgrand/n1x/index.html)

What about binaural audio?

Binaural audio only applies to the CFX.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

Ah - I see a brand new video - I will look forwards to watching it later - but I am pretty sure Bonners have already put out an N1X video (and of course an NV10 one).

They have, of course, put out videos on both. This new one is a head-to-head comparison of the N1X and NV10, though.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Page 26 of 237 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 236 237

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission